A Nightmare Reborn Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bluefox07
bluefox07
474 Followers

He supposed that was the only similarity between him and them: obsession.

Like his father, Matthew Loomis knew all about obsession, just as he knew that if he were to seriously tell Lori to move on, he should be prepared to take his own advice. His career choice hadn't been random, and when his father had died, he made the decision to succeed where he had failed. The legacy of Sam Loomis would not die in that godforsaken asylum with his body. He was determined to complete what his father had set out to do. After he had attained his PhD in criminal psychology, he used his practice as a platform to begin the study what he and a few others had termed "super-killers."

Loomis had decided very early on if he were going to catch and kill Myers, he would have to broaden his scope. He would have to understand how he thought, what his reasoning was and what ultimately gave him his legendary resilience. His father had never delved into this, and he feared it was a lack of knowledge that killed him in the end. It was clear that Myers wasn't a normal person, and because of that the normal rules didn't apply. He had some kind of an edge that transformed him into an unstoppable juggernaut that always managed to cheat and elude death somehow.

It was all beyond rational explanation, so Loomis started thinking beyond Myers himself. As it would turn out, Myers wasn't the only super-killer out there with more lives than a cat.

In his research, he had come across names like Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger and other more obscure cases. He had read of a bizarre case in Florida in which local officials found over three hundred bodies in an abandoned church basement after a fire. They had all been sewn together and somehow preserved, displayed all over the walls and ceiling. No one knew who did it really, but there were a lot of strange reports about a man in a trench coat, who had wings no less, driving an old truck and hunting down his victims.

Loomis was surprised to find that even the local police had confirmed claims of a man with wings who kidnapped a young boy from their precinct station. Several days after the incident at the police station, 'a man with wings' who seemed to enjoy eating his victims, or at least the parts he liked, attacked a busload of college freshman basketball players on Route 9.

It was fantastic and wholly unbelievable. And yet, so many people had given the same story about this winged man. So many people had seen the same thing. How could that many people share a delusion so specific and bizarre? Why would the police lie and feed into a mass hysteria? The logical conclusion was that there wasn't a mass delusion. It really happened.

The stranger the truth, the less apt people will be to believe.

He thought of Lori and her story about fighting Freddy Krueger. He had told her it could be a mass delusion, but in his heart he knew better. Loomis comforted himself over the lie by telling himself that he was thinking of Lori's sake, Lori's future. He knew deep down that Freddy Krueger was as real today as he was in his heyday of murder. Loomis knew the truth, but had hoped to spare Lori from it.

He supposed covering the truth to protect Lori was a fine idea, but in the end it couldn't succeed. How could it?

As with Krueger himself, the whole disaster in Florida was covered up, and only Loomis's reputation and clout as a psychiatrist had allowed him access to the files. This case, like so many others regarding super-killers was labeled "unsolved" and quickly buried. The authorities decided that everything about the entire ordeal was just too fantastic. They relied too heavily on rational explanations in an irrational world.

And yet, it was no more fantastic than, say, a long dead serial killer who hunts children in their dreams. No more fantastic than a hockey-masked killer that stalked the shores of a lake in Middle America for over twenty years, apparently invulnerable and killing anyone who violated the sanctity of his grounds? Or a knife-wielding psycho in a Halloween mask whose only purpose in life it seems is to hunt down every living relative of his family? All of them impervious to death...

Loomis couldn't believe how people could so blatantly hide the truth about these sorts of things. If it couldn't be explained in ten minutes on the evening news, then they didn't want any part of it. If it made them look bad on television or challenged their beliefs, it simply didn't exist. In almost every case he had looked at, people had turned their backs to the horrific events unfolding around them.

The most appalling example of this sort of mentality was the hushed series of murders in Derry, Maine. Every thirty years counting backwards from 1985 there had been gruesome outbreaks of disappearances and murders in the small city. The last one that Loomis had read about was an outbreak of murders and disappearances in 1985 (the spree of madness ending with a storm that dropped a better portion of the downtown area into a large sinkhole). Most of the victims (children more often than not) this killer claimed were never found. And when they were, they were mutilated and sometimes much, much worse. This series of events was so secret, he actually had to call the local police department and request the case files with the backing of governmental influences.

