A King's Legacy Ch. 17

Story Info
Contact is made at last. Aster vents a bit too much.
6.6k words
4.76
2k
3

Part 18 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapter 17: Worthy of Love

Byron Aschefell slowly shuffled across the large dining area the morning of the full moon, his cane tapping lightly as he went. In the time since the attack, the Aschefell estate had grown terribly quiet and somber. It seemed the older wolf's family was destined to be broken apart time and time again.

With Rust declared missing, Rouge had retracted into herself, reminding the old wolf of what the once reserved beast was like when the pregnant fox first arrived at his door with his son. She hadn't even left her room in days, and the only reason Byron knew she was still eating at all was due to him having a servant bring her what she needed. He knew the moon would make this trial even harder for her that day, the same as it would for his son, Amboss.

Amboss was passed out in his seat, sleeping propped up against one table in the dining area. There were a number of emptied wine bottles surrounding the broken wolf, with some laying shattered on the floor. Amboss hadn't been holding up well as it was, something Byron truly understood in a personal way, but the older wolf truly feared for his son's mentality with the moon in play, so he needed to check on him.

As of that morning, this was the longest Amboss had ever been without firing up his forge. It was simply too painful without the joyful fox there to brighten the walls with both his cheerful laugh, and his steady inquiries. Everything seemed too painful without his son, so the wolf had simply been drinking that pain away until he could finally rest, and wake to repeat his routine of misery all over again. Amboss Aschefell lost something far more precious than even his right hand during that attack. Amboss finally understood why his father never complained about his leg injury. Losing Silbern must have felt like a far greater price as well.

As the dazed blacksmith stirred and raised his bloodshot eyes to meet his father's own, Byron began to speak.

"My son... I know what you are dealing with. I understand the need for your vices here, but I have to ask that you refrain for today. Your wife needs you to be strong, she needs her husband, Amboss... That was something I once overlooked too in my sorrow."

The younger wolf grunted as he simply turned his head, and reached for a bottle on the table. After finding it was empty, the broken blacksmith tossed it over his shoulder with a growl of frustration as the glass shattered against the wall. The disheveled canine stood, and began staggering towards the rack where the bottles were kept. Amboss pulled another and returned to his seat with a defeated plop. The blacksmith pulled the cork with his teeth, turned and spat it out, and took a hefty swig of the maroon contents, ignoring his father's pleas completely. Byron could say nothing more at the time. It would only make things worse, so the older knight only lowered his head, and made his leave.

As Byron made his way to the second floor, he paused on the steps ever so briefly. For a split second, the wolf almost felt a push at his consciousness, assuming Amboss was trying to reach out after all, but felt the attempt fade just as quickly. The old beast only let out a sigh of defeat, and continued on to where his former student Jagón still rested in the very room the panther's son, Aster, had used a short time prior.

Jagón had not improved in the slightest, but he hadn't gotten any worse either. The panther was lucky in that regard, as he was the only one in the estate that hadn't fallen to ill spirits by that point. Byron worried for his friend, but knew the knight would find his way back eventually. Byron had a servant come by twice a day to get some water and food in the panther, as well as to tend to any other needs the resting beast may have had, but even still, the wolf liked to check on Jagón personally at least once a day. The seasoned wolf enjoyed getting to vent to someone. Today was certainly no different.

"Well my old friend... It is shaping up to be a long night under such a sorrowful moon... Everyone already had such heavy thoughts, and now, I worry how they will be able to cope with them at all... I don't know how I will cope with it... Our sons were doing so great together, they really had found solidity and comfort with one another... To tell you the truth, I was so hopeful that our families would be joined... I was happy that these walls could hold an entire family once more. I... I had so much hope for those two..."

Byron felt his voice break, and turned away from his friend, determined not to let the tears start falling, for fear they wouldn't stop under the influence of the moon. So instead, the older beast simply made his leave to check in with their other guest for the time being.

