A Love that Lasts Forever Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's going to take some time." Quinton told him. "For both of us. Maybe...we can help each other through it. If that is okay with you?"

Caleb nodded. "I'd like that. I could definitely use a friend. Rusty and the other omega's are great but they haven't lost what you and I have lost. We're unique in that I think. He was my mate but he was also your brother and we both loved him a great deal."

"Yes, we did." Quinton agreed. "You're right. We are unique in that way because Rhys was special to both of us, each in our own way."

"He was." Caleb pulled his legs up to his chest, resting his chin on his knees. "He was very special and I'll miss him for the rest of my life."

Quinton watched as Caleb leaned into himself, seemingly becoming smaller as he sat there, his mind most likely reliving memories of the short time he'd spent with Rhys. Quinton hated seeing Caleb so sad, so empty. This wasn't the way he'd pictured this day going. His hand slipped down to the pocket of his jeans and he felt the pendant, still there, waiting patiently for the right moment to be presented to it's new owner. This was the right time, Quinton realized. If ever there was a time.

"Listen, I have to drive Shelby back to her parents house. After that I have to check in with the security office but then I'll probably be in my office the rest of the day."

"It's fine." Caleb said, not looking up. He seemed miles away, lost in thought.

"Caleb." Quinton waited until Caleb slowly turned his face to look at him.

"Hm?"

Quinton reached into his pocket and pulled the necklace out, holding it in his hand. "Bringing Shelby here wasn't the only reason I came back early. Hell, it wasn't even the original reason I'd planned to come back. She just kind of caught me off guard. Anyway, I'm rambling. I came back because I wanted to give you something."

Caleb watched him curiously as he held the necklace out for him to see. "I saw this when I was making my rounds through supplies. I know it may seem a bit odd but, I don't know, there was just something about it. It's different, unique, like you. Anyway, I just thought you might like it."

Caleb held out his hand and Quinton gently placed the pendant onto his opened palm. Caleb studied it closely. The white gold half moon, the hemp cord, even the tiny bone beads that framed the tiny moon. He took in each detail with great care, even tracing along the edge of the moon with his thumb. "It's beautiful." Caleb said. "But why are you giving me this? I mean, you've given me so much already. I love it. I'm just not sure that I deserve something so precious."

Quinton smiled warmly. "That's precisely why you deserve it." Quinton took the necklace then tenderly slipped the cord over Caleb's head, lifting his long hair out of the way so that the necklace hung loosely, the half moon resting just above the dip in Caleb's neck. It looked just as Quinton had envisioned it would.

Caleb placed his hand over the piece, smiling brightly. He looked at Quinton and Quinton noted how his eyes shone as they glistened with fresh tears. "Thank you." Caleb whispered. "No one has ever given me something so lovely, Quinton. It's really...touching."

"I'm glad you like it." Before Quinton even knew what he was doing, he let his finger trace a path down Caleb's cheek and along his jaw line.

Caleb closed his eyes. "That's nice." He said softly, speaking his thoughts aloud.

"Yes." Was all Quinton could say. He was watching Caleb closely. Watching his hand slip from his neck into his lap. His other hand encircled his knees and then, Caleb leaned his head to the side, pressing his cheek against Quinton's hand.

Caleb slowly opened his eyes and met Quinton's. Quinton's breath hitched. He couldn't help but stare into Caleb's eyes. Those big, beautiful, amber eyes of his. It was no wonder that Rhys had fallen so deeply for the man. If Quinton wasn't careful, he could find himself falling for him as well. Especially with the way that Caleb was looking at him now.

It wasn't lust he was seeing. It was more innocent than that. There was need there but it was more like a need to be seen. A need to be accepted, to be loved, cherished and protected. Before Rhys, Caleb had never felt those things. He'd never been wanted. His existence was empty. Rhys had changed all that but with him gone now, what did Caleb have left? His pup, of course, but it wasn't the same as having someone really care about you, to show concern, or to genuinely want to make you happy.

With Rhys gone, that empty place in Caleb's soul had opened once more and Quinton suddenly felt himself wanting to fill that void and make Caleb whole again. He didn't want to see Caleb suffer, not for one more single moment.

"Caleb..."

"Yes?"

Quinton leaned closer and to his surprise, Caleb leaned in too. Quinton caressed the side of Caleb's face as he pulled him closer. "Caleb, I..." Their lips were close. So close that Quinton could feel Caleb's warm, sweet, breath on his face. Caleb closed his eyes again and Quinton's hand slipped around, cupping the back of his head...

"Quinton?"

Caleb's eyes shot open and he quickly jerked his head back, turning away from Quinton, and away from Shelby as she stepped into the room, eyeing the two them with disapproval. "We should get going." She said, her voice sounding cold and stern. "My parents will be wondering where I am"

"Yeah." Quinton sighed, pushing himself reluctantly up from the couch. "I didn't really plan to be gone this long anyway."

Caleb slid silently off the couch then moved across the room to Rhylan who was still asleep in the swing. He quickly scooped the child up in his arms. "I should get him changed and then put down for a nap." Caleb said as he hoisted the infant up, laying him across his shoulder.

He turned and moved past both Quinton and Shelby, stopping only briefly to look at Quinton, mouthing the words "Thank you" as he walked past.

"He is cute." Shelby said, causing both Caleb and Quinton to look at her. "The baby." She clarified. "He's cute."

"Thanks." Caleb said. "It was nice meeting you, Shelby. You'll have to stop back sometime when Rhylan is awake and more active." Though the sentiment was kind, there was no warmth in his voice. He simply turned away and walked quickly out of the room and down the back hall under the stairs, towards the guest room.

Shelby looked at Quinton and he could see the question she longed to ask burning in her eyes.

"No, we don't share a bedroom, or a bed." Quinton told her. "As I've said before, we only agreed to mate to appease the council. Caleb is still very much in love with Rhys."

"Clearly." Shelby smirked. "Whatever you say, Quin."

"It's the truth." He narrowed his eyes as he studied the change in her expression which had gone from suspicious to amused. "I have no romantic feelings towards Caleb at all and as soon as we're out from under the watchful eye of the council, we'll dissolve this mating and life can go on as usual."

"Um hum." Shelby bit her bottom lip to suppress her laugh. "You keep telling yourself that, Quinny. If it makes you feel better about yourself, just keep telling yourself that."

Quinton sighed, growing irritated with the conversation. "Come on. Let's get back to your house before your dad has the entire patrol out looking for you."

He walked passed her, out of the living room and towards the front door. Shelby shook her head as she gave a soft chuckle, then followed Quinton out of the room and outside to his truck that was waiting in the driveway.

Caleb did seem like the typical reserved and well mannered omega that he obviously was trying to portray but, that was only camouflage. There was something there, hidden just beneath his calm and amiable demeanor. She couldn't quite put her finger on it but her instincts told her that there was something more going on than what was visible on the surface.

Regardless, she didn't trust the man. He was hiding something and she wasn't so sure that his intentions were as innocent as Quinton seemed to think. He was a puzzle. A mystery that needed to be solved and luckily, for Quinton, Shelby just loved a good mystery.