A Sentimental Heart Ch. 02-03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers

"Right I'll see you both on Monday... have a good time at your concert -- you both deserve a bit of fun."

He ushered Amanda from the room, pausing only long enough to dump Miranda's files in the out tray, as he passed, and Peter looked a little longingly at Amanda's departing back.

Miranda busied herself with tidying her desk up and shutting down her computer.

"Shall we go then?" she asked quietly as the room seemed to fall deathly silent and to suddenly feel very forlorn without Amanda's vibrancy and Marcus's sheer presence.

**

It was a pleasant evening, but Miranda knew that once out on the grassy slope, with the sun going down, it would quickly feel quite cool.

She dressed in her fitted denim jeans, along with a pretty little blouse, and carried her padded jacket over her arm for the moment.

She was busy making up their little back packs, when Peter came into the kitchen.

"All set?" he asked with a cheerful smile.

"Yep... I've just finished." She held out his bag and Peter took it with a little laugh.

"I can't believe we still use these same bags!"

Miranda grinned at him. "Well they do only get used once a year; and they are absolutely perfect for our needs."

She slipped her bag onto her shoulders, even as Peter did the same with his.

"Shall we go then?" he asked lightly.

"Absolutely!" Miranda smiled, as the two of them left there little home and began the walk down to the park in question.

It was a pleasant walk, the sun was low at their backs, and the walk was all downhill.

It took them about half an hour, to get to the main entrance, where cars were slowly pulling into the car park, there were a lot of people on foot too, with bags and blankets and children.

The entrance was a narrow path running parallel with the car park; but which sloped up onto a wide bridge, which led them across the river and onto the grassy bank which led them to the open park.

It was packed with people, and it soon became apparent that some had come much earlier in the day, and had made a day of it.

"Miranda!"

A light female voice could be heard over the general chatter of the crowd, and both Miranda and Peter turned back to look.

"Amanda!" Peter called out, since he could see better over the mass of people.

Miranda couldn't see anything so she simply waited patiently trying not to be jostled by the crowd.

"Hello again."

The rich masculine voice sounding so close and so intimate sent a little shiver down Miranda spine.

"Good evening... Mr Phillips." She tried so hard to sound calm and casual, but she simply could not keep the huskiness from her voice or the surprised pleasure from her face, as she looked up at her boss.

Marcus Phillips frowned down at her slightly. "I seem to recall asking you to call me Marcus at some time or another..."

Miranda smiled up at him a little awkwardly. "Yes you did, but that was before I became your employee, and so I think that the situation has changed somewhat."

"We're not at work now..."

"Marcus!" Amanda called across to them. "Peter was just telling me that they usually have some things going off on the far side of the park..." she grinned charmingly at Miranda. "You don't mind if I steal your brother away for a little while; do you Miranda?"

Miranda laughed lightly. "No not at all... Peter will show you everything there is to see; I'm sure of it; go on and have a good time -- I'll be fine!" she reassured them lightly.

"You can keep Marcus company for me... he really didn't want to come, but I dragged him along anyway." Amanda gave her a little wave as she slipped her arm through Peter's so that he could lead her away.

They watched as Peter and Amanda wandered off together, and Miranda sought desperately for something to talk about; unfortunately her mind went blank.

"So tell me Miranda," Marcus said softly. "Do you still like to sit and cry over the old movies?"

She blushed as she remembered their first meeting. "Yes I do;" she nodded, "what a strange and unfortunate thing for you to remember."

He allowed his gaze to drift away from hers as he stared thoughtfully into the crowd. "Yes it is, isn't it?" he murmured softly. His eyes fixed on hers suddenly and she stepped back.

"Can I buy you a cup of coffee?" he offered as he held his hand out to her.

"Thank you... that would be nice." She wasn't sure what she was supposed to do with his hand so she waited for some sort of indication.

He didn't indicate; he just took her hand in his and held on firmly. "So we don't lose each other in the crowds," he explained.

Miranda doubted very much if HE could ever be lost in a crowd, but she wasn't going to argue about it. His hand felt large and warm and comforting as he wrapped it around hers, but she was certain he could feel the little static charges they were igniting between them.

