A Love that Lasts Forever Ch. 04

Story Info
Quinton questions Caleb's story.
8.1k words
4.75
3k
3

Part 4 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 07/28/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Chancem77
Chancem77
206 Followers

"You can't keep me locked up in here!" Caleb beat his fist against the door in frustration. "I want to see my pup."

The beta who had led him to the room-no, cell-walked away without a backwards glance. Caleb let his head rest on the cold metal of the door. He needed to be with his pup. It wasn't a matter of wanting to be with him, he needed to.

No one would even answer his basic questions. Was the pup okay? Who was taking care of him? Was he eating good? Caleb hadn't nursed in so long that his chest was aching from the building pressure and worse yet, he was starting to leak. The least they could do was allow him to pump. At least then he could be sure his pup was getting his milk. He cringed at the thought of feeding him formula. He didn't even know if the pup would accept human formula. That thought had Caleb worried more than anything.

He couldn't understand how these people could be so cruel. It was unreal. If he didn't get to see his pup soon he was going to go mad.

Caleb pushed himself away from the door and walked to the small cot in the corner of the room. His previous room was more accommodating. At least it had a more comfortable bed. It hadn't taken him long to realize that he was sitting in a holding cell. It had the same drab, grey, color scheme as the interrogation room. The only window was a frosted glass window in the door, about the size of a 13 inch computer screen.

He sighed as he seated himself on the thin mattress. This was not how he'd imagined his time in Black River beginning. By now he and Rhys should have been moved into a small cottage with their child. Rhys family would have been coming round to check on them and, of course, to see the new addition to the family.

Caleb laid back, folding his arms behind his head. He didn't even know if Rhys had family other than his brother, Quinton. He'd never spoke of anyone else. It occurred to him suddenly, and a bit sadly, that he really didn't know much about Rhys past. He always thought he'd have more time to get to know his mate, once they weren't running from Silver Moon anymore.

He'd imagined a nice, quiet, peaceful life with Rhys and many more children in the future. Caleb had always wanted a big family. He just had never wanted to raise them in Silver Moon. The way that Rhys had spoken of Black River though, it seemed the perfect place to raise a family. Now though, he was starting to wonder if he'd even ever see his pup again.

He closed his eyes and tried to bring up a mental picture of his pup. His time with him had been so brief. He should have paid more attention to his tiny features and those huge, blue, eyes that were so much like his fathers. The pup was definitely Rhys son. Anyone who denied that was a fool. He had Rhys dark hair and fair skin. Even his features reminded Caleb of Rhys.

"Hold on to that memory." Caleb whispered to himself. "It may be all you have left."

***

Quinton stood outside the door to holding cell number four and peered through the frosted glass to the omega inside. He could just barely make out the boys small frame curled up on the cot. He reached for the door handle, but then pulled his hand back. He was still so angry at the kid that he wasn't sure he could trust himself to enter the room alone. Part of him wanted to just sit and talk to the omega but another part of him wanted to choke the life out of him.

Quinton recalled the look on Malcolm's face when he told him the omega had been moved from the clinic to one of the holding cells on the lower level.

"It isn't right." Malcolm had said, his mouth curved into an angry sneer. "The boy isn't a criminal. For Gods sake Quin, he came to us for help."

"Until I can figure out what his secret is, I can't trust him to be around other pack members. It's for their safety."

That seemed a good enough excuse to get Malcolm off his back. The gamma just threw his arms up and walked away, knowing that it pointless to argue with Quinton when he was like this. He had his mind made up and there was no way he would back down now.

It wasn't a complete fabrication. He was worried about the rest of the pack though, he some how knew the omega wasn't really a danger to anyone. At least not physically. But he also didn't trust the omega not to run off, probably back to his pack, though that seemed unlikely as well. At least, if Hollister was correct about Caleb being scared of his Alpha, the chances of him running were slim to none. Where else would he go?

Mostly though, Quinton just wanted the boy to suffer. He wanted him to know the kind of pain that Quinton was feeling right now. The pain of loss. Rhys was his brother, but Quinton had practically raised him after their parents had died. Losing him was worse than just losing a sibling, it was like losing his son. Separating the omega from his pup was the only way that Quinton could think of to revisit that pain onto Caleb.

