A King's Legacy Ch. 40

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

===

It was a strange moment for Alice, but who could really blame the goddess? Not only could she feel the new sword bearer preparing to make his entrance into the world, to feel that part of herself reviving, but she was simultaneously preparing herself to feel another piece of her heart die with the shield. Not being part of the final battle alongside Alocer was something she hadn't anticipated.

Alice knew what the shield bearer was capable of, and even if Alocer did win somehow, it meant she had no way of bracing for the pain that accompanied such a thing. King Alocer had pushed the busted door closed behind himself, pretty well sealing the pair off, and nobody there would risk seeming nosey enough to try and pry further. Alocer was quite clear he wanted privacy, but that order was eating the goddess alive. Luckily for her, her knight was there to come to her rescue.

"I understand," Jagón spoke gently to the smaller feline. "It's been a long and tiring journey just getting here, and now it is all taken out of our hands, right at the very end... I'm worried as well, but we will simply have to trust it all goes the way it needs to."

Alice turned to the general, and stared at him for a short pause. She spoke softly after a moment, surprising him as usual with her inquiry. "Do you think things usually happen how they are supposed to? Do you think there's an order to it all? Or is it all chaos? Do you believe in fate, Jagón? Are we ruled by destiny? Or only by our decisions?"

The panther took a moment to ponder the question, but answered sooner than she had expected. He always liked how Alice could challenge his mind to think critically at the strangest of times. "I think it all happens how it needs to. I think there's a balance between chaos and order. We are destined to find ourselves at certain crossroads, but we still get to choose which path to take. If that wasn't the case, I don't know that there would be much point to any of this. Life would be devalued."

"I agree." Alice responded. "But what happens if we make the wrong choice? What if we choose the wrong road? Do we ever get to correct any of it? Or is it merely another sentence to be served? How can you fix anything if you've only ever managed to make things worse?"

Jagón was officially concerned. He answered more cautiously this time. "You can only do your best with where you are. We all make the wrong decisions sometimes, but it doesn't mean you're destined to continue failing, and it doesn't mean you can't be better the next time... Alice, is everything alright?" He spoke that last bit sincerely.

Alice turned away from him briefly, deep in thought. She had things she needed to tell him, things about herself, but more importantly, about his son... about the cub that was on the way. Jagón should know the truth if he was to raise the next sword bearer properly, even if that meant exposing who she was, and what she had done. She took a deep breath, let out a heavy sigh, and turned back towards the panther with conflicted emotions, staring deeply into his eyes. She spoke so very softly.

"Jagón... there are things you should know, things I don't know how to tell yo-" Her sentence ended abruptly, her soft expression was replaced with one of abject horror, and her left hand trembled as it clutched desperately at the pain in her chest. She never even heard him ask if she needed help, she was far too busy grappling with the terrible reality of what had just happened.

Something had gone horribly, horribly wrong. The shield bearer and the new sword bearer had just been killed... simultaneously. Alice felt two pieces of herself die again. Her very life now depended solely on Solis Aureus surviving. She looked to Jagón once more, unable to even look him in the eye after such a terrible undertaking... Death was quite formidable when he needed to be.

===

It was the end, Alocer couldn't be more aware of such a painful truth. He had been bested entirely. The beast king had been pinned on his knees, a smaller shield at his chest and back securing him in place. Another firmly held against each shoulder prevented him from raising either arm, or even trying to squeeze out at the sides. The lion raised his head as much as he could, and scowled towards the human king slowly walking towards him. He spat what he could only assume were his final words.

"Kill me, it doesn't matter anymore... I've already done the world a favor." Alocer was determined to wound Calium as much as possible before he was executed, but the words never even fazed the human king. Calium stopped a mere arm's length from the lion, and squatted down to meet the beast king's gaze on equal level. Calium stared blankly with tired eyes for a moment before he answered.

"You're partly right. You've won your war, but everything still matters, even you, for now at least. Did you know that if I cut you down where you kneel, that your son would be murdered within the year, and your throne would be stolen by an even bigger monster?"

