A Monster Life Ch. 55-57

Story Info
The party has their battle on the waves.
9.5k words
4.77
8.3k
37

Part 23 of the 37 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 08/04/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SciFurz
SciFurz
2,066 Followers

* Made some good progress on writing draft chapters to build a buffer in the last few weeks, and am only two chapters away at the time of uploading this from completing the draft volume 5.

If I can keep this up I can keep up a steady schedule of posting new chapters as well.

*

55 - Confrontation

Sharktail displayed no sign of her revelling in her answer. 'No.'

Tarrence hadn't expected anything else. 'I'll relay your answer to my client.' he said. 'I'm sure they'll know what to do with it.'

The pirate queen picked up the jug at the side of her desk and filled her glass with wine. 'I'm sure they do.' she said, but when she looked back in front, Tarrence had already left through a shadow.

He stepped out of his cabin at the Duchess, the commodore's flagship, and went up to Renhard at the quarter deck. The commodore wasn't happy with the demons on board, but they were crucial for the victory. 'I assume your meeting with that woman turned out nothing.'

Tarrence nodded as he looked at the three members of his party. 'She's confident she's invulnerable, and she doesn't know we're coming.'

Renhard smiled lightly. 'We'll crush her hubris.'

***

'No extraordinary events.' reported Elzbieta to Sharktail in her work chambers. 'Only the usual brawls and bloodshed.'

Sharktail skimmed over the written report. 'But the numbers are lower.'

Elzbieta shrugged. 'Maybe it's the weather.'

Sharktail smiled lightly in amusement. 'Yeah, it seems there's been a bit of a storm going around lately.' She laid the report on her desk and leaned back. 'The good thing is that our population has more chance of growing.'

'Worried about having less people around?'

'There are elements who'd like to wipe us out, so keeping our numbers up is a good deterrent.' Sharktail said and pulled a stone piece with a rune from a small wooden chest and turned it around in her fingers. 'We never know when someone will try to take us on.'

Elzbieta nodded. 'Better to be prepared at all times.'

'Indeed.' said the pirate queen, returned the stone to the chest, put the chest on a shelf of a sturdy cabinet, and locked it. 'I heard your friends are making some progress on magic and defences, although not as much as I'd hoped.'

'It's not as simple as exchanging leather armour for steel. The complexity makes progress slower, but they're confident they will be able to improve things.'

Sharktail nodded. 'True. Give them my regards and tell them I will visit one of these days.'

Elzbieta nodded once. 'I will.' she said, and left. 'I saw the piece.' she said over the familiar link.

Ulric looked a pirate across from a table straight in the eyes. 'Excellent. We'll discuss our next move when we eat.' He tapped his fingertip on a deck of cards. 'Now, shall we have a look at which cards are missing after you shuffled them?'

The pirate swallowed while he couldn't avert his eyes, and cursed whoever claimed the new arrival was just a dumb dog.

***

Elzbieta and Valdys casually looked over an open book in one of the tower's hallways. 'She's asleep?' asked Elzbieta when she sensed no one else around.

Trixy's skeleton chittered from inside Valdys's hood and she nodded. 'Trixy's spirit found her asleep in bed, and she's now heading for the work chambers.'

Elzbieta closed the book. 'All right, let's head over there.'

The floor was empty of staff and they stopped at the door leading into Sharktail's chambers, and Trixy chittered again. 'The door's trapped on the inside.' said Valdys. 'She can take care of the lock but there's a fake panel next to the door and a deeper mechanism connected to a vertical spiked bar. It looks like it'll spring out and hit anyone standing in the doorway.'

Elzbieta hummed. 'We could just trigger it, but then they would see that.' She focussed on Conchim. 'Can you enter the chambers through the window?'

Conchim leaned out of the window from their personal chambers, and checked the nearby buildings and streets lit in the dark by torches and lanterns. 'It's pretty quiet now, so I think I can glide up unseen.' She stepped on the windowsill, gathered enough wind to support her wings, and floated silently upwards to Sharktail's window.

There, she opened the window with a push of air from the inside and went through, joining Trixy's ghost form at the door to take a close look at the trap. 'I think I can block the trap.' she said and used her belt to tie the spiked bar to the trap's frame.

She tested the tension of the belt, then removed the pin blocking the bar. 'It worked. The trap's disabled.'

Trixy quickly unlocked the regular door lock with her nimble bone paw, and Elzbieta and Valdys slipped into the chambers. Elzbieta pointed at the cabinet near the back. 'That's the one.'