It was almost a relief when he had to let go so as to get the two cups of coffee off the vendor. He handed one to her and sipped at his own. The crowd was starting to jostle a little so Miranda leaned into him slightly. "Shall we go and sit down somewhere?" she asked at his look of surprise.

"Where did you have in mind? The grass is probably still a little damp."

She didn't bother to answer at first just moved away towards the slope where people were beginning to gather.

Half way up she turned and held her cup out to him. "If you could just hold that for me?" she asked as he took it automatically from her.

She shrugged the small backpack of her shoulders and opened it. Inside she had a small rug which she unrolled and sat down on.

Marcus grinned as he handed her back her cup and sat down next to her.

"Just enough room for two," he laughed lightly.

The rug wasn't so very big and so they had to sit very close together.

"What was Peter going to sit on?" he asked her curiously.

"Oh he's got his own bag with a similar rug inside. They are meant for when you are gardening, to kneel on. But we save them especially for this." She swept her arm around her - indicating the venue.

"So you come regular then?"

"Every year without fail," she nodded with a small smile. "What about you? Have you never been before?"

Marcus shook his head regretfully. "Oh I'd heard about it of course, but I never really thought about what it was... and of course half of the thing about events like this, is the sharing it with someone."

"I suppose so," Miranda said vaguely although she didn't agree with this last comment.

"You disagree?" he laughed lightly, easily reading her thoughts.

"Well, I've never had anyone to share it with, but it has never stopped me from coming," she argued with an apologetic smile.

"Not even Peter?"

"Peter is my brother. Yes we come here together and we always leave together, but we usually split up as soon as he sees a pretty face!" she told him with a little laugh.

"How on earth will he find you in this crowd?" Marcus asked sceptically.

"Oh, he knows that I'll be sitting on the slope around about here so he'll come looking for me just before the fireworks start up. Nearly everyone will be sitting down at that point so it'll be easier for us to spot each other then."

As the orchestra started up for the second part of the show the crowd did indeed settle down; and it seemed the most natural thing in the world for Marcus to put his arm around her and for her to lean her head on his shoulder. She gave a contented little sigh as they sat and listened to the wonderful music as it soared out to them... The sun slowly set, and darkness enveloped them.

"Not long now," she murmured regretfully some time later.

The evening along with the music was reaching its climax and sure enough the sky was suddenly lit up as the fireworks burst into life just on the other side of the river.

The fireworks didn't last very long and then suddenly all was silent.

"Ladies and gentlemen; thank you for coming tonight!" The voice over the speaker filled the silence. "Please be careful as you leave, as it is very dark in places. Anyone who has a torch with them would be advised to use it."

Miranda rummaged around in her bag again and pulled out a torch triumphantly. They stood up and she rolled the rug up again and slipped it back into her bag, she pulled on her padded jacket, and then she pulled her little backpack onto her shoulders and switched on her torch.

"So, were you just going to abandon me to the crowd?" Marcus laughed as he grabbed hold of her hand again.

She smiled up at him as they mingled with the crowd. "No of course not, I was just trying to sort myself out."

They trudged along with the crowd, with Miranda lighting the path for them and Marcus's strong hand making her feel warm and safe. They had just walked over the bridge when Marcus's mobile started to ring.

"Hi Amanda... yes, alright... see you later." He was smiling as he put his phone back in his pocket.

"Is everything alright?" Miranda asked a little nervously certain of what was coming next.

"Yes... your Peter is taking Amanda for a drink and something to eat and then he'll take her home." He paused as he looked down at her, his silver grey eyes bright with amusement. "He asks if I would mind dropping you off on my way."

"Oh that won't be necessary." She cut in quickly. "Look there's a bus stop there and the bus will drop me off right outside our house." It was a slight exaggeration, but he didn't need to know that.

"On a Sunday night? Tell me... how often do the buses run on a Sunday night?" he asked sceptically.

"I've absolutely no idea." She shrugged her shoulders and laughed at the ridiculous situation she was creating. She looked up at him and smiled shyly. "If you wouldn't mind dropping me off on your way I would really appreciate that."

"Excellent!" He took her arm and started walking across to the car park. "I'm parked just over there."

It was a cool evening; and even with her padded jacket she felt the chill; but Miranda almost wished he'd not brought his car, so that they would have to walk, stretching the evening out a little more.

