A King's Legacy Ch. 25

Story Info
Rust excels. Aster struggles. Oust reaches a breaking point.
6.9k words
4.78
1.4k
0

Part 25 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapter 25: Strength

Stahl studiously scoped his surroundings, waiting for the impending attack to launch. His opponent was an adaptive one, using their abilities and the landscape together to form quick tactics, and launch unpredictable attacks in barrages of flashing steel. Rust was quickly proving himself more than both formidable, and capable in battle. Stahl focused himself as he strained to hear the lightest rustle of leaves left by the nimble fox's footsteps. He almost didn't turn in time to intercept the cub, striking down at the leaping fox with his sheathed blade, catching Rust across the back in a quick counter. The fox fell to the ground with a grunt, huffing as he spoke in disappointment.

"I really thought I had you that time..." Stahl chuckled at his nephew, not hiding his glee as he made the jab.

"You almost did. Guess all those years of sneaking around and eavesdropping on everyone may come in handy for you after all. I barely heard you that time." Rust flushed beneath his orange fur at the callout, but quickly steeled himself with a shake of the head when he replied.

"Let's go again. I have an idea." Stahl crossed his arms as he sighed a bit, answering the cub with far less enthusiasm.

"Its already been nearly two hours. I only promised you one. Besides, the sun is setting on us anyway. We should be getting back." Rust stood, looking up in his uncle's eyes with his best pleading face, emphasizing his words as he spoke.

"Just one more? Please?" Stahl took a single look into Rust's sparkling blue eyes before he folded like a napkin with a partially hidden grunt of annoyance.

"...One more." Rust nearly jumped in excitement as he walked away a few paces, gazing off into the forest as he whispered ever so softly among the trees.

"Mark." The cub was gone in a flash, Stahl took his stance, listening carefully around him as his eyes darted around for clues. Rust had discovered he needn't speak the trigger loudly at all, that barely an inaudible whisper would work, making it far more useful for stealth. Stahl had been directing the cub well the passed two evenings, and the third day of training was really showing the progress the fox had made already. Stahl hadn't told him too much about it, and Rust didn't pry since he was finally getting treated like an adult, but the wolf did do his best to help his nephew understand how his bloodskill worked.

A rustle to his left drew the wolf's attention for a split second. Just in time to see the fox vanish once more into the shadows of the dense forest. A bead of sweat rolled down the wolf's brow, the heavy humidity in the center of the thicket made the forest feel more like a jungle in the heat, something the wolf assumed had to do with the river running through the heart of the thicket from the mountain visible to the north. The camp for the evening was only a short ways away, but there was no doubt they had made steady progress in their travels. There was one thing that was bothering the noble wolf though, something he just couldn't shake, ever since stepping foot into the thicket. Somebody was watching them.

Another crunch of leaves to Stahl's right side drew his attention, the wolf catching the fastest glimpse of his nephew before the fox flashed away once again. Rust was playing the long game here, waiting for Stahl to slip up and lower his guard. The wolf couldn't help but smile. He still had some reservations about teaching his nephew, but he was enjoying how dedicated the cub could be. Rosten Aschefell just may be the next head of the Aschefell line one day at this rate. Another rustle to his left drew him in.

Stahl turned quickly this time, taking a step forward just as his nephew disappeared again. A snap to his right made the wolf turn, right in time to see a stone bounce off the earth from where it was released midair. Stahl realized the fake out immediately, and turned as fast as he could. Rust had his sheathed dagger at the wolf's throat before he ever finished turning around. The fox's shit eating grin at his victory was smug enough to give Stahl's own a run for its money. The wolf just smiled at the cub, winked once, and motioned down, to where his left handed, sheathed sword was poised against the fox's ribs, ready to pierce his heart in the mock battle. Rust deflated a little, but Stahl quickly perked him back up with a compliment.

"Quick thinking. Good distraction. Did you teleport after dropping the rock? That was smart. If I were any slower, that would have been a sound defeat, Rust." The cub's smile returned, nodding in thanks for the praise. He spoke to his uncle-turned-mentor with respect.

