A New Beginning Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Incestgod
Incestgod
836 Followers

"Oh my god... What are you going to do?"

"I guess I'll open up one of those bank accounts. Then start making good on my promises. I owe a lot of money."

I remembered something, Callie had told me of a gun collection up in the attic. I got up and went upstairs to our bedroom and started looking the ceiling over. I found it in the closet. There was an opening in the ceiling behind a false wall with a ladder built onto the wall. I moved the clothes hanging and pulled the door open. Climbing the ladder, I thought how clever that was to hide the entrance like this. The only way I'd found it was because of the faint scuffs on the floor where the falsa wall was opened.

I climbed up the ladder and stood there, letting my eyes acclimate to the dark. The air was musty and somewhat stale. Smelling of gun oil, old paper, and time itself. I saw a pair of lanterns hanging. I stepped over and shook them, hearing the sloshing sound of the coal oil. Taking out my match safe, I lit the lanterns.

I was shocked at what I found. I never knew so many guns existed. Why, there must be atleast 75 or more in there. Many I'd never even seen before. My eyes settled on a couple that I knew well. Thompson submachine guns.Two of them.

I knew about them because a log crew boss I worked for owned one and he'd let me fire it. A lot. The thing fascinated me.

Lined up along the wall were machine guns I heard about. They'd been used in the war and I'd listen to stories told about them.

Browning M1917, Lewis M1917, Marlin Rockwell M1918, and a couple of M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle's.

There were sundry other rifles, shotguns and pistols. I picked up a pairof Browning M1911's and a wooden box of magazines for them, followed by one of the Thompsons, a BAR, and a Winchester 1897 Trench shotgun, with magazines and ammo for the machine guns.

I took them over to the hatchway. There was a heavy oak box hooked to thick rope strung through pullies. I let everything down to the floor, climbing the ladder each time.

I went downstairs and got the satchel and came back up. That's when I spotted the envelope on a table with my name printed on it in big letters.

I opened it up and read it.

'Jacob, by now I'm gone and if you found this, then all is going well. These guns were bought from various veterans that brought them back from over yonder. You'll find bills of sale in the safe. It's down under the stairs behind a false wall like the entrance to up here. The combination is on the little piece of paper accompanying this letter. I wish I could have lived longer, but I suspect I have left my legacy in as good a hands as possible. If I'd have stayed and died at home, the government would have just wound up taking it away from Callie in the end. So, farewell, my young friend. May you outlive Methuselah and be richer than all the kings on Earth'

I stood there a long moment thinking back. It will surprise you when you realize just how little you really know people.

I found the paper that had fell out when I extracted the letter. Dropped the satchel down, blew out the lanterns, then climbed down and replaced everything as it should be.

I put the guns in the corner of the closet, then picked up the satchel and went downstairs to the closet up the stairs. I slid the false wall out of the way and revealed a large safe. I took out the combination and after a couple of tries, finally got it opened.

Inside was some gold coins stacked neatly. I counted a hundred of them. Twenty dollar Double Eagles. I gathered them up and put them in a canvas bag I found laying on the table. I figured they belonged to Callie. I'd see what she wanted me to do with them later. I stuck them in my satchel.

Next, I located the bills of sale.There were a few other odds and ends in there. I'd go through it all later. I too the bag of coins out and stuck the satchel in and shut everything back up.

Now what?

I went back to the camp and found JT. He was eating a can of peaches and looked up at me,

"You ready to go?"

"Go where?"

"To give Maggie her money."

"Oh, i thought you'd already done that."

"Nope, been waiting on you."

He ate the last peach slice and slurped down the juice, tossed the can in the trash. Then headed out. We got in his truck and I stuck the coins in her satchel. He just looked but didn't say anything.

We got to the store and found the women dusting and sweeping.

I sat Maggies satchel on the table and took the coins out as she and Callie came over and kissed and hugged me and shook JT's hand.

We sat down and Maggie nodded at the satchel.

"You moving in?"

"Nope, this is for you." As I slid it over to her.

She unbuckled it and looked inside. Her eyes got big as she simply stared at it.

"Ok, what the fuck is this?"

"Money." I answered.

"Well, I can see that. What's it for?"

"It's our first royalty payment."

"You mean, there's more coming?"

"Yep."

JT chuckled.

