A Love to Last Ch. 09

Story Info
Will Ben and David get the happy ending they deserve?
17k words
2.63
2.2k
1

Part 9 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/14/2023
Created 12/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
vanalas
vanalas
225 Followers

Comments, critiques and tips are welcome!

***

"No!" David said, shaking his head. He could feel the searing pain in his heart. "That cannot be. You must be mistaken. Ben cannot have cancer, it's not possible."

"I am sorry." The handsome man apologized. "I know how hard this might be for you and I wish I wasn't breaking this news to you. But it's the truth. I did the test thrice and it was confirmed that he has colon cancer and it has started invading other organs."

David's face felt terribly wet as though he were standing in a blowing gale.

"No! You're lying." He sobbed. "Ben cannot have cancer. It's not possible. He's a good guy, doctor."

He couldn't stop crying.

"Pease, tell me this is a joke."

"Calm down, your husband needs you now more than ever." He said, rubbing the man's shoulder. "He needs your support and your love now more than ever. You need to be strong and happy for his sake. These are moments when he's gonna need you more than ever."

'Well, I want our first born to be a girl.' Ben's voice rang through his head. 'And she's gonna be beautiful. We'll name her Leah, just like my mother.'

David furiously rubbed his tears and looked at the doctor, his eyes blood red. Without saying a word, he rudely ran past him and badged into the room. When he reached there, his heart broke to pieces when he saw Ben lying in that bed with blood connected to him.

He looked so peaceful and yet, the only thing David was able to remember was the state he had found him in. He walked slowly to the bed, ignoring the nurse that was doing her thing and injecting him with some medication.

Reaching the bed, he dropped to his knees and held Ben's hand, kissing it like there was no tomorrow. The boy was sleeping, probably unaware of the terrible disease that he had been diagnosed with. A terrible weight fell onto David's shoulders as he watched the boy lying still on the bed.

"My love," He said in between sobs. "You're gonna be fine. I won't let anything happen to you, I swear. You need to fight for us, for our future and for our family. You promised that it was gonna be the two of us forever."

He cried like a baby, feeling like someone was squeezing his heart. It had to be a lie because there was no way Ben could have cancer.

"We've sedated him but once he wakes up, he might began experiencing the pain again," The doctor whom he hadn't even noticed had followed him spoke. "At this stage of the cancer, it will be useless to do radiotherapy as it cannot help us. The only way is surgery and we need to do it quickly before it becomes impossible."

David raised his face and stared at the doctor, feeling his heart begin to race.

"What?" He slowly rose from the floor. "Does this mean that once he undergoes surgery, he's gonna be just fine?"

"I cannot say right now, Mr. Paola." He sighed. "It's a 50:50 chance, depending on the extent of the invasion. I cannot say much because I am not an oncologist."

Whatever the doctor said was gibberish to him. All he heard was that there was a chance that his Ben could be saved and he was going with that. He couldn't lose him and he wasn't going to.

"Then let's do it." He said, gripping the doctor's arm painfully. "I don't care about anything else as long as I can ensure the survival of my husband. When can we start?" He asked abruptly. "Do I need to sign any papers? Can we do it today?"

"That's no problem." The doctor smiled. "However, like I said, we need a specialist for this case. Surgery will be performed and you are gonna need to deposit a minimum of 340 000 dollars."

David could have sworn his jaw almost dropped to the floor. His mouth opened, his body didn't move. The color drained from his face as he stared wide-eyed at the doctor in front of him. Fear slowly cripped through him and he felt his heart pounding in his chest, threatening to come out.

"340 000 dollars?" His voice was barely above a whisper.

"Yes!" The doctor nodded. "Once you do that, we can have the specialist come here and start doing the tests. Then he'll undergo surgery."

"What?" A tear rolled down his cheek. "But-but I don't have such an amount of money. Even if I sold everything I have, there's no way I am gonna raise anything. Please..." He put his hands together. "...I am begging you, doctor, help me. Save my husband and I shall forever be grateful."

"I am sorry, Mr. Paola." The doctor apologized. "My hands are currently tied. I cannot do anything to help. The only way is surgery. You're the only one that can help him and the sooner you find the money, the better it will be for your husband. Otherwise, without surgery, we cannot do anything here as well. You might as well take him home."

