A Match Made before Heaven

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nat had arranged for the two of us to walk the waterfront after work. We did this usually when we worked an early shift on the same days. I headed to the paediatric ward and looked forward to catching up with some former colleagues. I changed out of my uniform into my workout clothes in the staff change area on the way.

As I walked onto the paediatric ward, I was shocked to see Hugh in a physiotherapist uniform helping a child use crutches. As soon as he saw me his face lit up and he waved enthusiastically, all while making sure the child was safe. I walked past and squeezed his arm and told him he was busy, and I would be back later. I found Nat still in her office.

"Fleur, you have to meet Adonis, our new physio!" Nat said!

I laughed and said I had seen Hugh in the corridor.

"Wait, so you know him?" Nat enquired.

I told her that he was the African son I had told her about a several weeks before when I was concerned about crossing boundaries.

"Fleur, he is gorgeous and amazing with the kids and the staff- he's so funny and has lots of stories of the places he's travelled, he's tall and his breath is perfect! If I wasn't married I'd be lining up for a date!"

I told Nat to hurry up so we could walk! As we were leaving Nat's office Hugh was coming down the corridor. "Fleur! It is so good to see you!" Hugh said as he threw his arms around me for a hug. He smelt just as good as before and gave the most wonderful hugs.

"C'mon you two, cut it out, you're at work and the kids might see!" Nat chimed in, the three of us laughing.

Hugh said he still had my number but wasn't sure if he should call me or not. I laughed and told him I was still here, and he could call whenever he liked.

On our walk Nat told me I was very smooth, and I said that honestly I did not know what to say. I told her that I found Hugh incredibly sexy, but I was not sure if it would be appropriate to seek him out, especially considering the circumstances we met. Plus, who knew if we would end up having a lot in common. Nat's response made me smile, "Maureen?"

When I got home there was a text from Hugh, 'Fleur, I've missed your amazing hugs and I still owe you a coffee- are you free Saturday?'

I texted back, 'I'm off this weekend. Coffee sounds lovely- Saturday morning?'

Hugh was straight back with a venue and time.

It had been many years since I had been on a date as such. I did not actually know if the coffee was meant to be a date or a catch up or what and did not want to over impress. I thought for hours about what to wear. In the end I settled for a simple floral dress. It suited the weather and I always received lovely compliments when I wore it. I donned mascara and lip gloss.

I did not want to appear too eager, however it is not in my nature to be late. So, at precisely 10am I arrived at the coffee shop. Hugh was already there and had found a table in the corner surrounded by gorgeous indoor plants. I tried not to read too much into things, but a huge smile crept across his face when I arrived and saw him. He kissed me on the cheek when I arrived and joked that he was already behind the table so he could not hug me.

Conversation flowed remarkably freely. We talked of our respective travels and Hugh had me talking all about my family. He asked if I missed mine living so far away. I told him technology had closed the gap a little- the night before my niece played her piano exam piece over Face Time and I often read my nephews stories via Skype. I was not expecting Hugh's next question though.

"So, Fleur, why haven't you been snatched up? You are an amazing woman, you are beautiful and kind and caring and considerate and incredibly sexy and you give the most amazing hugs I would have thought the men would be swarming!"

I looked at my empty cup and played with the teaspoon. "I, um, well, um, gee." I took a big breath. "I suppose I just fall for men who don't see a future with me. Anyway, what about you? Is Miss Africa joining you soon?"

Hugh laughed, "No. I had a couple of girlfriends over the last few years, but nothing serious. One of the reasons I left to go travelling was because I was trying to mend a broken heart, well actually I don't think it's just my heart that's broken."

Maureen had told me about Sally. She too had been a physiotherapist and she and Hugh had been a couple throughout their university days. Maureen had told me that Hugh had finished his degree and worked here for a couple years in private clinics. Hugh went on to tell me Sally had worked at the hospital and one evening had told Hugh that she had chlamydia and he needed to be tested. Hugh's face dropped when he saw me laughing. I immediately reached for his hand,

"Hugh, Hugh, no, um, been there, done that! That's why I'm laughing. Was she also screwing the Spanish Casanova?"

"Yeah, some doctor. Apparently, he was screwing half the hospital." Hugh added.

