A Simple Life Ch. 01-10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Brayden..."

"Yeah?"

"Nothin."

I put on my shiny black work shoes, slip into a light jacket, and grab my helmet. I am about to leave when my soft heart stops me. I pop my head back into the living room where my roommate still sat slumped in the exact position as when I'd walked in. "Hey. I'm...I'm sorry you lost your job Brayden."

"Pfff." He scoffs. "Better off without it. Fuckin bitch Lily."

"I hope your day gets better."

"I don't see how."

"Sometimes good things happen when you least expect it."

"Ha! Sure Avie, whatever you say."

"I-I'll see you later."

"Yep, see ya." At last he moves, leaning forward so that he could concentrate on a difficult opponent. "Come on you fucker, let's do this." An instant later. "FUCK! Fuckin dude's got hacks! There's no way he could have..."

I leave my roommate cursing and head off for work.

***

Chapter 9

My day takes another annoying turn as I arrive at work to find out that I had been rescheduled tomorrow to work the morning instead of the afternoon thanks to someone calling in sick.

"You know I wouldn't give you the turnaround if I could help it." My manager Brenda tells me. When I, as I always do, agree to the last minute change she is all smiles. "You are a lifesaver Avery. I won't forget this." I'd heard that before.

While not happy about it nothing was going to spoil my good mood today. With an extra pep in my step and a cheerful note in my voice I breeze through my closing shift. To my surprise I sleep like a rock that night. No tossing and turning, no bad dreams, no sweats or terrors, nothing! Just a rock solid six and half hours of oblivious slumber before my alarm rouses me again. I felt like a million bucks. A shower, shave, and a good grooming later and I am on my way straight back to the store again for opening in much the same mood.

The hung over cashier gripes about my morning cheerfulness but I just giggle and go about my work. It is about noon when my mind irresistibly is drawn into the thing it had been orbiting all morning. Winona. What prompted this return was the women's nylons that I was hanging on the rack. I always enjoyed stocking these items and my mind always wandered when I did so. The stockinged legs, all smooth and silky and posed so nicely, looked so pretty and so sexy. Taking the next one from the box my fingers brush the long shapely legs on the package. I smile as I think back to how Winona had held that lovely sleeveless dress up against me to see how I looked in it. She told me I looked good. She said that blue was my color. That the dress made my eyes pop. Pa-pow! She had said. I liked how she said that. I giggle at the naughty thoughts burbling up in my mind. Was she only speaking about the color, or was it the fine feminine garment that she thought looked so good on me? What would she say...if she saw me in these?

"Hey pussy." Comes a blunt voice.

I drop the nylons and scramble to pick it up again. I turn to see a familiar burly bearded man with hair the same color as mine. "J-Jack! Wh-what are you d-d-doing here?"

"Duh-duh-duh." My eldest brother mocks my stutter. "Shopping." He motions to this cart. "What do you think dummy?"

"Right." I say, focusing extra hard to control my vocal tick. "Of course."

He looks at what is in my hands and lets out a laugh that echoes through the store. Immediately I blush as I knew why he was laughing. With my eyes I plead with him not to go there, but of course he does. He couldn't help himself. "Maybe those'll fit you better than Mom's, eh? Ha ha ha!"

My face burns as I turn away from him and hang the nylons on the peg. "I'm just stocking them. It's my j-j...rrrr...It's my job!"

"Probably the best part of this shitty job, eh?" He elbows me. "You try them on sometimes in the back? I bet you do."

"No!" I stew then try to ignore him and carry on stocking.

When I was a teen he and Joshua, the middle brother, had come home early from school to catch me wearing Mom's nylons, panties and bra. It was the only time I'd done it but I had never lived it down since. Their cruelty that day stood out as the worst of a very long list of things they had ever done to me. Taping my arms tight to my sides so that I could not move them they tossed me out in the front yard and went back inside, locking the door behind them. They laughed at me through the front window as I struggled to get to my feet. They laughed even harder when a few of the neighbor kids walked by and saw me. I hid tucked away in a bush for over an hour before my sister got home from college and freed me, not without a few chuckles of her own though. But the worst part...I got into as much trouble as they did after Mom got home from work.

Not even my great morning the day before could save me from the wretched feelings washing over me now. I knew that Jack thought that he was just being funny. But it wasn't funny to me. It was no use. I couldn't ignore him. Angrily I grab the cart of stock and make for the store room. I wanted to get off of the floor and find a place to hide before I did or said something stupid. Or, more likely, cried like a little bitch.

