A Nightmare Unleashed Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I do have a choice," Maggie said and stood up from her chair, "And I left Freddy behind a long time ago, Matthew."

"Maggie, you can't just walk away," Loomis said.

"Oh yes I can," she said, her voice oddly strained, "I can't go back. And you know, I don't think I'd be much use if I did."

"Can't go back or won't?" Loomis asked softly.

"But Dr. Burroughs," Rowan began, "Please. You know him better-"

"Better than anyone?" Maggie looked at them all, "I'm his fucking daughter, okay? Katherine-fucking-Krueger, all right? I know him better than all of you, and that's why I can't go."

She shot Loomis a fierce glare, "I won't go, Matthew."

The frigid edge Lori had sensed in Maggie now became less of mystery. Magdalena Burroughs, the daughter of the son of a hundred maniacs. She was marked. Her life had been stained by the malevolence of her father in a way none of them could ever understand. No wonder Maggie seemed so angry and cold. Lori could feel her fear and anger even from where she sat but she couldn't blame her for wanting to leave. If Lori had the choice, she would have left right then and there too. Hell, she would have paid for a cab to take them both right back to the airport and out of Dark Hollow forever.

But she couldn't.

The ghosts of her past wouldn't let her. More than that, when Alice died the power had come to her and thus Lori became the new Dream Master. If Lori would not stand against Freddy Krueger, then who else would? Loomis and the others would try, but they would fall one by one. Krueger was a creature of evolution, of adaptation and shiftless evil. Only someone equipped with the power to change with him could best him.

"So you catch Jason and Lori is able to subdue Freddy again. Then what?" Maggie asked, her eyes flashing heatedly to her friends, "Just keep trying to find ways of taking him out? Even if you did manage to kill Jason, which I think is highly unlikely, you can't kill Freddy."

"If nothing else we could cryogenically freeze Jason until we can figure something out," Rowan said, "No matter what, we catch him this time and he stays caught."

"How would you keep Freddy from escaping into another body again?" Maggie asked from the doorway, her voice trembling, "What then?"

"Well, to be honest," Rowan shrugged, "I had hoped you and Lori could figure that one out."

"This is fucking insane," Maggie shook her head, "Doc, you coming?"

The large black man shook his head, "I can't, Maggie and you know it."

"You're going to die," she said and pointed at Rowan, "You know that. You'll die right along with them."

"If it means putting a stop to all this bullshit," Doc turned and faced her, "Then I'm willing to take that risk."

Maggie put threw her hands into the air and laughed. She turned and walked out as easily as she had entered the room. She slammed the doors and was gone, leaving them alone. Rowan looked at the doors and sighed. She had hoped all five of them could work together, but especially Maggie and Lori. They were the ones who knew Krueger best. Between their knowledge, her experience with Jason and then the smarts of Loomis and Doc combined there was a stronger chance of success.

"Okay," she said, "Who's in?"

"I'm in," Loomis said flatly, "You needn't ask, Alexis."

Rowan smiled gratefully at her mentor.

"I'm in," Doc said, "All the way."

Rowan looked at Lori and asked, "Can you do this?"

Lori looked at her hands and felt that heaviness on her chest again. After a moment she said, "I lost my husband, my mother, my father and most of my friends to Freddy Krueger. If I don't help, then their deaths won't be worth anything. I won't lie. I wish I could get the righteous fuck out of here and never see any of you again."

Loomis put a hand on her shoulder and Lori put hers over his. She said, "I'm in."

The musical chime of Rowan's cell phone sang out. She reached into her pocket and opened the phone, holding it to her ear. "Hello?"

Doc looked at Loomis and said under his breath, "Let me go talk to Maggie."

"Are you serious?" Rowan said into the phone, "Jesus, we're on our way."

"What is it?" Lori asked.

"Jason," Rowan gathered the photos off the table as they all stood up, "Jason has been spotted fifteen miles north of here in the suburbs of Dark Hollow. He's in a department store raising hell."

"Let's go then," Loomis said.

***

Ash didn't have time to be scientific about his methods.

When the shit hit the fan like this, he rarely did. So when he took one of the Stihl chainsaws from its display case, he first shattered the glass around it with the broken chair leg and then popped the gas cap. He had a half full tank, which was just enough to get the job done. This was one of the 1500 series, a powerful wood eater that could cut through a good eight foot round in a minute-and-a-half all by itself if one were lazy enough.