It was my turn for my face to drop. "Yeah, all whilst telling me he loved me and adored me and spending almost half the week at my place. He's what turned me off men I think."

"So, I ran away. I honestly thought I loved Sally and she had been the only woman I had ever slept with. I went to England first and spent three months sleeping with as many women as I could, but it was all empty and, in the end, I hated myself for it. That's when I headed for Africa."

I noticed I was still holding Hugh's hand and it felt so natural. The waitress came and we ordered more coffees. She offered us a lunch menu. We had been talking for well over two hours. We both ordered the same chicken and brie panini.

"You don't mind spending more time with me?" Hugh enquired.

I laughed, "Not at all! You are amazing company, although I was planning on going to a concert tonight. We don't get a lot of culture in town and there is a Chamber Music concert on and I'm pretty sure you won't be interested," my voice trailed off.

"Are you kidding? Didn't my mother tell you about my violin playing as a child?" Hugh laughed.

She had told me that and I had forgotten. We finished our lunches and I booked tickets online for the evening's concert. None of my nursing colleagues or girlfriends liked classical music and I usually went to these concerts alone.

"Fleur, you have just bought tickets for tonight so I'm paying for lunch and coffees," Hugh insisted despite my protestations, "And I'd really like it if I could cook you dinner before the concert."

This was a real surprise. I don't think I had ever had a man cook me dinner before.

"I mean, don't thank me until you have tried it and I should be honest here and say that I started cooking it this morning and was going to freeze the leftovers, but sharing it with someone else sounds even better." Hugh had a habit of self-deprecation that had come through a few times that morning and I simply smiled.

After Hugh had paid for lunch, we both started walking the same way. I had explained that I had walked to the coffee shop and Hugh noted that he had too. Our conversation continued.

"Hugh, I miss your Mum a lot, but I suspect you miss her more," I started at one point.

Hugh grabbed my hand to hold and squeezed it. "She was such a special woman. I miss her emails. She would email a few times per week and I think I knew her end was coming when the emails slowed. You know I've got several photos of you."

I blushed. I thought I had caught Maureen several times snapping away on her phone but she always told me she was playing cards.

"I hope I'm not taking you out of your way," I added to Hugh as I turned the corner and he followed still holding my hand.

"I suspect we live closer than we realised." Hugh added.

When I arrived at my complex Hugh started laughing.

"No way!" I said in astonishment.

"I'm 401!" Hugh laughed.

"So, you're my new upstairs neighbour! I heard you moving in last weekend as I was trying to sleep in between night shifts!"

"Honestly, Fleur, I had no idea you lived here. There are several apartment blocks on this street because it's close to the hospital, but who would have thought the same one!" Hugh really was laughing. He went to push the button on the lift.

"Um, I know there's a gym and that here that I don't use, but I do prefer the stairs!" I stated as I opened the door to the stairwell. We walked up them together. When we got to the third floor Hugh told me he would come down and get me when dinner was ready. He leant in and gave me one of his amazing hugs. I could feel myself melting in his arms. Neither of us wanted to break the hug it seemed, however eventually I pulled away.

"Hugh, I really enjoyed this morning and am looking forward to this evening. Thank-you."

Hugh was smiling and he brushed his fingers down my cheek.

"You better be ready early," Hugh laughed. Little did he know I was prepared to head inside and get ready straight away!

As I opened my door, I saw my reflection in the mirror. I was indeed smiling. I thought back to Maureen and her constant matchmaking between the two of us and wondered if indeed she might have been onto something.

I opened my balcony doors and immediately caught a waft of spices. Whatever was cooking upstairs smelt delicious. I went to my wardrobe and considered what I might wear to the concert. In reality, the dress I was wearing would have been perfectly adequate, however I felt the need to change. I pulled out my black pencil skirt. I knew it hugged my curves nicely. I looked through my tops. A dusky pink lace number caught my eye with flutter sleeves, but I worried it might be too cool for this time of year. A devilish grin crept across my face and I figured that if I did get cold, I would just have to snuggle up to my concert partner. Plus, I did have a black wrap that would go with and block part of the cold.

Three quarters of an hour later I texted Hugh, 'Something is smelling pretty delicious up there!'

There was a short while before he replied with a simple smiley face. Half an hour later my phone buzzed again, 'Um, dinner is still over an hour away, but could I call on you now?' I laughed and replied, 'Give me 5 minutes to change and I'll come up!'