Unfortunately, seeing the omega suffer didn't have the desired effect. Instead of feeling better, Quinton felt worse. The pain never subsided and the anger he felt continued to fester within him, but was Caleb really to blame? Was it possible that he was just a victim in all this? Quinton couldn't know the answer to that until he'd figured out Caleb's role in all this and that wouldn't happen until Quinton could get the kid to start telling him the truth.

He could do this. He just had to go in there and talk to him. Talk to him without jumping to conclusions or accusing him of anything. He needed the kid to trust him but how to do that, he had no clue.

With a heavy sigh, Quinton steeled his nerves, then pushed the door open.

Caleb looked up with a start when the door opened. A flood of light from the hall spilled into the darkened room, illuminating the hulking figure that stood in the doorway. At first, Caleb was frightened. He had no idea who had just entered his cell or what their purpose was but then, as his eyes adjusted, he realized that he was staring at Quinton Hallorann, Black River's Alpha. Fear melted away only to be replaced by anger.

Caleb sat up, his fists clenched at his side as he narrowed his eyes. "You." He hissed under his breath. His eyes clouded with tears as he began to shake. "How can you do this to me? Have you no heart at all?"

Quinton let out a breath as he switched on the light then moved further into the room. "And what exactly did I do to you? Don't you like your new accommodations?" He smiled, smugly, then pulled a chair up to the cot and sat down. "I'm sure even this cell is nicer than anything you had at Silver Moon."

"I don't give a shit about the room." Caleb yelled. "Lock me in a dungeon for all I care, just don't keep me from my pup!"

"Your pup is fine." Quinton had to suppress the urge to roll his eyes. Omega's really were too emotional. "Anyway, I didn't come here to get into a screaming match with you. I came here to get some answers."

Caleb threw his arms up in desperation. "You're a broken record, you know that? Answers to what? I've already told you everything I know. You keep thinking I'm involved in some huge conspiracy but I'm not. What I told you was the truth. Rhys and I..."

"Yeah, yeah. You're a broken record too. You and Rhys came here for help. You ran away from your pack and Rhys saved you from the big bad wolf." He gave a soft chuckle at that but clearly, from the look in Caleb's eyes, the omega didn't find the comment as amusing as Quinton obviously did.

"Let's just assume for the moment that I do believe you. My brother saved you. Fine. But that doesn't answer the question why? Why were you running? Why does Seth Bowden want you so badly. I know you were to be mated to his brother so I assume that's why you left in the first place, but why would he go to all the trouble to hire a bounty hunter to bring you back? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure you're not the only omega in Silver Moon. So, what makes you so damn special?"

Caleb sat back, suddenly quiet. Quinton noticed the boys shoulders tense followed by a look of alarm that settled across his features.

So, Quinton thought. Whatever his secret is, it's not good.

"Why don't you just tell me what's going on." Quinton pushed.

"Why should I?"

"You wanted my help didn't you? Rhys trusted me enough to bring you here. Can't you trust me enough to tell me the truth?"

"Like you've given me any reason to trust you." Caleb scoffed. He turned his head away from Quinton and focused on the wall. Not that there was anything of any real interest in that wall, he just didn't want to look Quinton in the eye. As an omega, he'd been taught to be obedient and never to lie to an alpha. He found it harder to keep the truth from the man when he was making eye contact.

Caleb half expected the Alpha to yell at him, grab him by his hair, turn him around to face him again, and then give him a sharp slap for his insolence but to his surprise, the Alpha only sighed then stood up from his chair and walked back towards the door.

He stood there, in silent contemplation, making Caleb more nervous. A beating he could understand and deal with but this silence...it seemed suspicious and a little dangerous. Just what was this man going to do to him? For a brief moment he actually considered confessing everything to him but then he thought of his pup. Caleb could take what ever punishment Quinton decided to give him but for his pups sake, he had to remain silent. Without him or Rhys there to protect him, he couldn't give Quinton any reason to take his anger out on their pup.

The silence between them stretched out until it became unnerving. Finally, Quinton turned back to Caleb and said, in a gentle command, "Come with me."

Caleb blinked. "What?" He asked, his voice unsteady.

"Come with me." Quinton said again. This time a bit more forcefully. "We're going to take a walk."