"Hold on Avie." Jack stops me. "Lauren and I are having a get together tomorrow. Barbecue, some tunes, watch the game at the end. I'm picking up snacks for it now. You and Kayla should come by. We'd love to see you."

"I-I-I'll think about it."

"I know you. That means no." He steps in. I flinch as he reaches for me, thankfully he was only patting my back. "Come on. Get out of your shell little brother. Live a little. Come mingle and make some friends."

"We'll see."

"Yeah right." He says. "Come on. Lauren says that she never sees you. It's like you're trying to cut us out of your life or something." He gives me a shake. "Bring Kayla. We'll talk you up buddy. Get you right back in there with her." He chuckles. "How you ever let that sweet piece of chocolate friend-zone you like that I'll never know."

"She's my f-friend." I whisper. "We're friends. That's it."

"You are such a pussy." He nudges me. "Speaking of Kayla. Remember that dike she went out with after you."

The blood rushes from my face. I felt as if I were falling. "Yeah?"

"She's back in town." He says. "She's up at the old garage I hear. Her and her busted ass old truck. I guess her Dad somehow weaseled them back onto the island." He leans in. "They're letting anybody in nowadays. You know what I mean?" He says that last part in a low voice so it doesn't carry too far. "So you better grab Kayla before she slips in there again. Come on Avie, it'll be fun. Anytime after noon is cool."

I turn back toward my brother, my fists clenched at my sides. "I don't want to come to your p-p-p-..." I snort in frustration. "...your party!"

"Okay, geez. Don't blow a gasket Avie. Just don't say I never did anything nice for ya."

"You're not nice!" I seethe. "Lauren's nice but you're not nice at all! You're n-nasty!" He looks stunned at my outburst, not half as stunned as I was though. Letting my anger carry me I continue. "That woman's name is Winona and she is a very nice lady."

"A lady!?" He scoffs. "A dog lady maybe. Woof!"

"D-d-d-d-don't y-y-you...!"

"Duh-duh-duh."

With a mind of its own my right fist swings. With all of my strength I let loose the very first punch I had ever thrown in anger. It's target, the side of my big brother's fat, ugly, empty head. Unfortunately, Jack being the natural fighter and ruffian that he was, traits that he inherited from our biological father, instinctively pulls his head back so that my fist whiffs by harmlessly in front of him. He looks at me in disbelief.

"Avie! Did you just...?"

"Get out of here!" I say, my hands shaking with impotent rage as snooping eyes begin to peer down the ends of the aisle at us. "Leave me alone Jack."

"You know this Winona?" Slowly an evil grin spreads on his face. He jabs a finger into my chest. "You like her! Ha!"

"I never...I only just...shut up!" I am breathing fast and shallow. I can't think straight. Too many thoughts. Too many feelings. When things got bad like this, especially when my brothers were involved, I never knew what to say or how to say it. No matter what I did I always just made things worse. I wanted this to end. I just wanted to get away. To the forest. To Mama and her kittens. To Grandpa's boat. Anywhere but here.

"Ha ha ha!" He chortles. "It's true! She's like twice your size pip-squeak! Ha ha ha!"

"S-s-stop."

"Well shit, bring her to the party then. We'll give her a good old islander welcome."

Near my wits end at the mere thought of him talking to Winona I try to hit his broad chest, a strike he easily slaps away. "G-g-go away Jack. Just go away!" I whimper, on the verge of tears. "Go awayyy."

He rises up to loom over me. "One time I can let go. But try to hit me twice? You know that's not going to fly Avie."

"W-wait." I plead. "I'm at work."

"Nighty-night time little brother."

"No!" I cry as he reaches out for me. "Not here!"

He puts his hands on me. The next thing I knew I was staring up at the ceiling of the manager's office.

***

Chapter 10

Closing my eyes I let out a long embarrassed sigh. I didn't even bother to ask what happened. I already knew. Jack's signature sleeper hold and I were hardly strangers. When I open my eyes again I see Brenda knelt over me.

"Oh good. You're up."

Sitting up I rub my neck then with her help I get up to sit in the nearby chair. Except for a few cobwebs I was uninjured. I'd seen Jack do this to others and the moment the person was out he would lay them down as gently as one would a baby. My pride was wounded but I'd experienced worse.

"You okay?"

I nod.