"Plenty more as long as we keep pumping oil out of the ground."

"My god... How much is in there?"

"$250,000."

"Shit. What do I do with it?"

"It's yours. Do whatever you want yo do with it."

"But, it's too much. I only invested $10,000. I never expected this sort of return."

I looked at JT.

"Typical woman, ain't never happy nor satisfied."

He laughed and Maggie narrowed her eyes and smacked me. Callie just huffed and chuckled.

I slid the bag of coins over to Callie.

"I found those in Hank's safe."

"What safe?" She asked as she opened the bag and dumped the gold out.

"In the closet under the stairs."

"I didn't know there was a safe there."

"I don't know about that. I found a note upstairs with a combination and I found some papers and those in it. I figured they belonged to you. I left the papers in it if they're of any interest to you."

"Honey, I have no idea. I'll look them over when I get get back out there."

Maggie studied the satchel a while. Then sighed. She opened it up, took out $50,000, then slid the satchel back over to me.

"I'm buying this store and house. That should cover it."

"No, that's too much."

"I'll decide what's too much. I watched you risk it all and sign your life away to get us where we are. You said much more is coming. I figure you earned this. Pay it toward the land. I'll keep the rest of the royalties in the future."

"Ok then. Speaking of which, put the word out. I'm need everybody that signed an agreement to come out to the house for the first payment."

A couple of customers came in. We got up up, Callie put the coins and cash in her sack and took them behind the counter.

I went over and got a can of peaches off the shelf. JT had got me craving them earlier. I put a dollar on the counter and we left.

JT looked at me. "Where to now?"

"When's payday?"

"Today, why?"

"Ok, I'm ready to open the place up over there. Everybody's ready. Let's head over there."

We drove over and everything was sitting there, ready to go. There had been a wagon load of booze and beer delivered. They were putting the finishing touches on the duplex for the nanny. I thought a moment. What we need is music. We had a stage along the back wall, a wooden dance floor already sprinkled with sawdust.

"Let's go over to Terrance Hagerman's place. It's about two miles from here. Him and his brothers have a band of sorts. Guitar, fiddle, bass, all that."

"Ok, show me the way."

We rolled up to his old house and we got out. A trio of big bluetick coon hounds came out bawling at us. Terrance came around the corner of the house and saw us.

"Welk, I'll be damned! How's tricks, Flannery?"

"Oh, same old shit, you know how it is."

"Don't I ever. So, what brings you around?"

"You and your brothers still playing?"

"Yeah, whenever the opportunity arises. Why? You got something for us?"

"Sure do. Over at the old home place. I opened it up into a bar and brothell."

"You don't say? Well, yeah, let me round them up and we'll get over there and set up."

"Just figure out how much you want for pay."

"Aw, just whatever. I know you'll never short change a man. Not that I can say the same for your ol' pa. He run off owing a bill."

I shook my head in shame. "How much?"

"Ten dollars. For a bait of corn i bought to feed with. Paid him for it and that was that."

I reached in my pocket and peeled off a twenty and handed it to him.

"That cover it?"

"Why, Flannery, I ain't got no change."

"Don't worry about it. Consider it payment for your troubles. You ever get any corn?"

"Yeah, but it's gone now. I'll make out, though. Thanks!"

"Anyway, head on over and set up. I'll have a houseful tonight."

We left and I told JT,

"Head back over to the bar."

We pulled in and I hunted up the Scruggin's brothers. I handed them five dollars each.

"I need you to load up a wagon load of corn out of the crib and haul it over to Hagerman's place and unload it."

They just nodded and went to hitch up the wagon.

I stood there thinking. Wondering how many more debts papa run off from.

"Jake, if I've said it once, I've said it a million times, you beat anything I ever saw."

"JT, I believe in two things above all else. Keeping my word and paying my debts. I don't reckon that's gonna change."

We headed back to the camp. JT hollered out,

"Everybody get out here!"

We waited while the men in camp gathered around.

"Y'all jump in the lake and clean up! We're taking whoever's of a mind to go over to the bar and brothell!"

Cheers and yelling broke out. I stepped up.

"I expect you to conduct yourselves like cilivilized folks. There's women for hire. That does not include the Scruggin's girls. They are strictly off limits. Their brothers are bouncers. They are about the meanest pair of men I've ever met. Their pa is a mite meaner and less tolerant. They will kill you over them girls. Now, the other women will be treated with respect. Any violation of that policy will not be tolerated. Any questions?"