"Where?"

Quinton raised an eyebrow and gave Caleb a forceful, Alpha's, stare that let Caleb know he was to follow and not ask any more questions. Caleb gave a defiant huff then hefted himself off the cot. The corner of Quinton's mouth turned into a half smirk as he watched the little omega move cautiously towards him.

The kid had gumption. Normally his show of contempt would have annoyed Quinton but there was something in the way he sauntered towards him that was...amusing. It's like he was saying, "I'm doing what you say because I want to, not because you told me to." Quinton shrugged. At least he kept things interesting.

***

Caleb was led down the hall to an elevator. Quinton pressed the 'up' button and the two waited in silence for the doors to open. Caleb followed Quinton inside, still wondering where he was being led to. Maybe the Alpha had had enough of his vague answers and attitude. Maybe he was going to turn him over to Silver Moon after all. Caleb couldn't allow that. He wouldn't. If that were the Alpha's plan, he'd run again. He'd take his pup and run. First though, he had to figure out where his pup was, and then how to get him away from Black River.

As the elevator doors closed and the small metal box lifted them through the various floors of the building, Caleb's anxiety grew to the point where he was nearly hyperventilating. Quinton looked over at the small shifter, sensing his unease. It wasn't that difficult to see that the young wolf was getting nervous. The tension in the tiny box was so thick Quinton could have slashed through it with his claws.

"Relax." He told the omega in a stern but calming voice. "I'm not leading you to your execution."

Caleb looked up and frowned. The Alpha looked almost...amused. Was this all some kind of big joke to him? That thought made Caleb angry. This was his life he was playing around with, and the life of his pup. Quinton's lighthearted attitude was completely inappropriate and unappreciated. Did he get some kind of sick pleasure from tormenting Caleb? Could an alpha actually be that sadistic? Judging solely on the alpha's from Silver Moon, the answer to that question was a resounding yes!

The elevator rose, passing floor after floor, making Caleb wonder just how big was the building he was currently being held in. Obviously they had been on the ground floor, probably underground actually. That would make sense. Prisoners would be held in the most secure area of the pack and probably in a section of the building that was off limits to regular pack members.

Prisoner. That word made Caleb shiver. That's what he was though, a prisoner. He'd come to Black River expecting to be welcomed in as Rhys mate and newest member of the pack but instead he was held captive and treated like a common criminal. Rhys would never have allowed something like this to happen. Not to Caleb and certainly not to their pup. But, Rhys wasn't here anymore and Caleb had to come to terms with that, somehow.

He placed his hand over his heart and sucked in a deep breath, fighting back his tears. He'd cried in front of this Alpha enough already. Now was the time to start showing his strength, not his weaknesses. He made a promise to himself then and there. From this point on he was going to be strong, no matter what happened. The impression he gave going forward could either save him, or destroy him, though he hoped it wasn't the latter.

The elevator finally stopped and the door slid open with a high pitched ding. Caleb expected to see more dingy, grey, and imposing walls but was instead greeted by what looked to be a small lobby.

Stepping out onto what appeared to be the main floor, Caleb was led through a room no bigger than a waiting room in a small doctors office. There was a desk directly across from the main door where a petite, female, omega sat reading a paperback novel that she immediately stashed into one of the desk drawers when she saw Quinton walking towards her.

The Alpha chuckled a bit as he neared the desk. "Hows Reginald fairing these days?" He asked, giving her a quick wink.

The girl blushed. "Horrible." She smiled, a bit sheepishly. "The King wants to have him executed for sleeping with his daughter."

"Well, I'm sure true love will save them in the end." Quinton laughed. "Any messages for me?"

The girl shook her head. "Just Walter complaining about the pups trampling his flower bed again."

"Ah." Quinton drummed his fingers on the top of the desk thoughtfully. "I'll say something to Amy about it, I'm headed that way now." He looked back to Caleb and jerked his head to the side, signaling Caleb to follow.

Caleb smiled at the omega behind the desk as he walked past her. She gave him a timid, almost frightened, smile back. Caleb sighed. Black River didn't even know about his 'special' status and yet they too seemed scared of him. He shrugged it off. It was entirely possible that the girl was just really shy around shifters she didn't know.

