A Picture – Worth A Thousand Words Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gloria left a little while later. I assured her that I would find a way to keep Joyce out of their hair while they arranged the party. I didn't know what or how, but I'd figure something out. I had a week and a bit. I sat back in my recliner and thought about the conversation with Gloria. Maybe I was being too cautious.

I did a few chores and puttered around for awhile, putting off calling Joyce. Finally I decided the hell with it. The worst she could do is shoot me down, though somehow I doubted that would happen. I picked up the phone and called her.

"Joyce, hi. It's Jack." I felt like a kid asking his soon-to-be girlfriend for a first date.

"I know, I've got call display," she laughed. I loved that laugh, deep and genuine.

"Look, what are you doing tomorrow? You have any plans?"

"No, not really. Why, what's come up?"

"I just felt like I need to get out of the house. How would you like to go shopping?"

"Are you serious? You? Shopping?" she really laughed this time.

"Well, a different sort of shopping. I want to look at RV's. I enjoyed it so much that I'm looking at buying one of my own. So what do you say, wanna go shopping?"

"Jack, I'd love to. When?"

"How about I pick you up before lunch. We'll do some lunch and go check out RV's."

"Perfect. I'll be ready at 11:00."

"Great. See you then. Dress casual. You never know, I might get you crawling under these units to check them out," I laughed at her. I knew she liked to dress up, even for a barbeque.

She giggled, "Okay, no fancy dresses or anything. See you tomorrow."

I ended the call. Well the die was cast. Tomorrow could be fun or a disaster. I was leaning toward fun.

Sunday I picked Joyce up and we went for a quick lunch. She'd never ever shopped for an RV, or anything so expensive for that matter. She was like a kid at Christmas. We started at the dealer where I had rented the motorhome and explained what I was looking for. I didn't need something as big as what I had rented, but I still wanted to be able to tow a car for running around in. We loaded up with brochures and got some tentative pricing, since there would be no trade. We followed the same routine at 3 more RV dealers. None put the hard sell on me, just explained the various options available.

Exhausted by information overload, I drove back to my home. I guess Joyce took it for granted that that is where we would go because she didn't say anything. I poured a couple of glasses of Merlot and we began sorting through all the brochures. We decided to sort into 3 distinct piles; maybe, possible, and no way. The maybe and possible were sorted into class (Class A, B, C etc.) and amenities. After over 2 hours we had narrowed it down to 3 different models. Now it would depend on the deal we (I was thinking we?) could get. I was leaning toward the dealer that I had rented from. At least they were a known entity.

I decided that instead of ordering in as I usually would, I'd cook a simple dinner. We had roast stuffed chicken, veggies and salad, and of course, accompanying wine. I didn't really do desserts at the best of times and told Joyce that. She was okay with it; she didn't really do desserts either.

After dinner I put all the used dishes into the dishwasher and we retired to the living room. For whatever reason we ended up side by side on the sofa, instead of me in my recliner as usual. It just felt so natural.

Joyce leaned back and sighed contentedly, "Thank you Jack. It's been a fabulous day. I've never done anything like that and enjoyed every minute of it."

"You're more than welcome. I just had to get out of the house, and wanted to be with someone I really cared for."

"Do you mean that Jack? If you're kidding I don't think it's funny."

"I meant every word. You know I have this policy about not dating employees. I've come to realize that either I start asking you out, and the hell with the rules, or fire you. I don't want to fire you. I think you're a wonderful, caring, funny and smart woman. Any man would be lucky to have you," I spoke softly, holding her hands together in both of mine as I spoke.

"Damn you Jack. I've waited for this for so long," she reached up and pulled my head down for a long, lingering kiss. We came up for air and she continued, "You had better be sure. I'm a one man woman, and my man better be a one woman man. We've both been there, and I never, ever want to go that route again."

I held her close and whispered, "I've been such an ass. We should have been like this months ago. I wish I'd gone with my heart instead of my head." I kissed her again. "Joyce, I want you. I want to make love with you, I want to fuck your brains out. I want that, and I want you to know it's not just a one night thing. I don't play that game."

She pulled me closer, "Jack, please. Take me to bed. Make me your woman. I need, want you so much."

I got up from the sofa, took her by the hand, and led her down the hall to the bedroom.