I was pretty impressed with the outfit I had chosen, and I grabbed my bag and my wrap and a bottle of red wine and headed upstairs. I tapped quietly on the door. It appeared as though Hugh had been waiting. He too had changed into grey slacks and a pink and white striped shirt with the sleeves partially rolled up.

"Wow!" I stated as I walked inside. There was not a lot of furniture- one lounge chair and some bean bags, a bookshelf and a desk.

"Wow indeed!" Hugh responded, "You look stunning as always Fleur! Sorry about the minimalist look- I'm still waiting on some furniture. I'll take you on a tour!"

I laughed and explained that there was probably a similar layout to our units. It was similar, however Hugh was still waiting on a bedframe, sleeping on a mattress on the floor and had boxes of clothes spread around the room.

"I'm sorry, I, um, wasn't really expecting company just yet, but I couldn't not invite you after our amazing date this morning."

"Date?" I enquired with a smile on my lips.

"Well it has been a long while for me, but two people in public sitting and drinking and eating and holding hands for a few hours counts as a date in my books!" Hugh said as he opened the wine. Hugh handed me a glass and we clinked them together. "To Mum." Hugh proposed.

Whilst we waited for the curry to finish cooking, we had a lengthy conversation about the afterlife. Neither of us were deeply religious as such, nor were our views dissimilar. Hugh explained some African folklore he had picked up along the way and I talked of funerals I had seen in Vietnam.

"What about your sisters?" I ventured, "They didn't seem to know how to contact you when Maureen was unwell."

Hugh sighed, "Yeah, that was entirely my fault. They mothered me a lot growing up and neither of them liked Sally so when she broke my heart, I was not ready for the 'I told you so's' so I really cut them off too. I can see now how wrong I was, and I have been enjoying getting to know them again and getting to know my nieces and nephews. Tomorrow we are actually going to the beach for a picnic, I'd really love it if you would come with me."

Dinner was amazing. Hugh had cooked a North African lamb curry and it seriously was some of the best food I had ever eaten. He tried to brush it off telling me I was drunk on two glasses of wine. We did the dishes together and headed for the concert. It was walking distance from our units, so we walked there hand in hand. Hugh put a jacket on that matched his slacks, however he told me it was really to keep me warm on the way home if I needed it.

The concert was in an old church with stunning stained-glass windows. Although it was dark outside, we could still make out some of the features of them. We took a pew in the middle of the church and moved towards the middle. Other people came and sat around us, I felt a tap on my shoulder just before the concert started.

"Dr Sturt! Hello, Mrs Sturt, How are you both?" I enquired, "I'm not sure if you met Hugh, Maureen Stuttgart's son- you remember Maureen I assume?"

"Of course I remember that remarkable woman, Hugh, lovely to see you in nicer circumstances, I believe I met you the day you arrived back from Africa wasn't it? And please, Fleur, I keep telling you, please call me Harold!"

"Dr Sturt, um, Harold, Hugh is actually back in Australia and working as a physiotherapist in the paediatric department."

Our conversation was quietened as the leader of the orchestra took his seat and the tuning up began. Hugh and I held hands for the first part of the concert. It was lovely feeling his side pressing against mine. I had seen him topless after he showered in the hospital one morning and was looking forward to seeing his chest again. My mind drifted away from the music and I thought about possibly having sex with Hugh that evening. I wondered what his fingers would feel like against my nipples and what he could do with his tongue. I was lost in a trance when I noticed people clapping.

It was interval. We stood and I turned to see Dr Sturt again. It was Hugh who initiated conversation this time. "Dr Sturt, I was going to buy a drink for us, can I grab one for you and Mrs Sturt?"

"Don't be silly young man! As I said Call me Harold and this is Meredith. I'm going to buy a bottle of sparkling wine and get four glasses for us all."

Meredith also excused herself to go to the bathroom.

"You were really getting into that Haydn, Fleur!" Hugh noted.

I blushed, "Um, my mind might actually have been wandering a little." I confessed. Hugh squeezed my hand. Harold and Meredith returned and again we proposed a toast to Maureen.

After the concert I excused myself to go to the bathroom. Meredith came with me.

"You make a very handsome couple," She stated.

