A Note & a Letter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Glen gave short, almost dismissive answers to her questions. He wanted this woman to know as little about him as possible. It occurred to him that none of the Hardcastle family had questioned him on personal matters, not even Sarah with whom he had been most friendly.

He did however let drop that he was a doctor, and this gave rise to some mirth in Star who said, "A doctor, darling, how wonderful, perhaps you'd like to give me a thorough check up."

Glen muttered something about being on holiday and he was not inclined to work. Even this rebuff did not deter the impervious Star.

For Glen the meal had been spoilt and he hurried through it to escape this suffocating woman. Finishing he excused himself and made to leave. Even then Star did not give up; "Perhaps we could go for a walk along the beach, it would be very romantic at this time in the evening."

For a moment Glen was stumped for a response then he said, "Sorry, I've got another engagement," and fled.

He went to the kitchen and there Linda and Sarah were clearing up. "Are you going for a walk along the beach this evening?" he asked Sarah.

She looked up giving him a mischievous smile. "Yes, why?"

"Can I come with you?"

Her smile broadened, "Yes, if you like."

Linda gave a smothered laugh.

Sarah asked, "Okay mum?"

"Yes darling, I can finish up here, you run along with Glen." She stifled another laugh.

Sarah said, "All right Glen lets go," and walked out in the direction of the garden.

"Operation rescue," Linda called out now failing to stifle her laughter.

"What…?" asked Glen but Sarah called out, "Come on or we'll leave you behind."

Glen hurried into the garden to be overwhelmed by an excited Fred, who seemed to have an ambition to knock him over.

"Down boy," said Sarah who also seemed to be having trouble stopping her self from laughing. Fred subsided and led the way along the path to the beach.

When they got to the beach Sarah gave full voice to her laughter and said, "Mum was right, this is operation rescue, isn't it."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm rescuing you from the clutches of the beautiful enchantress aren't I? I thought she was going to eat you."

"You knew?"

"She didn't exactly hide it, did she? I thought with her looks you'd succumb."

"No thanks, I've had enough of…I don't need that sort of thing."

"Most men would."

"Perhaps; it might depend on their experience with women."

"You don't mind being with me, then?"

"You're different."

"Am I, in what way?"

Glen hesitated, "You've shoved yourself into a bit of a corner old boy," he thought; then went on, "You're pleasant to be with."

"Oh!"

They walked on in silence with only the sound of the little wavelets whishing on the sand. For a while Glen wasn't sure whether he had made the right response to her question or not.

Sarah broke the silence; "How long are you thinking of staying?"

"I'm not sure; perhaps a week; maybe a couple of weeks."

"I was wondering if you'd like me to how you some of the hill tracks; you could do your bird watching."

"That would be very good, but what about your work?"

"I could ask mum if I could have a day off; shall I ask?"

"Well yes, but…well I don't want her to think I've been…"

"Persuading me? I told you before Glen, I'm not a child. I put in at the pub what I can; it's a sort of return for all they've put into me, but I can get a day off."

They turned and began the walk back along the beach towards the pub.

"Sorry Sarah," Glen said, "I didn't mean to imply that you're a child, it's just that…well, your parents might think I'm trying to…" Glen's voice faded; he didn't know how to go on.

"I asked you Glen, you didn't ask me. If you'd rather I didn't come with you only have to say; I'm not trying to force myself on you."

The conversation ceased as they saw Star approaching.

She stopped and seemed to stare at them for a moment and then said in what sounded like a gritty voice, "Oh, so this was your arrangement."

Glen did not feel himself to be under any obligation to Star, so he said, "Yes, enjoy your walk," and they moved on.

"What was that about?" asked Sarah, "She sounded annoyed."

"She asked me to go for a walk with her and I told her I'd made an arrangement. That's when I came and asked if I could walk with you."

"I said this was a rescue mission; don't you like her? Lot's of men would jump at the opportunity to walk with her."

"Yes, they would, but she comes on so strong. She knows that men would leap at the chance to walk with her, and probably do other things as well. She's far too sure of herself for my liking, and I don't need…I don't want that sort of thing."

Sarah stopped, looking at him.

"Glen, I haven't pried into your affairs, have I?"

"No," replied Glen, wondering where this was leading.