Chapter 8

The next morning I awoke early. It felt so good, so natural to have Joyce sleeping beside me, gently snoring. We'd made love until the early hours and fell asleep sated. I was aware that our relationship had changed, I hoped for the better. While I didn't want to now lose her as a lover, I didn't want to lose her as an employee and friend either.

I got out of bed without disturbing her and went to put on the coffee. We'd both need it to survive the day since we really didn't get too much sleep last night. I let Joyce sleep while the coffee was brewing and I took a shower.

Shower finished, I went into the bedroom where Joyce was just waking up, "Oh, hi. I was having this dream. I dreamt that I spent the entire night making love with a wonderful man. Then I wake up and realize that it wasn't a dream."

I leaned over and gave her a kiss, "Well, lover. We have to get to work soon. I'll have to take you home so you can change."

She giggled, "You mean I'm not fired? I thought you didn't date employees."

I laughed back at her, "We haven't had a date yet, all we did was go shopping. Go have a shower. Fresh towels are on the counter. Coffee is ready when you are."

Giggling she got out of bed and made her way into the bathroom for a shower and her morning ablutions.

We made it through the day. I'd taken Joyce home so she could change, then drove into work alone. For the first time in ages I was at work before she was; something she was teased for by all the others. Of course we couldn't say why, at least not yet.

We were the last to leave, as usual. I was locking the door when Joyce said, "Jack, where do we go from here? I mean, I'd really like for us to be a couple, but I'm scared."

"Scared? Of me?"

"No, not of you, of us. I haven't been in a relationship since, well, you know. And you haven't either, unless you hid it well. I'm scared something might happen, somehow we'll find out we can't be together. It scares me. I don't want to lose our friendship and I don't want to lose you."

I pulled her into a hug, "Well, we can only take it one day at a time. We have to get to know each other. You know, like how we live, how would we live if we were together. I don't want to lose our friendship either, and that's the part that really, really worries me. I might not be man enough for you; I might not be the person you think I am."

"Jack, I don't think that's a problem. I've been with you day in and day out for over 5 years. I know the kind of man you are. Do you know what you're getting in return?"

"I know that you're a warm, caring, funny and smart woman who has a lot to offer any man, any man smart enough to get to know you. I hope, I like to think, that I'm that man," I paused to let my words sink in, "Now, we're out here in the middle of the sidewalk. It's almost dinner time. What do you say to a bite to eat?"

"You're too sensible, you know that. Let's go to my place and I'll see what's in the cupboard," she laughed and slipped out of my arms.

"Deal. You lead, I'll follow." We walked over to our vehicles in the parkade and I followed her out. I stopped on the way to her apartment to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner.

I got there not too long after Joyce who was searching through the fridge for something to cook. "I'm afraid the cupboards a bit bare Jack. I didn't get a chance to do my grocery shopping yesterday. Some pervert took me looking at RV's then made his way with me last night," she was giggling. I loved that giggle.

"Oh, so now I'm a pervert who likes RV's?" I laughed at her.

She laughed out loud, "Yeah, and I love it. I love you." She stopped, almost afraid of the implications of what she had said. "Yes, I meant it, I do love you," she repeated, quietly, almost in a whisper.

"Thank God," I replied, "I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I didn't know if I'd ever be able to use those words again. Yes Joyce, I do love you."

She came over and collapsed in my arms, sobbing. I just held her as her emotions poured out, soaking my shirt. I didn't care about that at all.

After awhile she pulled back a bit, "I'm sorry Jack. I didn't mean to cry. I've just been so lonely and wanted you so much for so long." She wiped her eyes on my shirt, since it was already wet from her tears. "I was crying for me, for you, for us," she paused, "Where do we go from here? What do we do?"

"Well, as a typical man, I'm thinking about some dinner then we can relax and fill in the blanks. I don't know about your daughters. They may not want us to be a couple since you work for me," I smiled down at her.

"You men and you stomachs. Okay, how about bacon and eggs? You do the toast. Yes we do have to 'fill in the blanks' as you say. I think the girls will be happy for me. What about your two?"

"Well, I think they'll be happy. I know I'm still a bit on their shit list for kicking their mother out, but realize that it was her own doing. Actually, if they don't like us being together, I don't really care about their view on it. I think we should just do what we want and let everyone else adapt to it."

