A Legal Trap Ch. 15

Story Info
Poke the bear, get the horns? Highs and lows for Liz...
5k words
4.74
1.6k
1
Story does not have any tags

Part 15 of the 18 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 03/24/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author retains all rights to this original work of fiction.

March 19th 8:48 PM

"You found something on their computers?"

"Let me ask you a few questions first. Where did you go to school," Paul asked.

"Why's that relevant?"

He tilted his head and smiled, "I'm asking the questions... Play along."

I chuckled and pressed the 'Down' elevator button. "Tacoma Community College, why?"

"Not yet... You know who the Dean of the Law program there was?"

"James Norton, think that was the guy's name. Not like I made any academics list while attending, pretty much a solid 'B' grade student overall," I replied wondering where was this going?

The elevator opened and he waited for me to enter, pressing the 3rd garage level button. When the doors closed he asked, "When did you apply for your job here?"

I had to think that one out, "End of," I paused to think, "Beginning of October... Why?"

"When did you graduate?"

This was getting annoying, but I was stuck playing along, "I graduated late. I had to challenge a class I'd failed after a summer school retake of that class." I wasn't sure how much more embarrassment I was willing to lay out for him.

"Anyone encourage you to apply at Brandt, Wentz, and Larson?"

"No... Wait, I got a letter from my guidance counselor about Brandt, Wentz, and Larson."

He scrunched his brow, "Crap."

"Alright, what? Why the questions?"

He pulled a couple sheets of paper from his jacket and handed me one, holding one back. I looked at him, then the page. It contained emails between Janet and James Norton. I read what looked like she was making an innocent inquiry into how his latest class of paralegals was shaping up and that the firm was interested in the top students. He said it was a decent class, diverse, a couple stars he would guide her way, and I stopped reading to look at Paul.

"You don't think..."

He shrugged, "If you'd said Norton encouraged you to apply, then I would wonder if maybe his comment about 'one Transgender student' had more weight to what else I found."

"What does that mean?"

He had a concerned look on his face, "Janet had you checked out. Did you notice the dates on those exchanges with Norton?"

I looked at them, June of last year. That would have been about the time I should have graduated. "So?"

He handed me the piece of paper he'd held back. It was another email chain, an original message and its response. They were in reverse order, like the thousands of emails I'd scanned from Janet and Martin. The reply was at the top of the page and from a name I didn't recognize. It only said, 'She was deep into the scene. I'll call with details.' The original email message from Janet below it only said, 'Please look into this person - Elizabeth Gallagher. She's a Transgender woman who's applied for a position. I'm curious as to her story. Do this quietly.' The date of the original email, June 7th of last year, four months before I had even heard that Brandt, Wentz, and Larson existed.

March 19th 8:50 PM

"You okay?"

I had to read the email twice and when done I shuddered. What the fuck?! Was my past the impotence to lure Amber? Did Janet really think every Trans girl turned to feeding the fetish machine out there? Was bringing me onboard all part of some sick plan to screw with Jacob by distracting him and using that distraction to going after the firm while his attention was on family? I shook my head absently. These emails were before David Lafleur began grooming Amber. Jesus!

"Something is not right with that woman Liz...," Paul said softly, placing a hand on my shoulder to guide me out of the elevator when I hadn't move after the doors opened to the garage.

I followed him to his car through the nearly empty garage, opening the door, sitting, and buckling the seat belt. Why? That sick fucking bitch!

When Paul was settled and the car was started I asked, "Why would she do that?"

"I wish I knew... But, there aren't enough breadcrumbs to follow, though the one's we have certainly can't be ignored. I wanted to talk about this with you before suggesting we compile what we suspect and ask Jacob again for a legal reading. There wasn't anything of significance on either of their computers and the only reason I went searching her emails was she'd looked up Tacoma Community College a few years ago and I scanned her emails looking for the connection, finding Norton. That one email - had been deleted... There's always a digital trail."

Yeah, I knew that all too well. "I wonder how she figured out Amber had an online presence? Did she somehow encourage it? Like that bullying stuff Amber put up with and Stephanie fought... I don't get it."

There were too many unknowns. Coincidence or not, these emails said to me Janet may have had a hand in Lafleur's entry into Ambers orbit. Nothing concrete, but there was something there, I could feel it. Was she involved with his murder somehow? Fuck! God damn bitch!

