A Safe Place to Land Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mark almost fell over. "Right," he managed to squeak.

Jenni saved him by handing him his name tag.

Thankfully it was one of those magnetic kinds so he didn't have to worry about damaging the new threads. "There's no assigned seating, is there?"

"Nah, not for you, only the big donors who bought whole tables like usual. Though as past-president they'd probably let you sit at the head table if you asked."

Mark held up his hands in protest. "Hell no, those days are over. I doubt I'll even stay for the whole thing. Just long enough to eat the best meal I'll probably have this month."

"Hey!" Jenni suddenly stopped her work on the name tags. "You should find Cora and sit with her. I'm sure she'd welcome your company."

"Cora's here?" Mark was suddenly paying close attention to something besides Jenni's figure. "How is she? I mean, how is she doing?"

"As best as she can manage," Jenni looked down in obvious concern. "It's been a year, but this is really the first social event she's come out for. She rarely leaves her house except for work and weekly coffee with me."

That sounded familiar, Mark thought.

"I would like to see her and catch up," Mark said with genuine care. "I never got to offer my condolences."

Jenni reached out a hand again, laying it atop of Mark's with a gentle squeeze. "Find her," Jenni sounded almost desperate. "promise me."

"I promise, Jen," Mark shortened her name again, this time out of a sense of real connection and care for her. "It was so great to see you again."

Jenni leaned over the table and kissed his cheek. "Don't be a stranger, handsome."

Mark blushed again and broke away with a sheepish wave goodbye, forcing himself to not reciprocate that kiss.

Thankfully, the crowd had grown and he soon lost himself in the throng. He recognized many of the guests, but most of them only shook hands and quickly moved on. He was no longer someone to impress or lobby, so he didn't have to suffer through tiresome conversations with near strangers.

Nearing the tables, he spied Michelle surrounded by a group of fellow teachers. Their eyes met and she offered a warm smile. The woman oozed the sexy teacher vibe she'd always had. It wasn't a put on or purposefully provocative, it was just who she was--supremely confident and comfortable within herself. She wasn't what most men would consider gorgeous, but the way she carried herself demanded and commanded male attraction. Mark almost felt himself drawn by her gravity, but his mind was firmly set on a purpose.

He searched the room for Cora until he found her sitting alone at a table very near the back of the room. Mark's heart somersaulted at the sight, a storm of conflicting feelings churning within.

In Mark's mind, Cora was one of two women he'd desired for a long time. Jenni was the other, but his feelings for them couldn't have been much different. Yes, he found both of them incredibly sexy, and was honest enough about himself to admit that some of what he felt for them both was raw lust, but his view of Jenni was much more carnal. While he did care a great deal for Jenni, he didn't love her the same way.

Mark had fallen in love with Cora the moment he first saw her.

He was married at the time, and so was she, but he loved her all the same. Yes, his own marriage was on life support by the time they'd met but Mark stayed unwaveringly faithful. Though he worked closely with Cora while she herself had served on the school board alongside him, he'd loved her enough to never make his true feelings known lest he either ruin his friendship with her if she rejected him or destroy her marriage if she didn't.

Now here she was, a year beyond her husband's passing away from his long illness. Here she was as beautiful as ever, her long blonde hair flowing in gentle curls over her bare shoulders, her amazingly gorgeous legs flowing from a stunning cobalt blue dress, her ice blue eyes searching the room for someone, anyone who might give her a reason to be there.

Those eyes found Mark's and bloomed into a smile. She motioned him to join her and Mark found his feet moving of their own volition.

Cora stood, and she was stunning. Elegantly put together as always, but with an unfeigned sort of beauty that came naturally without flaunting or pretense. You could tell at first glance that Cora Moore was the kindest person Mark had ever known.

Then he felt himself in her arms, his body responding not with lust, but an overwhelming need to comfort her, care for her. He returned her embrace, pressing her close to his chest, both of them holding it a bit longer than they should have.

"Mark," her smooth voice sounded next to his ear, "I'm so glad you're here. You're my savior tonight."

"Hi, Cora," his own voice filled with sudden strength for her as they parted. "I'm glad you're here. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, Mark," Cora's smile grew. "Are you meeting anyone or solo tonight?"

