A Proper Scottish Wife Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Thors_Fist
Thors_Fist
2,606 Followers

"Thank you, Teárlag. I've never owned anything this fine. It's a glorious gift and one I can't repay."

"If you'll accept my friendship, I will consider myself more than repaid."

Isobel hugged her in answer, squeezing her hard. "I gladly accept your friendship, Lady Mackintosh."

Another good person I'm deceiving, Teárlag thought. I will surely go to hell for this.

It was time for Isobel to get dressed. She removed the silk night gown and tucked it away in a safe place, pulling out another not nearly as alluring. Teárlag helped her dress, fastening the many buttons on the back. She double checked Isobel's hair to ensure it was staying in place. She applied some of her own make-up to Isobel's lips, cheeks and eyes. With their coloring being so similar, it looked good on her.

"One last look," Teárlag said, turning her towards the mirror.

Isobel placed her hand on her cheek, touched her finger to her lip.

"I look like another person; like a queen," she said wonderingly. "Will Frang even recognize me?"

"You're the same person," Teárlag assured her, "merely enhanced. He will know you the moment he sees you."

Isobel stared at herself. "I'm more beautiful than I believed possible."

"Now you know why Frang wants to marry you. I imagine this is what he sees every time he looks at you. You're always pretty, Isobel. Never fool yourself. Your former husband may not have realized the treasure he let go, but everyone else sees you for the woman you are, both inside and out."

"Do you need help with your dress, Lady Mackintosh?"

"I will have my maid assist me if Thorburn cannot. Wait here until Thorburn comes for you. He will lead you to the altar."

Isobel handed Teárlag the night shift she'd found for herself. "Please bring this to Frang's room so I will have it this evening."

"Of course. I'll see you shortly."

Teárlag left Isobel still looking at herself in the mirror.

She went to Frang's room first, knocking. When no one answered, she went in and left Isobel's nightgown on a chair near the fireplace. Going to Thorburn's room, she knocked and heard his "enter". She went into the room and saw Thorburn engaged in trimming his beard.

"I can help you with that, Thorburn, if you trust a woman with your hair."

"Aye, I'd appreciate your help. My fingers barely fit in the holes of this wee scissors. It was clearly made for someone with much smaller hands than mine."

Teárlag smiled and took the scissors from him. She began trimming his beard, smoothing it out.

"Your hands were clearly made for swords and manhandling women, Thorburn. At that, they excel."

He reached out and thumbed her nipple through her dress. She slapped his hand away.

"Enough of that, Thorburn. We have a wedding to attend and much to do. Don't start what you cannot finish now."

"If you'd asked me this morning if I could feel any desire for you now after the night we'd just enjoyed, I would have called it impossible. Yet all it takes is seeing you after a few hours and I find myself eager to sample your body once more. I'm thinking you've cast an enchantment upon me. I feel like a young man again."

"I'm happy to know you still want me, Thorburn. You may take full advantage of me tonight, when we have the full night before us, not mere moments as we do now." She slapped his hand away again, which had started up her leg. "Behave yourself."

Thorburn grinned and put his hands in his lap, obeying her. She finished with his beard and asked if he would like his hair trimmed as well. He agreed and she quickly worked to even his hair. She used a cloth to brush the loose hairs from his face and shoulders.

"I will need help with my dress. Can you assist me or shall I call for my maid?"

"I get to see you naked again?"

"If you can manage to restrain yourself, yes. I don't want to be squirming in my seat trying to seek relief from any fires you choose to light. I've already embarrassed myself enough before your guests."

"I'll be good," he promised.

"See that you do. Help with the buttons on this thing."

Thorburn undid her buttons and Teárlag stepped out of the dress, then her shift. She was naked and Thorburn reached for her.

"Remember your promise," she scolded. "Tonight, Lord."

She went into her luggage and looked for a dress for the ceremony. Thorburn was surprised to see how many there were.

"How many gowns did you bring?" He asked.

"A dozen," she replied.

"Were you planning on staying that long?"