It would have been easier had he worn his pneumatic hand, the one made from authentic English steel and chain mail. Coupled with the harness he had worked into an extension of his handicap, he had been ready for anything. It was really a work of art in and of itself, but as it was Ash settled on one of the tree climbing harnesses, similar to the one he had scavenged that night at the cabin in the woods. The night he lost his hand.

He slipped it on quickly; making sure the hook on the breast strap was pointed out and up. In a single motion he slipped the plastic grip of the pull cord in the groove of the hook and yanked the saw down as he primed the small but powerful motor with his stump. The chainsaw roared to life and blue smoke billowed from its exhaust.

Ash looked at the spinning chain, it's teeth blurred into a fine thin line of deadly metal. He held it up appraisingly and smiled, "Groovy."

With that, he kicked the wreckage of the lawn display out of his path and rounded the corner to once again face Jason Voorhees. Frightened employees and customers watched with wide eyes and gaping mouths as Ash stood defiantly in front of the giant man. Ash revved the saw and stared into the dull, angry eyes glimmering behind the cutout holes of the bloodstained hockey mask.

"Ash!" came the scared whisper of Renee Alexander. She was hiding behind the counter with Pegg, her beautiful eyes wide and unable to close, "What are you doing?"

"Taking care of business, baby," he eyed Jason.

The killer reached over and grasped his machete by the weathered leather handle. With one mighty pull, the blade was free of the wood and drywall.

"Be careful!"

"Some people are born to use a chainsaw. Others have chainsaws forced upon them," he took a deep breath, bared his teeth and stood ready, "Me? I have one attached to me."

Jason lurched forward.

"All right asshole," he muttered, "Come get some."

Jason brought his machete down hard, meeting the chainsaw in a shower of sparks and hissing pops that filled the store with the acrid smell of metal against metal. Ash could feel the raw power of his opponent's strength behind the push of his blade and with a grunt shoved back even harder. The machete finally cleared the bite of the chainsaw and chipped away part of its white and orange casing as Ash ducked to his right. His arm was already screaming with fatigue as it bore the burden of the fight.

"Jesus!" he growled and brought the saw up fast, catching Jason on the side of his head. Bruised flesh and black blood sprayed into the air as one of the side-straps for the hockey mask caught on the saw. The mask was torn from Jason's face and clattered to the floor. Jason turned and glared at Ash, his deformed and primitive features black with rage.

"Ugh," Ash taunted him and cringed, "Inbred and undead. Talk about a handicap there, chief..."

Jason swung again, narrowly missing Ash's head and instead splitting a nearby support column in two. Ash ducked out of the way and rolled across the debris-covered floor. The chainsaw gnarled and chipped the tile with deep gouges as he recovered, being careful not to let the spinning teeth catch his legs. Jason turned like an enraged animal, his head cocked to one side. Ash was up on his feet again as the machete came down in a blur, this time burying itself into the wall. Ash saw his chance and brought the chainsaw up hard. The spinning chain and bar disappeared into Jason's midsection as blood and gore spattered Ash and the wall behind him.

"You like it?!" Ash screamed through the rain of foul smelling innards, "You like that, big fella?!"

Jason's arms flailed about as the blade dug through his stomach and began mangling his spinal cord. The giant killer convulsed and shook as the 18-inch bar of the chainsaw erupted from his backside in a rain of gore. Ash cried out a triumphant yawl and shoved the killer backwards. Jason fell quickly, his weight heavy and dead as the chainsaw came free of his body in a squelching release. He landed hard on his back, blood oozing from his malformed mouth and legs twitching erratically.

Ash nudged Jason's boots with his own. Blood sputtered up from the killer's open maw, but he did not move beyond the muscle convulsions. He looked down at the hockey mask laying next to Jason and kicked it aside.

"Hockey season's over."

Ash looked around at his fellow employees, his eyes wide and face stained with Jason's nasty ichor blood. White dust from ruined drywall had settled over the fluid and made him look wet and gray in the flickering lights. His lips drew back from his teeth in a bright white smile of both anger and satisfaction. He held the chainsaw out in front of him and choked the engine, letting the machine spin to a rest. The silence that followed was so intense in seemed almost loud.

Ash read each of their faces, all of them looking like they were ready to pass out from nausea, pure fright or both. Pegg was still cowering behind the gun counter as Renee watched him with a mixture of awe and horror. Ted was hunkered down behind one of the new-hire cashier girls, his glasses lopsided on his face and nose swollen purple.

