A Monster Life Ch. 79-81

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The robed figures spoke of the effects of certain plant extracts when they passed the niche. The woman stopped on the first step and looked back. The man followed her gaze. 'Forgot something?'

She looked down the length of the hallway and listened more closely to the occasional wail and moan from the inhabitants, then continued up the stairs. 'No, it was nothing.'

Valdys smiled up at the camouflaged Ulric and kissed him. 'Smart thinking, my love.'

'I'm just glad the smell and sounds down here camouflage ours.' he said and peeked out from the niche. 'Now, what do we do about those trolls?'

Valdys pulled a vial from a pocket. 'Kaui gave me a few items that might come in handy. Let's use this.'

Ulric sneaked slowly on all fours along the side of the passage towards the trolls to keep his camouflage up, and observed them from behind a couple of large sacks leaning against the wall. The trolls kept themselves busy playing cards and sipping their drinks, and Ulric looked around for something to distract them with. A bent and rusty spoon at the base of one sack was what he was looking for, and a well aimed throw landed it with enough clatter at the other end of the passage.

The startled trolls let out grunts and looked into the passage. 'That woman throwing stuff around again?' said one.

The other shrugged. 'So what?'

'Want to have another earful from the doctor when she finds out that woman made a mess of her cell again and we didn't restrain her?'

The troll remembered and was in no mood for a tongue lashing. 'Fine. Let's check on her.'

They entered the passage while Ulric sneaked to their table, and poured the sleeping potion into their drinks before returning to his hiding place behind the sacks.

The trolls returned after finding the inmate asleep, and returned to their game. Ulric was happy to see the potion was strong enough to put them to sleep soon, and made a mental note to personally thank Kaui later. 'They're asleep, Val.'

She hurried to the table with him and retrieved the keyring to the cells. 'We'll have to check each cell and hope we find our man fast.'

Ulric opened the eyehole at the nearest door and growled at the sight of a naked orc chained with his wrists to the wall above his head, and the tubes inserted into his gut connected to an apparatus with copper kettles. 'Just what are they doing here?'

Valdys averted her eyes from a woman lying on her back on a table, with a row of long needles stuck into her thighs and abdomen and linked with wires to mana stones. 'Experiments of a kind. And not very proper ones, it seems.'

The next doors revealed more similar situations with different species linked to equipment and parts of their bodies encased or submerged into flowing liquids. Ulric closed one eyehole and moved to the next door. 'We need to tell Breann about this.' he said, and looked with some reluctance into the next cell. The sight of a man huddled into a corner wailing softly was almost a relief. 'I might have found him.'

The man shuddered as they opened the door and entered the cell, and muttered frantically. Valdys moved slowly towards him and knelt a little away from him. 'Hey.'

The man kept muttering and wagged back and forth.

'Not very responsive.' said Ulric.

Valdys pulled another vial from her pocket and uncorked it. 'This might help.' A greenish smoke wafted from it, and she blew it gently to the man's face.

He stopped wagging and blinked his eyes slowly after a few breaths of it, then glanced at her and shut his eyes as he held himself tighter. 'You, you came to take me back?'

'Back to where?' asked Valdys.

He glanced at her again. 'Home.' he muttered and glanced once at Ulric. 'To feed me to them.'

Valdys looked back at Ulric, then again at the man. 'You are the one who escaped from the vampires, aren't you?'

The man gazed at her. 'Aren't you with them?'

'A friend told us about you. You might help us and in turn maybe we can help your people.'

He shook his head. 'No one can help us.'

'You won't know for sure unless you help us try.'

He clutched his knees to his chest. 'They will come for us in the night. For all of us.'

'What do you mean?'

'I heard them. They were speaking of the plans of war. They will all come for us and slaughter us or enslave all.'

'How?'

'The demon lord will come! They have the means to summon him when they gather with the other demons! They have one of the stones!'

Valdys looked at Ulric again and he gave her a frown. 'The artefact.' he said.

Valdys laid a hand on the man's shoulder carefully. 'We know about the stones.'

He looked at her with fear in his eyes. 'You are one of them.'

She shook her head. 'No. We are trying to take all stones from them and prevent them from summoning the demon lord.'

He looked doubtful at her.

She pulled a stone from her pocket and showed it to him, and he gasped and pressed himself back into the corner. 'You've seen it?'

He nodded quickly.

'I can't prove to you who we are, and can only ask you to trust us.'