"Those brothers of yours." She shakes her head. "I was going to ban him but...I heard that you threw the first punch?"

I nod.

"You Avery?" She says. "That is not like you."

"I'm sorry." I mutter.

"Listen Avery. I'm sympathetic but you guys can't bring your family stuff in here, okay? This is a business not a wrestling gym. You have to keep that stuff out of here."

"It won't happen again."

"If you need to leave early, I guess we can go short handed until 4." I could tell by her tone that this was not her preferred option.

I shake my head, my eyes avoiding hers, and say flatly. "I'm okay."

"Thanks Avery." She pats my knee. "Why don't you take your coffee break now."

"Thank you."

I walk to the staff room and sit in the corner where I quietly stew. What was I thinking? Throwing a punch at my brother!? I couldn't fight my way out of a wet paper bag, never mind taking on someone like Jack. Even worse than that though...I betrayed both who I am and who I wanted to be. I'm not the kind of guy who fights. I despised violence. The last thing, the very last thing, that I wanted to become in my time on Earth was a man like Jack or Joshua...or our father.

Numb to the world I return to my duties and like a robot go through the motions. There was no spring in my step now or cheer in my voice. Head down and quietly I go about my work with as little interaction as possible, more and more tempted with each passing minute to take Brenda up on getting off early.

"Why so glum Sprout?"

"Winona!"

My head snaps up to see her coming down the aisle toward me. Today her hair was tied in two long braids that she had draped down the front of her shoulders. She wore an untucked over-sized Seahawks jersey, baggy jeans, white sneakers and dangling from here ears were slender silver longsword earrings. The hanging medieval swords were like something Lady Ara would have wielded, and they framed her long graceful neck beautifully. She had just a touch of make up on. Her pinker lips and cheeks and subtly dusky hued eye lids bringing back memories of the night I first met her. Her glasses magnified her eyes just a little to make her big hazel peepers shine all the brighter. The outfit wasn't anything special but to my eyes she looked divine.

She pushes her cart closer to park it close by then walks around to greet me brightly. "Hey Avery."

"Hi Winona."

"Look at you! In your cute apron." She gives me the once over with her eyes taking note of the trim fit and sharp creases of my clothes and my perfectly combed hair. "Looking spiff my dude."

She noticed! "Th-thank you." I blush. "I-I like your braids."

"Thanks!" She self-consciously strokes down the right one in a loose grip.

"When you saw me before I-I was a little funky after camping." I say. "I'm not usually like that."

She winks. "Nothing wrong with a little funky between friends."

"Y-Yeah."

Looking around she says. "I was never in here much in our first stint. Mom did all the shopping."

"Oh, uh, yeah." I say. "Well it's the only proper grocery on the island."

"Now that I'm on my own you'll be seeing me down here pretty regularly." She says, her words lifting my mood. "You must see everyone passing through here."

"Pretty much."

"Hey, do you have time for a little customer service?" Then with a smirk. "Could you service me Avery?"

"Pfff!" I titter like a school girl. "Yeah! Sure. What do you need?"

"What don't I need?" She chuckles. "All I've got at home is a half eaten pizza and some hot sauce packets. Let's get me stocked up." She then says more sheepishly. "Hopefully at a reasonable price?"

"I got you." I say with confidence. With a deadbeat roommate, a picky fashion sense, and an expensive hobby stretching a dollar was something I could do. "First of all, those have got to go." I point to the smattering of name brand goods already in her cart. "There is better and there is cheaper."

"Alright! Let's start with a clean slate." She says as she turns the cart around. I come along to walk beside her as she begins to return the items to the shelves. "I am in your hands Sprout. Teach me the ways of the shopper."

Over the next half hour I guide Winona around the store. I take her around the outside wall to get her set up with the essentials. Eggs, milk, bread, some veg and meat; the stuff that would keep her belly full. Truly the novice that she claimed to be I have to direct her to look for the best expiration dates and not simply grab whatever was right up front. She is particularly pleased when I pop behind the meat counter to find some freshly wrapped packs stewing beef that were on sale but not due to hit the floor until later in the day. Then, as we snake up and down the aisles, we turn to some basic supplies and condiments that every household ought to have. I explain which products you could go cheap on and which ones were worth the extra money to buy the name brands. She nods a lot and asks the odd question but mostly she listens. As a naturally quiet guy I wasn't accustomed to carrying a conversation like this but in this environment, on this topic, and with this listener it was easy! I am honestly not sure how much she was taking in but it didn't matter as we were both enjoying the journey.