Valdys stepped in front of it, and quickly took a step back. 'It's locked and trapped by spells.'

***

A dark grey bird landed on the loft at the top of the second tower, and the trainer removed the small message tube from its leg. At the the sight of the five-pointed star marking the roll of the thin paper inside, he hurried down to Sharktail's chambers.

The urgent knocking on her door woke up Sharktail. 'What!?' she grumbled.

'An emergency message.' said the voice of her personal maid behind her door.

She grumbled as she slipped out of bed and opened the door. Her maid had seen Sharktail walk around naked plenty of times before, but the sight of the woman's tight body still made her a little embarrassed. She held out the small roll of paper. 'It arrived just now.'

Sharktail took it, broke the tiny seal, and read it. She laughed. 'That idiot! Does he really think he can defeat me?' She smiled at the confused maid. 'Tell the guard to sound the war alarm.'

The maid gazed at her with large eyes. 'War?'

'Yes. Now go!' Sharktail said, and the maid hurried away with her heart pounding in her chest.

***

Valdys probed the last part of the mixed spell for the thread to unravel it when the large bell at the top of the tower rang. Ulric called out to her and Elzbieta when they recognised the sequence. 'Girls! We're called to the guard hall.'

Valdys lost her track of the spell when the alarm sounded and grumbled. 'I almost figured out the spell.'

'Nothing we can do about it now. We need to abort the plan.'

Elzbieta and Valdys quickly left the chambers, Conchim restored the trap while Trixy locked the door, and they all returned the way they had come before heading out to the guard hall.

The party met up in the hall where most of the other guards had gathered and were frantically talking between each other, until Oglevie appeared on the small stone podium at one end and gestured for everyone to keep quiet. 'The war signal has sounded. You will all be assigned positions to command people or coordinate with officers and I want preparations done within a sixteenth, after which you will all be informed of the details of the war.'

He stepped down from the podium while guard captains called on people, and went up to the girls and Ulric. 'I'd like you to wait at the officer's chamber until your assignment has been decided.'

***

Caylais arrived at the open gate of the first tower and looked around timidly when she approached the guard. 'I was summoned to see the guard commander?'

The guard pointed at the main double doors of the tower. 'In there, straight ahead to the hall, then the door in the middle to the right.'

She nodded and muttered a thanks, wondering anxiously why she was called there soon after the war signal sounded as she walked though the tower bustling with people hurrying about and calling out orders. She kept to the side to avoid bumping into them and was glad she reached the commander's door. She knocked, then thought it might not have been loud enough over the noise, but Oglevie called out for her to step inside.

'Ah, miss Caylais.' he said. 'I'm glad you came.'

Caylais moved a little closer. 'I don't understand why I was called.'

Oglevie rounded his desk towards her. 'It's about how you took out that sea demon. Your abilities would be useful for defence on one of the ships.'

She blinked at him. 'On a ship?'

He nodded. 'Sharktail's flagship, to be precise. It is the strongest in the fleet but I'd like to take extra precautions. if for some reason the enemy boards us, I want you to use your power to eliminate them.'

The events rushed through her mind and she could barely imagine what she'd need to do, but she was sure she couldn't do it in her current state. She had enough power for her job taking out the cattle painlessly before they were slaughtered at the central slaughterhouse of the fortress island, but that was doing it one by one with enough time to recharge. 'I can't do it with out Ulric.'

Oglevie raised an eyebrow while he thought it made his plans for the party easier. 'All right. I'll have him assist you.'

Caylais's heart skipped a beat. 'You will?'

'Be ready to leave with the fleet. You'll receive your orders then.'

The feline nodded and left, nervous about going out to sea, but also a little happy for an excuse to see Ulric again.

***

Sharktail sat down at the head of the table with her top officers. 'Ladies, gentlemen, our man in Wallace's ranks informed us that the commodore is headed our way with a flotilla to take us down.' She let the grumbles, laughs, and curses cross the table for a few moments before knocking on the table for silence. 'We all know it's preposterous and amounts to treachery since we have an agreement, but it is what it is.' She stood up straight and looked around at everyone. 'Now, I have no doubt in all of your fighting strength, but our man said they gained the support of some demons which we should take very seriously, especially on land. I take his advice very seriously, which is why we'll meet Wallace's forces head on at sea.'

'Can we really take on that flotilla?' asked a female orc captain.

