A King's Legacy Ch. 45

Story Info
Aster struggles. Death's plans change unexpectedly.
6.3k words
4.88
600
1

Part 42 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapter 45

Darkest Knight

It was such a cold moment of recognition for Aster. The moment that haunting howl of sorrow broke through the laughter with his fathers, prominent waves of guilt and panic both crashed over the young king. The thought that accompanied those feelings was just as instant. 'Stahl....'

Aster turned immediately, his eyes darting around rapidly to locate his wounded mate. When they did settle on the noble wolf, the human felt even more panic surfacing from within. He watched in disbelief as his wolf slowly began to change. Aster's sprint towards his lover never slowed, but neither did the fog of corruption rapidly overtaking the beast.

The darker haze born from Stahl's own regrets and unresolved anger grew to encompass more of the wolf in time, wafting over his form as the beginning of the change began in its wake. It started at his shoulders. The raised hackles there seemed to grow as they became more prominent and pointed, the ashen fur rapidly hardening as it darkened and shifted into familiar and stony spikes of the blackest stone.

The king ran to his knight even still.

The corruption built soundly upon such broad shoulders, the two separate patches joining together over the wolf's spine. It began mounding over his upper back after, tracing its way along every hair raised on the wolf as it accented them with an obsidian coat. This forming coat traced its way down Stahl's back until it met the base of his tail. Corruption formed over the top of that fur as well. Three stripes of that dark stone wrapped around the beast's torso on either side, forming a jagged and disturbing likeness of a ribcage over the lighter fur as the darkness tightened its hold over the wolf.

The sound of Aster's boots crushing the flowers in his path never faltered.

The forming corruption suddenly shot down both of Stahl's arms, his hands and claws the next to undergo the change. His fingers splayed apart in agony as the ominous fog encircled them. Sharp spears of obsidian sprouted from the wolf's fingertips, encasing and building upon the beast's claws to make them far more pointed and deadly. This corruption surged back over Stahl's hands after, leaving a smaller spike over each knuckle as the haze consumed them. Forming quicker than ever, this armor overtook the beast up to each bicep almost instantly.

Aster was still trying to reach his wolf more than anything. He was so close....

Stahl's gaze stared blankly to the sky. The burning pain while his body shifted was as maddening as that incessant ringing shriek was. The beast let out the weakest and strained howl before he dropped his head. That whimper broke Aster's heart, for he recognized that desperate cry for what it truly was. Stahl was begging for mercy. Stahl had surrendered at last.

The white fur on Stahl's ear tips and eyebrows sharpened into smaller spikes, turning contrastingly dark in comparison. The jagged star on his forehead sprouted corruption after, replacing the Aschefell mark with a smaller horn. Higher above, sprouting between his altered ears, two more horns of obsidian began to emerge from the beast. These two were far larger and thicker, and they curved proudly as they grew. The three horns cast an illusion of a stony crown resting upon Stahl's head.

"STAHL!!!" Aster was shrilly calling out, his eyes blurring with tears of terror, his skin crawling with the sensation of helplessness, and his heart desperate to reach his wolf.

A tear fell from Stahl's silvery eyes just before a helm of corruption consumed the last of his skull. The mutilated muzzle of the noble beast twisted up into a wicked snarl after, the familiar fang peeking out was far less comforting when sharpened by such sin. Two red wisps manifested inside of empty sockets as the shadow that remained of Stahl Aschefell let loose a threatening roar of rebirth.

Just as Aster nearly reached his wolf, the demon turned on the young human, affixed its eyes on its prey, and raised a deadly hand high in preparation. The monster swung its sharp talons down on Aster without hesitation. A golden shield stopped the blow right before it connected. Aster found himself stopping in surprise as well. The human turned back to see the one responsible.

Jagón and Calium had taken off in pursuit of their son shortly after Aster started sprinting towards the demon. Calium had stopped a few paces back to raise the shield while Jagón made it to Aster. The panther snatched a hold of his son before dragging him back a short distance, despite his screams of protest.

"LET GO OF ME! STAHL NEEDS OUR HELP—" Aster's pleading was quickly silenced.