A strange feeling washed over David with unbreakable force.

"I am sorry." The doctor apologized. "But you need to raise that money as soon as possible. I am sure that there has to be some way you can find it." He smiled sheepishly and patted on his shoulder. "Excuse me!"

When the doctor left, David remained there with his head full of thoughts that he didn't know what to think first. He knew he had to save Ben no matter the cost. He couldn't allow him to suffer.

He went back to the bed, took the boy's hands and stared into his beautiful face.

"Why is this happening, my love?" He cried softly as he slowly knelt. "Why did it have to be you and not me? You don't deserve what's happening to you, my love? I wish it was me lying in that bed instead of you.

How am I supposed to stay strong when I know that you're suffering?" He mourned. "Why is life testing me like this?"

His hands moved and caressed the boy's cheeks.

"I need you, Ben. "He sobbed heartbreakingly, his tears of sadness falling like a shower as he sobbed. "I don't know what to do or where I am gonna get the money. But I can't watch you die, I just can't. I'd rather die with you."

He buried his face into the bed and sobbed there with a strangled scream, his shoulders trembling. After crying for what felt like hours, he raised his face with his eyes red and swollen. He gazed at the sleeping boy and got up from the floor, kissing him softly on the lips.

"I will do everything to make sure you get out of this, Ben." David vowed as he planted a kiss on the forehead. "I promise!"

With those words, he quickly left the room.

***

"These are the files that I want you to study." Claudia said as she handed a beautiful young woman the files. "We're receiving a very important client and I want everything to go smoothly."

"Yes, ma'am." She nodded, wearing a beautiful smile. "All of us know how important this deal is for you and also for us. We'll do our best to impress them.":

Claudia smiled. "I know you will."

She began giving the woman instructions on what she wanted them to focus mostly on. Claudia was looking sexy that morning in what she wore. She had a black designer's sexy dress that showed off her beautiful hour glass figure, reaching her knees. Her cleavage was exposed for the world to see with beautiful silver heels on her feet. Her hair was made into a braided ponytail, revealing her beautiful ageless face with makeup gracing her face.

As she was busy explaining, she heard her door open and close.

"I thought I said I didn't wanna be disturbed." She said in a frustrated tone. "Can you go and come back later. I am discussing something very important."

She didn't even bother to look at who had come inside, but she continued explaining.

"Mom?"

Claudia felt the muscles of her heart tighten with incredible force when she heard that voice. Her eyes robotically moved towards the door and when she saw him standing there, staring at her, her breathing became light and her mouth gaped.

She couldn't believe it. Her son whom she hadn't set eyes on in sixth month was standing in her office. It was like a dream, a very good dream. He looked different from the classy and good looking son she had raised. His hair had grown so much. He wore a blue old t-shirt that seemed to have some blood stains on it. He had a blue short and sandals on his feet. He had lost some weight and seeing him like that, she felt like crying.

"David!" Her breath was shaky. "Is that you?" She rose from the chair slowly, her mouth shaking.

She dismissed the woman she had been talking to and rushed to her son. She wrapped her arms around him and mother and son hugged tightly, both emotional. Claudia couldn't believe it. Although she had disowned him, she was glad he was back because she dismissed him.

David on the other hand had never though he'd be that emotional when he met his mother again. At that point, he realized how much he had missed her, how much he had missed her embrace and cares. It was such an emotional moment.

"Oh my God, David!" Claudia sniveled as she kissed his face. "Look at you, my son. You've changed so much. What happened to you?"

David couldn't speak. He just stared at her with tears in his eyes. He had travelled about 2 hours just to reach the capital and he was already worried about leaving his husband alone, unattended to.

"Never mind!" She held his hands and kissed them. "The good thing is you're back, my son. You have no idea how happy this makes me. Everyone is gonna be so happy to see you."

She started rushing to the table. "Let me just pack my stuff and then we can go home." She laughed. "I'll cancel all my meetings and then..."

"Mom!" He called weakly.

"I know." She laughed. "I know that we kinda left things in a bad state and we said some hurtful words to each other. But let's forget about that. You're my son and I cannot remain mad at you forever. The important thing is you realized your mistakes and you came back. I am gonna throw a grand party for your return. I cannot wait to tell..."

"Mom..."