"I just want to say that almost from my first meeting you, I thought that you're a man who's been badly hurt in some way. I'm not asking you about it, but I did want to say that."

"You're very perceptive, Sarah, perhaps you should be the doctor and I should work in the pub."

Sarah laughed and said, "I think you'd make an awful kitchen hand. Now, would you like me to come with you tomorrow?"

"Yes, I would, very much."

"Good, if you go into the private bar when we get back I'll go and ask mum if it will be okay."

"Right."

Glen sat in the private bar with a whisky waiting to hear Linda's verdict. Before Sarah got back to him Star entered; she sat on the bar stool beside him and said, "I'll have a gin and tonic, Glen."

Glen had noticed before how some people had the effrontery to make their demands and so often got away with it. He supposed it was the surprise the victim experienced that caused them to accept whatever was demanded. It was the same with people who handed out gratuitous insults; the insulted person was so shocked they failed to respond.

When Sarah returned and said, "Mum says it will be fine," he ordered the gin and tonic.

He sat studying Star. On first seeing her he had taken her to be about thirty, but now he could see she was nearer forty. Certainly she had worn well. Her figure was excellent and she obviously took good care of herself. Her makeup was carefully applied so as to focus the viewer's attention on her best features, but behind it he could see that all might not look so well first thing in the morning.

He was reminded of an interview he had heard with someone who had been talking about a famous film actress of about five decades ago. The actress, who had been married six times, had played the role of a sexual siren in one particular film and this had made her the fantasy of thousands if not millions of men. When asked about her many marriages, the answer was, "Well, the trouble was they went to bed with (the name of the woman she played in the film), but they woke up with (the name of the actress).

Some words he had once read popped into Glen's mind, "The stern, bare horrors of reality, from which there was no awakening." "Yes, there is no awakening from reality," he thought.

Star was talking but he hadn't heard a word she said. "Sorry, what was that?"

Speaking in that slow patient voice that people sometimes adopt when talking to someone they think an idiot, she said, "I said I shall go swimming tomorrow morning and thought you'd like come with me."

"Sorry I've…"

"Made other arrangements."

Glen glanced at Sarah and said, "Yes."

Star tossed off the last of her drink and slammed the glass down on the bar and stomped out.

"Not used to not getting her way," Glen commented.

"I feel rather sorry for her."

"Oh, why?"

"Perhaps all that self-assurance is a cover up for loneliness."

Glen considered this for a moment then said, "You may be right; I'll swim with her another day. How long is she staying?"

"Like you, she's a bit indefinite. It doesn't really matter to us; after all, we're not exactly booked out."

"No, I'll ask her some time but I'm not sacrificing tomorrow."

"Would it be a sacrifice?"

"Yes…yes it would. What time in the morning?"

Same as this morning, eight o'clock?"

"I'll be here at seven thirty."

"Would you like us to take some sandwiches and something to drink?"

"A good idea; we can make a day of it."

"Lovely; goodnight Glen."

"Goodnight."

As he made his way to his room Star came out of the bathroom dressed in a black negligee.

He bade her goodnight and received a grunt in reply. She left a trail of the stifling perfume hanging in the air as she went past him. He suddenly felt a twinge of guilt. Suppose Sarah was right and Star was lonely. He had heard that very attractive women were sometimes isolated by reason of their looks. Women avoided them because they were too great a challenge and men because they feared rebuff.

Glen felt that despite the fact that his mood had lifted since coming to Rascals Point, he still was in no position to help someone else, especially someone who seemed to have certain features in common with Rosemary. Nevertheless he decided, "I'll ask her to go swimming with me the day after tomorrow."

Having applied that salve to his conscience he climbed into bed and went to sleep.

He woke early, showered and dressed, and was in the dining room at seven fifteen. He rang the bell and Linda came in.

"Heavens Glen, you're early, it's not ready yet."

He had ordered bacon and eggs so he smiled and said, "That's okay."

Linda went to leave but at the door she turned and came back to him.

"Glen, I hope you don't mind my saying this, but Sarah hasn't had much experience with men. Of course she's had the occasional brush with men in the bar, that's why we keep her away from there, but she hasn't…you know, had much to do with mature men…just a couple of boyfriends, so we hope…I mean she's very precious to us and…"

"You're worried I might try and seduce her?"

