All Comments on 'A Man Among Women'

by Dinsmore

Sort by:
  • 126 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Begginings

A story needs to grab you within the first 4 or 5 paragraphs, whereas this rambled on indefinately...

RicanbanditRicanbanditalmost 15 years ago
Excellent

This was a great story, well done! carefully thought out and had great dialog to boot. I actually liked some of the marketing ideas as well!

thanks will look for more of your work to digest!

OleTroubadorOleTroubadoralmost 15 years ago
Abosutely Superb

The tale never faltered. You developed the characters and made them live. Beautifully rendered.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
GREAT STORY

EXCELLENT STORY, VERY NICE DETOUR, NO SLEAZE. MOAT ENJOYABLE

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
3 pages of comments - see the first one

Read the oldest comment in this thread - Dinsmore, you are a genius

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
A very minor nit, but hard to swallow.

A superb officer, a pilot, with ten years of experience would almost certainly be either a Major or a LTC. typically after one years service a 2LT is promoted to a 1LT, after another year or so, at most two years officers the Army want to retain make Captain. After six years as a Captain if you don't make Major, you are released. Up or Out is the Army way. And aviators usually are one rank higher than other branches, because they command so many officers, all the pilots are at least warrant officers. And the higher pay helps with retention.

Based on my experience both as an army brat and 2 years in the Signal Corps 1969/71 military experience does not help in the business world. It may get you in the door for an entry level job, but Bob is a very, very unique individual to go from military to business at a high level without any intervening experience. Management is not leadership. Leadership helps, but Business is not about killing people and breaking things.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Super Story

This is an excellent story. I have just become acquainted with your stories and am working my way through them in their alphabetical order. You have an exceptional talent that enables the reader to connect with your characters on an emotional level. You were able to hold my attention even without any sexual scenery. I am looking forward to reading more of your stories.

FarahKhanFarahKhanover 15 years ago
ONE in a MILLION

Thank you so much for such an entertaining story. I am a big fan.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
you are the best

Outstanding as usual. I read your short stories over and over. Thank You!

DRSPEAKDRSPEAKover 16 years ago
Needs a wider audience

Excellent work. I have never served but I believe your presentation of our military people, while limited by the limits of the genre, show a side that needs to be seen by the general public. We do not often here enough about the "human" side of our military and sometimes forget that they are good people doing a tought job (and except for rare variations) doing it well. I hope as a writer you seek other outlets for your work to give the general public an opportunity to experience your work and to build a better understanding of the people that serve their country. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
THANK YOU.

That's it...just THANK YOU.

JackofMyTradeJackofMyTradeabout 17 years ago
Another home run.

I always look for your stories and this one was, as usual, top flight. I'm slowly working my way down your list of stories. Good job.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Ooh Rah!

This is the first of your stories I have read but I intend to read them all. You are a first rate storyteller and have a gift for expressive dialogue. Keep up the good work!

Irish_DomIrish_Domover 17 years ago
Great!

Other than a couple of english mistakes (grammer or spelling) the was a very enjoyable read. Continue to write please. Would love to read more from you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A

totally absorbing story,I enjoyed it immensely.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Another Home Run!

I really enjoy reading your work, and am glad I stumbled across this site, and ultimately your stories. Keep em' coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great

Another of your great corporate stories! I like the type of characters you write about.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
"Airborne"

I was an Army Infantry Officer in Vietnam. The sentiments shown in your story about how an officer feels about his men is a truism that most people don't know about. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
kudos

kudos on a fine story.

it had some weakness IMHO, too much time was spent on the intro & job interview, less on the vital changes (which could have used more detail) and the ending of years was summarized and lost immediancy. some of the how-tos here might be of use.

but still a stellar effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
KUDO's - Then A comment on A Comment on A

Comment. A strong effort Author - you are very much appreciated for your talent, time and imagination.

Regarding Author comments upon comments - I would recommend that you sit back if you can to wait and see how the people who appreciate you deal with non-rational commentators. What an Author owes us is only what they have already provided to read.

Responsible writers expend a reasonable amount of time researching for plausiblity as you did. I felt you came across just fine but then I wasn't nit picking at non-essentials.

In a short story, a certain amount of latitude in detail is necessary and understood by reasonable readers (this to avoid epistles). Secondly, this isn't a paid professional writer site as much as some authors like this one approach that level.

As you will see I am anonymous and plus or minus pointwise it has no bearing on the rationality or validity of the stated position or reason for comment. All of us can be equally right or wrong or drunk!

Again Author - suggest you hesitate as we all should before commenting. In your case, wait to see how others address unreasonable people or comments, then if you absolutely must - do as you feel necessary but nothing is ever owed beyond your story.

Thanks Again Author - With High Regard (More please)

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 18 years ago
Great Story!

Your writing is unusally powerful. I don't know what you do for a living, but dude, you need to find a publisher - you have talent.

DinsmoreDinsmoreover 18 years agoAuthor
I seldom respond to dumb reviews but utter fantasy

I love people who don't understand that we are writing "fiction" and also assume that every story is told in the present time. I'm convinced that, "utter fantasy" is just another lame troll with his or her head in a dark place without the guts to sign the crap they write.

The more I consider the blatant stupidity...uh, oh, I'm getting pissed!

Almost thirty years ago, I interviewed with a company much like the one in the story. That interview inspired the story---the rest is F-I-C-T-I-O-N!!!! didn't go to work for them but did end up spending 26 years with another company with a fair mix of men and women and I'm confident that I'm not that far off the mark.

I modernized the military part; when I was an Army officer flying medivacs in Vietnam, we didn't have any women aviators.To tie the military piece in I had to move forward in time. My son is a military officer who has served in combat and he felt that my overall view of the modern military female officer was reasonable.

I assume we have been visited by someone who works in Human Resources which used to be Personnel. What did Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry say? Oh, yea, now I remember: "Personnel? Personnel is for ass holes."

Dinsmore

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Not a waste of time.

Not what I expected. Actually, it was far better. A nice easy read that makes the reader go 'hmmm' at the end. It's good that a story like this comes along once in a while. A pleasant break from the bad things that happen in so many stories here.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Please DO waste out time....

I am more than a little confused by the previous review. I read this, expecting some good fiction. I got it. I have no idea what working practices or legal requirements the previous reviewer is commenting about. I have seen virtually everything mentioned here happen many times over the last 30 years, with nobody going to jail. And if the story was that bad, why read all 4 pages of it?

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
utter fantasy

Total crap showing a complete ignorance of US working practices and even legal requirements. don't waste our time with this.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous