All Comments on 'A Perfect She-Devil'

by Todd172

Sort by:
  • 112 Comments (Page 2)
oldpantythiefoldpantythief12 months ago

Loved the story, had me laughing at times and hoping against hope at others that things would work out, which they did. It would be best not to stay on the good side of both Jeremiah and Mary, mainly for health reasons if nothing else. Thanks for a great story.

BaddJackBaddJack11 months ago

Well researched, and well written. Living in Southwest Missouri, and having the personality of a Bushwhacker, I immediately identified with Mary Green. In fact, I went to school with a Mary Green nearly 50 years ago.

Well done.

MidwestSouthernerMidwestSoutherner8 months ago

The main quibble that I have about your The War (of Northern Aggression) is how you portray 'Western Virginia'.

While it is true nobody in a large group agrees 100% on everything, West Virginia exists expressly because those counties seceded from the state of Virginia (primarily over slavery), using the same logic that Virginia used in declaring for the Confederacy. After the war, Virginia fought that secession and lost - hoisted on their own petard.

Southern sympathizers, Copperheads, northerners in Confederate uniform - sure. Mary Green is great. And a nod for including Mosby, but he did become a Republican and an American ambassador. He was quoted to the effect that the war was the right fight for the wrong reason.

Dgfergie had the right of it. Vietnam was a unmitigated clusterfuck. Just like The War Between The States. (Never Civil War - civil war does not have uniformed, recognized military units conforming to the laws of war. Rebels - absolutely.) It was like Mosby said. Anything that can be construed as supportive of slavery is a wrong reason. But it wasn't the only reason for the rebellion. (Hint: only Federal taxes came from import duties. Who's ports were filled with FOREIGN imports? Look at prevailing ocean currents and winds. Harder to sail from NYC to Charleston than Portugal to Charleston. Upon whom did this tax burden hit hardest? Lincoln knew this.)

Vietnam may have been opposed by commie symp's, but opposition of that war came from other things too. And our reasons for being there - supporting the restoration of Colonial France's possessions in French IndoChina. Anybody hear of Dien Bien Phu? Yeah, the French Foreign Legion got their nuts roasted. So we.....and that shit started back in the 40's, so yeah that frog was boiled to death slowly.

I ramble, but with purpose. I realize that Phil Sheridan hung some Confederates and the retaliation had a not pinned to a hung Union soldier to the effect of "Philip, this shit needs to stop." (They were West Point roommates.) I didn't realize Custer was pulling that shit too.

As for your analysis of Brandy Station's effect on Gettysburg, maybe so. But here Custer shines again. He was the one responsible for holding up Lee's anvil against which Pickett's charge was to be the hammer for. Stuart could have blunted it if, if, if.....but Custer got promoted and medal'd.

I especially admire how you communicated Mary's visceral hatred of Union troops. A woman I could admire, but have no desire to meet her. (I used to be married to what has to have been one of her great granddaughters. Harsh.)

DeanofMeanDeanofMean8 months ago

"The Missus" well mine anyway has been described as an "uppity and difficult women" personally I wouldn't have it any other way. I think you might have one as well my father contends all great thinkers do. All that silliness done another great story thax for that

XluckyleeXluckylee7 months ago

This is the best story I have read on this site. I wish I could give you 10 stars but I will have to settle for 5 stars from Xluckylee

RetiredScientist1943RetiredScientist19436 months ago

I love your penchant for historical accuracy. As a West Virginia native I could easily relate to the locations in this story.

Ravey19Ravey194 months ago

War is terrible and this was one of the worst. Third or fourth read of this fantastic story.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

It’s great so many people love this. However I have a few problems with some things.. Being a born rebel I don’t have a high opinion of the yankee horde. On capturing a female spy they simply would have raped and killed her. A rebel unit sent to destroy a train trestle simply would have blown it up. How did they fall in love? He read the Bible to her every night? And most nights she was feverish and delirious, He must have had a very soothing voice. Brandy station and any battle where the numbers were close to even is noteworthy and rare . Yanks didn’t prefer a fair fight. They preferred to outnumber the enemy 2 to 1 or better. Also, she thought she killed Jeremy. If he was alive at the end, who was the poor bastard she killed? Given her hatred of anything Yankee I find it hard to believe she would feel anything but contempt for one, much less marry one. She may have preferred the devil.

tralan69ertralan69er4 months ago

I'm NOT a historian

I don't know how much of this story is fact or fiction and I don't care either way.

I read and enjoyed this story very much. I believe this to be one of the best stories I have read here on Lit.

Thank you Todd and Missus. Please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Another Mister and Missus masterpiece. Well worth five stars. Like the historical research into the war, munitions, etc.

JPB

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Was she a forebear Congresswoman Majorie Taylor Green? And was Jeremiah Lodge a forebear of Henry Cabot Lodge? What a dynamic duo. Their kids must have been more than a handful.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Great story. The intro is fantastic and really draws the reader in.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTodd172@Todd172
I write my stories to relieve the population pressure. Too many people banging around in there and the only way to get them out is to write them out. There's a bitter ex-Navy Master Chief living next to a quietly desperate tarnished Russian angel, who is trying to keep her sou...

SIMILAR Stories