"No, I need to leave tomorrow, but a woman has to be prepared for any eventuality. After all, when I came, I didn't know that I'd be attending a wedding. But I do have one that is perfectly acceptable for such an occasion. Ah, here it is." She pulled out a simple but expensive looking lilac dress.

"I don't want to overshadow the bride," she said. "It's not proper, but it must be nice to reflect the solemnity of the ceremony."

"No wonder you had so much luggage. I could not believe how much I had to carry in here."

She found a shift to wear with the dress and slipped it on. She stepped into the gown and adjusted it around her slim form.

"Help with the laces, please." She turned her back towards him and Thorburn tugged at the trailing laces, pulling it tight until Teárlag told him to stop.

"Tight enough. You may tie it off."

He made a large bow. She turned and kissed him.

"I need to do something with my hair. You can get dressed now."

While he dressed, he watched her brush her hair. She brushed it back, formed a loose knot with strands from either side and tucking the rest through so it lay on her back. She added color to her lips and cheeks, muted from what she'd done for Isobel.

"I can make my own way to the great hall. Give it about ten minutes and escort Isobel down. I shall make sure that Stuart has the guests seat themselves before you come down."

Thorburn nodded and Teárlag left. He went down to Isobel's room and knocked on the door.

"You may enter," she said.

Thorburn came in and she stood up.

"You're a vision of loveliness, Lady Isobel. Are you ready? We're to go down in ten minutes."

"Aye, I'm ready. Thank you for giving me away."

"Giving you away and accepting you into the family at the same time. I'm a lucky man. Frang should consider himself lucky for winning such a gem."

"Tis the first time I've ever felt like a gem, Thorburn. It's the Cameron's made me feel this way. I bless every day you've given me apart from McTavish. I hope I can be the best wife possible to Frang. I love you all very much."

"As we love you, Isobel. You're a lovely, kind, compassionate lass with a big heart. Frang is blessed to take you as wife. I hope he treats you as well as you deserve. You come see me if he doesn't and I'll set him right."

"Thank you. I'll always remember your many kindnesses in taking me in and making me a part of your family."

He leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"I think we can go now." He gave her his arm.

******

Teárlag hurried to the great hall and informed Stuart that Thorburn would be bringing Isobel down shortly. Stuart got everyone's attention and directed them to take a seat. The guests found places to sit. Frang and Ailene stood with the priest and Stuart joined them as soon as the people were seated. It wasn't long before Thorburn and Isobel appeared at the entry to the hall. Frang caught his breath as she appeared and Ailene smiled.

"Breathe, brother" Stuart cautioned as she glided down the aisle on Thorburn's arm. "The ceremony will end quickly and ignominiously if you should faint before it's over."

Frang took a breath. "She's so beautiful," he whispered.

Stuart patted his arm.

They reached the priest and he nodded to them both. "Are you both ready?" He asked.

After receiving nods in the affirmative from both, he began the ceremony.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here in the sight of God and in the presence of these people, to witness the joining together of this man and this woman in Holy Matrimony; which is an honorable estate, instituted of God himself, signifying unto us the mystical union that is betwixt Christ and his Church; which holy estate Christ adorned and beautified with his presence, and the first miracle that he wrought, in Cana of Galilee, and is commended in Holy Writ to be honorable among all men; and therefore is not by any to be enterprised, nor taken in hand, unadvisedly, lightly, or wantonly; but reverently, discreetly, soberly, and in the fear of God, duly considering the causes for which Matrimony was ordained.

First, it was ordained for the increase of mankind according to the will of God, and that children might be brought up in the fear and nurture of the Lord, and to the praise of his holy Name.

Secondly, it was ordained in order that the natural instincts and affections, implanted by God, should be hallowed and directed aright; that those who are called of God to this holy estate, should continue therein in pureness of living.

Thirdly, it was ordained for the mutual society, help, and comfort, that the one ought to have of the other, both in prosperity and adversity.

Into which holy estate these two persons present come now to be joined.

Therefore if any one can show any just cause, why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him now speak, or else hereafter forever hold his peace."

No one spoke and the priest was about to continue when Isobel asked, "I know it is not custom, but I ask leave to speak briefly to the guests.