The two walked to the main door which was a large glass door similar to what you might see at a small convenience store. It was nice. It allowed the sun to brighten up the room, making it seem more friendly. Not that it wasn't already bright and cheerful. A large area rug with a swirling, white and maroon pattern sat in the center of the room, covering a huge space of the tiled floor.

To one side of the room was a wall with four computer terminals that Caleb assumed were for pack use. The other wall opened into an office and there were three chairs and a love seat sitting along the edges of the area rug with a coffee table sitting in the center.

Caleb still didn't know what building they were in but it was obvious to him that it was used for multiple purposes and was probably the hub of pack life in Black River. He already knew that the lover levels contained holding cells and interrogation rooms and the floor above that was the clinic and patient rooms. The Alpha's office was probably located in the building as well, maybe even the office across from the front desk as the girl Quinton had spoken to appeared to be his receptionist or something.

Caleb gave the girl a curious glance as he followed Quinton out of the building and into the warm, afternoon, sun. "She's an omega." Caleb said, once they were out of ear shot.

"Very astute." Quinton said with a hint of annoyance.

"Her mate allows her to work?"

"Darcy isn't mated yet." Quinton told him.

"Not mated yet? How old is she?"

"Twenty-two."

Caleb stopped in his tracks, staring at Quinton with a look of shock suddenly appearing on his face.

Quinton turned and looked at him. "What?" He snapped, his irritation showing.

Caleb shrugged. "Isn't that a bit...odd?"

Quinton raised an eyebrow. "Is it?"

"In Silver Moon, omegas are usually mated soon after their first heat, and they'd never be allowed to hold a regular job."

"What jobs are they allowed to hold?" Quinton asked, his curiosity sparked.

"Child care, cleaning, sometimes helping the elderly. But that's usually if they don't have pups of their own to care for. An omega's first duty is to provide pups for his or her mate."

Quinton rolled his eyes. "Well, this isn't Silver Moon." He told Caleb, his tone cold with a hint of anger behind his words. "We do things differently here. Our pack makes their own decisions on who and when they mate. Even the omegas. We don't have forced mating's and we don't use omegas for slave labor."

Caleb cast his eyes to the ground. If the Alpha's intent was to shame and humiliate him, it worked. Caleb felt about two inches tall. Quinton sounded absolutely disgusted with him. So much for staying strong. Caleb had just proven how weak and useless he actually was.

"I...I'm sorry if I offended you." Caleb stammered, trying to find the right words. "It's just, well, I've never seen a place that treated omegas as equals. In Silver Moon, I'd be beaten just for speaking my mind."

Quinton clenched his jaw and growled low, under his breath. The more he heard about Silver Moon the less respect he had for them. It was becoming more evident why Caleb would choose to run away rather than be mated there. Especially to Seth Bowden's younger brother. Quinton had no doubt that Jace Bowden was every bit the asshole that his brother was.

"You didn't offend me." Quinton told Caleb, trying to ease the omega's mind. "Your pack's mentality offends me. How are we, as a species, supposed to survive in this modern era when so many of us are still living in the dark ages? It's infuriating."

"Feeling that way, can you blame me for running?"

Quinton thought over the question for mere seconds before slowly shaking his head. "No. Not all all. And I understand why you would have difficulty trusting anyone but, if you really came here for help, you're going to have to start trusting someone. We can't do anything for you if you continue to lie to us."

Caleb looked up, surprised by the Alpha's words. Could there possibly be some small shred of light at the end of his tunnel? It seemed so yet Caleb was still suspicious of the man and his intentions. He wasn't ready to let his guard down just yet.

"I want to trust you." He confessed. "Rhys said I should but you have to understand my position. In Silver Moon I was considered a possession, not a person, and no one, not even my family, cared about what was best for me. Before I met Rhys, the only person I could trust and rely on was myself, and for the past year I'd constantly been looking over my shoulder. With Rhys gone, it's like being back in Silver Moon. The only one concerned with my well being is me. My silence is more out of self-preservation than disrespect."

Hearing Caleb speak about Rhys brought that old, familiar, anger back to the surface but for the first time, Quinton realized that his anger wasn't directed at the little omega standing behind him but at that pack that had failed the boy in so many ways.

Chancem77
Chancem77
206 Followers