"No! My son... I don't think he is your wolf anymore...." Jagón answered reluctantly.

Aster stared up at his beast father in shock and denial. He turned back towards the demon and saw Calium was holding it with three shields then. He spoke in a whisper. "I don't understand.... Why did this happen?"

'Because a king's own weakness always reflects in their closest knights' A voice more unsettling than even Stahl's most recent snarl found its way to the young shield bearer at long last.

Aster pulled his stricken gaze from Jagón, and warily turned to see the entity he simply hadn't had the courage to see before, let alone face. Aster finally set his sights upon Death. The boy with the golden eyes beheld the deity at last, and the god's own golden gaze gleamed back at him.

Aster shuddered immediately, before any other reaction came, a chill wracking its way down his backbone was his first instinctual response. The strangest sense of familiarity quickly followed, but Aster couldn't quite place why he knew that skeletal, equine face, or from where. That clarity rested just beyond his reach, but the human's hands were trembling all the same. His breathing had halted entirely, there was a prickly sensation lingering on his neck, and his gold-flecked eyes stared in disbelief and acceptance all at once. Without a doubt, Aster knew what he was looking at, as impossible as it seemed. Some gut feelings were undeniable. Death smiled at his discernment.

"You're...." Aster's whisper trailed off.

'Death, in the flesh." The deity chuckled amusingly at his own humor as he finished that statement. 'Or, at least, as close to flesh as you'll ever find me.'

Aster's fears only spiked higher. Even still, he managed his question all the same. "Why are you here?"

The god answered the young human flatly. 'Oh, don't mind me, I'm only doing my duty; guiding the souls of the departed to their rest and eventual rebirth.... Well, the souls that aren't too tormented by their pathetic past lives to attain such enlightenment anyway.'

Aster's eyes darted back towards the freshly formed demon before quickly settling back on the god. His frantic tone did little to faze the deity. "So, this was you? CHANGE HIM BACK!" Aster's brows furrowed as he took a step towards Death threateningly.

Death cackled in a bemusing tone as he relished answering such boldness. 'Ooh, quite frightening. As fearful as I am of retribution from such a feisty little human, I regret to inform you that I cannot do anything to help this poor, neglected soul. This result was coming no matter what, I merely ushered him along his way; the same as I've been so softly guiding you down your own path all this time.'

"I NEVER NEEDED TO BE HERDED!" Aster defiantly answered the deity, denying his claim.

The god answered coldly. 'Come now, I always appreciated that you never intentionally told a lie, shield bearer. Let's not start such a nasty habit here....'

"My words are no lie, I have never needed nor wanted your interference." Aster felt more like he was trying to convince himself for some strange reason.

'And yet, you always listened to what I whispered. Such a dutiful servant, you must get that from your father.... Why, even I must admit that I felt so very touched by your tribute to me in your first true challenge, albeit a subconscious one on your part, I am certain. I haven't had a mortal worship me in a long time up to then, so you should at least know the god you molded your disguise after noticed your offering. I was guiding you in return even then, my most favored child.' Death smiled as he finished, taking Aster's stunned look as the first step of acceptance.

Clarity rang for the young king at last. This was a face he had dreamt of many nights, one that had been lurking in his subconscious for as long as Aster could remember. The human didn't initially realize it at the time, but staring at that equine skull wrapped in dark cloth and shadows left him little doubt in hindsight. His disguise he had so carefully crafted for the Selection bore this god's semblance in the most uncanny way. As much as he didn't want to, Aster was beginning to accept that there may be some truth to this deity's words after all.

"So I made a helm that looked like you. I don't see how that warrants your claims." The human cautiously looked back towards Stahl, still very much afraid for his wolf, but thankful Calium seemed to be keeping him pinned for a moment.

'You crafted that helm with me in mind because you always knew I would be guiding you. I assume such is a result of some lingering feeling from when my actions first saved you as an infant, but it was a welcomed moment of praise all the same. I have done quite a bit for you, after all....' The deity's darker smile seemed unfaltering to Aster.