'I know what he has at his disposal, and I have no doubt we can take them on out there with our ships. I'm not going to risk them gaining an advantage by waiting to fight here.'

'Why now?' asked another captain. 'What does he have to gain?'

'He probably thinks he can take over the trade routes of the merchants who pay us off. A big source of all our income.'

The officers grumbled among themselves before Sharktail knocked on the table again. 'We're not going to have that pompous pig take away our livelihood.' she said and unrolled a large map of the sea with marks on it. 'This is how we're going to send them to the bottom.'

***

'Caylais!' said Iphigenia when the party and the feline met on the main pier among sailors preparing the ships to depart to sea. 'Oglevie said we're to support you while being the personal guard for Sharktail.'

Caylais shuffled a foot. 'They want me to do the same thing as on our trip here if it comes to that.' She glanced up quickly at Ulric. 'I said I couldn't do that on my own.'

Iphigenia giggled as she glanced from the shy feline to the big wolf. 'I guess you're correct on that account. Well, I suppose you'll be able to handle it again.'

Caylais nodded. 'I've gained a bit more strength and control over my lightning power since then.'

Iphigenia leaned a little closer and smiled mischievously. 'I wasn't talking about his mana.'

Caylais blushed, but before she could reply, Iphigenia gazed at a point behind her. 'What is that?'

The party gazed at the ship appearing from the far back of the bay, a virtual fortress atop a double hull. 'That is one big catamaran.' said Ulric as he looked over the box-like structure and the wide sails hanging from the double masts.

***

Sharktail smiled at the wind blowing in her face and the silt scent it carried. She didn't regret fighting her way to the top, often literally, but the rank did mean she spent less time out at sea. And the sea was still her greatest lover. She hid her amusement as she watched the party and the feline gaze into the dark upon the sea of lights of the fleet of ships to the left and right of her sailing fortress named the Citadel. 'Impressed?'

Ulric chuckled. 'Let's just say I know people who'd love to experience this.'

Iphigenia giggled. 'Let me guess, from your old world?'

'Absolutely.'

Sharktail moved next to Ulric. 'I hope you'll still feel impressed after we won the battle. They'll most likely hit hardest here.'

'To take out the leadership?'

'Because they want something that I posses.'

Ulric looked at her. 'Something?'

She nodded. 'I don't think it's coincidence that I had a visit from someone who insisted at buying a stone from me, claiming it belonged to his client.'

'A gemstone?'

'No, regular stone. Engraved with a rune. Doesn't look that valuable to me, but going out of the way to retrieve it told me it was worth more than what he offered.'

'The artefact!' said Valdys.

'Aren't you worried someone will try to steal it, now that we're out at sea?' asked Elzbieta.

Sharktail smiled slightly. 'That's part of why you're here with me. I took it with me as a precaution, and you're to prevent anyone from trying to steal it from my quarters if that were to happen.' One of the crew stepped up to her and gave her a note. 'Looks like we'll encounter them tomorrow night.' she said and looked at Conchim. 'I'll need you to fly often between me and my captains during the day and the time of battle. Be prepared.'

Conchim gave her a nod. 'No problem.'

She turned to Kaui and Valdys. 'I need you to optimise the defences wherever you can.'

The girls gave her a nod as well.

'Caylais, take care of anything trying to board the ship and ask for assistance when you need it.'

Caylais stiffened a little. 'Yes!'

She then looked at Iphigenia, Elzbieta, and Ulric. 'Stay close to me when you can, but do assist anyone fighting, especially Caylais, Ulric.'

'We'll do.' said Ulric.

She gave him a quick smile, then went down to her quarters. Oglevie beckoned Ulric over with a gesture of his head. 'I haven't been able to take the time for it, so let me ask you while I can now. How are things for you and your party? Seems to me you're settling in nicely into your jobs.'

Ulric nodded and looked out over sea. 'We're becoming more acquainted with the island and the people.'

Oglevie chuckled. 'Especially at the taverns, I heard. People who like to play games. With high stakes.'

Ulric shrugged. 'Everyone needs a hobby. And if it nets me a little extra it's nice.'

Oglevie nodded. 'Like how you receive a little extra from certain businesses that benefit from a quick response?'

'Some people really appreciate what we do for them, and one has to choose priorities when there's trouble everywhere all the time.' Ulric turned and smiled a little as he looked at his girls. 'A woman has to be maintained. Several women makes a need to take profitable opportunities when they arise. Or create them.'