'Can you save everyone?'

She sighed a little. 'Honestly, likely not everyone. Or maybe not even soon. Hopefully many in the end. We can at least free you from this place.'

He gazed at her for a moment, and gave her a nod. 'You mince no words. I think I will trust you.'

She gave him a relieved smile. 'Thank you. We'll leave right away.'

'No. I cannot go.'

Valdys and Ulric looked at him in surprise. 'Why not?'

'I feel what you've done to me fading. I know I can't survive out there.' He looked at Valdys and at Ulric. 'I'd rather not live on like this. I want the insanity and thoughts to end.'

Ulric squatted in front of him. 'We understand.'

Valdys took the man's hand. 'I can free your spirit if you really want to let it go.'

He gave her a gentle smile. 'Find the stream springing forth from the mountains towards the sunrise. I only fell into it by accident and was dragged along with it, but I think you can follow it upstream and enter the country at the other side. Ask for Celesta at the vampire lord's burg and tell her Perat sent you.'

Valdys gave him a nod. 'We'll search for the way and see what we can do.'

He closed his eyes. 'Thank you.' he said with relief in his voice. 'I'm ready to go.'

Valdys closed her eyes as she touched his forehead with two fingers, and a moment later the man sagged, and his hand slipped out of hers. Ulric laid him carefully on the floor and she sighed. 'He's at peace now.'

Ulric took her hand and squeezed it gently. 'He left this world feeling better.'

She gave him a nod and a quick smile. 'We should go.'

Ulric stopped at the sleeping trolls at the table as they left, and looked back at the cells. 'I wish we could do something for the other poor souls.'

Valdys laid her hand on his arm. 'Not here and now without alerting the staff. We can only ask Breann if there's something she can do to save them and bring those responsible to justice.'

'I don't like it, but you're right.' Ulric said, and both left with a heavy heart.

When they arrived at the fence, Breann was glad to see them again. 'Did you succeed?'

'Yes.' said Valdys. 'And we have a few unpleasant things to tell you about what's going on in there.'

***

Breann looked later that evening over the party as they finished strapping their packs and bags onto their remarkable golem mounts. She hoped even more for them to return and a chance time to study the party and their abilities. 'Do you have everything?'

Valdys pat on the pack strapped to her capri. 'We're good. Thanks again for giving me a copy of your books.'

'No problem. It was interesting to learn one can copy a book with spirit magic. I'll have to practice it and see if I can do the same.'

'It's a special ability, so I hope you'll find a way.'

Ulric mounted Harry. 'Everyone ready?'

The others affirmed and with a final goodbye to their new friend, they drove off in the permanent grey light of the planetary ring and the partial ones of the moons. Breann watched them until they faded into the shadows, and went back inside, pondering how to deal with the asylum and the reprehensible acts by the staff.

The road ahead was pretty clear and the speed at which the party drove was faster than he would have driven himself, but Ulric trusted Isazea's skill and how well the capri could see in the dark through their black eyes. He looked back at Rachael and Handil, who shared a capri when Kaui shared hers with Isazea so the slower joks could be left in Breann's care. 'How're you two doing?'

Rachael held on to the handles, barely keeping her confidence, while Handil embraced her a little tighter than she otherwise would have when she sat behind her. 'I felt less insecure when I rode a cow for the first time as a kid.'

Ulric chuckled. 'I can imagine, but I think you'll become comfortable with the capri soon.' he said, and pat Harry where the fuel tank would be on a real motorcycle. 'They won't let you fall off if it's up to them.'

Rachael had sensed her mount reacting to her and Handil's shifting weight, and she forced herself to relax more. Immediately it seemed as if the capri relaxed along with her and the ride became a little smoother. 'I'll have to take a thorough testing ride with it when we have a chance.'

'You'll have to teach me after that, honey.' said Handil. 'I'm more comfortable on slow animals.'

***

The party drove along the route suggested by Breann through the wilderness to avoid being seen by people. Rachael used her time during the briefs rests to keep up her staff combat training, and Ulric watched her for a moment. She ended her routine and retracted her staff, and raised an eyebrow at him. 'Interested?'

'Mind if I look at your staff?'

She stepped up to him and held it up. 'You won't be able to break it.'

He chuckled. 'I have a suspicion you are correct.' he said, turned it over in his paw., and pointed at the marking of two parallel lines in the middle. 'I thought I saw this earlier.'