Nobody spoke up.

"Ok, let's get ready to party!"

I went to the house.Today has just brought more than I was prepared to deal with and I needed a break.

Elsie was sitting at the table when I walked in. She looked up at me with tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong, honey, why are you crying?"

"I'm afraid I'm about to lose you. You're never home anymore. You have all these other women around. Look at me? I'm all swollen up and pregnant. Now you've got all this money."

I sat down beside her and leaned over and hugged her.

"Listen, baby, I'm not going anywhere. Of course I'm out and about. I have work to do. I'm a partner with debt and responsibility. We've got a family depending on me to provide. The other women? They ain't you."

She looked up at me.

"But you fuck these other women. I swear, you're hornier than a two peckered billy goat."

"Well, I am that. I never lied to you about it none. But, I always come home to you and the kids. Have I failed to provide? Have i ever put anybody ahead of you and the young'uns?"

"No, you haven't. I'm just afraid you will, is all."

"You forget that notion. I'm here for the long haul. I've got urges, but family and business come first. Now, go wash our face and let's sit out on the porch and rnjoy an evening."

"Ok. Are you hungry? I already fed the kids."

"I could eat I reckon."

"I'll fix you something. What are you hungry for?"

"I kinda got my mind set on flap jacks, sausage, maybe some eggs."

"I can do that. Go wash up."

After we ate, we sat on the porch and watched the kids run and play. Listening to the night. The camp was quiet with all the men enjoying a hard earned night out. Soon, they would establish a pattern and would be able to enjoy nightly forays over there to enjoy cold beer and female companionship.

Out on the lake, a big bull frog started croaking. Night birds and bats were flying around. The tree frogs and insects were singing their cadence as old as time itself.

I heard horses winny amid the rattle of a wagon and turned to look, I could see a wagon turning in. The silhouette of a lone driver was visible. The wagon pulled up to the front of the house with the dogs bawling at it. The friver set the brake and got down. Female I could see. Whe she turned, I saw it was Molly Hudson.

She came up on the porch. I stood up,

"Mrs Hudson, why are you out driving in the dark?"

"Jacob, I've left my husband. I just simply can't stay there any longer. He's ruining us with his ridiculous and fanciful notions. I'm here to ask for a job. I need a place to go."

"Well, come sit down. I'll see to your horse and wagon."

I stepped down and led the horse down to the barn, unhitched it and gave it a good brushing and rub down. I put it in a stall and poured out a double measure of corn, then climed up and forked down a copious amount of bedding straw and put an armful of good hay in the manger for him to eat. I grabbed the buckets and went to the well, filled them up and poured them in his trough. Then I went to the wagon and hung up the harness neatly on the hooks on the wall.

I noticed a couple of suitcases, so I took them down and went back to the house. The women had went inside, so I stepped in and put the cases against the wall. It was then I noticed Molly's face. It was bruised and one of her eyes was swollen.

"What happened, Mrs Hudson?"

"My husband is what happened. He started drinking. He never could hold his liquor well. Then he started talking about his plans to invest in some gold mines down in Mexico somewhere. I thought he was making a joke, so I laughed. He got this look on his face I'd never seen before. Started yelling at me about laughing at his plans. First one thing then another and he slammed me against the wall and hit me. I got loose and ran off. I stayed away for a bit while he calmed down. Then I went back in. He was trying to make light of it. Sorry and all that. Jacob, I watched my mama take beatings like that. I won't stand for it. So, I packed, hitched up and came here. I don't know what else to do. I don't want to be a burden. I'll pull my weight and then some, but I need somewhere to go."

I looked at Elsie. She nodded her head.

"Well, I won't put you out. You can stay here and help Elsie out around the house. We'll have to set up some accommodations. We only have three bedrooms, ours, mama's and the kids. But we'll figure it out."

"Oh, I can set up a cot in the barn. I'll make do."

Elsie spoke up then.

"In the barn? No, I won't have that. You can sleep in our room, if you'd like."

Molly looked at her a long moment, then at me. Unsure of how to respond.

Elsie looked at me,

"Honey, would you please go look after the children. Mrs Hudson and I have some things to discuss."