Talan had refused to leave his father's side until he woke, as such, Byron had invited the knight to stay at their estate for the time being. The young panther was desperately clinging to the last bit of his family that was still within reach, but Talan had a different coping method than the rest in the estate, and had spent the last week vigorously training his body from sun up to sun down. The panther executed combat drill after combat drill, using his staff to beat the training dummies in the courtyard mercilessly between his exercise routine, ensuring his body was well exhausted before he fell into his dreams. As it turned out, Talan vented the same way his father had when he first lost his wife and cub. Byron simply watched from a distance for a while, silently admiring the panther's adept skill. Truly, a Venatus son indeed. The wolf finally spoke as the young knight splintered a training dummy beneath a particularly hard blow.

"If only all of our enemies fell so easily beneath such might."

Talan looked to his father's mentor, and bowed lightly before he answered.

"Good morning, Sir Aschefell. I pray today has been easier on you."

The older wolf forced a smile. He was glad Talan was able to remain somewhat composed, at least. Byron nodded back.

"Thank you, Talan. I pray the same for you."

The pair talked on for a bit more, both grateful for a short distraction. Talan was struck with a small bit of panic when the older wolf suddenly stopped halfway through a sentence, and clutched at his right eye, seemingly straining as he did so. The young panther ran to the old wolf, asking if he was alright, but Byron stood back up shortly, releasing his grasp before he answered the panther.

"I am fine... Just... I think my tired mind may be playing tricks on me a bit... I think I could use some rest. Please, don't let me hinder your training any further. I'll check back in before dinner... And Talan? I know the reasons are far from ones to celebrate... But I am glad you decided to stay for a while as the capitol figures out how to move forward... I have enjoyed having a small bit of company, and this old wolf has found a bit of comfort in our talks. Thank you for that."

Talan bowed his head lightly and answered the beast with gratitude. In truth, he was just as grateful for the short reprieves and distractions as well. Anything to stop his incessant worry for his younger brother's sake. The panther resumed his training, and the old wolf made his way back to his private quarters a moment later while his mind dared to finally hope.

'It's faint... But... Stahl... could... could it be you, my son?'

The old wolf steadied his mind in the darkness of his quarters. Byron had many years of experience using his family bloodskill, but even still, if there was some hope his son really was still out there, the wolf would require a bit of help from someone far more proficient in its use. The beast raised his right hand to his right eye, and sent forth his call for aid.

'Bearer of my blood, lend me your knowledge. Daughter, are you there?'

The beast received no answer for quite some time. Eventually, he felt her presence open up just a bit. And for the first time in over two years, Byron Aschefell felt his daughter allow his consciousness to enter her mind as she spoke to him.

'Father... I... I don't know what to say. We received your letter... Mother isn't taking it well, as expected... And even young Rust... Loch hasn't said a word about it, but I know it truly bothers him... He tries to act tough, like he doesn't care anymore... Maybe he really doesn't... I... It's good to hear from you, father... Are you alright?'

The old wolf was simply grateful she had heeded his call as he gave his answer.

'I am surviving, my daughter... I am truly sorry to make such a request after such a long silence between us... Especially since you already answered my call from such a distance... But I need your assistance with something... Something only you could pull off... I need you to use a stacked Shared Sense with me... Please, Erden... I know just as well as you do why you don't use it anymore, but please, I think... I think Stahl may be alive... Do you remember when Silbern visited your mother's estate? How without the moon, we couldn't feel him from here? Well, at least, I couldn't... When we tried alone, we just got that pain behind our eye... But when we stacked together... I think Stahl is just even further away... And you're the prime user in our family. If anyone could forge and hold that connection, it's you...'

Byron held his breath as his daughter weighed her decision. Erden gave her reply a short moment later.

'If my brother may live, then of course I can put aside my personal feelings. Do you want me to reach for him? Are you prepared? You know how much it can strain at a distance, even with the moon. I can handle it, but I don't want to push your mind any further... I can do this alone if you need?'

Byron quickly dismissed the need.

'My daughter... My mind has been plenty strained enough these past few days. I assure you, it could stand to strain a bit more for the sake of such hope. Forge the connection. I will lend you what I have freely to boost your range.'

It was Erden's time to respond.

'Fine, but I'm pulling Amboss in too then... Might as well get everyone here to help.'