"I nearly didn't bother bringing the car." He echoed her thoughts almost exactly, with a little regret colouring his voice.

The car park was jammed full and the traffic was moving slowly. He unlocked his car and helped her inside before walking around and climbing into the driver's seat. "I'm afraid that we're going to be stuck here for a little while." He told her, although HE seemed quite happy about that.

"That's alright; I'm not in any great hurry to get home." She glanced across at him as he looked out at the slow moving traffic.

"Have you got anything else in that bag of tricks of yours?" He asked her carelessly as he turned to look at her.

Miranda opened her bag and pulled out a flask of hot coffee. "Just this," she told him with a guilty little blush, as she thought of the coffee she had allowed him to buy for her earlier.

Marcus grinned at her knowingly but held back the comment, which sprang to his mind. "Do you have a spare cup as well; or will we need to share?"

"Oh you always get two cups with these types of flasks." She nodded and the smile hovered constantly around her mouth.

'For heaven's sake get a grip!' she told herself a little impatiently; 'you're a grown woman, so start to act like it... otherwise he'll think you're a bit on the edge or something worse.'

She unscrewed the flask and handed the top large cup to him and then gave him the slightly smaller cup as well. "Here you hold the cups while I pour it out," she instructed him firmly.

"Yes mum." He mocked her bossy tone.

"Oh do keep still!" she begged, "otherwise I'll spill it on you, and it is quite hot you know?"

He laughed at her again but his hands stayed rock steady as she carefully poured the coffee into the cups.

As they sat there quietly sipping, the cars around them began to break up as less and less vehicles were left. It seemed that once things got moving the car park emptied quite rapidly; and before long they were the only ones still parked there.

"It'll be mayhem out there on the first few roads so I can't see the point of moving too soon," he told her thoughtfully.

"It always is," Miranda agreed with a nod. "We are able to walk down and walk back, so I suppose that we're lucky like that."

"You live quite close then?"

"About half an hour walk, and all uphill going back; but it's worth it," she said quietly.

"Next year I'll have to park at yours, and then I can walk down and back with the two of you."

"So you enjoyed it then?" she beamed across at him. "Oh I'm so glad!"

"I can tell you honestly; that I can't remember the last time I enjoyed myself so much."

Miranda looked at him sharply, convinced that he was mocking her in some way. But as she met his eyes all she could see was a burning sincerity in his.

"Have things been so bad for you?" she asked softly, knowing that she was treading on dangerous ground - getting personal with him.

To her surprise he didn't move away or tell her to mind her own business or anything like that. He ran a hand through his hair and gave a deep tired sounding sigh; he looked out sightlessly into the empty car park.

"Not bad... just... empty, I suppose is the word." He looked across at her sitting silent and still; but he didn't seem to be seeing her at that moment. "I'd let work consume me for so long, that when I finally stopped and looked around me; it was to find that there was no one there anymore." He was almost talking to himself and Miranda had to bite her lip so as not to interrupt.

She wanted so badly to cry out and tell him that she was there, that she would always be there waiting for him to notice her.

"All of my friends," he smiled ruefully. "Both male and female, they'd all gotten fed up of waiting for me to look up, and they had moved on with their lives."

"Surely they still had room for you though?" she couldn't resist asking.

"It was..." he paused for a moment. "It was complicated," he finally said with a hint of bitterness.

"Oh?"

He looked at her as he came back to the here and now, and smiled cynically. "God you're pushy!" he told her mock severely.

"Sorry... I don't mean to be!" she replied anxiously. "It's always been a bit of a problem for me... getting involved in other people's problems... I'm dead nosey like that, you should just tell me to mind my own business!"

"No! Don't be sorry, and you're not nosey, it's nice that you are interested in people. I like it that you care about me and how I might be feeling." He looked down at his hands for a moment, and then smiled warmly at her. "It's been a long time since any one has shown any concern for me... don't ever be sorry for caring Miranda!"

He seemed to move closer to her and something in the way he looked at her, caused Miranda's heartbeat to flutter in panic. "Do you think that we should get moving now?"

Marcus hesitated, he suddenly felt this overwhelming urge to... just shut out the world, the expectations, the responsibilities... to lock himself away with this amazing woman, and forget about everything else.

He looked across at her, his silver grey eyes dark with longing, and moved closer...

totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers
12