"It's just me. I was hoping I might sit with you."

"Oh, please!" Cora's shoulders gave a little jump. "I wasn't kidding when I said you're my savior. I was thinking about leaving until I saw you. I really didn't want to come."

"I'd love to sit with you, Cora," Mark's chest grew warm in anticipation of spending the evening with her. "Here, let me help you."

Mark shuffled behind Cora and touched her chair. "Always a gentleman," she said as she sat back down while he did the old-fashioned work of minding her chair. He watched from above as she straightened her skirt and crossed her smooth legs demurely.

"I really didn't want to come either," Mark confessed as he took the chair to her left. "My friend, Trevor, badgered me into it. He says I've been becoming a hermit lately."

Cora laughed, a crystal clear sound that sounded almost happy, but more than colored with a rueful sadness that made Mark's heart hurt. "Jenni made me come. She got more than a little blunt and told me it was time to stop moping and have a life."

Mark nodded. "How are you doing, Cora? I don't want to overstep, but I want to know you're ok."

Cora froze, all traces of her smile vanishing from her face. Mark cursed at himself for making her dredge up those emotions all over again. It hurt him to think that he was somehow hurting her.

"Cora," his voice was breaking and low, "I'm sorry. I'm sure you're tired of everyone asking."

"It's ok, Mark," her smile returned a little, "I know it's because you care. I've managed to keep my head above water, though it's been the hardest thing I've ever done."

Mark grunted softly like he'd been punched, the blow delivered by her words.

"Mark," Cora frowned in concern, "what's wrong."

"I'm sorry," he said, wiping a stray tear from his eye. Where had that come from? "Something you said hit me pretty hard. I guess...I guess I didn't realize how raw my own emotions have been lately. You reminded me of a song I listened to a lot when Gwen left me, something you just said?"

"Oh?" Cora leaned forward with interest. "What song?"

"It's called 'A Safe Place to Land,'" Mark said. "It's a duet by Sara Bareilles and John Legend. I listened to a lot of her stuff when I was in my darkest days. Something about her voice comforts me, like she understands what I'm going through."

"I know her music," Cora nodded, "even sung a few of her tunes, but I don't know that one."

"You're still teaching music?"

"I took a few months off after Brad passed, but I've been working my way back up to a full week. I haven't been able to bring myself to perform again yet."

"Let me know if you do," Mark encouraged her, "I love hearing you sing."

Cora's cheeks flushed a bit. "I will. You've always been a huge support. I'm still proud of the work we did together on the board."

"Those were good days," Mark smiled.

"They were," Cora's smile returned to full bloom, "we were a great team, you and I. It's too bad life fell apart for both of us, but we'll survive. I feel like I'm almost ready to move on and be alive again. How about you, Mark? How have you been since..."

"Since Gwen left me?" Mark finished for her. "It was hard but I've done pretty well I suppose. Finding a new normal was hard, but it forced me to take a good look at myself and work to be better."

"Seems like you're doing that," Cora said. "I love the new look."

"Thanks," Mark said, "I feel like I'm finally approaching your level of style."

"Me?" Cora seemed confused.

"Yes, you," Mark smiled. "You always look so well put together, even when I've seen you in casual clothes. You always look like you've taken real care of yourself."

"It's the way I was raised," Cora shrugged. "My mother always said the way you dress is how you show you care about the world around you."

"That's a beautiful way of thinking," Mark said. "I can tell you've embraced the idea. You always look amazing."

Cora jolted in surprise at his comment, but tried to cover it. "Have you...um...been seeing anyone?"

Mark was taken aback by the sudden shift and really didn't want to talk about other women with Cora. "I, er, have done some dating here and there, yes, but I'm not seeing anyone at the moment."

He was determined to change the subject. "How about your girls? What's going on with them?"

"Rose is finishing up high school," Cora smiled. "She just turned 18, so she's ready to get on with the next stage of life. Sera's at home and attending college here in town, and she's doing extremely well. It's Emma that's been hit the hardest losing Brad. She was always the closest to him and she's struggling to make it through school."

"She's off in California, right?" Mark asked.

"Yes, so I don't get to see her often, but at least she still calls once a week or so. How about your kids?"

