A Second Chance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Molly prepared a mean bowl of cereal and scrambled eggs with bacon. She had managed to dominate the chickens after that first day. She still nursed several pecks on her hands, and her fingernails were a thing of the past, but she didn't give up, and the squawking had faded to a minimum.

"We could go grocery shopping," Molly suggested after Red left.

"No reason to grocery-shop today," he said twisting the mouth at the idea. "I need to go to town tomorrow and get these casted." He held up his arms. "You can shop then."

"Okay."

The next day, Molly drove John to the hospital and ushered him into the waiting room of the orthopedic surgeon, located in an office building attached to the hospital. Since John had the first appointment of the day, the waiting room was deserted. Molly checked him in, filling out the forms, after asking him the questions.

"You don't need me here, do you?" she asked biting her lower lip.

John shook his head. "It's not like you can hold my hand." He wiggled his splints and winked.

Molly smiled. At that moment, John looked exactly like the young boy she'd been unable to resist. In some ways, John was different, so remote and solemn she couldn't fathom her continued attraction; then he would say or do something that reminded her of every single reason she had adored him.

Temptation beckoned once more. She could stay, help him pick out colors for his casts, pretend to be his wife, and continue to be seduced by everything she had put behind her. Or she could do what was best for them both.

"I want to go to the inn to check how Laura and Percy are doing. Then I'll run some errands."

"Okay. Take your time"

Two hours later, Molly picked John up at the doctor's office and stuffed him back into her car.

"Modern medicine is unbelievable." John admired his shiny new casts. "You know with these I can take a shower, go swimming, and even wash a cow if I want to."

"And why would you want to?"

He grinned and asked, "Because they're there?"

She didn't smile. She didn't even roll her eyes. She had other things on her mind. In fact, she was lost in her own thoughts, but John was too excited about modern medicine to notice at the moment.

"You remember what casts used to be like? Heavy and white. You couldn't do a damn thing when you had one on."

"Which might have been the point."

He ignored her, holding his arms out in front of him and turning them from here to there, while he muttered, "Amazing!"

***

Some days later, Red and John walked into the kitchen, but Molly wasn't there as usual.

"Where is Molly?" Red asked his father. "Did she oversleep again?"

"No, she had an appointment with the Ladies doctor."

"Ladies doctor? Did you knock her up or something?" Red asked with a grin.

"Of course not! What kind of man do you think I am?" John retorted, sounding peeved.

"A healthy man with a healthy sex drive, who haven't got laid in several years?" Red shot back.

"Molly is a lady, not some cheap slut like your mother."

Red raised his eyebrows at his father's outburst. "I'll make breakfast."

John regretted his words immediately after sprouting them. "Sorry, Son. That was completely uncalled-for."

Red placed a hand on his father's shoulder. "No offense taken, Dad. I know how you feel about Mom, even after all these years. I didn't go easy on her either."

John just nodded, and then asked Red out of the blue, "Did you talk with your mother about what she did?"

Red scratched the back of his head. This was so like his dad. No beating around the bush. Straight to the point. He was sure his father had been intending to ask him this question since he met with his mother years ago.

"Yes, Dad. The subject did come up."

Red didn't say anything else and kept making breakfast in silence.

"And? What did she have to say about what she did? Did she offer you some explanation for her cheating? I read that a lot of people who have been cheated on by their spouse, want to know why. It's something that is just there and lingers," John's words came out rushed and anxious. Part of him had been dreading to know the answer.

Red took a moment to order his thoughts, and when he finally spoke, he chose his words carefully, "The first word that came out from mom's mouth was selfishness. She said she was selfish. She only thought about herself."

John nodded, pressing his lips together.

"She never blamed you for anything. She said she wasn't made to live on a farm. She always hated it. She said she got married to you too young and found herself being a wife and mother, and not being ready for either of those roles. So, when this... man offered her a way out, she took it," Red kept explaining. He could see his father's tension disappearing from his body.

"So, she never loved him?" John asked a bit puzzled.

"I think mom loved herself more than she loved anyone else. Her needs came first ahead of yours, mine, or that guy she cheated with. I asked her if she loved you and she confessed that she did to a certain degree, but not as you deserved."

John moved his head up and down slowly.

"Thank you, Red. You gave me a lot to think about."

