A Price Paid Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"All I would do is turn the land into Idros, a city that pretends it is clean while weaponizes its piety against all within earshot, but has just buried the order of things so far underground that they can pretend they never have to contend with it. Then, under no sunlight at all, the dark turns to rot and festers. The only thing that keeps the dark from festering there is the fact that sunlight exists in the form of soldiers of Erette who police the city for them."

Neral teased, "Not your benevolence?"

She almost laughed for real. "Hah. Yes, my benevolence and not the fact that, so far from the capitol and its eyes and hand, that eventually the rot would be so that I would have to impose martial law and spend years cleaning it up. No. Better ultimately to have my general police it beforehand."

"So a soft martial law it is."

Evaline ignored the snark, mostly, but her eyes twinkled for a time before thoughts of Strannix took her cheer away. "But there are limits. Some things are simply too brazen and too vile to be ignored once brought to light. And, if that weren't enough, anyone in such a position long enough that they believe that they can attack a noble family with impunity, then the criminals believe they are more powerful than the government and that cannot be allowed to stand.

"Others will replace him, but, for the foreseeable future, they are likely to be lesser, less organized evils who will know what will happen if they overstep."

Moving beyond the topic, she wanted to discuss something that actually pleased her. "May we now discuss something more pleasant, Bootsie?"

Neral sat, welcoming the respite herself as well as the use of the queen's childhood nickname for her which told her that any remaining royal status was gone. "What's on your mind, Evie?"

"My wedding weighs heavily, of course. Winter will come and then fade before you know it. Then there will be the Spring Festival, and, with it, my wedding. I'm just wondering if you have seen the seamstress about your gown. As Maid of Honor, you have responsibilities."

Some annoyance reemerged, and not because of ceremony. In her position, she had to embrace more than a little pomp and ceremony, but she imagined all those frilly, dainty bits and what she took to thinking of as posh and circumstance and cringed inwardly. "I have not. Can't I just get away with my dress uniform?"

Evaline pretended to consider it, "Why not? Black with gold trim and enough medals and marks of service that if the day is sunny you will blind thousands will not at all clash with a bridal party in white." Her voice dripped comic disdain. "I have always known you secretly wish to upstage me."

Neral circled her forefinger around her chest, "No one will be able to see past those with you in your dress for me to have a chance to upstage you."

"I thought giving you something to look at during could be my gift to you."

Neral was unmoved. "Tessa's are bigger."

Evaline bristled in good nature. "Hardly."

Neral grumbled. "I just hate all the lace and all that. It just feels pretentious and gaudy to me. Not that I think you look that way to me, it's just not me."

"Even if you would look beautiful?"

It was Neral's turn to bristle and her dark brown eyes narrowed. "I don't always look beautiful?"

"You do. It's just different. I would love to see you in that lace and all fussed over and.."

"Gah. It's an official function and I'd feel chained into that thing."

"Even as a gift to me?"

Neral winced hung her head. "Low blow, Evie."

She pouted. 'C'mon, Neral." Then she paused as an idea struck. "What if we split the difference? You and the seamstress can come up with an official uniform in white, something that compliments, but is...you and something for the masses to see. But, as a personal gift to me, you wear that lovely dress for the reception." Evaline began to smile when she saw the wheels turning behind Neral's eyes, knowing that look well enough to know that she was about to yield.

She would only have to feel awkward in front of a few hundred people instead of thousands. Sometimes half a victory is all you can manage. "While I coordinate with you, of course, I approve the uniform, not the seamstress. It is still military, after all."

Evaline jumped to claim the victory and pressed on, "Done. Now, about the hair..."

Deciding that she needed this moment with her friend and to focus on something that actually made her happy and that was more important than personally bearing witness to the debate which was set to do nothing but rehash Strannix' business dealings in gory detail, even if form required her to be there to moderate if necessary. "Bae? Would you mind standing in for me during deliberations for the time being. I'm in the midst of a critical diplomatic negotiation."

Bae was pleased to see the queen happy. "Of course, Majesty."

"They fear you more anyway."

She gave it serious thought. "That is probably true. I serve at the pleasure of my queen, not them, and that works in my favor quite often." She gave a slight bow before leaving the two alone, "I shall return when I have news."

With that, she departed and, when she returned roughly two hour later, she found the two still engaged in casual conversation, having evidently completed their negotiations regarding the wedding and now just trying to pass the time. Upon closing the door she turned to face her queen, looking relieved, though only those that knew her well would see the tells in her demeanor. "It is done. They await you only to hold the formal vote and then your proclamation."

Her mood dampened a bit given the gravity of the matter before her, but she didn't quite lose her cheer. Etan Strannix was about to feel her wrath and the wrath of Erette. She rose and stepped behind her desk to open a drawer to retrieve the formal text of her proclamation, reading it one more time on top of the dozens of times that she already had. Looking over at Neral, she saw her rise and settle into her 'at ease' stance, feet apart and hands clasped behind her back.

"Soon, dear friend. Within fifteen minutes, the kingdom will begin ridding itself of his public face and then you can spend the evening smashing your sword through the rest of what he owns."

"Fifteen eternities."

"Pfft, you'll be working before you know it. Besides, I've already worked out the verbiage of my direct orders to you. You'll like it. It's noble, and powerful, and will get the blood flowing."

Neral deadpanned. "I'll love minute sixteen more."

"Let's get you to work, general."

To Be Continued...