"Now," he announced to the store, "Is there anyone else here who thinks I'm crazy?"

No one replied.

Ash sat the chainsaw down with a defiant shove on one of the broken display tables. He shook his head and faced his peers and customers. All the ridicule and jokes came at a price, he had always told himself. It was time to pay up now. When push came to shove and these people had to deal with the truth, it had been he who had risen up and dealt with it. Ash felt a righteous vindication wash over him as he cupped his hand to his ear and said, "Huh? Anyone? Speak up..."

Pegg slowly stood up from his hiding place. Ash could see his manager had pissed himself during the fight. A large dark spot had formed over the crotch of his tan khaki pants that spread down to the knee of his left leg. Pegg seemed oblivious to the fact as he stepped out and cautiously stood beside Renee Alexander.

"Anyone?"

Mr. Pegg shook his head quickly and Renee only looked at him with huge eyes that dared not blink. Her mouth was hung slightly agape, her normally chocolate aulait skin a pale ghost of its former pigment. A small squeak escaped from between her lips, her legs shaking and hands trembling. Ash wasn't angry with her, as furious and as dark as his face must have appeared at that moment. Renee had been the only person in the store who had believed him. He supposed Pegg had been supportive too, but that didn't stop him from being subtly sarcastic and dubious with him on a daily basis.

And now, for all the naysayers and skeptics was proof of his story, or at least a damned convincing argument.

"Anyone else got anything to say?" he shouted and turned suddenly, his eyes flashing at Ted. The clerk shrunk back behind the terrified girl he had been using as a shield. Ash touched her shoulder with one finger and moved her aside, giving him a clear view of his rival. Ash put his hand out and shoved him hard on the shoulder, "Huh, Ted? Anything to say about me being the king, you thick-headed prick?!"

Ted opened his mouth.

"Huh?" Ash shoved him again.

Small tears glistened in Ted's eyes as he tried to find his voice.

"Huh, Ted? Speak up."

Ted merely recoiled back as though he might disappear into oblivion, his eyes wide and head shaking back and forth in a silent apology. Ash loomed over him, his eyes burning with a power that seemed to not only diminish Ted's already shrinking bravado and wit but also his stature. Ash nodded approvingly and turned to face Mr. Pegg. He looked around at the destroyed S-Mart and said, "Mr. Pegg, sorry about the mess."

"It happens," the older man whispered, "I mean, who knew?"

"I knew," Ash said evenly.

"It's all true," Renee breathed, "All of it. Is that a deadite?"

Ash looked at her. It was nice to hear someone other than himself that word. It made it more real for him, and suddenly he didn't feel alone.

"This," Ash looked down at the convulsing body of Jason Voorhees, "Was the easy part."

The sounds of wailing sirens filled the store as doors opened at every exit and thick boots thundered against the floor. They all turned to see several men, military from the looks of their dark combat fatigues and weapons, come rushing down the main aisle to the shattered remains of the Housewares and sporting goods sections. They all carried compact machine guns, red laser sights flashing in thin beams across the thick, dusty air.

"Glad you could make it," Ash looked at them, "Is 'Charles in Charge' over?"

The men in black said nothing as they secured the area.

"You guys took your time getting here," he took a step forward and then stopped as one of the men turned his head to the side and looked at him. Ash couldn't see behind the dark goggles the man wore, but he could feel the gaze.

"Easy chief," he put his hand up, "We're all on the same side."

Ash stood back, already feeling uneasy. At first, he couldn't figure out why he was so wary of the cavalry rushing in to clean up the mess. Normally, it was all up to him and him alone to deal with this kind of bullshit. He supposed he had been expecting to see blue uniformed cops, with shiny badges and ample guts hanging over their belts jogging in to see what the hell had happened. The arrival of these commandos felt wrong in every way. The last time Ash had checked, Dark Hollow didn't have a SWAT team or a special ops police unit on the payroll.

As the soldiers surrounded Jason, their weapons trained on him and fingers resting on the triggers, a tall lanky man in a black over coat came walking in behind them. He strode through the wreckage and the troops with a graceful ease. His hair was almost grayed out completely, his features tough and devoid of any kindness. Through thin, wire framed glasses he surveyed the damage to the S-Mart with an almost disappointed frown. The stranger looked around at the bewildered staff and customers of the S-Mart and forced a smile on to his face. He asked, "Ladies and gentlemen, what happened?"