And yet, the Derry Murders never made national headlines.

And then there were examples of super-killers being turned into urban legends and almost mythological figures in the national conscience.

'The Crystal Lake Murderer' Jason Voorhees and his mother were the best example of this, followed by Fred Krueger, "The Springwood Slasher." There was the bizarre case of Norman Bates and his hotel, as well as the Woodsboro Slasher and the Candyman in Chicago. The list of unsolved murders relating to 'super-killers' was staggering, going on and on. Loomis had combed through as many of these cases as he could find, searching for a common link or element that might help identify what made this strange breed tick. He had hoped to shed some light on them, to help recognize them before they lashed out.

In his many years of pursuing the truth, he had only found three common factors that he could safely apply to them all.

They left few survivors and those they did miss, they eventually came back for. They all were without remorse or conscience over their deeds. And no matter what, despite the laws of physics and nature, they always seemed to come back from death. Somehow, they always came back.

Loomis knew that this last fact was what kept most people from being able to handle them. The average person just could not believe that sometimes the evil these killers harbored was more than the flesh could contain. He had told Lori that Freddy Krueger coming back from the dead was fantasy, but he didn't really believe that. With rare exception, a super-killer found no restrictions in death. If anything, dying somehow made them stronger, able to bend and even break the rules of reality. And if the killer did fall, another would rise to take the mantle of his madness.

How many lives could have been saved if those in authority had just opened their eyes to the truth? Perhaps conventional thinking could catch your nastier killers like Dahmer, Bundy and Gacy. But with these super-killers, conventional thinking was what got most people killed.

Loomis thought of poor Lori again, her suffering over knowing what she saw and the fact that so few believed her. Loomis had no doubt that she and Will saw Freddy Krueger that night, just as he knew that Jason Voorhees was probably out there at Crystal Lake somewhere still. He knew that death meant little to these killers. Death held no sway over them, because as his father had once written about Michael Myers, they were "evil, pure evil."

Evil does not answer to the flesh.

Loomis muttered as he opened his file cabinet and thumbed through the folders inside. He finally came to the one he wanted towards the back and pulled it out, opening the folder wide on his desk. The folder was filled to capacity with newspaper clippings, articles, crime scene photos and reports on Michael Myers. He flipped through the pile of documents until he came to a black and white photograph of the killer. Loomis felt a chill run through his spine as he gazed into the lifeless eyes behind the white Halloween mask. It looked so impassive, so cold to everyone and everything. The hair jutting out above the pasty white forehead of the mask was wild and untamed.

"Untamed," Loomis muttered as he stared at the picture. He had a similar picture of Jason Voorhees in his file cabinet as well, along with an equally thick case history. Loomis sat the photo down and rubbed his eyes.

"Heaven won't take you," he told the photo of Michael, "Hell won't have anything to do with you. Where else could you possibly go?"

The phone rang. Loomis let it ring for a minute, something in the back of his mind telling him not to pick the phone up, not to answer. A part of him calmly suggested he ignore the call, pack in his papers for the night and go have a beer.

"Dr. Matthew Loomis speaking," he said into the phone.

"Matt?" came a shaking, feminine voice.

Loomis frowned. "Yes..."

There was silence on the end of the line, but he knew whoever it was hadn't hung up yet. He could hear water in the background, maybe a shower or bathtub filling up.

"Who is this?" he asked.

Another moment of silence, and then the woman spoke again, as though she had been forced to, "It's Mary, I'm sorry. My brain is scattered today."

"Mary," he smiled ruefully, not sure as to why in the world his ex-wife would be calling him, "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Research," she said and paused, "I've found something I think only you could appreciate."

Loomis felt his interest peak despite himself. "Such as?"

"I understand you've been working with one of the Springwood Massacre victims from a few years back?"

Suspicion was tugging at his ear. "Yes, I am. How did you know that?"