Molly came back some hours later. She changed into her new overalls and rolled the sleeves of her shirt up to just below her elbows. She looked like a true farm woman.

John was in the kitchen using a paper towel to mop up spilled milk. She joined John and helped him to clean.

"What were you trying to do when you spilled the milk?"

"Make cereal." John wiggled his casted arms. "The sturdiness of the casts enables me to accomplish more with my fingers. But they don't quite work like they used to, and when I picked up the milk..." he shrugged. "I dropped it."

"Why did you bother?"

"Because I was hungry?"

"You could have waited for me. After all, that's why I'm here."

"Figured you would be tired. You went out early today," John said.

"I went to the doctor, and then visited the inn," Molly eyed his milk-sopped shirt. "First things first. Let's get this off."

She reached for the buttons.

"It's all right, Molly."

"You spilled milk, John. Even I know that in a few hours you're going to smell like unwashed feet."

He raised a brow. "You smell a lot of feet?"

"Not if I can help it."

His reluctant smile charmed her. This version of John might be different, but his smile could still reach into her heart and squeeze just a little.

John glanced at the clock above the sink. He was exhausted, and it wasn't even noon. Most days he'd have milked over a hundred cows; then, depending on the season, plowed, planted or picked corn, barley or hay, and all before lunch. He always had been so full of energy he made everyone else tired.

"Do you feel like taking a walk?" John asked Molly when they finished having breakfast. "I'm about to lose my mind if I just stay seated here all day long."

"We are invited to a party this evening," Molly said.

"We are?"

"Kat called me to remind me about Red Junior's first birthday."

"Oh my God! I forgot it was today," John exclaimed. "We need to buy him a present."

"Red didn't remind you about the party?" Molly asked John.

John shook his head.

"He must have forgotten. We talked about other things."

Molly looked at John waiting to see if he wanted to add something more, but he didn't.

"I'm looking forward to wearing something else besides these overalls," Molly said.

"You look great in any clothes you wear, Molly," John stood up and walked to the door. "Let's take a walk and think together about the present,"

"Good idea, it's a bit hot in here," she muttered, yanking at the collar of her blouse.

Her blouse was made of light cotton. John frowned. The Molly he remembered was always cold. He'd spent many enjoyable hours warming her up.

Her cheeks were flushed. He might have no idea what was the matter with Molly, but she was still the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen.

Molly followed John out the back door. They strolled down the gravel lane, which curved past the barn and headed up to the main road.

Even though the weather wasn't the best, damp, cool, and gray, John always felt better outside. Inside the house, he felt trapped. Walking his land brought him peace. There were so many things to see, so much to be done, so many animals both domestic and wild, that John was never truly alone.

He took a deep breath. Sure, he smelled manure. But to him, that just meant he was home.

"Kat told me to drop in around four," Molly said. "I'll help you get dressed around three. That will give us enough time to get a present for the baby. I was thinking about a memory book."

John nodded. "Great idea. I have one those."

They walked side by side, not speaking but comfortable in the silence.

They turned left at the end of the road until they were under the cover of a row of tall yew trees, trunks gnarled, branches twisted. The seeds and needles carpeted the ground beneath them.

"I think I never thanked you properly for doing this for me, Molly. I truly appreciate it. I know I'm not an easy person to live with."

"You're welcome, John. It's my pleasure."

CHAPTER 11

Red Junior's first-year birthday party was a very intimate event. Family and friends were gathered in the backyard of The Jammed.

Everyone was eating, drinking, talking, and joking, and the atmosphere was very relaxed. The cake, which was red, white and blue, was mounted on a little decorated table.

At some point, the birthday boy was put behind the table to be photographed with different sets of adult friends and relatives.

When the photo session was finished, everyone gathered around the birthday cake, lighted the candles, and sang "Happy birthday" to Red Junior. He had been all dressed up for the occasion and he was wearing a party hat.

Finally, Kat was able to relax and sat down with her friends holding a sleeping birthday boy in her arms. Laura and Mary were sitting at her sides cuddling their baby girls. Mary's daughter, Sabrina, was chatting with Tony, the chef of the restaurant.

"We tried to keep the party small," Kat explained to her friends. "I read on the internet that a room too crowded, even with familiar faces, may overwhelm a baby."

Laura and Mary nodded. The three mothers shared information about how to raise their children.