We'd exited the building, heading towards I5 in light traffic, and I couldn't get over this feeling of numb, hurt, and disgust. I listened to Paul talking theory and additional search options he could try. When we were on the freeway heading south I asked, "Can we get something to eat?"

He took my hand, "Of course... You care what we eat?"

I shook my head 'No'.

March 20th 10:15 AM

We'd eaten burgers at a Red Robin just down the street from my apartment in Kent. I'd had two drinks, the first hit me hard since I'd skipped lunch, and the second went down quickly when our food arrived. I could sense Paul was concerned about me all the way up to dropping me off at my apartment after we ate.

I assured him I would be fine after a good night's sleep. I told him I just wanted to go to bed and apologized a couple times for being such bad company. I wanted him to come in, but my heart just wasn't up for company. He got it, hugged me gently and kissed me quickly before I exited his car. It was just the right amount of support and affirmation I needed last night.

Now I was in the conference room where my journey to find Amber began and Gina Barnes was asking Cal some questions about an RCW he'd pulled in regards to an ethics case she'd wanted precedence for.

"I can recheck that," he said typing something into the laptop before him - the results showing on the screen we were all looking at, reading it ourselves, and considering the argument Gina was making.

Gina asked, "Elizabeth, Johnson vs. State of Washington, point seven. What are your thoughts?"

"I think there might be some leeway. Cal's got the right RCW reference here. In that particular case I think Johnson's LLC was determined to not be the shield the owner could hide behind for the half-million dollar donation to the Republican gubernatorial candidate..."

"I think it's thin, but let's add it to the brief material. We can pull it if there isn't enough for it to stand on its own." she said.

"If you reference the Bentley and Cambers case it should stand as viable...," I replied quietly. I knew she'd put a lot of focus on that case and the connection to the Johnson case would strengthen the argument she was trying to make. How I was regurgitating these legal case recollections right now, given my mind was more consumed with Janet's possible involvement with Amber's abduction and how my past transgressions might have given her that idea, I couldn't explain.

"You mean Bentley and Chambers, correct?"

"Yes, Mrs. Barnes... Apologies... Chambers, not Cambers."

Guess I wasn't all here in the moment. I saw Michelle roll her eyes; I shook my head imperceptibly to say 'Leave it alone'. She immediately looked down at her notes and began writing something. I was fine being the target for Gina Barnes wrath. We just needed to get through this as best we could, figure out where she thought we were deficient with our research, and hope we'd delivered enough. This was just the beginning of a long, long day.

Gina finished typing something and looked up, "Okay, I'd like to discuss Morgan Trucking vs. State of Washington..."

March 20th 1:33 PM

"Lunch... Let's meet back here in an hour. Bring a receipt and I'll expense it," Gina said still looking at one of the financial records Michelle had just went over with us on the screen in the conference room.

Cal, maybe more Michelle, looked like they needed a break. Truth was I needed to pee going on a half hour at least. When we stood to leave, Gina asked me stay for a moment. The other two quickly made their escape. Augh... Gotta pee!

She waited for Cal and Michelle to leave before speaking. "You seem distracted."

Fuck! Do I tell her what's going on or do I throw out an excuse?

"I'm just worried we haven't, I mean I just want my team to deliver everything you need." Excuse it was...

She looked thoughtful, maybe even a tiny smile graced her lips, before saying, "Your team, they've delivered if that's helps. I'm impressed - Cal is very thorough and Michelle is your details asset. I like what she suggested about a possible quid pro quo relationship being built with Council Member Perry's wife and Martin's ex-wife. Very insightful work, she's your ace in the hole."

"Thank you Mrs. Barnes. I appreciate hearing that..." I was actually both elated and relieved. When I had a chance I would be passing those comments on to Cal and Michelle. I think they were as worried about this assignment as I was, though officially my ass on the line. She hadn't complimented me or my contributions, but I would take that we'd met her expectations thus far and she hadn't held me back to chew me out - well, other than to say I look distracted.

"You know, Janet and I didn't generally see eye to eye," she began, "A lot of 'style' differences and truth is I'm quite excited about the opportunity to sling a little mud at her with this case we're building. Martin too, he's a pompous ass that should have been brought up on any number of ethics charges due to countless improprieties over the years."