"Thank you. I was hoping it would work how I thought it would. I really do appreciate this... You're a really good teacher you know... Ready to head back?" Stahl admittedly beamed in pride at those words.

"Well, you're a good student. I'm surprised you aren't pushing for another round though." Rust stood a bit straighter, using that best attempt at a grown-up voice of his.

"I told you I wouldn't argue with you if you teach me. I agreed to one more." Stahl nodded at the statement before he answered in a lighthearted voice.

"So you did... But we still have a little light left, and a few more minutes wont hurt anything. Want to go again?" Rust's eyes lit up as he happily accepted the offer. Stahl was enjoying it almost as much as the cub was.

They ended up going for three more rounds before finally calling it quits. The sun was disappearing behind the dense line of trees as they made their way back to the camp area a short walk away. As they trailed into the small clearing, the glow of firelight casted itself against their forms. Stahl paused for a second to process exactly what he was watching before he started towards the campfire, questions burning in his throat.

Aster was sweating heavily, his body had been well worked before his current training, the bull pushing him as far as ever. After near exhausting himself physically, Aster was tasked with working on the same technique he had been the two nights prior since entering the thicket. The human would raise his shield flat above the earth, climb atop it, and hold his balance in the air. A technique that was giving the human nothing but trouble trying to master. After he was able to maintain barely standing on his own shield, the bovine moved to the next step, creating a second shield, and jumping to it. Aster met the dirt after every attempt, never managing to stick the landing. The captain had decided to raise the stakes the third night, bringing Stahl face to face with the captain's bizarre training method.

Aster was atop his shield, standing cautiously as the disk threatened to teeter and throw him off. He was straining his arms to the side, seemingly in struggle to hold the shield steady while he remained afloat. He really didn't want to fall that night, and Stahl could see why. Aster and his shield were poised directly over the fire, the stout bull watching with crossed arms. Stahl finally cleared his throat as he spoke to his struggling mate.

"Hey Aster, Captain... This is some... Intense training." Aster almost lost his balance at the interruption, but quickly corrected himself as he strained to answer his wolf.

"Don't worry, the shield is fireproof... It doesn't get hot. I just can't lean too far over the edge is all." Stahl gave the bull watching his student a questioning look. The captain didn't budge, but did give his answer.

"He can handle it, Ash Pelt. Besides, we are almost finished. Panther's Son, make the jump and I'll let you rest tomorrow." Aster grunted out his reply.

"Yes Sir... Let me turn-" The bovine interrupted the boy before he ever finished speaking.

"No. Tonight, you jump over the flames. Give you some incentive not to fall." Aster flustered while he strained to regain his balance, not liking the idea of that. The human furrowed his brow, but steadied his resolve. He freed up his left arm, shaking to keep himself on solid footing with his right, but managing all the same. He raised a second shield roughly three feet away, just over the peak of the fire below. He could feel his control slipping. He could feel his strength draining. Even still, he would hold. He would make the jump. He braced himself, shifted his weight quickly, and leapt forward, landing directly in the center of his second shield.

The disk wobbled in place, tilted sharply, and dumped the human off, Aster barely landing outside of the burning embers. As he rolled to a stop face down on the ground, Aster clenched his fist, slammed it into the earth below, and shouted in his frustration.

"Dammit! I'm not getting any better at this! Can we PLEASE move to something else Captain?" The bull snorted a bit as he answered his irritated student.

"No. You learn to master one thing, and we move to the next. I don't do shortcuts, not when it comes to training. We will try again tomorrow." The human stood, stumbling a bit as he adjusted to standing on solid ground again. He opened his mouth to say something, but closed it after. He ended up just letting out a long sigh, and answering the captain with a sullen "Yes Sir." Aster walked a short ways away, and plopped down, feeling much too aggravated to talk. Stahl came to take a seat beside him, throwing an arm around his sulking mate as he drew him in closer.

"I didn't realize that's what you were working on. I can see the utility. You could run across air itself... I'm sort of mad I didn't think of it before." Aster replied, trying not to sound too distraught for his beast.