"Seems baby Red is going to have two gorgeous ladies fighting for his love when he grows up," Kat joked. "Both girls are gorgeous."

"Thank you, Kat," Laura smiled at her friend, "Lily is a true blessing!"

"Maggie is an angel too. Nothing like Sabrina was," Mary added smiling at her sleeping daughter.

"How are things going between Molly and John," Laura asked Kat.

"Getting information out of my husband is harder than breaking into Fort Knox," Kat told both women with a frustrated expression. "It seems things are not working as expected. I thought that once Molly and John were living under the same roof, things between them would progress, but apparently, they have not. He had friend-zoned her."

"How come?" Mary asked.

"Well, John doesn't let Molly dress him or undress him, so Red is the one who's helping John to change and shower," Kat explained.

"Do you think he is not comfortable having Molly around?" Mary enquired again.

"I think it's actually the opposite. He is afraid of feeling too comfortable with her. After all, it has been a long time since John was with a woman," Kat shared with her friends in whispers.

Mary and Laura nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, it must be hard for John, having Molly around," Laura added with a sassy smile. "Pun intended."

The three women laughed.

"I don't know what to do to bring those two together," Kat exclaimed letting out a long sigh.

"Well, I've prepared something for today," Laura said with a wicked smile.

Kat frowned. "Careful, Laura, I don't want anything to ruin my son's birthday party."

"It won't," Laura reassured Kat, and then muttered, "At least, I hope not."

At that moment, a tall handsome man approached Molly and John's table, as if he was waiting for his cue.

"Good evening, my name is Jack. Nice to meet you."

"I am Molly, nice to meet you too."

"I am John," he grunted eyeing the man standing in front of them.

"Are you two together?" Jack asked Molly.

"Yes..." John said.

"No, we are not," Molly corrected him. "We are just friends."

"In that case, would you do me the honor of joining me for a dance, Molly?" Jack asked offering his hand.

Molly just bit her lip, not sure what to do or say.

"I don't know...," she looked at John and he just shrugged and looked away.

"Okay, Jack. Let's dance."

Molly's eyes slid to John as they reached the dance floor, but she looked quickly away. If looks could kill, she and Jack would be corpses on the floor. Molly pulled back slightly when Jack held her tightly to his chest.

"Sorry, but John is watching," she muttered apologetically.

"I'm well aware of that," Jack winked at her. "Probably, I shouldn't have invited you to dance, but I couldn't resist when I saw you in this dress. You look gorgeous."

Molly flushed and glanced away, whispering, "Thank you, Jack."

"I can tell you haven't had anyone's hands on you for a while," Jack said conversationally. "You're as tense as a cat over water."

Molly grew tenser as Jack's hands moved to clasp her waist.

"Sorry," Molly muttered.

"It's quite alright."

They danced around to the sound of the music, making small talk. At their side, Tony was having a ball dancing with Sabrina. Very soon Molly relaxed, and they chatted and laughed. Jack was a charming man who always wore a smile.

Molly made an effort to keep her eyes on Jack. She didn't want to see John staring at her. Even so, she could feel his eyes burning holes into the back of her head.

Laura and Kat hurried to sit at John's side.

"Molly appears to have made a friend in this Jack guy," Kat commented to Laura watching the couple dance. "He dances very well."

"Hmmpfff," John exclaimed. "He looks like a smooth talker. Who invited this creep?"

Kat raised her eyebrows at his testy voice and eyed John silently.

"I did. He is Percy's main supplier. He's staying at the inn for a couple of days," Laura explained John. "I think Jack and Molly make a nice couple, what do you think?"

John just growled again.

"You're jealous, Dad, admit it," Kat stated, she placed her hand on John's arm and squeezed it gently.

That accusation from his daughter-in-law made him glance at her sharply with surprise. It was true. Jealousy had positively devoured him when Jack had put his arm around Molly. It was still eating at him like acid. The fact that Molly seemed to be having a good time with that moron just made it worse.

John would have wanted to wring Jack's neck, and he probably would have if he could use his hands. No man should touch Molly like that.

No man except him.

John forced himself to relax, but he could barely contain himself. That man was entirely too comfortable touching his woman.

Molly hadn't protested it either, he thought grimly. But then, she had no idea yet that she was his. She probably believed that John wanted her just as a friend.