Together we got our dinner and ate while chatting quietly. It seemed so normal. Joyce took the dirty dishes and put them in the dishwasher. Afterward we retired to the living room and snuggled on the sofa.

"You know Jack," she started, snuggling closer if it was possible, "you could have almost any woman you want. I mean, like, I'm no beauty queen. I love it that you say you love me. I just hope it's true.'

"We're going to have to do something about this inferiority complex of yours. Beauty is only skin deep. I told you before you have a lot to offer, and I meant it. I think I've been in love with you for a long time, but didn't want to admit it. All that I went through with Bev was just too fresh, and the hurt too deep. I wasn't sure if I could ever feel this way about someone again." I kissed the top of her head that was snuggled into my chest.

Joyce was quiet for quite awhile and I was beginning to think she had dozed off. It felt good just sitting here holding this wonderful woman. "Jack, I'm so glad you feel that way. I think I've been in love with you since the day you hired me. Nobody had ever treated the way you did, like a valued person. Ask my daughters. Their father treated me like dirt for so long I thought it was natural. I had no self esteem left; he had ground it out of me. Oh, he never physically abused me, just mentally. Sometimes I think it would have been better if he did beat me, then I'd have had a reason for being so miserable." She sighed contentedly.

"That won't happen again as long as I'm around to do something about it. Gloria told me a bit about it just after I hired you. She wanted to make sure that you were hired on merit, and not in sympathy. I don't think she believed me at first. It took her and her sister awhile to come around." I kissed the top of her head again. "Now, I've got to get home. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night for some reason," I laughed and she giggled.

"I know what you mean. It's all happened so fast I almost think I'm dreaming," she unwrapped herself from my arms and got up.

"Okay, then dream on this; where are we going for our first official date, and when. I've got to get going. I'll talk to you in the morning." I stood up, reluctant to leave, but I knew I had to.

"Jack you can stay, honest," sounding like I shouldn't go.

"Not if I want to get some sleep. You too. We're not teenagers anymore. We both need to rest up," I laughed as I opened the door. "I'd better go before you change my mind." I left her apartment and drove back to my empty house. Well, maybe for not much longer I thought.

I was hardly in the door when the phone rang. It was my daughter, Colleen. "Where have you been Dad? I've been calling for hours."

"Hi, how are you? How am I? Not bad. It's nice to hear from you too. I was at a friend's house having dinner. What's so urgent?"

"Nothing. I hadn't heard from you for awhile and was getting worried." She didn't sound all that worried, maybe she was just checking up on what I was doing.

"Well Colleen, I do have a life, such as it is. I've met someone and like her a lot. We're getting to know each other and maybe taking it to the next level." I purposely didn't tell her it was Joyce, since I wasn't sure how the news would be received.

"Well it's about bloody time Dad. You can't stay holed up in that big old house by yourself. Who is it? Do I know her?" she actually sounded both relieved and happy.

"Um, yeah. I think if I told you who it was you'd know her, but I'm not sayin' for now."

"How come Dad? If I guess her name will you tell me if I'm right?"

"No, we're not playing 20 questions here. I'll tell you who it is as soon as she says it's okay, but not before. Now, I just got in. I'll call you later. Hi to David."

"Okay Dad. Have it your way. I'll be waiting for your call. I can't wait to meet your mystery woman," she laughed just before ending the call.

Well, so far so good. At least she doesn't think I'm a monk or anything. I went and got my sweats on and plunked myself down in front of the tube. There wasn't much on worth watching, but I left it on for background noise if nothing else. I called Joyce.

"Hi Sweety. Just calling to say goodnight."

"Hi, I was just thinking of you and wishing you were here. But I know we both need some rest," she giggled.

"My thinking exactly. I got a phone call from Colleen a few minutes ago. I told her about us, well me and a mystery woman."

"Oh, and how did that go?"

"Well, I told her I met someone that I really cared for, but wouldn't give her your name until you said it was okay. She's probably driving David crazy trying to figure out who it is. She's okay with it, though. Told me, and I quote, it's about bloody time, unquote."

"Why didn't you say it was me? I'm okay with it."