I can confidently say it was the best half hour I had ever spent at work. The best by a long shot. Two parts in particular shone out from the rest.

"Tea?" Winona says dubiously.

"Sure. Everyone needs some tea for the morning or those cold drafty nights or when company drops by."

"Mmm, it is pretty drafty up there." She says with a poorly hidden smile. "And I do hope to have company visiting. So...what's the best kind?"

"Well, most people go with a basic black tea. Earl Grey or English Breakfast, that sort of thing. This one's our best seller." I point.

"Which one would you get?"

"Me?"

"Yeah. Which one's good."

"Well..." I hesitate. "...I actually like Chai. This one or this one or..."

"Which is your favorite?"

"Um." I glance over at her. She wasn't even looking at the teas, she was looking straight at me! I swallow nervously. "Th-this one." I take down the orange and black box from the top shelf. "I-It's a little pricey but..."

"Sold." She grabs it and puts it in the cart.

"With some milk and h-honey...it's really...n-nice."

"I can't wait to try it." She looks right down into my eyes. "On some cool drafty morning with some warm company perhaps?" I blush furiously as she carries on without me. "And where's the honey?"

Hurrying to catch up I wave her to follow me a little further down the aisle. The second bit that touched me was how she asked about which food the kitties liked then went ahead and took an entire flat of it. I could see that Mama and her family were in good hands.

As we shop I notice my coworkers watching us and whispering among themselves with coy smiles. Seeing that only made me walk a little taller. I was darned proud to be seen with my new...friend.

Too soon her groceries are rung in. I take over bagging for her and carefully reload her cart as she pays. "Need a hand out with this?" I ask hopefully.

"Yes." She says happily. "I would like that."

The cashier rolls his eyes thankfully doesn't say a word. Taking control of the cart I follow her out into the parking lot. Our back and forth chat, which had flowed so freely in the store, dries up as we quietly load the back of her truck with the groceries.

As the final bag is set inside the box I say. "Winona." While at that exact same instant she says. "Avery."

"Yes?" We both say as one. Then laugh at the awkwardness.

"You first." She says.

"Um..." I hesitate. Truth was...I didn't even know what I was about to say. I just didn't want this time between us to end. Grasping for something, anything, I blurt out. "S-So is the garage open yet or...?"

"Nah." She says, clearly disappointed. "It's gonna take a bit go get all set up. Next week at the absolute earliest."

"R-Right. Of course." I stammer. "Wh-what were you g-gonna say?"

"Um..." She stammers herself. "Am I...are you...?" She lets out a sigh. "I just wanted to thank you, again. You keep helping me out and I haven't done anything for you."

"It's okay." I say. "I'm happy to help."

"I'll make it up to you. I promise."

"N-No b-bother."

"Have you...have you talked to Kayla?"

"No." I say. "I had to do some running around yesterday then I worked last night and then again this morning..."

"Yeah, yeah. Of course. You're a busy guy." She shrugs. "I should really touch base with her soon."

"I meant to t-t-talk to her."

"Sure man. No biggie." She says. "I shouldn't keep you."

"Yeah." I say. "I've got to get back to work."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

There is about a ten second silence where we both just look at each other. Each of us waiting expectantly for the other to say something.

"Okay, see you around Avery."

"See you." I say softly.

God damn it Avery...SAY SOMETHING! FUCKING SAY SOMETHING!!! Instead I just watch paralyzed as she walks for the cab of her truck. Gripping the handle of the cart tightly I slowly turn back for the store like the coward that I was. My brother called me a pussy. How right he...

"Hey Sprout."

"Yeah?" I spin back around.

"I was...thinking...I dunno." She takes a deep breath and grips at her long braid nervously. "I was thinking of trying to get a game together. I've never GMed but I thought I might give it a try. Maybe put up an ad at the college and try to get an in person group together. What do you think?"

"Y-You'd be a great GM."

"Thanks!" She says. "Hey, I know you don't play but..."

"I-I-I'd like to try again." I grasp onto this lifeline with both hands.

"Great." She smiles a smile that lights up this whole island. "Maybe you could swing by sometime. We could roll up a character for you. I've got all the books and dice and stuff." She nods at the load of groceries. "And I've got tea."

I giggle. "Yes! I'd love to make a character with you."

"When?"

"Huh?"

"When?"

"Um...uh...maybe...next weeee..."

"I'm free tonight."