Alocer felt the hair along his back prickle up at the words. Perhaps it was because he was preparing to meet his end, but the lion could swear there was a shift in the air. There was something else there... There was something incomprehensible in that place.. There was something haunting about that human's blank stare, and his strange words in that moment. The lion's apprehension did little to hinder Calium at that point. The human king persisted.

"Did you know that by sparing you, I'm ensuring that your son survives? Would you believe that by simply being a part of his life, you give him all the guidance he needs to stray far away from following your path?" Calium stopped to chuckle for a moment, feeling he should clarify a little more.

"And I don't mean that you're some great father to him that raises him better, I mean that he is going to grow up hating you so much for the monstrous things you've done in his mother's name, that he will never want to have anything to do with you, or anything you ever stood for. As far as we can see right now, you being there as an example is the best, and most certain way to ensure he stays on the right path... We can only speculate though, and we can only see so far, but still, I really wanted you to know that part."

Alocer shuddered as he clenched his jaw. He kept staring into those golden eyes, and couldn't help but feel rattled. He whispered out his question before he ever stopped to wonder if he wanted the answer. "We?"

Calium smiled ever so slightly as he shut his tired eyes for a moment. This silent smile was the only response he had left for the beast. He opened them a moment later, reached a hand to the ground before him, and picked up the beast king's sword. Calium stood, his shoulders square, his head raised, and his gaze staring towards the throne of Alora... Staring towards his son well hidden away behind it. The words came to the human king respectfully. Despite everything between the two, the deity always tried to make the final process as easy as possible for everyone. He would extend the same courtesy to Calium.

'Only you remain. It is time.' Calium drew a deep breath, embraced his resolve, and accepted his end with dignity and determination.

He turned away from Alocer entirely, taking a few short paces towards his throne. The king paused just at the base of the steps, and finally broke his silence as he came to a stop. "I wish to make a deal of gods. I wish to deal with Death."

Lightning flashed outside as the worst of the storm came down upon the dying castle. The chill running up Alocer's spine became an icy grip, and the beast's instincts were telling him something very dark was at work in that place.

Even so, the beast was still forced to kneel by those shields, even as the deity spoke his answer clearly, ensuring both kings heard every word. 'Speak, my child, what is it that you ask of me?'

Calium answered clearly. "To stop the fated conqueror. I wish to strip the next sword bearer of both life, and power."

'What do you offer in return?' Death had to be certain the actual deal was carefully worded and executed. They both had to be careful with such an undertaking.

"Take my own life as my payment for his." Calium answered coldly, knowing exactly what those words meant, but speaking the terms in absolution. Alocer was trembling by this point, completely unaware of anything that was going on aside from such a haunting voice was coming from nowhere, a voice that was not yet finished speaking.

'It can be done, but you will fall into my domain before you may seize that power. Have you any other deals to make?'

Calium never faltered. "Give my son a life. Ensure he reaches adulthood. Ensure he is loved. Ensure he learns the truth about everything, and ensure he is free to make his own decision when he has learned... Ensure I will get to speak to him then, as myself, at least once."

Death responded somberly. 'What do you offer in return?'

"My soul, my heart, my core. I offer these three things as one. I offer my very essence and humanity in exchange for protecting and sustaining my son's own."

'It can be done, but not easily so. I must bind these parts of you to his own. They shall essentially be an armor for his heart and soul and he shall be the only thing that sustains and grounds your own heart in return. This ensures you may always be with him, that you will not fully lose yourself to the corruption. Have you any other deals to make?' Alocer couldn't accept what he was hearing. This was certain insanity... Calium was quick to reply to the deity, regardless of the baffled lion.

"Humans, as a species, have endured immeasurable tragedy, suffering, heartache, torture, despair, cruelty, loss, and massacre throughout the entirety of Beast King Alocer's crusade. I ask that they be relieved of such suffering, so they may truly rest and find peace in the afterworld." Calium waited patiently, knowing this was the part the deity didn't like.