"Just a minute, baby." She glanced at him and smiled. "Let me..."

"I need your help!" he said softly, getting closer to her. "I really need your help because I am in trouble."

Claudia quickly turned and looked at her son, a frown appearing on her face.

"What kind of trouble are you in?" She asked with a raised eyebrow. "We can talk about it at..."

"I don't have much time, mom." He sighed. "I need money, about 400 000 dollars. IT's urgent."

Claudia felt her heart begin to race. "What? Why do you need so much money? Can you tell what kind of trouble you are."

"I can't right now but maybe later. But you need to give me that money." He said abruptly. "I need it right now. It's a matter of life and death."

Claudia felt like someone had slapped her in the face. "You didn't return here because you missed your family, did you? You only returned here because you had nowhere else to go. You only showed up here because you're desperate and you need this money." Her voice was rising. "How could I have been so stupid as to think that my long lost son has finally returned to his family? I am so stupid."

"Mom, please." He rushed to her and held her hand. "I did miss you and..."

"No!" She furiously released her hand. "How stupid do you think I am? Six months you left our house. No calls, no texts and not even a word from you. I should have known."

"Mom, please..."

"David, just leave."

"Mom, I need your help." Tears welled in his eyes. "Ben is in the hospital and he needs emergency surgery. If he doesn't get that, I might lose him."

Claudia's eyes narrowed and her teeth clenched together. She let out a growl of annoyance and clenched her fists so hard that her nails dug into her skin. She was suddenly so mad that she began shaking. 'Ben' she thought as all kinds of evil possessed her and she was reminded of how much she hated him.

"Yesternight, he was in so much pain and he began bleeding." He added, staring at his mother who couldn't even keep eye contact with him. "The doctor told me he has cancer and it can only be treated by surgery. I need to pay for the specialist to come and perform everything." He dropped to his knees. "I am desperate here, mom, and I need your help. You're the only one that can help me. Please!"

'Serves him right,' She thought as she glared at her son, getting hurt by his words.

"Mom, please..." He added, taking her hand into his but she angrily withdrew. "...you're my only hope. Help me."

Claudia chuckled bitterly. "6 months ago, you left my house because of this same boy. You chose that boy over your family despite my warnings." She groaned, shaking her head. "I begged you to stay but you still left any ways. You pointed the gun at me, your mother. Do you remember what I said to you?"

David was quiet. He couldn't open his mouth to answer her, except for the tears in his eyes.

"I told you that once you left, you could never return. That was the most painful moment in my life." She barked. "Every mother's wish is to spend all the days of her life with her children but when her children hurt her, what do you expect her to do. So, what should I call this? Should I call it karma?"

"Mom, please..."

"That boy destroyed my happy family." She yelled, moving away from him. "We used to happy and united, until he seduced you and destroyed everything. Do you know how much I have been praying for that boy to suffer? Guess my wish came true." She laughed.

"Please!" David put his hands together. "I love him so much and I cannot just watch him suffer like this. If not for anyone, at least do it for me, mom. I promise I'll forever be indebted to you."

"For what?" She chuckled bitterly. "So that I can be heartbroken again?"

"No, but your son will be happy." He said, staring deep into her eyes. "Mom, I love you so much but I cannot live without Ben. I know that you're not the kind of woman that would allow someone to die when you've got the power to do something. I know that despite what has happened between us, you still love me and want to see me happy. I am begging you, mom. I need your help."

Claudia remained quiet, staring at her crying son. She wanted to hold him so bad and tell him everything was gonna be okay. But she was also mad at him for putting her in so much pain the last six months. She hated Ben so much and she wanted nothing more than to see him suffer. If he died, then her son was finally gonna return to her. Her family was gonna be complete.

"Please!"

Claudia slightly closed her eyes.

"Fine!" She sighed. "I will help you. I will give you any amount of money that you want."

David felt a shiver go down his spine when he heard her answer. His heart leapt with joy and a smile appeared on his face. He rose from the floor and rushed to his mother. Then with excitement, he hugged her tightly.

"Thank you so much, mom," He said excitedly. "Thank you so much. I know that you were gonna help me."

"Yeah, you're my son after all." She said with a stern face. "But you didn't allow me to finish. You are also gonna do something for me."