I tried to hold back my shock at hearing what she'd just said but couldn't hide my shock.

"Go, get some lunch Elizabeth. Oh, and you're contributions have been exactly what I was hoping to get. Your relationship building focus is how I want to present Janet and Martin being in bed with the City Council Members via the financial contributions of their spouses. That Martin left such a trail of compromising emails - good God! What an idiot..."

"Thank you Mrs. Barnes... He tried to hide most of those by deleting them - but there's always a digital trail," I said smiling. Who just mentioned that to me? Hell, I should be the one to talk about compromising digital trails. I doubt Gina would think Martin and my trails were even remotely close in comparison - at least on the compromising point.

She nodded in reply and I figured I was dismissed when she began typing. PEE! I need to PEE!!

March 20th 5:57 PM

"Hey...," I collapsed into the front seat of Paul's car. It was warm and the heated seat was on. I leaned over to give him a quick kiss before he pulled away from the curb and I was buckling up. I had texted him during lunch and he'd insisted on picking me up. I didn't argue much - this is where I wanted to be, with him.

"How'd it go?"

"Surprisingly well. I was certain Gina was going to rip everything we did apart, but it went well. I mean, we've got stuff to do yet, but I'm set for my meeting with her Monday morning. I'll be curious to see where the next phase of this assignment leads...," I replied placing a hand on his thigh and giving it a little squeeze.

"So... You're saying I was right then?"

"Ha ha... No, I'm saying without Cal and Michelle's help I'd have probably quit a couple days ago. Gina is a hard woman to work for; I don't think you get that..."

"But you did the job asked of you, leading a couple other paralegals, and it worked out."

"I guess... This time at least," I looked out window wondering where we were going. "Are we going to your place?"

He smiled, "I made you dinner. Hope you like lasagna..."

"You cooked?" I probably asked that with more skepticism than I should have.

"I've been known to dabble..."

March 20th 7:06 PM

When we got to Paul's it was obvious something was in the oven baking and it smelled amazing. He'd set the table, there were linen napkins, and nice looking dinnerware. He lit a couple candles, put some music on, and I was seated with a gentle hand and a long kiss that spoke volumes. I felt like he missed me, I hoped he knew I felt the same. Work was certainly eating up a lot of each of our existence of late.

When dinner was served I couldn't help but eat until I couldn't bear to lift my fork. I must have complimented him three, four times on how really good it tasted. I was seriously impressed - this man had skills in the kitchen, and other areas I was hoping we'd enjoy at some point before the night was over. He confessed that the recipe was his Nana's and couldn't take the credit for it, but was happy I enjoyed it.

We agreed to not talk 'shop' while eating; instead we spent a lot of time talking about movies we loved, music, concerts we'd seen over the years. He'd seen both Pearl Jam and Nirvana in concert; I hadn't seen any big names like that. Lisa had said the age difference would keep us from appreciating these kinds of things, I think the opposite was true. The truth was we had more in common than either of us probably realized.

I tried to help with the dishes, but Paul was insistent that I just sit and that there really wasn't much to do anyways. He wrapped the remaining lasagna up - saying it would be better tomorrow, rinsed our plates and salad bowls - putting them in the dishwasher, and was escorting me to the living room in nearly no time at all. He talked a lot while cleaning up, almost like nervous chatter.

"You okay," I asked once we were seated on his couch.

"Yeah, of course. Dinner was a success, you're here... I," he looked to be measuring his next thought, "I missed you."

I squeezed his hands and kissed him. Slowly at first, but there was a building of want he couldn't mistake that said I was happy, contented, and might have missed him also. When I pulled away, I looked him in the eyes wondering if he could read my mind right now. What am I thinking Mr. Kline? Come on... Do that mind reading stuff you do.

"Did you want to hang out for a while?"

Nope, not what I was thinking, but it does involve hanging out some more. Try again, "I'd like that..."

"Cool... So, a... How are you feeling about those emails from Janet?"

Augh... I actually hadn't been thinking about them since we agreed to not talk shop over dinner. And, there were other thoughts I'd prefer to be putting into motion rather than talking about Janet and my past. You can't tell what I'd rather be doing right now, really?

