A King's Legacy Ch. 42

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The details on the snake were striking, warm, and well executed... Almost as much as the detail on the tiger's burly arm was. Flose felt himself fluster again, and quickly closed the book shut, feeling unsettled by such an experience.

Oust frowned at the action. He was really looking forward to seeing the sketch, but he wouldn't pressure the human. From the looks of things, the beast assumed he may have messed up again. The tiger meagerly offered his best encouragement for him. "My mother used to paint... She once said the unexpected strokes can be the most striking in the end, so don't feel bad if it didn't go how you intended."

Flose looked at the beast and felt his own face burning in shame. He nodded quickly to the tiger, averted his gaze after, and immediately stood to leave.

Oust was afraid he had said something wrong. The beast cursed himself for not just keeping quiet after all... Even still, he had to ask. "Are you alright?"

Flose, who was still very shaken by the experience, defensively tried to blurt out the first excuse that came to him, his panic prompting him to speak far too quickly for his own good. "YES! I'm fine, suddenly feeling tiger- TIRED, I'm suddenly feeling tired is all..." Flose felt like his stammering heart was going to pop his head open if it pumped anymore blood to it in that moment. He frantically and abruptly tried to wrap up his interaction with the tiger. "I'm going to catch some sleep, we have quite a day ahead of us tomorrow..."

"Wait!" The tiger called out, making Flose curse his luck, knowing the beast must've realized something was strange. Oust brought the human back down to reality a little more with what he asked instead. "What do I do with her?"

Flose turned back to the beast, and realized he was referencing the serpent. Flose hesitated for a moment but answered truthfully. "She feels safe with you... You can let her rest on you for as long as you want, and gently nudge her on when you're ready." Flose turned to put some distance between the pair once more.

Oust called out a final time, giving the conflicted human one last jolt that night. "Not everything I was told to fear is bad, and not everything dangerous is going to try and harm me... It was another nice lesson to learn from a human. Goodnight, Flose."

Flose paused for a moment, his back to the beast still. He clasped his hands together, noting how they still trembled ever so slightly. His thoughts lingered back to the recent emotion the artist couldn't yet understand, and Flose partially turned back towards the tiger. He answered in a calmer tone this time, his eyes meeting the beast's own. There was finally something aside from simple fear shining beneath that gaze, something the reflection of that firelight masked just well enough to avoid the tiger's notice.

"Goodnight, Oust."

===

Rust was quite preoccupied with Corper, but the adolescent certainly had well enough reason to be. The bear was striking at speeds on the edge of what the fox could really handle, and Corper was steadily picking up the pace with every bout. The mentor was forcing the student to either surpass his limits or take another wracking punch in exchange. Rust was far too clever to not see which was the better option, but that didn't mean it was easy to pull off.

The adolescent's left ear twitched rapidly as he called out once more, barely avoiding the next blow. "Mark!"

Corper was enjoying himself, appreciating having a student he didn't have to pick apart to rebuild for a change. Rust had all the skill of the Sicario line, and all the fortitude and valor of the Aschefells. His heart was well-forged by a loving and happy upbringing, he had a strong talent for understanding combat and technique, and the fox had even built up a good deal of physical strength from assisting his father's smithing... All of this, and still so much room for growth at his age. The prayer magic tying it all together really didn't even seem fair to the bear. Rosten Aschefell was a kind of beast destined for greatness, a kind you only saw a small handful of in each generation.

Before the fox would ever reach that greatness though, he would serve as a training dummy to the bear. Rust barely cleared the next strike in time. "Mark!"

The fox jumped a good distance away this time, leaning forward on his knees and panting, attempting to catch his breath.

Corper called out tauntingly. "Finished already?"

Rust answered through his measured breathing, wiping away a good deal of sweat as he ran his arm over his brow. "Are... Are these sessions getting longer or something? It feels like a lot more than an hour at a time..."

Corper smiled in response, tossing his words towards the tuckered out little fox smugly. "We've just been fighting more with the time we get lately. I'm not instructing you right now so much as simply pushing you. In lighter terms..."

Rust finished the sentence for him. "You're beating my ass more, and it makes me tired faster... Got it."