David broke the hug but still held her hands in his. "What is it, mom? I'll do anything. Just tell me."

"Good!" She caressed his cheek, wearing a million-dollar smile. "I'll help that boy although he doesn't deserve it. But you're gonna return back home and you're gonna resume working at the company."

David chuckled. "That's not a problem. As soon as Ben..."

"You're not returning home with that boy." She seethed, her eyes widening. "You're gonna return home, resume work and you're gonna marry Jim."

David's entire body jerked to a stand still unexpectedly. He couldn't believe what he had just heard his mother say. His eyes widened and he slowly uncoiled his arms from her, standing a distance. He shook his head.

"What?" He gasped. "Mom?"

"What?" She shrugged, jotting her hip. "You thought it was gonna be easy? You're even lucky I am offering to help but like I said, I am a mother after all. God forbid will I allow my family to break again. You'll get what you want and I'll also get what I want. Let's just call it helping one another."

"No!" He shook his head, tears rolling down his face. "Over my dead body will I leave Ben and marry someone I don't love. Ben is my life and I cannot imagine spending my life with any other person."

"Good!" She chuckled bitterly, raising an eyebrow. "Then I guess you're gonna have to watch your life die. I am pretty sure it will be fun. Either way, I get rid of that boy out of our lives."

Fear crawled over his body, prickling his skin. The thought of Ben dying make him so sick that he felt his stomach tighten. All he felt was desperate despair.

"I left home six months ago, a life full of luxury with workers at my disposal." He said in between sobs. "All my life, I have never done manual work, not a single day. But I left all that behind and worked myself off just to be with him mother. What does that show you? I love Ben so much and if you could just give him a chance, you'll get to realize that he's a nice boy. He makes me happy. He shows me so much love. I don't love Jim and I can never be with him no matter what."

"Oh..." She moaned, touching her chest in mock astonishment. "...that is so sweet. Too bad that doesn't move me at all. I don't care if you're in love with God himself. All I know is that you're gonna do as I have asked if you want me to help him. Otherwise, you can forget about it."

David nodded, wiping his tears.

"Then forgive me for coming to you... mother." He said, a little harshly. "Looks like I made a big mistake. I was hoping I was coming to meet my mother and she would help her son and accept the boy that makes him happy. But all this bitterness and selfishness that you have will one day cost you everything that you have. Thank you so much for your help."

With one final look at her, he started going away.

"You will understand one day when you have children that you need to make certain decisions and sacrifices for them." She hollered, making him stop. "And when you become desperate enough, you know where to find me."

Without even turning, David stormed out of the office. He was in so much pain and he was so desperate. His only way of finding money had been shattered. He had tried calling his friend but he couldn't reach him.

What was he going to do?

***

"You don't say!" Elena gasped, holding out her chest. "Wow! This is the best news I have heard in a long time. I didn't even start praying and God has already started punishing him for me. Wow, this turned out better than I expected."

'I was shocked too.' Claudia laughed on the other end. 'Who would have guessed that something like this was gonna happen?'

"Obviously, not us." Elena laughed on top of her voice. "So where's he? I swear I would love to set my eyes on him and cause more pain than he is suffering."

'No idea!' She sighed on the other end. 'I didn't even bother to ask because I don't care. I gave him an ultimatum if he wants me to help him.'

"I trust you." Elena laughed manically. "I want to see him suffer more than he is doing right now. In a few days, I bet he'll be six feet underground. Then I'll get rid of the pest called Ben forever. Isn't that wonderful?"

"It is."

"You know what? This calls for a celebration." She hollered. "I'll meet you soon so you can give me details. We need to find where this bitch is so we can pay him a visit."

'On it.'

She cut the call and just stood still, wearing an evil grin. She couldn't remember the last time she had been that excited, feeling like she was about to have the best orgasm of her life. She could picture the boy taking his last breath and she wanted to witness it with her own eyes.

As she was busy thinking, she saw her son coming inside and she rushed to him. Reaching him, she grabbed his arms and started spinning him, singing a very joyful song. Jim who didn't know what was going on looked like a deer caught in headlight.

"Mom?" He sounded confused. "What's going on?"

Elena stopped and then cupped her son's cheeks. "I have got very good news for you. This is the best news that you will hear after a long time."

vanalas
vanalas
225 Followers