"I'm still a little butt hurt over them. I don't understand why she'd have approved my hiring if there wasn't something she was hoping to get from knowing about my past or some client of the firm figured it out... If that came out somehow there would certainly be some uncomfortable around the office for the partners and me of course."

"Those are good points."

He looked like there was more he was going to say, so I asked, "And?" As soon as I asked that he looked uncomfortable.

"I spoke with Jacob today..."

"I thought we were going to do that after compiling our thoughts," I asked, sitting back, searching his face. Guess that may be why you seemed nervous and chatty while doing the dishes - you knew you were going to have to lay this on me.

"He called and we were talking about some stuff and I slipped, mentioned the recruiting email. Had to explain what we'd found..." His voice trailed off as I'm sure he saw me bristle.

Fuck! "And how much does Jacob really know about my past Paul?" I could feel my stomach roil a bit, the fringes of anxiousness beginning to constrict my chest.

He had a pained look as he began to speak, "He knows it all... I'm so sorry."

"Why?" I barked, rubbing my palms over the jeans material at my knees, while trying to control my emotions, my panic.

"Look, he doesn't car..."

I didn't let him finish, "I care! I fucking care! I work for the man! You've seen the shit I've posted! Do you think I want Jacob or anyone for that matter looking that shit up and finding me?! 'Daddy fucks femboy', 'Step brother fucks Trans sister raw' - you know how easy it would be to find my past online? I'm in the first couple pages of search results for 'Transgender' on most porn sites! You think I want that?!" I was fuming.

"No one...," he tried to say, but I cut him off again.

"Right! No one is going to look up Elizabeth Gallagher and find me linked to porn I posted two years ago when I was gutter trash Paul! But if they look up 'Transgender' or 'Sissy' or any fucking derogatory gender bent term - it is likely they're going to see my face in a video or picture eventually. I fucked up Paul, I can't fix that! There's no do over, there's only damage control and it's tiring...," I was running out steam and could feel the tears welling in my eyes, "I'm tired of all that shit... I can't do..."

I felt his arms around me as the tears began to flow and the sobbing racked my body hard. My heart was...

March 20th 7:48 PM

There were hugs, hand holding, gently strokes of Paul's hand against my cheeks to wipe away my tears, and all manner of assurances that all would be alright, but the aching I felt wouldn't subside. He tried to talk me off the ledge, but I'd already jumped and truthfully I was fine with the freefall because there was no fixing my past and I really was tired of trying to manage the shame. I wouldn't ever repeat that life, but it was a part of me I would have to deal with when and if it ever came up.

I'd excused myself to use the bathroom and ended up having to wash my face to get rid of my tear ruined makeup. I tried to reapply some blush, fix my face, and eventually gave up. I didn't have the energy or want right now. The last couple weeks had been trying and I wasn't sure...

A tap on the bathroom door startled me. It was followed by a Paul asking if I was alright.

It took a second to reply, "Yeah... Think I'm going to call an Uber and go..."

There was a long pause before he replied, "I can get you home Liz..."

"I think I... I just need some down time Paul. Probably best this way..."

March 20th 9:13 PM

It took twenty minutes to get my Uber and in that time we did very little talking. One of the last things he'd said to me before I left was that he didn't want to lose me. That brought on a brief round of tears, several more hugs, and assurances that I had to work some things out, but I wasn't giving up on us. It was a defining moment for me in that we'd both just acknowledge there was an 'us', something we both found important, valuable, and wanted to pursue further.

Now, alone in my tiny, tomb quiet, apartment I was struggling with the fact Jacob knew about my past. Also that Janet may have used me to. I pulled my phone out, found the number I wanted and dialed it. It was picked up on the third ring...

"This is an unexpected surprise. How are you Elizabeth," the voice asked.

"I wasn't sure you'd answer."

"Why's that?"

"We've uncovered a few things that don't paint you in the best of lights," I replied nervously, but resolved to see what I could learn.

"I'm not sure I follow..."

"I think you do. I just want to know why, why involve Amber? Why hire me?"

"You aren't making any sense. I don't know what you're talking about, but I certainly hope Amber is alright."

"She is, but she's going to carry these scars for the rest of her life. Was it worth it," I asked defiant, full on bitch bleeding out in my tone.

"Elizabeth, I'm still not sure I follow..."

12