I got up and went outside.

Tommy came and sat down. Sophie climed up on my lap. I wiped at a smudge of dirt on her little cheek.

She looked up at me,

"Tell us a story!"

Tommy seconded that motion,

"Yeah, tell us a story!"

I though a moment.

"Ok, I'll tell you about that time I saw something really strange out in the bottoms one evening. When I saw this contraption come down in the hay field. It looked something like a pie tin or other. It was all shining and lit up. I sat down out there and these folks came out of it. Little folks. Not much bigger than you two...

I finished the story and we sat there silent for a bit.

Tommy asked,

"So who were they? Where did they come from?"

"Well, I don't know. The just worked around a bit, gathering stuff up and putting it in what looked like little jars. I must have moved or something because one of yhem saw me. He went to his buddies and started pointing at me. I called out, trying to talk to them, but they just went back up in their contraption and it just lit up and took off."

The door opened. Elsie stuck her head out,

"Y'all come in. Kids, get ready for bed."

I sat down at the table.

"Well, honey, me and Mrs Hudson discussed it. She'll sleep in our bed with us. After what you and she has told me, apparently there's a mutual attraction there. I can use the help."

I looked at Molly,

"Are you sure you want to do this? It's not required, you know."

She studied me a bit before answering.

"Do you remember that time you brought that load of hay over? When I was cooling off at the pump? It was what? Four or five years sgo now?"

I nodded.

"i knew you were watching me. I don't know why, but I enjoyed you looking at me. I've fantasized about that day ever since. I think my husband knew about it, too. He never liked you. I think it's because you were so mature and responsible for your age, even then. It just pissed him off knowing someone so young in years would have made a better husband than him."

I nodded again.

"Well, I was always big and strong for my years. I went to work young and had to work twice as hard and twice as long as everybody else just to prove myself. I mean, how old does a person have to be to be accepted as a grownup? Back then, I was about 13 I believe. But I rolled myself out of bed every morning and walked to work. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. I never missed a day. I worked right beside men two, three times my age and I kept up. When a neighbor had need, I tried to be there.I treated folks like I wanted to be treated. I always kept my word. Now the way I see it, you've got half the price of the land I bought from y'all coming. It's more than enough to set you up nice somewhere."

"You know, I never thought about that. Ok, I'll take my half. But, I still want you between my legs. Although I'm not sure why, your woman offered to share you with me. I'm taking her up on that before she changes her mind about it. I'll ask you this, though. If it works out that me staying here turns out to be a good thing, will you let me stay?"

"Yep, as long as you need. I just won't get involved in the business between you and your husband. I won't let him come here beating on you, but the rest of it is between y'all."

"I plan on divorcing him. I won't put up with that shit. I'm not sure how to get a divorce, though."

"Where'd y'all get the license at?"

"We never got one. We just had the preacher speak over us."

"Then according to the law, y'all ain't married."

I left her there to consider that and i got in my truck and headed out to the old place. When i pulled up, I saw the nanny watching the kids play. A couple of the women were sitting under a big pecan tree, lounging. I went in the bar and found Mary Beth chipping ice to ice down beer with. She was filling pint Mason jars with her pa's homebrew and stcking them in a wooden trough then covering them with ice.

She saw me coming and dried her hands, smiling.

"Well, hey there, Jacob. You here to get your money?"

"How much is there?"

"$362 dollars."

"For one night? Damn."

"Yep, they kept drinking and screwing, I just kept taking their money."

I took the sack and glanced in it.

"You figured the pay for everybody and your pa's cut?"

"I already did. That's what's left."

I just shook my head. This was crazy.

"Thanks, honey."

She just smiled and got back to work.

I took the cash back home and sat it on the table. The women weren't around. I looked at the sack. That had to be a freak. There's no way that place turned that kinda profit every week.

I put the sack in the safe and walked down to the camp.

I saw a group of men standing around talking. I walked over.

"How's everything, y'all."

"Oh, just waiting on our shift to start. JT and Joe have us drilling 24/7 now. He brought in some generators and strung up lights."

"Did y'all make it over to the bar the other night?"

"Did we ever! I'll tell you, that place has it all."

He looked at me closer.

"Hey, ain't you the one set that up for us?"

Incestgod
Incestgod
836 Followers