"Have you told Molly how you feel about her, Dad?" Kat whispered in John's ear.

John glanced at his daughter-in-law at that soft question and then turned back to look at Molly. He shook his head slowly.

"Dad, you're afraid to open up because of what happened to you. I get it. You hide your feelings because you are afraid to be hurt again," Kat pointed out to her father-in-law. "I know what I'm talking about, Dad. I've been there. Trust me. It wasn't easy for me to let Red into my heart"

John grunted, but Kat could tell her father-in-law was listening carefully, now.

"You built a wall around yourself to protect your heart. At some point, you have to open up and allow that wall to come down."

John nodded, his eyes fixed on Molly and Jack.

"Opening up your heart is hard because you are letting people see your vulnerable side," Kat leaned her head on John's shoulder and whispered, "Making yourself vulnerable is never a sign of weakness, rather it means strength and authenticity."

Jack pulled Molly closer in a tight embrace, and John ground his teeth together, and once again considered wringing Jack's neck.

John knew what the man was doing. He hadn't missed how Molly had stiffened up and looked uncomfortable the first time Jack touched her. The man had obviously set out to get her used to his touching, by doing so in a nonsexual and non-threatening way as much as possible.

"Go and get her, Dad," Kat whispered, giving her father-in-law a gently push in the back.

Molly turned her head to glance back at John, but couldn't find him, and then gave a squeak of surprise as she found a wide black mass beside her. She raised her head to see him glowering down at her.

Kat elbowed Laura, and she elbowed Mary. The three women were watching the scene with a mix of awe and fear.

"If you can manage to tear yourself out of Jack's busy hands for a moment, I'd appreciate a word with you," he said coldly. His narrowed eyes were locked on Jack's face and his expression wasn't friendly.

"Right," Jack said wryly, but then frowned. "Will you be alright?"

Molly's mouth dropped open. She felt John tense behind her, and then she snapped her mouth closed and muttered to Jack, "Yes, I will. Thank you for the dance. I enjoyed it"

"It was my pleasure," Jack assured her, then he kissed Molly's hand and left.

Sighing at the testosterone suddenly flying around her, Molly caught John's arm and dragged him back to their chairs. All three girls had suddenly vanished. Pausing there, Molly turned and scowled at John, "First off, that was rude."

John snorted. "Rude? He was all over you," John roared. "Or didn't you notice where his hands were going?"

"Yes, I did. So what? It's not like we have something going, is it?" Molly paused and then shook her head.

Molly took a seat, and John sat at her side.

"You seemed to be having fun," somehow John made it sound like an accusation. If Molly noticed it, she chose to ignore it.

"I was," Molly grabbed a glass of Coke and drank half of it in one long gulp, "until you interrupted us."

"Did he invite you out?"

Molly looked at John. "I don't know how this is your business, but if you need to know, yes, he did," Molly paused. "There's nothing wrong with my accepting, and maybe letting him kiss me to see how it goes."

Molly was enjoying pulling John's chain.

When John stared at her, his face turned to stone, Molly said firmly, "Jack is a nice guy, and I enjoyed dancing with him. It's nice to be with a man who doesn't mind if I touch him."

Of course, Molly knew what Jack had been doing. She was also positive Laura had something to do with it. It was cute how jealous John was.

Jack approached their table, pulled out a chair next to Molly, and sat down.

"Is everything okay, Molly?" Jack asked with impeccable manners.

"Hmpffff," John grunted.

"Yes, Jack. Thank you for checking on me," Molly placed a hand on Jack's arm.

He smiled at Molly.

Molly chatted away with Jack, ignoring John's rude glares. The whole time, she was silently wishing Jack would leave. He was a nice guy, but the whole situation was beyond nerve-racking.

At some point, Jack excused himself and went back to his table.

"I'll call you, Molly," he said before leaving.

She just nodded absent-mindedly.

Molly studied John's face and said, "You look tired, John."

"Maybe a little," he conceded.

"Are you sure you don't have a fever? Your face is red."

Molly leaned forward to place a hand on his forehead. Her face was only inches from John's lips.

She was driving him crazy. John caught the scent of her perfume as the movement lifted tendrils of her hair. John's resistance shattered. He lost any semblance of control and kissed her. It wasn't a soft innocent kiss, but a passionate one. He nearly devoured her alive.