Before Byron could object over his son's current inebriated mind, his daughter's sharp presence pierced through Amboss's defenses as if they weren't even there, and drew her brother into her mind as well. Amboss was fighting vainly the entire time. When he finally submitted to her power, he spat his words with drunken poison.

'OH! LOOK WHO FINALLY GRACES US WITH HER PRESENCE! THE PRIME BLOODSKILL USER HERSELF! I HAVE TO TELL YOU, MUST BE NICE TO JUST CUT EVERYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR AWAY. SURE WOULD BE GREAT TO CHOOSE WHEN I WANT TO WEIGH IN ON FAMILY EMERGENCIES!'

Byron simply sighed. He was afraid of that. Amboss became quite the asshole when he drank, and him and his sister were notorious for going at each other. His daughter was a far more fearsome opponent, however, especially when she was linked to another user.

'Oh, great to see some things never change... And you wonder why I don't reach out. But if you don't want to hear from Stahl, I can just cut you back off. Maybe permanently sever your connection while I'm at it. Better yet, strip that yapping voice of your's away, since as you said, I DON'T want to hear it. I'm sure Rouge would LOVE a break from such a whiny little, drunken mutt mouthing off after all. It's truly ASTOUNDING how I can still somehow sense the liquor on your mind from even this distance away.'

Amboss grew silent, knowing very well his sister didn't make idle threats, but more intrigued by what she had said.

'Stahl is alive? Then... RUST! IS HE-'

Erden cut him off before his spill ever started.

'We don't know yet... It's why we are here though... Look, we are burning energy here... Are you both ready? I'll be drawing off you two first, if we can even make the connection that is... Amboss, you'll be the first knocked off, so be quick to ask what you need. Father, I'll be turning over most control to you after. I'll focus on holding as long as I can, but I promise nothing... I am a bit out of practice.'

As Amboss grumbled something along the lines of, "And whose fault is that?" Which Erden ignored, the sister began focusing her skill. She reached far on her own, and felt nothing, so she steeled her resolve, drew upon her father and brother to strengthen the connection, and pushed outwards once again.

'Bearer of my blood, lend me your knowledge... Stahl, my brother, are you there?'

Stahl was idly walking the streets, still thinking deeply on what Mollis could need to discuss with Aster with such a serious tone. Then the wolf hit a knee as he strained from the sudden pain behind his right eye, drawing a few questioning glances from the nearby orcs. Stahl swore he felt his heart skip a beat as the familiar feeling of his bloodskill being activated surged within him. The connection was a bit weak, but the power behind it certainly wasn't. Before the connection ever fully formed, Stahl knew there could only be one person behind it. He spoke his elated thought before his sister ever had a chance to.

'ERDEN! BY THE GODS! I... I've never been so happy to hear fro-'

Amboss barged in, interrupting the younger brother before he ever finished his sentence.

'STAHL! IS RUST WITH YOU? IS MY SON SAFE? PLEASE! BY THE GODS, TELL ME HE IS ALRIGHT?'

Stahl winced at the booming voice. His sister had stacked connections to reach him. Stahl noted his father's presence as well, marking the first time in over two years all users were linked at once. He quickly answered his brother, standing to rush to the blacksmith where the young fox was working away.

'Rust is with me and Aster! He is safe, brother! We are all safe. I know he wants to hear from you! Give me just a moment! Erden, can you link our vision too?'

His sister was intently focusing on holding their minds together, but still squeezed out her answer.

'Maybe... I can give you a couple seconds at least... Hurry though... Gods, this is exhausting.'

As she finished her statement, Stahl turned the corner into the blacksmith panting profusely as he shouted to the young fox who had been working away. Rust was worried about his uncle, he seemed to be under great stress, but when the wolf spoke, the fox dropped the hammer he had been affixing a new handle to, barely avoiding his paws as it crashed into the dirt right between them. His father was there.

As Erden forged their visual connection, Stahl knelt down to look into the young fox's eyes, letting his older brother see for himself. Stahl spoke for Amboss, placing a gentle hand on each side of his nephew's shoulders.

"Rosten! My son... Thank the gods... I thought... I thought you were taken from me... Are you hurt? Are you alright?"