'So, you wouldn't say no to an opportunity to rise in rank and pay?'

'I could pretend to hesitate if that looks better.'

Oglevie laughed once, and leaned back against the taffrail. 'How would you feel about a change in command due to unfortunate circumstances?'

***

'Lights ahead!' called out the sailor from the crow's nest early in the next night.

Sharktail peered through her spy glass at the lights at the horizon for a while. 'As many ships as expected.' she said and turned to Oglevie. 'Neither of us has weather advantage, so he'll likely turn leeward like us to make the line. Fall back and head to the front of the line.'

'Yes ma'am.' he said, and shouted orders as he went to the wheel while the sailors went about and climbed the rigging.

***

Captain Argos entered the officer's common room of the commodore's flagship briskly. 'Enemy sighted ahead of us, commodore!'

Renhard looked up from his abundant meal. 'Who?'

'Looks like the whole pirate fleet left Red Cove.'

Renhard smacked his pork leg on his plate. 'What!?'

Tarrence leaned back in his chair, peeling an orange. 'Someone has informed them of our plans.'

Renhard glared at him. 'I'll find that scum and hang him from the mast!'

The canine demon dropped the single piece peel on his plate. 'Doesn't matter now.'

'What do you mean, doesn't matter? The plan was to bombard Red Cove.'

'Yes, but we might as well take them on here.'

'Those reinforcements you talked about better show up soon. We don't have a great advantage over that bitch's fleet, even when we have more ships.'

Tarrence grinned. 'Don't worry, the detour we made was not for sightseeing.'

Argos hummed in doubt. 'I don't see anyone coming soon while the horizon is empty.'

Tarrence ate a part. 'There's more than the horizon, captain. I wouldn't be here myself if I had any doubts.'

Argos shook his head as he left the cabin.

***

Ulric thought you had to be a psycho to be a pirate, seeing how the crew was excited about the looming fight. The opposing navy formed a neat line as they approached and consisted of about a quarter more ships than Sharktail's fleet, yet she didn't worry about it. The Citadel seemed to be a large advantage in her eyes.

Sharktail turned to the man behind her. 'Give the signal to turn at firing range and commence the attack.'

The man relayed the signal with his two flags to a fast sloop sailing farther behind, where another sailor relayed it to the other support sloops and the ships in front.

The two lines closed, and orders were shouted on both sides at the same time. Every ship turned hard leewards.

Cannons thundered. Wood cracked and splintered under the devastating forces of hot iron. Sailors screamed as they were hit by the showers of splintered wood, and the ships were covered in the fog of gun smoke in mere moments.

Ulric gripped the rail tight, his heart racing at the explosive spectacle from each broadside. 'Fuck!' He needed to suppress a real fear for his life and that of the girls, doubting if he could survive a hit, armoured scales or not.

'To their front!' shouted Sharktail, and Oglevie shouted orders.

The Citadel unfurled all sails and set course to the front of the line. The first and second pirate ship fell back, and the sailing fortress passed in front of their bows, closing in fast towards the first ship of the enemy's line.

'Fire!' shouted Sharktail.

Renhard and Argos nearly had a stroke when the large ship appeared from behind the pirate ships and opened fire from the rows of cannons at the stern.

The sails were drawn on the Citadel and it slowed down while the barrage continued from broadside and aft, blasting the bow and side of the first ship, tearing it to pieces within moments.

Renhard turned in anger to Tarrence. 'Where are your reinforcements!?'

Tarrence gave Gigacks a nod, and the lich took two large mana stones from his pockets. 'Here they come.'

56 - Terror From The Deep

The pirates on the Citadel and the ships close by cheered at the barrage shredding the bows and sinking the first couple of ships of the commodore's flotilla, when fierce bubbling appeared around the pirate's line. Some of the men and women who noticed it, stared in disbelief when broken masts and torn sails rose from the dark waves.

The shouting among crews on both sides began when the deteriorated ships rose in full view, out from their watery graves they were sent to during battles in years past, their hulls cracked and punctured from volleys of cannonballs, broken rigging swaying around while the remains of sails fluttered in the wind. Rusty and dirt covered lanterns shone a ghostly light on the decks and revealed the crew manning the undead vessels, the half decayed or half eaten corpses of many kinds of demons, some bloated, some barely covered in the slimy rags that used to be their clothes, but all with the same intense hate in their eyes as was the strength of their putrid stench.

SciFurz
SciFurz
2,066 Followers