"You do not wish to halt the wedding?" He asked. Frang's heart leapt, afraid of what she would say next.

"Nay, on God's truth, only to speak a moment."

"Very well. As you say, it's not customary, but I'll allow it."

Isobel turned to face the congregation. She said, "I wish you all to know what a great honor it is to become part of the Cameron family. It is no mystery why Lord Thorburn gives me away, or Lady Ailene serves as my Maid of Honor, nor why I choose to marry the good man beside me. They have welcomed me from the very day we met, treating me with such kindness and compassion as our Lord, Jesus Christ, has shown. More than I have ever known before in my life, not even my own family. They are the very best people I know and I cannot be more honored than to become a member of this clan. You are blessed to know them. I only wish I'd known them for far longer than I have. Thank you for sharing this blessed day with me. Thank you." She turned and nodded to the priest signifying her finish.

The priest nodded back and continued, "I require and charge you both, as you will answer at the dreadful day of judgment when the secrets of all hearts shall be disclosed, that if either of you know of any impediment, why you may not be lawfully joined together in Matrimony, do you now confess it. For be you well assured, that so many as are coupled together otherwise than God's Holy Church doth allow are not joined together by God; neither is their Matrimony lawful in the sight of God."

"There be none," Frang answered.

"I am free of such impediments," Isobel answered.

"Please kneel." He raised his hands over them and performing the motions of the cross, said, "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all."

"And with thy spirit," they all said.

The priest read from Holy Scripture and gave a homily about the mystery of Christian marriage, the dignity of wedded love, the grace of the sacrament and the responsibilities of married people. When he was finished, he signaled them stand and join their right hands together.

"It is time for the Profession of Intention. By your words you solemnize this occasion and declare before God your intent to consecrate this union. The husband first."

"I, Frang Cameron, take this woman to be my wedded wife, to live together according to God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony. I solemnly promise I will love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, keep only unto her, so long as we both shall live."

The priest nodded to Isobel.

"I, Isobel McTavish, nee Murray, take this man to be my wedded husband, to live together according to God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony. I solemnly promise to obey him, and serve him, love, honor, and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, keep only unto him, so long as we both shall live."

"Wilt thou both, accept lovingly from God the children with which he will deign to bless you, and nurture and educate them in accordance with the law of God and of his holy Church?"

"We will," they answered.

"Who giveth this woman to be married to this man?"

"In the absence of any other family, I, Thorburn Cameron, Laird of Cameron Keep, do give this woman."

"It is time for the Exchange of Consent. Frang, if you please."

"I, Frang Cameron, take thee, Isobel McTavish, to my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse: for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law; and thereto I plight thee my troth."

The priest nodded to Isobel.

"I, Isobel McTavish, take thee, Frang Cameron, to my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse: for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love, cherish, and to obey, till death us do part, according to God's holy law; and thereto I give thee my troth."

"In the sight of God and in the presence of these people, I witness and receive the consent of this couple in the name of the Church. Do you have a ring?"

Stuart gave Frang his mother's ring which he handed to the priest.

"Bless, O Lord, this ring, and grant that he who gives it and she who shall wear it may remain faithful to each other, and abide in thy peace and favor, and live together in love until their lives' end. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

He sprinkled the rings with Holy Water and handed the ring to Frang.

"Place it on her hand, repeating after me, 'With this ring I thee wed;'"

"With this ring I thee wed."

"With my body I thee worship."

"With my body I thee worship."

"And all my worldly goods with thee I share."

"And all my worldly goods with thee I share," Frang repeated.

"In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

Frang repeated all, gazing into the eyes of his beloved Isobel. With his 'Amen' he squeezed her hand.

"Those whom God hath joined together let no man put asunder," the priest said. "Forasmuch as Frang and Isobel have consented together in holy wedlock, and have witnessed the same before God and this company, and thereto have given and pledged their troth each to the other, and have declared the same by giving and receiving of a ring, and by joining of hands; I pronounce they be man and wife together, In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

The guests proclaimed 'Amen'.

He signaled to all to kneel, waiting until they all knelt down before him.