The human king looked back to his birth father in sudden realization as he made the connection. He turned back to Death already speaking. "So, it's as my father said then? You two made a deal, and you've been interfering together since?"

'At least you can deduce that much on your own. Yes, your father made a useful soldier, and I used that soldier to intervene when little other option was available.' Death was speaking slowly for the young human.

"Tell me when you intervened. I deserve that much." Aster was still pressing for as much information as he could get.

'You've already received FAR more than you deserved, boy... but yes, I'll tell you, if nothing more than to see that look of rejection you're bound to brandish after.'

As Death finished his taunt, Calium spoke with a strained voice, barely maintaining the three shields he was using to hold the demon in place. "NO! He doesn't need to know!

'Ensure he learns the truth about everything.' The deity smugly quoted the fallen king. 'Those were your words in our deal, I am merely fulfilling our terms.'

Calium grunted loudly as Stahl thrashed within his hold, unable to really do much to stop the deity in such a position. It didn't stop him from cursing the god, however.

Death ignored those protesting curses and focused on the task at hand. 'The first time we interfered was during the ceremony. We thought it may have to be your trial, but you managed to skim by that one first. I'm certain you wouldn't easily forget our interruption....'

Aster sucked in a sharp breath as the final pieces fell together for the young king. Certain aspects of Calium's deal suddenly made a lot more sense to the human. Death cooed his answer soothingly, relishing the truth as always.

'That's riiiiiiight.... Your dear old dad is my own little hunting dog, and what a loyal mutt he is. Not that he has much say in the matter anymore. Even so, yes, we stepped in back then because you were about to die from an attack on the royal family. We stepped in at the desert because you were releasing the stored darkness with that stone. Again, we saved your life. And let us not forget the fall.... You and your wolf owed me plenty. I simply refused to lend him anymore mercy. He died chasing you to this place, his soul corrupted because of his failures in regard to you, make no mistake. It was following such a weak king that led him surely to such a fate.'

Aster was silent before he turned back to his birth father and coldly asked for clarification. "Is what he says true? Are you the demon that has been stalking me? DID YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO STAHL WHEN YOU LED US HERE?"

"Solis... I- You have to understa—" Calium was quickly cut off by his unsettled son.

"You said you would answer any questions I still had when you finished with your story, so answer me, FATHER! ANSWER ME BY THE CURSED FUCKING GODS!" Aster was getting uncontrollably irate as he shouted his demand.

"Yes, I am the sword demon, the same that has been guiding you since you've revealed yourself to the world of beasts. It was always me, my son." The human king held his head in shame. Aster ignored such self-pity and repeated his second question between clenched teeth.

"Did you know what would happen to MY MATE!" Aster was sure to emphasize the title his wolf bore.

Calium answered far more quickly this time. "No! He does not tell me everything. I swear to you, I did not know.... I wouldn't be straining to hold this beast of yours if that weren't the case now, would I? I never wanted to hurt you, my Solis... I was only fol...." Calium stopped himself before he ever finished such a statement. The fallen king shuddered in disgust.

Death cackled loudly, turning his attention to his soldier as he mocked him. 'Well, would you look at that! Congratulations, boy, you got what you wanted. Your fathers are seeing more eye to eye now. Calium is painfully aware of your beast father's position on things. He knows the guilt and the comfort that laces such an excuse, my soldier is merely far too proud to ever admit it.... He was only following my orders, for he had no other choice. Fate must surely be a poet, wouldn't you agree?'

Calium felt his own fortitude faltering at such a menacing strike. He felt his grip on his third shield rapidly slipping away. The fallen king was growing far too weak to hold it anymore. With crushing acceptance, Calium felt the third of his remaining shields fall beyond his reach forever. Calium hit his knees in exhaustion as more of the golden power slipped away from him. He knew what to expect, but he never anticipated it making him feel so defenseless.

Aster looked at his human father with mixed emotions once more. Despite everything, Calium was trying his best to manage the situation, but that didn't mean the younger shield bearer had to outright forgive him either. Aster turned his gaze reluctantly back to his wolf, knowing that the demon had been freed, and knowing that he would have to try and hold him next....

