A Simple Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The day Jason left for college I found Marcie at the kitchen table reading the classifieds.

"Are you looking for something in particular?"

"I guess I have to find a place to live."

"Don't bother. I am giving you the house. It is paid off and you will get the title in your name free and clear. You will also get four thousand from the checking account and seventeen thousand from the savings account. You can keep the house or sell it, your choice. If you decide to keep it, you better look for a job. Also, you have to get the utilities transferred over to your name before the end of the month."

She gave me a look of amazement. I don't think she expected what I offered.

"Here are the papers. Sign them and it will all be over in sixty days. You can have a lawyer look them over if you'd like."

Marcie grabbed a pen from the kitchen drawer and signed both documents without reading a word. She handed them back to me. "Thank you."

The short term renters were out of Todd's old place and I had been gradually moving my things there over the last few weeks. I bought the house furnished, as Todd left it. All I had to do was transfer personal items and get a few new small appliances. The last things from my dresser drawers and the closet were quickly thrown into a few black trash bags to carry to my new place. Marcie sat at the kitchen table and watched as I loaded and reloaded the truck. When I was finally done I leaned over and kissed her gently on the cheek. I said goodbye and she smiled with a tear in her eye.

EPILOG: The next year went by quickly. After the divorce was final, Marcie put the house up for sale. It sold quickly. The boys were both doing fine at school. I was glad I had prepaid the tuition. I got comfortable in the new house. I didn't see or talk to Marcie again. I don't know where she moved to but once or twice a month I see her Volvo drive slowly past the house on David Drive. I don't know if she is thinking of me or Todd. Marcie never apologized for what happened. She never said she was sorry and she never gave me an explanation. I never asked. They never found out who killed Todd Marshall. One of the ladies in the bookkeeping department at work has asked me over to her house for supper Friday night. I think I am going to go.

Share this Story

story TAGS

Similar Stories

Danny's Dilemma His wife tried to put the horns on him.in Loving Wives
A Promise Made, A Vow Broken No such thing as a hall pass when it comes to wedding vows.in Loving Wives
Good Enough for the Goose... Stealing an accountant's wife can be dangerous.in Loving Wives
Already Gone A wife and her lover plot but the husband is a step ahead.in Loving Wives
An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
More Stories