"O eternal God, Creator and Preserver of all mankind, giver of all spiritual grace, the author of everlasting life: send thy blessing upon these thy servants, this man and this woman, whom we bless in thy Name; that, living faithfully together, they may surely perform and keep the vow and covenant betwixt them made, whereof the ring given and received is a token and pledge; and may ever remain in perfect love and peace together, and live according to thy laws; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"O Almighty God, Creator of mankind, who only art the wellspring of life; bestow upon these thy servants, if it be thy will, the gift and heritage of children; and grant that they may see their children brought up in thy faith and fear, to the honor and glory of thy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"O God, who hast so consecrated the state of Matrimony that in it is represented the spiritual marriage and unity betwixt Christ and his Church; look mercifully upon these thy servants, that they may love, honor, and cherish each other, and so live together in faithfulness and patience, in wisdom and true godliness, that their home may be a haven of blessing and of peace; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit ever, one God, world without end. Amen. Please stand."

Everyone stood and the priest continued, "The Peace of the Lord be with you always."

"And with thy spirit," all said in unison.

"You may kiss the bride."

Frang whispered, "I will never give you reason to rue this marriage," before kissing her, a touch light and soft as a feather.

Thorburn shouted, "If you can clear the room for a few minutes, we will bring in tables and begin the feast. The bride and groom will greet our guests in the courtyard in the meantime. Please stay for the food if you have time before you must leave."

Frang and Isobel went to the courtyard and started greeting the people who'd stayed for the wedding. Many of them were people who'd attended the Midsummer Festival the previous day, but Isobel was pleased to see several people from Lady Luck Farm there, including Cyrus McTeague, his wife, and several of the students she'd been instructing on fencing. Also present was Bjarkë. She was delighted to see them and asked how they were there.

"Laird Frang sent word yesterday you were to be married," Cyrus said. "He said it would be good if a dozen or so of us could be here for the ceremony, and of course I had to come and bring the missus. We arrived about five minutes before you walked into the room. You were so beautiful, lass. I'm happy for you."

"You were careful, were you not," Frang asked.

"Aye, Bjarkë and I picked out those coming and we didn't tell anyone we were leaving, just like before. Went the back and hidden ways, staying off the main path. We'll all be spending the night and traveling back with you tomorrow with a large party. Hopefully, one too large to be attacked. You'll be happy to know I've been practicing my footwork."

"Well, sadly, I may not be able to continue with your training," Isobel said. "It seems I'm with child."

Cyrus glanced at Frang. Isobel said, "We'll discus the details when we really have time to chat. I must greet the rest of our guests now, I'm afraid. Thank you so much for coming. You too, Mrs. McTeague. Perhaps we can speak later about the best way to manage your man."

Mrs. McTeague chuckled. "I doubt you'll have much trouble managing this one," she said, nodding towards Frang. "His mouth near dropped to his chest when you came through the door. I believe our young Laird is quite smitten with ye."

"You're quite right, Mrs. McTeague," Frang said. "The Laird is entirely enchanted with his new bride. Thank you for coming."

Bjarkë was next in line. He clasped Frang's arm in a steely grip. "Well done, nephew. You plucked a good one for sure."

"That I did," Frang said proudly.

"Mrs. Cameron," he said to Isobel. "Am I the first to call you that?"

"I believe you are, Bjarkë. Thank you. I'm so glad you could come."

"I'd not have missed it. Tis a pleasure to welcome you to the family. Come here, lass." He picked her up off the ground and gave her a dramatic smooch on the lips. "Here's hoping Thorburn knows how to throw a proper wedding feast. We missed the last one they had around here." He set her down. "If this lad gives you any trouble, make sure you speak to me. I'll knock a little sense into him."

"You're the second one to offer that, Bjarkë. I don't need to worry about him, do I?"

"I doubt it. But we'd disown him before we'd disown you, so he'd better treat you right."

It took about 25 minutes before they'd greeted all the company, Frang introducing her to people she had never met and she introducing people from Lady Luck he was unfamiliar with. By the time they were finished, the tables were set up and people were beginning to drift back into the great hall for the feast.

Thors_Fist
Thors_Fist
2,606 Followers