"No…no…I didn't mean that, I'm sure you wouldn't. It's just that you're here for only short while and you're an attractive man and experienced and she might get fond of you, and we wouldn't want her to get hurt."

Glen was perplexed. He thought if anyone might get hurt it would be him given the vulnerable state he was in. That Sarah would get overfond of a man his age had not occurred to him.

"Would you rather she didn't go with me, Linda?"

"No, I don't mean that, but be careful with her. She's a very affectionate girl and she might think that being with you means more than it really does."

"I promise you I'll be very careful."

"I knew you would; you didn't mind me speaking out about her?"

"Of course not, you're right to be concerned."

"I'll go and get your breakfast, Sarah is getting it ready."

She left and Glen sat wondering how he had got himself jammed between these two women, Sarah and Star. It seemed odd that each of them in their own way had made the running. "I thought I'd come here to get away from women troubles," he pondered.

Sarah came in with his breakfast. This time she was not wearing green, but fawn shorts and shirt. Glen could not help noticing how tightly the shorts stretched over her high neat buttocks, and her obviously small unbridled breasts pressed against her shirt, the little nipples clearly visible. He wondered if pixies wore fawn as well as green.

He felt a lurch in the pit of his stomach and his penis began to harden. "Careful Glen," he thought, "remember what you said to her mother."

Sarah was all smiles and clearly excited. "I've had my breakfast, so we can leave as soon as you're ready. It's a lovely day," she said, "we're going to have a wonderful time." She sat while he ate and just as he finished eating and they were about to leave Star came in. She was wearing her bikini and over it was a very see-through beach coat. Glen felt that the message was, "See what you're missing," but he swallowed that thought and said, "Perhaps we could go swimming tomorrow morning, Star."

She looked at him as if she was looking straight through him and said, "We'll see," and in a heavily significant voice added, "I might have made other arrangements."

"Oh, okay," said Glen, and turning to Sarah said, "Shall we go?"

They used Sarah's vehicle again since Fred was going with them. Once in the car Glen said, "Well, I did my best."

"Yes, it was rather a case of hurt pride. I still feel sorry for her; she's obviously used to getting her own way.

They set off towards the hills, driving through the town and out on the road they had taken the day before, passing the dirt road to the lighthouse. They drove for another ten minutes in silence until they reached the point where the road began to climb up.

Sarah pulled in at a stile and said, "We'll take this track today." Glen took note of the "today," hoping it meant that there would be other days with Sarah.

Clambering over the stile they began to walk along a track that rose gently following the contours of the hill. Apart from a break for lunch when they reached the top of the hill, they walked for six hours. Glen saw no birds he hadn't seen before, but was surprised when through his binoculars he spotted two Boobook Owls roosting in a tree. "They usually roost in denser vegetation and only come out at night," he told Sarah.

Attractive though the surroundings were, Glen had to conclude that the real pleasure of the walk was being with Sarah. Like Fred she seemed to bound along while he plodded after her trying to keep up. She was a young woman almost bursting with good health and energy.

As they sat eating lunch Sarah said, "Glen, I know hardly anything about you, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"

"No."

"Are you married?"

"Yes."

There was silence for a few moments, the Glen added, "Separated."

"Do you have any children?"

"No."

Another silence and then Sarah said, "What a pity."

"What is?"

"You're being separated."

"Yes, I suppose it is."

That seemed to end the topic and Sarah said, "Shall we go?"

They began the downward hike and little was said. Sarah seemed very thoughtful. Glen wondered if revealing he was married had brought to an end his budding relationship with Sarah. He was relieved when during drive back she said, "Perhaps you'd like me to show you another track some time?"

"Yes, I would, but how about your work?"

Sarah laughed and said, "Well, I can't have every day off but if you're staying until next week we could go then. We can go walking in the evening, if you want to."

"I'd like that."

Arriving back at the pub Glen decided he'd have a drink in the private bar. "Come on," he said, "I'll buy you an apple juice."

Entering the bar they found Star sitting there. It was obvious she had been drinking fairly heavily; her hair hung partially over her face and she sat slouching. Harry was serving and Star was in the process of asking for another drink.

"Don't you think you've had enough," Harry was saying.