Corper chuckled at the playful jab behind those words. He corrected the fox encouragingly. "I'm beating your ass more, and it's making you grow faster."

Rust groaned at the lesson, but before he could reply, a shout near the campfire drew the attention of both beasts.

Corper and Rust turned to watch Flose run off towards Oust. The fox was about to go investigate, but Corper spoke before the cub could. "Wait... let's see how this unfolds first."

Rust looked back to Corper, answering with a light chuckle. "Oh, I can tell you how it's going to unfold. Oust is going to try and be friendly, and he's going to unsettle Flose by doing exactly that. It's what always happens when he tries to talk to the human."

Corper stepped closer to Rust, walking over to stand beside his student as he replied. "I wouldn't be so certain. Flose is dealing with a lot of fear and uncertainty, but believe me when I say, he has good reason. However, even Flose can learn to challenge what he was told. Part of that remedy requires a beast, and once you see beyond the first glance of Oust, you'll see he may be the perfect one for the task after all. Flose needs to face his discomfort over appearances."

Rust felt his ears perk at part of that statement. The fox slyly pried with his question. "So... Does that go back to the conversation you had alone with Flose when he first awoke?"

Corper scoffed, noting how observant the adolescent was, yet again... He had the Aschefell's confidence as well... "You'll find out when we arrive tomorrow anyway. For now, simply prepare yourself. We may not be welcome when we first arrive."

Rust looked at his teacher, and back to the pair by the fire. He flashed a mischievous smile and snickered out his teasing. "I don't know... not sure if you're looking at the same thing I am right now, but I think a certain human may be feeling a little more welcoming after all. I think Flose may be conquering his fear of big cats... Too bad Oust is definitely too dense to realize the how and why."

Corper figured he would go ahead and put a stop to this before it began. He spoke firmly to his student. "No... You can make all the jabs you want toward Oust, and they are fine for the most part, but this is something that is raw for him. This is something that shouldn't be mocked, because he was ashamed of such emotions for a long time. The last thing we need is him closing himself off in defense again... If it's in reference to him trying to better himself, I want to hear no belittling remarks, no matter how trivial or lighthearted they may seem. You are both my students, so you will need to have some degree of respect for each other."

Rust looked to his mentor carefully, and really weighed the weight behind those words. The fox answered calmly. "Alright. I think I understand. To be honest, I've mostly been giving him a hard time since the debacle with my uncles, but I see what you are saying... Oust deserves to try to find happiness, and he deserves to not be mocked for it. I didn't really look at all this from his side of things, not fairly at least... He had it rough growing up, didn't he?"

Corper answered in a whisper. "Worse than anyone should..."

The fox and the bear watched the other pair a while longer from a distance before they resumed their sparring match. They settled in for the night a few hours later; one eager for what the morning may bring, the other wary of it, but neither expecting what awaited them.

Flose awoke last the following morning, partly due to him having great trouble sleeping with the concerning night before pecking apart his thoughts. He was awakened by a different pecking, a more literal one as Mercy impatiently tapped at her sleepy friend's nose. Flose cracked open his eyes with a groan and sat up half-awake. The boy's stomach rumbled in response to whatever his nose was picking up, prompting the human to glance around. He was met with a light chuckle.

"Good morning. I take it you're hungry then?" Oust was crouched near the fire, several fish poked into the earth on skewers as they slowly roasted near the flames. The tiger had that look on his face, the one Flose had assumed was a scowl before, the one he was finally starting to accept was a smile.

Flose was a bit surprised to say the least, but nodded lightly in response. He was silent otherwise, wondering how exactly the tiger knew.

"Glad to hear it!" Oust was beaming in excitement as he continued, answering Flose's question before the boy even needed to ask it. "I remembered you saying you couldn't connect with most fish... so I assumed that meant they were safely part of your diet? If- if not, then you don't have to-"

"No... that's correct." Flose cut in. He elaborated a little further on the subject, "I learned that if I just never eat meat at all, I start feeling sick. I think I'm missing something vital by cutting it out completely, something my body needs, but fish seems to satisfy that need, and it was one of our main food sources growing up, so you were right... I just didn't expect you to piece that together is all."