"The Labor Day Sale," Ash spoke up, not feeling even slightly intimidated by him. He could feel the man's self-importance radiating even from ten feet away. He added, "We're getting ready early."

"I am Dr. David Wimmer," he glanced at Ash, his lip curled in a clear display of disgust, "I must have caught you on laundry day."

Ash looked down at his blood soaked clothes and shrugged.

"I am assuming you dealt with the large gentleman on the floor there?" Wimmer asked.

"Yeah," Ash said, "Yeah that's right."

"Then congratulations Mister-" Wimmer looked at Ash expectantly.

"Williams," he replied, "Ash Williams."

"You've succeeded where my team of highly trained commandos has failed," Wimmer glanced sideways at the soldiers with a look that could have frozen a forest fire, "You've stopped Jason Voorhees."

The hockey mask had looked familiar, but it was the name that made Ash remember. He had caught a news report a while back detailing how the Crystal Lake killer had escaped custody and fled the authorities. Ash looked down at the dying hulk on the floor, the barrel chest rising and falling as he labored to breathe. The glittering eyes deep inside the sockets of his hideous head watched with impassive curiosity.

"You sure this guy ain't something else?" Ash stepped away from the killer, "I mean, he took three blasts from a shotgun and was still kicking. If I hadn't used the chainsaw..."

"Regardless of what you might think, Mr. Williams," Wimmer cut him short, "He is only a man. Now, if you'll please stand back."

The soldiers began ushering away the crowd of people that had formed during their conversation. Ash looked to Pegg, who was still in shock. The manager found his voice and asked Wimmer, "What about the damages?"

"That's why a responsible owner pays for insurance," the doctor said.

Ash shook his head, "But-"

"Thank you," Wimmer glared at him as more soldiers entered the store. Leading them was a tall, broad shouldered man. His brown hair was cut short and his features hard. Out of all the nameless and faceless drones buzzing about, he was the only one who sported an ID and didn't wear a full-face mask. Ash looked at the nameplate, reading "Turner." The soldier nodded to Ash and stepped past him as loads of gear and equipment was brought in.

"If you'll all step back, please, and exit the premises," Wimmer announced, "This is an official crime scene."

Ash remained defiant, "As opposed to an unofficial crime scene, right?"

Wimmer eyed him, and the said, "Mr. Turner, see to it that Mr. Williams here receives the appropriate medical attention... and a shower."

Turner stepped forward, "Yes sir."

Ash took a deep breath as everyone was ushered out of the store by the soldiers. He looked at them, their countenances the alien form of goggles and masks. They were trained and tested to be that stoic, he imagined. The way they held their powerful assault rifles proved that if nothing else, they meant business. One of them motioned to the exit, scaring Renee and Mr. Pegg. They looked to Ash and then did as they were told.

"Mr. Williams," Wimmer said, now standing beside him, "Please, leave with Mr. Turner. Your job is done."

Ash looked at the doctor, "You don't have any questions for me?"

Wimmer cocked a brow, "Not at the moment."

Ash leaned in towards his ear and whispered, "Who are you really?"

The doctor only smiled and motioned to the exit, "Now, Mr. Williams."

Ash nodded, "That's what I thought."

"I'm sure our definitions of what constitutes 'thought' are two entirely different animals, Mr. Williams."

Ash turned to leave, Turner close behind him, his boots crunching the broken metal and glass slivers into the floor. He muttered under his breath, "Asshole."

"It always comes down to name calling," Wimmer said intentionally loud. The soldiers looked up from their work and looked at Ash. The doctor finished, "Why don't we give Mr. Williams a hand for all his efforts?"

Ash looked down at the stump where his right hand used to be and heard some of them snickering. He swallowed that burning ball of fire rising from his injured pride, stifling the reflex to turn and punch the doctor in the face. He paused, took a deep cleansing breath and then stepped out into a cool Michigan evening.

"Major asshole," he shook his head.

***

The dark blue van carrying Rowan and her party rolled up to the sight of several local police cars, news vans and unmarked government vehicles surrounding the S-Mart. When Wimmer had called her, she knew that he would probably reach the scene first. She had expected that no matter where Jason popped up, Wimmer would have his ear to the floor and ready to pounce. Between the wiretaps he had illegally set up in every police station in the search radius to the sophisticated equipment his men used to monitor civilian communications, it was only a matter of time before the self-righteous doctor found him.