She looked at them. 'It's not damage. They've always been there ever since my master, who gave it to me, owned it.'

He nodded and handed the weapon back. 'Iphi, Elz, and Conchi have the same markings on their weapons, as does Tipper's spade. They're made by Volundrus, a legendary dwarf blacksmith. You have a special weapon.'

Rachael gazed at her staff. 'I know it's unique because I haven't seen any like this one. No staff ever survived if I went all out.'

'You have a special ability?'

She nodded. 'Don't laugh. It's berserker.'

Ulric tilted his head. 'Why would I laugh about that?'

She looked up at him. 'Because people think Safo can't be strong warriors?'

'Well, in my old world it would seem funny, but I'm not really surprised to see something like that in this world with all its possibilities.'

She chuckled. 'Safo society is a little conservative, so someone like me is a rarity.' She looked at Handil helping Iphigenia and Kaui with cooking. 'As is having a relationship with another species.'

Ulric smiled. 'Who cares as long as you're happy.'

Handil looked up from the cooking pot and beckoned them to eat. 'Indeed.'

The party arrived at the stream that might be the one Perat had spoken about more than a day later. Ulric followed the upstream direction to the mountain ridge nearby. 'Looks like it's coming from there all right.'

Conchim flew up while looking around for any people that might have been near, and confirm the direction of the stream. 'Yes, it's coming from the mountains. This must be the one.'

After following it upstream, they ended up at the low and wide cave which the flow of water had carved out through the ancient stone since a long time ago. Ulric, Iphigenia, and Valdys checked it out while the others prepared for another brief rest. Ulric shone his flashlight into the smooth natural tunnel. 'The stone banks on either side are flat and wide enough to traverse.' he said, and went farther inside with the girls.

'I doubt it'll stay like this all the way.' said Iphigenia.

'So do I, but with some luck we can still reach the other side without a lot of trouble.'

'I suggest we all venture into this as far as any of us can go.' said Valdys. 'Those of us who can't continue will set up a camp and wait.'

'Yes.' said Ulric. 'I have no doubt it'll be dangerous enough on the other side anyway.'

After the brief rest and meal, the party ventured up the stream and as expected, halted when the shallow stone banks narrowed and the water flowed faster. Ulric stroked Susi's head. 'You'll have to stay here, my girl.' he said, and looked at the others. 'Kaui, Isa, Handil, I think it's best you stay here as well. I expect things to be much rougher farther up the stream.'

Kaui nodded. 'I'd rather go with you, Master, but I think it's for the best as well.'

Isa gave a nod in agreement. 'I don't think I'm in any shape to make that trip either.'

Handil looked at Rachael. 'I don't think I'd be of much use. Be careful and come back.'

Rachael squeezed her arm gently. 'I will. You be careful as well, even if this place seems safe.'

'Does anyone else wish to stay?' asked Ulric.

Tipper puffed up her chest. 'I've faced my share of underground troubles. I'm not backing down so easily.'

Yingshien blew out a puff of smoke. 'Although it's not my element, I'm not letting a little water discourage me.'

Ulric gave them a nod. 'I'm very glad to hear that. Let's pack what we need at a minimum.'

***

As the cave narrowed, the water rushed more violently and the reduced party had to move closer along it. Ulric sensed wet, sticky patches on the wall underneath his paws and feet. 'Surface is becoming slippery.' he said as he rubbed the substance between his finger and thumb. 'Please be careful.'

Larger patches of thin layers of moss slowed down the progress, as well as more bends in the small river's path, and the girls needed to use their hands for grip on the wall almost as much as Yingshien and Ulric walked on all fours. The dragon sneered at the water. 'This is no place for a dignified dragon.'

Tipper chuckled. 'Give a team of dwarf engineers some time, and this place will be turned into something even you would like.'

'Drat.' said Ulric when the flat bank ended at a bend. He shone his light on the other side, which was still accessible. 'We'll have to continue on the other side.'

Valdys brightened her light sphere for a better view and they looked around for a way to cross the fast water. Elzbieta pointed up at short stalactites. 'Those look rough enough to wind a rope around them and build a bridge.'

Iphigenia kicked a nearby short stalagmite. 'I think that could work, yes. These seem sturdy enough.'

She pulled out ropes from her pack and Ulric bit on the ends, and braced himself against the wall for the jump across the river. With a snarl, he jumped and shot to the other side, landing safely but with with a smack against the wall.