Stahl howled a haunted snarl into the air before he began charging at his lover. Aster raised a barricade before him and reared back a second shielded fist in anticipation. He was going to hold that heartbeat for as long as he could, he just wanted Stahl to get a little closer first. Aster was hoping he may still be able to reach his mate. It would normally be quite a fool's gamble, but the young king had a sudden ally join in his endeavor that could make just the difference he needed.

The purest song Aster had ever heard softly flowed over the garden without warning. It silenced the snarling beast as the demon suddenly faltered in its charge. Aster eagerly took his chance the moment he realized what was happening. The king was running to his knight once again, determined to reach him this time.

The demon rose up just as the young human was nearly upon it, slowed, but not as incapacitated as Aster had believed. It would have been a fatal mistake had Jagón not reached his son in time.

The panther wrapped his arms around Aster, leaned off, and jumped into a leap, rolling with his son as they landed in the flowers a few paces away. The creature's jagged claws sank into the earth where the young king had just stood. The thought tore a small piece of Aster's very soul away as he stared at the harrowing sight. 'He tried to kill me.... Stahl really just tried to kill me.'

The demon turned sharply and leapt towards both the father and son . Another sudden shield materialized above the pair. The creature collided harshly against this barricade, thrashing its claws in a vain attempt to reach the two behind it.

Aster could only stare in despair at his wolf in that state. He could do little else but gaze into such angry, red eyes; ones so very hungry for a taste of him with those gnashing teeth.

Jagón felt his son trembling in his arms as he stared up at his wolf in such a condition. The panther squeezed him briefly and spoke quietly. "I am so very sorry, my son...."

The demon faltered once more suddenly, as if it were growing tired. The wispy eyes of the monster turned back towards the smaller feline still singing so softly in that garden.

Lady Alice held that stare, eyeing down the creature firmly as her mother's song of rebirth carried steadily on. She was weak, and the song took a bit of time to break through the shell of such a fiend, but she knew she could resolve this with a little time. Her gaze fell off towards Jagón, and she nodded ever so slightly to the knight.

The panther understood her intentions, he knew the clarity that came with that melody, and he realized the opportunity Alice was giving them. With a faint smile, Jagón let the thought cross his mind unopposed. 'Leave it to that crazy cat....'

The general turned back to his son, and spoke enthusiastically, if not a bit rushed. "We have a chance.... We just need to buy her some time."

Aster stared up at his beast father with bated breath. The human stuttered to get the words out quickly enough. "Buy her some time? But—"

"My son, trust me. This is the right call. I can feel it." Jagón answered with a confident tone.

Aster glanced towards the cat, and back to the panther. "Can we trust her, though?"

Jagón chuckled briefly at that, his words reflected his usual seriousness though. "From what I've gathered, had Alice not found me here and sang for me before, I think I may have shared a similar fate. I was falling for a long time when I first arrived. She eased away those burdens with that song, she made them easier to accept for what they are.... We can trust her to do the same for your wolf."

Before Aster could get another word in, Calium interrupted the pair with a strained voice. "A little... help... maybe?"

Stahl was desperately trying to circumvent the shields and charge at Alice to stop that song, but Calium was steadily moving one after another in his path, barring the creature from getting more than a step or two in at one time by alternating between the two shields.

The demon snarled in frustration, squatting down in preparation of a great lunge. The creature cleared both of Calium's shields easily enough, but the monster screeched in aggravation when it collided with one of Aster's in the air. It was swiftly knocked to the ground below as the young human king got back on his feet at long last.

"I am sorry, my mate. You held me countless times when I needed it most. I will hold you here in return." Aster spoke softly to the angered demon. It turned back to the somber human just before his attack landed.

A golden pulse of light slammed into the beast, making the demon falter unsteadily before it was forced to a knee. Aster slammed his shielded fist forward once more, sending another inhibiting wave of warmth towards the creature via the heartbeat. At first, it seemed like it would be enough.

Surprise, disbelief, and lastly, horror filled the young king as before his very eyes, the demon slowly fought its way back on two feet. The golden waves stopped entirely as Aster wondered how this could be possible.

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers
12