"It's probably best you didn't... I don't think it's something I'll be able to rely on. It's hard... It's like I'm raising my shield backwards. How do I brace my footing when I'm holding the ground beneath my boots in my hand? I'm going to snap a wrist if I keep this up... And the jump? It's like I'm leaping onto my own shoulders. None of it makes any sense." Stahl squeezed his boy lightly in comfort as he answered the human.

"I don't have any ideas, its hard to know how it feels for you. But... I do know that you will figure it out if there is a way. Maybe you should cool off for a while? A rinse in the river could do you some good. We can hit it from some different angles after, see if we come up with anything that might help?" Aster leaned into the touch for a moment, pressing his lips softly against his wolf's bicep as he took in a deep breath of his calming scent. After he exhaled, he answered his beast.

"I think you may be right... But I think I need to be alone for a while also. Sorry... I just-" Stahl broke the sentence off with a swiftly placed kiss on the forehead, answering before his human finished that sentence

"You don't have to explain, or apologize. Go get yourself right. Let me know what I can do when you are ready." Aster leaned in just a bit closer at the reassurance, grateful as ever for the understanding. He planted another tender peck on his wolf's arm, and stood, rising to head off towards the river in search of solace.

===

Sir Corper was beginning to worry about his pupil. Oust had been regressing significantly, at least in his technique. His movement was stagnant again, his heart not behind his strikes at all. He wasn't speaking as much, preoccupied with his own dredged up thoughts he had long ago buried. Corper worried he had tried to force the tiger to do too much too quickly, he was worried he had underestimated what the cub had really endured. He was correct to worry.

Oust was angry again. Before, it was a misguided anger, a hatred of the world itself for always being so ugly towards him... But it was different now, it was redirected. It was vengeful poison. It was a spiteful malice. It was a thirst to inflict that same pain right back on the one who had hurt him. Oust Candori was becoming more and more angry as memories of his father's tormenting resurfaced and lingered on his mind. There was one major memory he didn't dare think of though, one that he wasn't sure he could revisit yet. He had plenty of fuel for that fire as it was. The tiger struck again, his movement sloppy. The bear sighed as he lowered his own stance and spoke aloud.

"I'm heading back, you should stay here for a while." Oust simply looked to his mentor with inner frustration lingering beneath his gaze. He nodded at the bear, partly in thanks, partly in respect. Sir Corper turned, and took a few lightly splashing steps out of the river, pausing as he reached the bank to speak once more.

"It can be hard to believe when life has been so unforgiving... But you too, deserve happiness, even if you can't see it yet. There is light all around if you search for it. There is light in you as well... Lights shine brighter together, young one, especially in the darkness." The veteran stepped away without anymore words of wisdom for his student. Oust would have to reach his own conclusion at that point. The brown bear had done what he could. The tiger watched him depart before he turned back towards the river, took a step forward into slightly deeper water, and started his movements all over again. His thoughts only wandered on all the while. His peace was disrupted. His passion and proficiency were both smothered by doubt, and rage.

Sir Corper took his time returning to camp, his mind heavy in the early night. The bear was so distracted, he almost didn't notice the human until he was already upon him. The large beast stopped on the game trail to nod at the boy. Aster averted his gaze, but nodded all the same. He wanted to like the bear, he'd had a human wife after all... But he had made it hard to trust him, to feel safe near him. Aster was admittedly afraid of this beast. Corper understood this.

"I hope your training went better today?" Aster shifted in discomfort as he replied.

"No. I'm still just stuck." The human trailed off with a hint of defeat in his voice. Corper grunted as he commented.

"Seems that's going around then. I don't mean to hold you up, Venatus son." Aster forced a smile.

"Not at all. I'm just going to the water, try to clear my head. Besides, the captain starts complaining if I stink too badly, so I need to clean up." The human's fake smile turned into a genuine one as he finished with the jab at his mentor. The bear chuckled at the enthusiasm, glad to see the boy had retained some degree of optimism. The tiger just may need it at this rate. The bear straightened up a bit, peering down at the human in an authentic way. Aster stared back up at the towering beast, feeling a bit nervous as the bear started wording his request.

"He listens to you, he may let you in..." Aster gave the beast an inquisitive glance as he asked for clarification after the pause. Sir Corper just shook his head, dismissing the thought.