Flose felt a surge of panic and rushed to clarify. "OH! WAIT! I didn't mean that to sound insulting!"

Oust only kept on smiling, just happy he was finally making the human more comfortable all on his own. He answered in his lighter tone. "You're alright, I took no offense. I am just glad I didn't catch all of these for nothing. I woke up pretty early, so I went for a walk. When I stumbled across a smaller lake, I saw the fish, and figured we could all use a little strength for the path ahead. It isn't every day that one climbs a mountain, after all."

Flose looked back towards the fish and furrowed his brows a little. He spoke in an intrigued tone. "I don't actually recognize these kinds... I've only ever eaten them from the ocean, but even then, I didn't expect them to look so different... Are you sure they are fish? It looks like skin, so where are the scales?"

Oust looked down at his catch, and back to the human. His smile was bigger than ever.

"You've never had Whisker-fish? But, it's such a common food..." Oust paused, realizing that may sound more like criticism. He changed course quickly. "Sorry, it's just that it's a favorite food of mine. I know they may look strange, but they are quite rich in flavor. The bellies can be a little muddy tasting sometimes, but not if you eat the yellow skinned ones instead of the blue."

Flose looked at the strange looking fish, and back to the hopeful tiger. He forced a smile and nodded towards Oust as he answered. "Well then, I look forward to trying it... Thank you. I could use a strength boost about now."

"Is the food ready yet? I'm starved." Rust chimed in cheerfully as he and the bear approached the camp. Their morning training session recently ended, and to both the human and the tiger, Rust certainly looked as if he had worked up an appetite.

Oust answered the fox, and before too much longer, the four were enjoying quite a breakfast together. They set out shortly after sunrise, but they didn't make it very far before abruptly coming face to face with a final obstacle placed before them.

Richta Candori still had a mission, after all. She needed to have a word with Oust...

===

Tyfin felt strangely calm, decided even. He held little reservations about killing these mercenaries up to that point, but something about seeing the crocodile bound, beaten, and brought to his knees before the young beast king made the lion hesitant for just a moment.

The leader of the mercenaries, the boar, noticed such hesitation and smiled. He began pressing into his advantage. "Yeah, this overgrown lizard isn't much of a talker, but I hear you're a much better bargainer, your highness. Hope you don't cry as much as this croc did though..."

Fraxis weakly began muttering out, his snout bound by the ropes muffled his plea, but Tyfin heard all that he needed to. "My prince... I am sorry I was caught. I-"

"OH NO YOU DON'T!" The boar interrupted the croc hastily, drawing a shorter knife from a sheath on his belt. The mercenary continued spitefully, "YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE TO TALK BEFORE, SO YOU CAN JUST STICK TO BEING SILENT NOW!"

The boar grabbed the crocodile by the end of his longer snout with his left hand, and accented his statement with an act that only made Tyfin's decision all the easier in the end. He drove the short blade right through the top of the reptile's maw, the pointed blade coming out through the lower jaw, a trickle of darker blood following closely.

Fraxis tried to thrash at the pain, but the mercenary just held his head firmly, keeping a tight grip on the blade, driving it even deeper through the snout. Fraxis screamed, as much as he could anyway, and more tears quickly fell from the corners of his eyes.

The boar looked back to the prince once more, expecting to see that frightened and horrified little kitty once again. What met the boar's gaze instead was a look of utter disgust. Tyfin spoke quietly and soundly to the panther standing beside him. "You go for the ones near Captain Rixator, I'll be handling the group before us."

Talan looked to his prince in worry, quickly suggesting another option. "We should retreat... It is our best option."

"No..." Tyfin never hesitated for a moment in his reply. It was unmistakably an order.

Talan stared at his prince for a moment longer, noting how different Tyfin seemed than he had remembered. His prince had most certainly been through a lot. The panther turned back towards the opponents designated to him by the lion and spoke firmly in acceptance. "By your command..."

"Hey... You listenin'?" I'LL KILL THIS FUCKIN' CROC IF YOU DON'T-" The mercenary's warning was only further disregarded.

Tyfin spoke to his guard without ever breaking eye contact with the boar. The prince's words were a command of unyielding finality as he stared down the opponents before him. "Kill every one of these slimy bastards."