Another odd silence. "You mentioned it to me last time John and I were in New York. Last month, don't you remember?"

"Oh yes," Loomis leaned back in his chair, still not sure he remembered telling Mary about Lori. He did, however, remember John. Bitterly, he asked, "How is John, anyway?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't talk long, Matt," she said suddenly, "Can you spare me a few days?"

Now he knew something was up. Mary had always worked solo, even before their marriage had fallen apart. It was Mary's stubborn commitment to solitude that had led to their eventual breakup. And of course, there was that little extra-marital affair she had committed to with John Bilk on the side. Loomis had resigned himself to losing Mary to her work, but when he found out she was not only working with but sleeping with his rival John Bilk, he had been crushed. The end result wasn't remotely amiable, and it had led to a long period of silence between the two. Only their mutual interest in serial super-killers had brought them back together a few years back. And even then, she still preferred her distance.

To be honest, so did he.

"I thought you worked alone," Loomis said, testing the water.

"Matt," she said impatiently, "I need you here. I'm on to something big, and if you want in on it you'd better come to Springwood immediately."

"Springwood?" he repeated, the coincidence of Lori's destination being this same place causing alarms to sound in his head like an aircraft carrier going into battle.

"Yes," she said, and then more kindly, "Please, Matt. I need you here."

"No, Mary," he shook his head.

"Please," she insisted.

"It would be as awkward as the last time I saw you two," he declined, feeling a familiar rush of jealousy and betrayal, "I don't need to see John."

"He isn't here, Matt," she said.

"Strange," he mussed, "You two were always attached at the hip..."

"Please Matt."

Loomis still remembered walking in on them, his wife atop John and riding him like some crazed cowgirl on a bull. She had brought that man into the bed Loomis had always believed would be theirs and had sex. From the sounds of her screams and moans, probably better sex than he had ever been able to give her. The jealousy stung at him again and he sighed.

"What have you found?" he asked.

"Evidence."

Loomis knew she was being deliberately vague, which wasn't like her at all.

"Evidence of what?"

He could hear Mary grinding her teeth. "Evidence that will validate our work and maybe help you in your personal pursuits."

"Our work?" Loomis laughed, "Our worked ended when you fucked that hack, Mary."

"You want in or not?"

Loomis breathed deeply.

The convergence of events here was too pronounced to ignore. Mary's request for his presence in Springwood at the same time as the two-year memorial of the massacre was strange enough. John not being there with her was even more bizarre. But the fact that Lori and Will would be there at the same time made him uneasy. If he had learned anything from his father, it was that if you find yourself with a coincidence; the odds are it isn't a coincidence at all. And there was also Mary's sudden willingness to bring him back into her loop...

If had simply been Mary asking him to go, he would have refused. But Loomis had developed a special liking for Lori, protectiveness if one wanted to put a finer point on it. If something bad was going to happen, as Lori seemed to believe, then perhaps he should be there. He had no doubt John would be there as well, that Mary was lying just to get him out there. He knew that John hated seeing him as much he hated seeing John.

If nothing else, it was a golden opportunity to get under that prick's skin. Loomis smiled and took comfort in the fact that he wasn't above a little needling to those who deserved it. He flipped through his desk calendar for a moment, though he didn't need to look at the days. He already knew his answer, just as he had picked up the phone when it rang earlier, despite his gut instinct to skip the call.

"I can be there by tomorrow afternoon," Loomis said.

"Excellent," she said, a strange combination of happiness and what he thought to be sorrow in her voice.

"What evidence Mary?" he asked again, "What have you found?"

"Matthew," she began wearily.

"Give me something to work with here."

"Freddy Krueger," Mary said flatly, "And Jason Voorhees. You want proof or not?"

Loomis considered calling Lori, and warning her about what he had just been told. 'Coincidence?' he thought dismally, 'I think not...'

"Mary," he asked, "are you feeling well?"

"Never better, Matt. See you tomorrow."

"Of course," Loomis said, "Good evening."

The phone clicked on the other end and the connection was broken.