"I wasn't sure. I didn't know how public you want us to become. For me, I don't care, but I don't want you hurt in any way."

"Damn you Jack. Use your head. Of course I want everyone to know. Like you told me, if they don't like it they'll just have to adjust," she was sounding both annoyed and amused.

"Yeah, I vaguely recall making some comment like that," I tried, unsuccessfully, to sound apologetic, "but I refuse to put a notice in the paper or post it on a billboard or anything," I laughed.

She giggled, "I think that would be taking it a bit far. I'm going to bed, honey. Talk to you tomorrow. Love you."

"Love you too, sleep tight." I ended the call and shut off the TV. I was exhausted. It had been a wild couple of days.

The next day, Gloria called me. "Jack, this party. We need you to deliver Mom at exactly 7:00PM a week from Wednesday. Do you think you can arrange for that?"

"I think so. Can I ask why exactly 7:00?"

"Only if you don't tell her. Me and Jen and our hubbies went together and bought her a new car. The thing is that it won't arrive until Tuesday and they need Wednesday to prep. The owner said he'd deliver it at 5:00 Wednesday night and we want time to add some stuff to it. So we need her at 7:00, not before."

"Okay, and this is at your place?"

"Right. Everyone but you two will be here earlier."

"My lips are sealed. 7:00 on the dot a week Wednesday. I'll figure something out."

"Thanks Jack. I knew I could count on you." She ended the call and I sat back wondering how on earth I'd put one past Joyce. It would take a bit of planning.

The rest of the week flew by. We didn't really get much of a chance to get together. She had decided for our first official date that we would go to dinner then attend a jazz concert. I'm more of a R&B and Oldies Rock 'n Roll person, but Jazz is okay. And we would be together.

I made arrangements with the RV dealer that we had agreed on to have the unit ready by Sunday. He was more than happy to accommodate us.

I picked up Joyce early Saturday evening. We had an early dinner date since we didn't want to miss any of the concert. When she opened the door to her apartment I teased, "Sorry to disturb you. I thought Joyce lived here."

She laughed and punched my arm, "You're being silly. Come in. I'll just be a minute."

"No, I'm serious. I didn't recognize you without your working clothes on," I laughed. To my eyes she looked fabulous. She gathered her things together and we walked out to my car. "You look great," I said, meaning every word of it.

"Well, thank you. You clean up pretty good, too. I hope it's a great evening." I opened the door for her to get in and walked around to the driver side. As soon as I was settled she moved over to sit in the middle of the seat, pressing her side up against me.

It was hard, but I managed to get us to the restaurant without killing anyone. Actually, it was more than a restaurant; it was a dining room with all the usual accoutrements. A uniformed maître'd showed us to our table. The wine steward followed shortly afterward. We must have had at least 5 different people serving our table.

I ordered a nice bottle of wine, remembering that Joyce preferred white. The server asked if we had questions. It all looked so good on the menu it was a hard choice. I asked, "Well it all looks perfectly delicious. Do you have anything you personally recommend?"

"Of course, sir. My name is Fredrick. My personal favourite is the pork medallions in wine sauce. If you wish beef, then of course you can't go wrong with the filet mignon. If you wish, I'll give you a few moments."

I thanked him and he moved off to another table. "Well, Joyce. What do you think? It all looks perfectly wonderful. I'm going to go with the medallions."

"I agree. It all looks so good. You know, I've never had a filet mignon. I'm going with that."

I waved to Fredrick who came over as soon as he was able.

"Fredrick, we're going to go with your suggestions. The lady will have the 6 ounce filet, medium well, and I'll have the pork medallions."

"Very good choices madam, sir. I'll place your order immediately."

"Thank you, Fredrick. There is no hurry. We want to thoroughly enjoy the experience."

"And so you shall. I will make sure of it."

The meal lived up to and exceeded our expectations. True to his word, Fredrick made sure that we were well looked after. His assistants always seemed to appear at the right time, and of course he checked to make sure everything was going well. I ensured a generous tip as we left for the concert.

The concert was the icing on the cake for the evening. The band, well, I guess they were an ensemble, played quite a few of the old standards as well as a lot of their new material that had just been released to the market. I made sure to buy a couple of their CD's as we left. The music would be a good reminder of our first official date. I didn't want the evening to end.