"Nothing. It... Isn't my place to ask anything of you. Enjoy your bath, the scenery is beautiful when everything is at peace." Aster watched the bulky beast walk up the trail without another word, heading back towards the campsite. The human pondered what the bear was going to say for a moment before turning and moving towards the river, ready to feel the soothing touch of cool water against his heated skin.

Oust was knee deep as he went through his steps all over again, his turmoil only growing more imposing all the while. No matter how hard he tried, he would never be fast enough anyway. He wasn't as strong as his father or his sister. He probably never would be... They were always going to be there, waiting for him to find some shred of happiness so they could tear it away all over again. He had been fooling himself to believe otherwise lately, but reliving his past had reminded him of what he was. He was a spoiled pelt. He was a cursed cub that could never be more than a looming burden on his line. Oust was destined to either be subjugated, or to be their victim. His father had broken any resistance the tiger ever tried to cling to long ago, and the tiger knew that he could not face him, that he could never actually stand up to him. Oust was ashamed of himself for being such a coward, but he didn't have the strength to even look his father in the eye. When he dared to even think of it, the worst of his memories came rushing back, making him feel all the more ready to curl into a ball and admit he was only a weak, helpless cub. Anything so his father wouldn't hurt him like that again.

Something seized at his throat, a tingle that made his breathing feel shorter. His chest felt tighter, and a malleable panic shot daggers into his heart as the memory finally forced itself to the surface. Before the tiger could stop himself, the image flashed before him. The shame, the humiliation, the searing pain and betrayal of trust between parent and offspring. More tangible than anything else, however, was the ever present fear, driven into him with the recollection of every jarring, and wicked thrust his father had made that unspeakable night.

The tiger clutched at his chest, finding it harder to breathe by the second. His fingertips felt numb, like they were vibrating even. His footing threatened to fail him as the water suddenly felt so heavy against his paws. Oust fell to his knees with eyes wide as more of that night came flowing back to him. It took nearly all the control he was holding on to in that moment, but he finally managed to pull his tunic over his chest, freeing himself from what felt like the heaviest of bindings as he gasped for air that would not come. The humid, weak breeze against his back fur offered little comfort as the beast simply locked up in the running river, desperately trying to fight whatever horrid thoughts were overtaking him. Trying to fight off the manifestation of suppressing so many emotions, memories, and fears for such a long time. Oust was losing his battle, and the panic was consuming him. Even there, all those miles away, his father was still beating him, and Oust was too afraid to stand up to it.

"Oust?" The tiger nearly jumped out of his hide, adding another layer of panic as he turned to see the human runt mere feet behind him. Had he been so caught up in his own thoughts he hadn't noticed him? The human had spoken the beast's name cautiously, and continued now that he got a good look at the crouching cat.

"Are you alright?" The tiger still couldn't find the ability to speak, his worry only growing to new heights as his vulnerability was exposed to the boy of all people. Oust could only stare into Aster's eyes, pleading to just leave him be. Aster took a single look into those scared, uncertain eyes and made his decision, taking another two steps forward. Oust glared at the human even more as a low growl escaped his throat, making the boy pause for just a moment. He knew Oust wanted to be alone... But Oust didn't look like he should be alone in that moment. Aster took a steadying breath in, and took another step forward, aiming to place his hand on the beast's exposed shoulder.

Oust turned, finding his mobility returning at the distraction, catching the boy's arm by the wrist with his staggering speed. The tiger squeezed the arm a little roughly to emphasize his point as his scowl grew, the tips of his claws digging into the skin there threateningly. The beast narrowed his crimson eyes as he bared his fangs at the runt, giving his final warning. Aster spoke in a tone laced with sympathy. Oust hated it, or at least, he wanted to.

"What do you need then?" Oust felt the panic loosen its grip the slightest bit as he stared into the boy's soft, understanding eyes. Still, there was just too much going on inside his head... He couldn't focus on what he needed, not like he was. The tiger's eyes took on a look that Aster likened to begging, pleading for an outlet. Aster steeled himself, understanding what the tiger wanted. It was time to return a favor.

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers
12