'Wolfie! Are you all right?'

He grinned and stretched. 'No harm done to the stone.' he said, and tied his ends of the ropes to the thickest stalactite and stalagmite pair close to him.

Iphigenia and Elzbieta fastened the ropes on their end and tugged hard on them to test their hold. 'They're secure.' said Elzbieta. 'We can go across.'

She went first, moving nearly gracefully along the ropes, and Ulric grabbed her by her waist as he helped her onto the other bank. 'Welcome to the other side of the great water.'

She giggled once. 'Don't be silly, darling.' she said and kissed him.

Valdys and Conchim went next, who demanded a welcome kiss as well, then Tipper followed. She held up her hand when she reached the end. 'I'm not that happy to be here.'

Iphigenia looked at Yingshien's dragon feet with her talon-like toes. 'You won't have a problem holding on?'

The dragoness flexed her toes. 'I'll be fine.' she said, grabbed the top rope and stepped onto the bottom one, and shuffled along the makeshift bridge.

Ulric heard a distant rumbling growing louder and his fur stood straight in instinct. 'Ying! Hurry! Everyone stand back! I think something's coming!'

Yingshien moved faster along the ropes as she was already halfway, but the surge in the water swelled up suddenly. The large wave hit her lower body. She gripped the ropes but cried out when another surge propelled her from the bridge.

'Ying!' shouted Ulric and dove after her into the raging water.

Yingshien tried to steady herself in the turbulent water but her wings dragged her around, and the rock surface underwater gave her no grip as she clawed at it. She hit her chest hard as she tumbled around and coughed up part of the air she held in her lungs. Rage overcame her and she thrust once hard with her wings. Her brief moment to the surface was cut short by a large wave splashing on top of her and her side hitting stone. She cursed the possibility of drowning as her death.

Ulric grabbed her wrist and pulled her with great effort against him. She thought he was crazy, but when he pulled her up out of the water and braced himself on his wings over it, she was lost for words.

'Are you all right?' asked Ulric.

She coughed up water but nodded quickly, then gazed at the wings planted firmly against the sides and keeping them up. 'Just how strong are you?'

'Wolfie! Ying!' shouted Iphigenia as she and Elzbieta hurried towards them.

'Give us a hand.' said Ulric, and he stretched one wing to move far enough to the side for Iphigenia and Elzbieta to take Yingshien's hand, and pull her quickly onto the bank. With a bit of swinging, Ulric pushed himself away from one side, and landed on the same bank while retracting his wings.

Elzbieta looked over Yingshien. 'Are you all right? Not hurt?'

Yingshien stroked the sore areas of her body. 'Nothing seems to be broken, but I will feel some bruises for a while.'

'We have several healing items with us made by Kaui. You'll be healed in no time with those.'

Yingshien nodded, then looked at Ulric. 'Thank you. I think you saved my life.'

He gave her a quick smile. 'No problem. I'm just glad you're safe.' he said. 'Let's join up with the others and reach the end of this tunnel quickly.'

***

The whole party was relieved when the rest of the trek went without a hitch and light marked the end of the tunnel. They watched the dreary sky filled with clouds of various dark shades of grey hanging dead in the air, while rain drizzled down on a landscape of mostly pine forest, while thunder rolled in the distance.

81 - Enter the Burg

'So, where are we going to find that vampire burg?' asked Tipper.

Ulric looked at Iphigenia. She shrugged. 'I never had to deal with vampires before, Wolfie, so I have no experience with them or their habits.' she said and looked at Elzbieta. 'You?'

She thought for a moment. 'There are some very old tales about us elves fighting a few of them, but they don't tell us anything much.'

The other girls said the same and Ulric looked at Valdys. 'Anything in the library?'

'Nothing more than what Breann told us.' she said. 'They must have been a closed off society for a very long time.'

'Vampires in my old world were depicted as creatures who sleep during the day because they turn to ash in the sun, while garlic repels them and a wooden stake through the heart kills them, and they can transform into a bat or sometimes even into smoke. Same here?'

Valdys chuckled. 'Well, they don't turn to ash in the sun, but they are very sensitive to its light. I haven't heard of garlic repelling them, but a stake through the heart will kill them permanently like anyone else. They regenerate fast, so you'd have to cause severe trauma for it to be lethal. Many do possess specific magical abilities and often are able to transform into other creatures, so bats is just as likely. I have no other specific traits listed in the library.'