Death's answer didn't reflect such worry this time, they were passed the point of such warnings now. 'I cannot strip such corruption from their souls, and the only tool the gods had to handle such a thing is beyond my reach. I only know of one other way to cleanse them of such hatred and corruption. They must be devoured by a stronger demon, one that would be willing to release them after, one that would only take their spirit's corruption, and add it to their own. This, I can arrange. What do you offer in return?'

"My service to you. In this mortal realm, to the Afterworld, and far beyond; to all the places your domain carries to. I offer you my next life, I offer to you my right to rest in the afterworld, and my right to rebirth, the very rights that come with life itself. I offer to become the soldier of Death, to eternally be at your disposal and command, so long as I am able to. I will swear to never rest until your will has been executed, and I have fulfilled every need you have for me." As Calium finished, Alocer finally found his voice again.

"THIS IS MADNESS!" The beast king was shouting, denying that any of this could even be possible. "You've lost your mind, and whatever trick you're playing with that damned voice-" Alocer went silent mid-sentence, his eyes bulging as the whites mostly overtook them. Everything was just so terrifyingly silent as Death finally appeared in his vessel before the tyrant. His golden gaze was gleaming with delight as he stared into the terrified eyes of the beast king. Death spoke softly, belittling the ignorant cub tenderly as his terrible voice echoed directly into the beast's mind, far louder than before.

"Shhhh. We're having an important conversation. The irrelevant shouldn't insert themselves here." Calium chuckled behind the deity, enjoying the final show of the god humbling the beast king. It was a shame that Calium would have to wait so long for the encore but at least the human had something to look forward to.

Death turned to Calium and resumed their conversation, leaving the lion in his state of fear and rejection. 'I accept all of the terms, if you do as well, speak your name, my child, speak your oath to me.'

"I, Calium Aureus, King of Adamare, agree to your terms, and accept the costs. Fulfill your promises to me."

Calium's words seem to carry across that throne room for a short moment that seemed to stretch on for ages. A final flash of lightning lit up the entire room in the brightest light just as the beast of death turned his head over his shoulder, looking back towards Alocer one final time. The deity smiled ever so gleefully towards the beast king before disappearing along with the short burst of light. Calium came back into his view as the god left the pair alone yet again.

"What have you done?" Alocer asked fearfully.

Calium was bearing his final, dazzling smile in that moment, the one he would die wearing. The human king answered warmly. "I did whatever I had to do."

Alocer snarled out his retort. "You've become an entirely different kind of monster, haven't you?"

Calium smiled a little more as he happily accepted that title. "Didn't you hear him? The stronger demons devour the weaker in the end, so I'll just become the biggest monster around if it keeps my family safe."

Alocer spat his words in desperation. "IF YOU THINK FOR EVEN A SECOND THAT I WOULD EVER SPARE A SINGLE ONE OF YOUR KIND AFTER ALL OF THIS PROOF TO YOUR CORRUPTION, THEN YOU'RE NOT MERELY MAD, YOU'RE STUPID AS WELL."

Calium kept smiling as he replied calmly. There was no point in arguing anymore, he was just waiting for his new master to finish binding him to Solis, and then it could all finally be over... Or in so many ways, it would all begin. "Hear me now, I am the last human to fall by your command. Should you think to violate this final decree of mine, should you still seek out more blood under this moon, just know, if the world somehow sustains itself, I'll kill your son in front of you, and I'll make sure he screams for you to save him while I do it slowly."

The shields around Alocer fell away at last, and the beast scrambled to stand once more. As Alocer weighed whether or not he should make a run for it, Calium made his final declaration, using his voice of mock grandeur for the last time in that life.

"King Alocer Tonitrus, let me be the first to congratulate you on your solo victory over the King of Adamare. To think you could overcome even a legendary bloodskill by yourself, truly, they will sing songs of this great victory for you..." Calium trailed off for a moment, let his smile truly overtake his entire face, and ended his statement as he pointed the tip of the beast king's sword towards his own heart. Alocer watched on in astonishment as Calium finished his statement.