Loomis sat there for a few minutes, hands flat on his desk and eyes fixed into the space in front of him. The hair on the back of his neck had prickled and risen, anticipating a danger that he wanted to say was probably just in his head. No one could see the future, and nothing was set in stone. Still, with all the amazing things this world was capable of letting happen, he could allow for intuition. He wondered if this was how his father had felt the first time he realized Michael Myers wasn't going to just go trick-or-treating that night he escaped from the hospital back in 1978. No, Loomis imagined this was feeling his father had felt the night he went back into the asylum in 1995 to find Michael.

His intuition told him not to go.

"What have I gotten myself into?" he whispered, looking down at the photo of Michael. He went to his file cabinet and thumbed through the case files. Pulling out the thick rubber band sealed dossier on the Camp Crystal Lake murders, he sat down again. He thumbed through the vast piled of police reports and newspaper clippings until he found what he was looking for. He held the black and white police photo up and away from him.

"Where are you, my friend?" he asked the picture of Jason Voorhees. The darkened eyeholes of the hockey-masked monster stared back at him, even through him to the rainy window beyond. Loomis placed the picture next to the one of Michael and began to see eerie similarities between them. Both of them possessed by lifeless eyes that were cold and calculating like a shark. Both men hiding behind non-descript white masks, perhaps consumed by shame and guilt, compelling them to hide their faces?

The two photos had been taken by crime scene photographers who believed them to be dead at the time, in actuality only the killers waiting for an opportune moment to strike. These were headshots of the undead, and yet even in the stillness of their supposed end, Loomis could see life in their eyes. It was impossible, but there it was. They were life beyond death, surviving and preying on the ignorance of those around them.

"Michael always came back for Halloween," Loomis spoke to Voorhees picture and laughed nervously, "Will you come back for-"

Loomis suddenly stopped, seized by the birth of realization. He fingered through the old police reports quickly, searching for the dates on them. He spent the next five minutes almost frantically shuffling through the folder until he had what he was looking for. The Crystal Lake police department had compiled a list, a hit list if one pleased, of all of Jason's killing sprees. One date, no, one particular day on the list kept screaming for Loomis' attention like a radioactive isotope under a Geiger counter.

"Friday the 13th," Loomis muttered and looked at his desk calendar, "Yesterday was Friday the 13th."

Loomis quickly pulled his super-killer files from the cabinet and placed them in a large storage box. He hastily put on his tan overcoat and sat the heavy box on the desk. His mind raced with horrific possibilities as he gathered himself for the trip, taking as much care as time would allow collecting his work. Mary's voice during their conversation had been more than enough to give him pause. But beyond that, she had asked him to go to a place that was marked with blood. He was heading into a great unknown where super-killers had committed horrendous crimes. He was going to well-treaded ground for two of the most infamous and violent killers ever.

It was both exhilarating and frightening. If his scientific curiosity was chomping at the bit to go, then his common sense was equally opposed to leaving.

He looked down at the picture of Jason Voorhees.

"Right," Loomis picked up the phone, and then sat it down again in it's cradle.

He looked into black eyes of the hockey mask, and in his heart he knew. Mary knew his quest to find Michael Myers better than anyone, and she would never call him into the field lightly. If Mary really had discovered something, then he knew it would help him find his father's killer.

Loomis prayed a silent prayer for Mary and picked up the phone again.

"United Airlines," the pleasant woman on the other end of the line greeted him, "How can I help you?"

"I need a seat on your first available flight to Ohio," Loomis closed his eyes, his heart pounding in his ears like a muffled jackhammer. He had no idea what to expect from the next few days, but he was sure that it wouldn't be good.

Not when you're in a place like Springwood anywhere near a Friday landing on the 13th.

***

Jason Voorhees was motionless, laid out flat on his back in a thick patch of bushes just beyond the gravely south shore of Crystal Lake. Not one of his powerful muscles moved as he watched the night sky. The ambulance that had picked up the woman had been gone for hours now, but he waited for the others that would follow. He had watched the woman surface in the middle of the lake and float over to the shore, looking like she was very much dead.

bluefox07
bluefox07
474 Followers