Rust was already crying profusely, the moon had made him quite homesick that afternoon, which he had tried and failed to bury in his work, so this was the best gift he could ask for as he stuttered his response.

"Dad... I... I'm ok. I'm with Stahl, so I'm ok... I miss you so much... Is mom there? Is she alright too? I was so worried about you, that demon... I... I didn't know if you... I just... I'm so happy to hear from you, dad!"

Stahl quickly picked back up as his brother was rapidly running out of time.

"We are fine, my son... We will be ok now... I'm coming to get you, I swear it, I'm coming to take you home, my cub. Just... Just be strong until then. Stay by your uncle. Stay out of danger. I love you, Rust. By the gods, I truly love you more than anything."

Stahl knew his brother was crying, and that overflow of emotion even forced a tear to fall from his own eye. Rust lunged forward, giving his "Father," the biggest hug he could manage as he simply wept with him.

Erden gave them all the time she could, but Stahl felt her straining, and his shared vision quickly blurred. He made the call himself.

'It's alright, Erden, you can drop Amboss now. We still have much to discuss.'

As Stahl quickly explained to Rust that he needed to go, the meek fox simply nodded, not wanting to say goodbye yet, but knowing it was what was needed. He was happy with what he got. He was just happy to know his father really had made it out in one piece. The fox wasn't exactly correct in that assumption, but Stahl wasn't planning on revealing his brother's missing hand to the cub. Rust deserved a small victory.

Stahl doubled back, and ran to get Mollis and Aster before moving to Prince Tyfin. When the wolf proudly exclaimed the good news as he burst into the door, he couldn't help but feel there was something off about the air between the human and the hare. The usual friendliness and sexual tension wasn't there, but a heavy silence and somber expressions certainly were. Stahl wanted to know what had happened, but their time was short as it was.

Mollis turned to the wolf, his face shifting back to his usual cheery expression before he declared they needed to get to the prince in that moment. Aster followed the pair out the door, though, remaining silent all the while.

Prince Tyfin was still speaking with Chief Crag when he heard the wolf's call from outside. His breathing stopped entirely in anticipation. The Prince quickly bowed his head, and announced his leave, turning away from the orc chief before he even had time to give his own bow. The prince hurried from the building, and immediately began asking the wolf questions when he emerged.

"What news do you have? The Capitol? My father?"

Stahl began repeating what his father told him, bearing a look of remorse for his prince as he was forced to be the one to deliver the verdict.

"Prince Tyfin... I bring troubling news... Your father has fallen. King Alocer has gone to the afterworld to be with his queen... You are the rightful king of Alora now... But even that has its own set of hurdles."

As Stahl paused to let Prince Tyfin process that information, the prince could only close his eyes and turn his head as his worst fear was confirmed. Stahl wanted to give him more time, but that was something they were quickly running out of, so he continued.

"I am sorry to be the one to deliver this news, my king... But there is more... The capitol... The capitol has been declared as lost. When you all disappeared, something else took your place... My king, I cannot be for certain... But I believe... We think-"

The prince cut the wolf off.

"It's a legendary beast, isn't it? So the rumors are true? A beast has awoken in Alora... Which one?"

Stahl paused for a moment, attempting to grasp that his father really was speaking the truth before he mimicked his speech.

"The beast of the sky... The great bird with wings of fire... The Crimson Phoenix. I know this is troubling enough... But there is one more thing we have to discuss while there is time... Before your father fell, He... He thought you were dead... We thought ALL of you were dead... He invoked the Regicide's Endeavor. We may be able to fight it, since his heir still lives after all... But multiple beasts have already placed their name among contenders, and the order was given under activated life oaths... We may be able to make little argument to invalidate his final order. You may be the rightful king, Tyfin, but it may not be so simple reclaiming your crown."

Tyfin weighed on these words heavily, knowing he couldn't hesitate with their limited time, but making sure he was confident in his decision. He wasn't sure he was the king his people needed anyway.

"What great houses have laid their claim? Who aspires to rule our kingdom."

Stahl began repeating his father's words once more.

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers
12