"But you and I? We will always know the truth, won't we? I'll see you in a few years, be sure to pass my condolences along to General Venatus."

Death gave the signal, and the blade of King Alocer pierced the heart of Calium Aureus, driven by his own hand. Simultaneously, the god fulfilled his end of the bargain. Many miles away, in a larger estate, the life of the would-be conqueror was cut short just before it ever began. The next sword bearer had been murdered through blood magic, and the soul of the slain Venatus cub was the first Calium would have to overtake in the afterworld. Death had need of that sword, after all, and Calium was there to serve his new master.

===

Aster backed away immediately, his breathing was shallow and rapid, a nervous sweat was forming on his brow, and his eyes were full of panic. His words came out in a shrill, near hysterical tone. "What... What are you saying? I have this wrong, right? I misunderstood something, I think I missed something... I-"

"Solis..." Calium took a single step forward as he began to console his son, but Aster took two steps back in frantic response. Calium continued very cautiously. "It was the only way."

Aster snapped back in utter refusal. "NO, THERE HAD TO BE SOMETHING ELSE INSTEAD! Why? Why would you even consider that? How COULD you even do that? There had to be another way..."

Calium replied somberly at first, slowly growing in conviction as he confessed such a horrible truth. "There was no other way, it had to be this, it was the only way fate would accept it... Think about it for a moment, You had two goddesses rooting for your downfall, but neither would make a move if you were the last Piece keeping the sun goddess alive. You needed a place you could safely grow up, protected, with at least some people that loved you, and Jagón Venatus needed something to fill the hole that I carved through his heart. We had to stop what the true Aster Venatus would become, and we had to be sure you were somewhere the sun goddess would never dare to harm you. You had to be loved by that panther for this to ever work, because she loved him more than she hated you."

Calium paused for a brief moment of hesitation, but continued anyway, despite his son's obvious horrified expression. "The role of the fated conqueror had to be carried forward by someone, and as long as the remaining humans had no interaction or impact on the rest of the world for a long time, it could be sated by you in his place. Death told me I wouldn't like his solution, and he was right, I hated it, but it was better than ever letting you die."

Calium sighed heavily, finally solidifying the worst of the revelations for his son. "Death and I swapped the fate of the young sword with the fate of the young shield the moment I plunged that blade through my heart. You are destined to determine the fate of Alora in his place. You didn't just take his name, nor his family, you took his very role in life. You took his place... You are now the conqueror that will one day bring the entire continent to its knees. The time I could buy for you has ended now, and it is time you start living as you should. You now know all you need to make your decision, whichever one it may be, and you get to choose what you do going forward... As soon as you can face and overcome Death, that is."

Tears were falling from Aster's face long before his father ever finished his crushing confession. In that harrowing moment, Aster had a single paralyzing thought plant itself firmly before all others at the forefront of his mind. It destroyed the boy in ways he never could've imagined. Of all the terrible, and crippling truths he had been force fed over the last few months, this was the one capable of truly shatter the unbreakable shield indefinitely. This was the final, most fearful truth he could never face before, the ultimate guilt he had long since denied, and Aster felt it destroy that beacon of light deep within his very core...

It tore open the oldest wound he bore, the accusation he had always reassured himself couldn't actually be true. As he crumpled to the ground on knees far too weak to hold him up any longer, Aster managed to speak that unbearable truth with a singular, defeated whisper as the tears fell endlessly from eyes devoid of any true light anymore.

"All of this time... All of this time... Talan was right, he was right about everything." The wall of shadow separating Aster and his father from the rest of the Afterworld came crashing down as the boy finally learned all he needed to learn at long last. Stahl could finally reach his mate, or at least, he could try to reach what was left of his broken king.

===

So sorry about the delays! Switched jobs, haven't had two days off in a while, had a hectic schedule all around, was unbelievably tired, and to top it all off, had my wisdom teeth removed. Regardless to say, I've MISSED MY PROJECT!