From there the conversation flowed and became more and more natural, more and more comfortable and familiar. They spoke of family, work, and how they've attempted to move through life after their mutual upheavals.

Mark found the time passing in a blur, his sole attention focused on Cora, drinking in the sight of her, her voice, the way she kept moving closer as the evening went on, how she often reached out to touch his hand. Other people joined them at the table but later he was never sure who they were. Dinner was delivered but he left it mostly untouched, and he noticed the same on Cora's part. It was as if the rest of the world moved completely apart from the bubble they'd unconsciously created for themselves.

Finally, the departure of their tablemates crashed in on their shared reality. The night was over and it was time to go home. The last thing Mark wanted was to leave her. Why couldn't they stay here in this moment?

"Cora," he blurted before anything else could happen and he lost her, "would you like to go out with me some time? I mean, if you're ready for something like that?"

Her mouth opened in surprise and her eyes flared open wide as if she was trying to decide whether she should run. Mark feared he'd ruined the night and pushed her too far too soon, but he had to take the chance. He had to keep this lifeline he'd discovered alive.

Cora recovered from her shock, the internal roiling of feelings pressed back under her control. "Like a date?" she finally managed to ask.

"Yes," Mark didn't dare feel relief yet, "if you'd like."

Cora stopped to think again, a moment that seemed like sand stuck in place in an hourglass.

"What are you doing tomorrow night?" she asked.

The relief came. Mark allowed himself to breathe, allowed his heart to beat again. "Well, it looks like I'm taking a beautiful woman out for dinner and dancing."

"Beautiful?" Cora was taken aback, a little breathless. "You think I'm beautiful?"

"I think you're gorgeous," Mark's voice sounded unmistakably sincere. "I always have."

Cora's face bloomed, all traces of her melancholy gone, vanished without a trace. Mark could almost feel the cage around her heart open wide, almost hear the lock she'd placed on her break free.

He stood and offered his hand. Cora took it and stood with him. "Can I walk you to your car?"

"I'd love that," Cora smiled. She picked up her purse from the back of her chair and turned toward the door. Mark placed a hand on the small of her back as they walked together, quietly making their plans for the next evening.

Neither of them saw the playful smirk on Jenni's face as they passed her.

When they reached her car, Mark took her hand and kissed it gently. "I'll pick you up at 6 o'clock," he confirmed. "I can't wait to see you again."

Cora stepped in close and kissed Mark on the cheek. "See you tomorrow, Mark. Thank you for being my savior tonight."

"Good night, Cora."

Mark stood there and watched her start up the car and drive away, returning her wave as she pulled away.

It was several long minutes before he moved to his own car. Once he made it there and got it started, he continued to sit in stunned silence.

"Don't fuck this up, Mark," he told himself just before making his own way home. "Don't fuck this up."

-----

As Cora drove home, her mind was a storm of thoughts, her heart churning with feelings she couldn't identify because it had been so long since she'd felt them. Overwhelmed, they were almost too much to bear. She was drowning and struggled to keep her head above water.

Then she had a thought, a memory from earlier in the night.

"Sara Bareilles, huh?" she whispered out loud. "What was that song?"

Thinking for a moment, she said louder, "Siri, play 'A Safe Place' by Sara Bareilles."

Moments later the soft piano and soulful voices of Sara and John Legend filled her car. Immediately, Cora was pierced to the heart, and at the words "the ocean is wild and over your head," the tears started to flow uncontrollably. Cora was forced to turn into a parking lot because she could no longer see to drive.

Without thought, driven by a heart yearning to feel again, striving to work beyond the anger and despair and loss of the previous year, her fingers tapped repeat to play the song again. And again. And again.

By the fifth time through, Cora has relived every memory, every thought, every feeling, every dead desire of the last year. Finally, latching on to the lyrics at the end of the song, she let them fill her soul to the brim.

Be the hand of a hopeful stranger

Little scared but you're strong enough

Be the light in the dark of this danger

'Til the sun comes up

"Mark,"she whispered in the quiet of the car as the last notes of the song faded away.

Cora's sun rose over the horizon of her loss, it's rays piercing through the clouds of her grief.

12