Again I blushed. "Um, maybe, but it is a little awkward dating a family member of someone I have nursed." I replied honestly.

"Darling, you weren't around 25 years ago when Harold cared for my late husband, Stan. It took a few years before we caught up again, but I'm glad we bumped into each other again. Stan had joked that I should look up his doctor after he died."

I laughed, "Maureen always joked that Hugh and I would make a good team."

We came out and found our partners. I was beginning to see Hugh as just that, even though we didn't know each other very well.

Hugh was quiet on the walk home. "Hugh, is everything ok? Did Harold say something?" I asked.

Hugh squeezed my hand. "No, not at all, he was very enthusiastic and told me what a wonderful nurse you are and how happy he was to see you in love."

"Whoa, that's a bit of a step!" I blurted, my face turning a shade of beet red.

"Fleur, I really, really like you and I am beginning to think that Mum might have been right and we would make a great team, but, I'm, well I don't think I'm ready to make love with you." It was Hugh's turn to blush. "I haven't done it in over three years since my time in England and I don't want to treat you like I treated those women, because you deserve so much more."

"Hugh, I understand," I replied, "It's been about that for me too and I'm not going to make you do anything you aren't ready for."

We continued the rest of our journey in silence. As we got to our block, I went to take the stairs. Hugh had pressed the button for the lift.

"I'm sorry, force of habit," He said. "But, um, I think I'll take the lift though, you still take the stairs if you want."

My heart sank. Tears started welling in my eyes. This was not how I had imagined our night to end. The lift doors opened and Hugh stepped inside. I started climbing the stairs. The tears started falling. I was sobbing by the time I got to my floor. I was fumbling for my keys when I noticed Hugh standing there.

"Fleur, I just royally fucked up. Can we come in and talk?" Hugh offered. I agreed. I poured us both a glass of water and put the kettle on. My sobs were subsiding. Eventually Hugh came around and offered his arms for a hug.

My sobbing recommenced, "I just don't get it," I managed between sobs. Hugh was stroking my hair and my back and I felt amazing in his arms again. He broke away to make a pot of tea.

"Sit with me on the couch, Fleur?" It was more of a question than a command. I nodded and Hugh carried the cups to the lounge area.

"Fleur, I slept with 48 women in three months," Hugh started. "No, let me go back. Sally and I had a pretty crappy sex life. We were each other's firsts and neither of us really knew what we were doing. We fumbled a lot and I had no real idea how to please her. I did some research and tried different things, but we really weren't sexually compatible. When I went to England, I just wanted sex. I had three short term contracts lined up for a month each."

I sat and sipped my tea listening to Hugh explain further. "I slept with 18 different women that first month- nurses, doctors, physios, a speech pathologist and even a cleaner. Some of them were married. A few had boyfriends. I didn't care. I just wanted sex. The first few were pretty ordinary, but towards the end no one complained. I just moved to the next hospital. Here I was a little bit choosier. I went for differences- black women, Asian women, I even slept with a woman in her 50s."

Hugh was crying at this point. I put my tea down and stroked his hand. "By the time I arrived at my third post my reputation preceded me. The first morning a nurse pulled me into a broom closet and we had wild sex with patient buzzers going around us. She didn't care. A few days later, my manager pulled me aside and said there were reports I was not getting my work done and my patients were suffering. She put me on notice and gave me the number of a counsellor and told me to make a call. That night instead of bedding another colleague, I was meeting with Phil."

Hugh was still allowing me to stroke his hand and his crying had stopped. "I told Phil I had turned into a slut. Phil told me that enjoying sex did not make me a slut, but I admitted that I had not been enjoying it and that I was just keeping a tally and that night was going to be the big 50, half a century. Phil reminded me that I had started, and I could stop anytime I liked. I had several more sessions with Phil and I still email him from time-to-time. We talked a lot about the kind of relationship I was looking for. I told Phil I wanted to settle down at some stage and I wanted kids like my sisters had. I was so jealous of the both of them, both with amazing men who treated them so well. I thought I had turned into my father."

"You never met your dad, did you?" I asked.

"No, he died some years ago apparently. I think we have some half siblings out there, but I have no desire to meet any of them. Anyway, I told Phil that I wanted girl number 50 to be someone so special that it meant too much to me."