Talan wasted no time, lunging into a powerful sprint the instant the order was given. He had five opponents before him; the moose that had used the club on Rix, A smaller lynx wielding a sword, two similar mutts of some breed wielding spears and shields, and a yellow cockatiel who bore no visible weapon at all. As the panther closed the gap, the moose was the first to react.

The moose bull was the nearest to the approaching panther, the lynx quickly moving into position to back up the larger warrior. Just as Talan came into reach, the bull swung his club down.

Talan pulled off at the last moment, waiting for the club to strike the earth in front of him before his paw used it as leverage for his lunge. The panther stepped on the wooden weapon and leapt high above the moose. With a masterful motion, the Venatus son let loose his own spear, the panther's weapon was sent spiraling through the air.

Talan quickly switched targets, looking back to the startled moose beneath him as he fell back upon the beast. The feline reached forward quickly, grabbing the large rack of antlers. The panther drew himself closer to the larger beast with his hold, and before the bull could realize Talan's goal, it was already too late.

Two ivory fangs penetrated the thick fur on the large beast's shoulder. The moose heard a cry of agony behind him and recognized it as the Lynx. Blood began trickling out of the bull's nose just as the lynx fell behind him, slain by the spear near simultaneously.

As the moose fell to the earth, its life claimed by the panther's bloodskill, Talan quickly rose to face his last three enemies. Dealing with the first among their ranks so effortlessly had clearly forced them to take this opponent more seriously. The two mutts, the ones that looked alike to the panther, began advancing in a joint assault. Talan almost felt sorry for them, never enough to hesitate, however.

The panther ran into their attack, readying the small buckler he kept strapped over his forearm for the counter. He recognized their tactic, a diversion lead, with a fatal strike using the reach of the spear as a follow up. They were far outclassed.

Talan skirted the first spear away effortlessly with a side-strike of his shield arm. Just as the second mutt went to lunge at the opening, Talan went low, snatched his free hand around the shaft of the spear, and diverted its course just enough to make the second canine pierce the first instead.

As the first sputtered blood from their maw, courtesy of the unanticipated counter, the second screamed out in terrible realization of what had transpired. "BROTHER!"

Talan grimaced at such a gruesome end for the siblings, but the experienced warrior knew that such was the way of the battlefield. He bestowed mercy upon the surviving brother as honorably as he could.

The second mutt turned to gaze into the eyes of the panther that had latched onto his shoulder during his horrible realization. With tears of madness flowing from him for what he had done, the beast whispered his parting words to the panther as he graciously accepted such just punishment with the smallest smile. "Thank you..."

Talan held his gaze firmly, somberly guiding the mutt to his brother in the afterworld and accepting responsibility for what he had done. The panther gently guided the canine to the ground and turned to face the final opponent without further delay. The cockatiel was already chanting, his arms placed before him.

Talan knew how to deal with mages, but that hinged entirely on what elements they had control over. All he could do was snatch his spear from the dispatched lynx and close the gap, keeping a close eye on the way the avian positioned his arms at the last minute.

The cockatiel raised his feathered left hand up to his right shoulder as he finished the chant, and Talan immediately prepared to counter the projectiles. The bird thrust his arm forward, and as anticipated, spear after spear of icy pillars shot through the air towards the panther, attempting to skewer him one after another in rapid succession. The skilled knight altered his course, running with more of a curve towards the mage to sidestep the majority of the barrage. He mostly succeeded but was almost too slow to avoid a direct hit.

Talan's shield arm came up with expert precision, but the impact still unbalanced him enough to knock him to the ground momentarily. Recovering faster than most would, the knight immediately rolled, barely dodging another icy spike that had plunged itself directly where he had fallen. He continued the roll, avoiding another projectile before bracing with his arms and legs and lunging himself back into the sprint. Feline dexterity aside, Talan truly was his father's son in terms of skill.

Talan managed to stay ahead of the assault this time, slowly arching in closer, and closer to the mage growing more desperate by the minute. As the panther neared his target, he could see the true look of fear that the avian bore as he realized such a spell was nothing for Talan to counter. Many a sparring lesson with Cortist had prepared the eldest Venatus son well for his role.