Star turned on him; "Don't fucking tell me when I've had enough; I'll decided when I've had enough…ah, here's Doctor Glen with his…his other arrangement. Have a nice time did you…get what you wanted." She giggled drunkenly.

Glen went to her and touching her arm said, "I think Harry's right Star, you have had rather a lot."

She drooped against him and drawled, "Want to take me to bed and fuck me? Didn't you get any with the little pub girl? Thought was what the other arrangement was about."

Stars perfume had gone stale and was mixed up with the smell of sweat and her alcohol laden breath. Her carefully applied makeup had given up and there was a streak of dark eye liner running down one cheek. Glen thought she was a pitiful sight.

"Come on Star, you've really had enough."

"One more, just one more then you can take me to bed and fuck me."

"No, Star, let's just get you to bed."

"Don't want to fuck me! That hunk," indicating Harry; "He'd screw the arse of me if I let him."

Glen looked across at Harry who raised his eyebrows in embarrassment and exasperation.

"One more drink…just one more…and then you can both take me to bed and fuck me."

Harry gave her a drink and she drank it in a single gulp.

"Now boys you…" She slithered to the floor.

Between them Harry and Glen got her to her bedroom. Sarah went to fetch Linda who undertook to undress Star and get her into bed.

The two men went back to the private bar and Linda soon followed.

"Harry, you had no right to let her go on drinking like that."

"Sorry mum, but I had to keep going back and forth between here and the main bar. I think she helped herself when I wasn't here. He pointed to a nearly empty vodka bottle; "That was full this morning and no one else has been in here."

"Well, work out how much she had and we can put it on her bill."

Linda left and Harry said, "My God, I thought she was really something, and I suppose she is, but not something I'd fancy jumping into bed with. Every time I came back in here to see how she was going she was talking about sex and her ‘ex' as she called him, and about you two. I don't mind dealing with the guys, but a woman, especially this one…no thanks. I'd better get back to the other bar; you can serve Glen, Sarah."

He left and Sarah and Glen stared at each other for a moment.

"Nasty," said Glen. He felt angry that Star had spoilt what had been a pleasant day.

"You get them like that sometimes," said Sarah, "If it's a woman mum mostly deals with them, with dad or Harry standing by in case they get violent, but we don't get that sort of thing in this bar usually. What do you want to drink?"

"After that little lot I think I'll join you in an apple juice."

"Converted you, have I?"

"No, Star has."

After the evening meal Sarah, Fred and Glen took a walk along the beach. Glen was feeling the effects of the days hill climb. They stopped and sat on the sand for a while. A slice of moon had risen like a small piece cut from a lemon and it was reflected shimmeringly in the water.

The scene with Star had unsettled Glen. He wondered why she had needed to drink herself into that state, and why, even though drunk, she had offered herself so freely. It was so degrading and in a way it had degraded him and Harry as well.

He remembered Alan had said that his liaison with Rosemary had started at a party, and he wondered if she had been drunk…had Alan been drunk as well? But what about the other men? They couldn't all have been the result of her being drunk.

The next morning a gloomy Star appeared for breakfast huddled up in a dressing gown. "God I've got a thumping headache," she complained. "We were supposed to go swimming, weren't we?"

"Only if you hadn't made other arrangements."

"I don't feel like swimming, would you drive me out to that lighthouse on the point?"

Glen had hoped he had escaped from any obligation to Star, but remembering Sarah's words about Star being lonely he agreed to take her.

After breakfast and a couple of aspirin Star appeared looking slightly revived, well made up, and clad in bright red top and shorts that revealed more than they covered. They went in Glen's car and arriving at the lighthouse he gave Star the tour he had received from Sarah.

Star seemed restless and uninterested except that she seemed fascinated by the ocean side of the point and its thunder. They sat where he and Sarah had sat, at the base of the lighthouse for a while, and Glen, who was wearing shorts, felt Star's leg pressing against his.

"Very quiet here," commented Star.

"Yes, apart from the ocean."

"No one around."

"No, I don't think many people come out here."

"You know, I've always had a dream of being made love to in a place like this."

"Have you?"

"Yes, don't you think it would be fantastic?"

Her hand began to stroke Glen's thigh. There was no doubt in Glen's mind where this conversation was going and his manhood was responding. At the same time those storm warnings were clamouring again. "One wrong move with this woman and there's trouble ahead," he decided.