A Slave in Imperial Rome Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I knew he was right. In Rome these days, with so many slaves and more arriving every day their shear numbers cause an uneasy fear to run through the citizens. Controlling and managing the large slave population was a constant topic of discussion in the City. Some favoured harsh discipline and others a softer approach that advised more rations and less whipping. However, for outright disobedience, punishment was always called for. This situation was no different.

I replied,"I will bring the field slave to the slave pen this evening when work is done. You may punish her then. For now, have the others resume their work." With that I dismounted and grabbing Rebekah and her cousin by the arm I led them over to Rebekah's horse. She mounted and then I lifted her cousin onto the horse behind Rebekah. Together we turned and rode back to the Villa.

****

Mother and Father were sitting on the bench in the gardens at the front entrance to the villa as I led the two women in from the stables where we had left the horses. Mother looked curious while Father smiled and asked, "Marcus, my son, was one woman of your own not enough?"

Father would soon hear of the disruption in the field during a critical time in the harvest. I knew it was best to tell him first. I looked at them and took a deep breath, "Yes sir, Rebekah is all I need. This other slave is a member of her family from Judea, a cousin of hers. She was very close to this woman in her own country before capture. They met in the fields and I must tell you they caused a commotion."

"A commotion you say. Surely these two small creatures could not cause much issue?"

"No Father, they didn't but Phillipus the foreman was angered that all work stopped as the two embraced and carried on. They ignored his commands," I replied truthfully.

"Ah yes, he would be concerned his authority was being undermined. Were these two punished?"

"No sir, not yet but I will take the field worker back to the slave sheds tonight for him to deal with. For now I thought it better to remove her and my slave from the scene."

Father nodded his head and said, "Yes, our wheat is much in demand and it needs to be delivered to the market as soon as possible. The other slave should be punished and then back to the fields to help."

Mother in her curiously walked around the women. She rarely went near the field slaves and seemed concerned by Rebekah's cousin. Turning to me she said abruptly, "Well if you are bringing them into the Villa get this one cleaned up first. She smells like she hasn't had a bath in weeks." I sighed at this. Mother really had little idea what our large number of slaves endured on a daily basis. Our estate treated its slaves better than most but their lives were still brutal and short.

"Yes Mother, I will do so now," I replied, taking this opportunity to escape their inspection."

Leading them into the Villa I noticed Alonia holding Rebekah's hand tightly and looking wildly around at the beautiful entrance to my home. From her open mouthed awe I was sure she never conceived of the wealth of a patrician Roman home.

Leading them to the baths, I said to my slave, "Rebekah, bathe your cousin and give her a tunic to wear. We will eat together before she must be returned to her slave shed. I will ask Maya to clean her own garment."

"Yes Master, I will do as you wish," Rebekah quietly replied. I saw the look of surprise on Alonia's face at Rebekah's obvious command of Latin. Field slaves only knew a few commands. There was no need for them to learn more.

As I left them to bathe I heard an excited babble coming from the two women as they no doubt were telling their stories. I smiled at this. Despite everything, I knew Rebekah was thrilled to be with her cousin.

****

Completing the military engineering drawings I was working on, I decided to check on the women still in the baths. I had given them an hour to spend together alone. Entering the bath chambers I discarded my clothes and entered the water. Alonia squealed in fear and hid behind Rebekah. Perhaps this slave was not used to being unclothed in front of a master.

"Rebekah, tell your cousin that I do not bite," I said in surprise at Alonia hiding behind Rebekah. Rebekah smiled at that and pulled Alonia to her side. The older woman hid her face in Rebekah's shoulder.

"Come, let me see Alonia's body. Remind her she is my slave as well."

Both women moved to the shallow end where I was standing. I reached for Alonia's hand and pulled her away from Rebekah. I stood her up and examined her body. Her beasts were larger than my slave's and she was taller. She was broader in the hips but showed the signs of insufficient nourishment. Her hair was dark like Rebekah's but cut much shorter. Turning the woman around I could see that she knew of the lash. I suspect the two oblique red lines across her upper back were administered by a man on horseback, probably to herd her during or after capture. I traced the lines as she trembled at my touch.

Despite the fact that Alonia was an older field slave who had been worked hard in the heat and sun I still found she had much appeal as a woman. My cock raised up and hardened as I tested the weight and firmness of Alonia's breasts.

Releasing her I pulled Rebekah between my legs as I sat on the edge of the pool. Alonia's eyes went wide at the sight of my engorged manhood. I chuckled at her distress. "Rebekah, tell Alonia I will not mount her. She is really my father's to take if he wants her." Rebekah relayed this to her cousin who nodded in understanding, blushing even deeper.

I pulled Rebekah close and held her breasts in my hands and my cock nestled in my slave's buttocks. I asked her, "Tell Alonia to describe to me her capture and how she came to work on our estate."

Rebekah and Alonia chattered back and forth with the field slave becoming agitated in the telling of her ordeal. Rebekah then interpreted, "When the town was besieged she fled out a secret passage with the other women. A group of women and children were moving along a quiet path when a detachment of the legion attacking the city stumbled upon the fugitives. Alonia ran through a field but a mounted soldier caught up to her and whipped her across the back which is how she came to have those marks. She was chained to the others and marched to a ship that departed for Rome. She was sold in the market I was held in, but not in the room you bought me but out on the open square. She said it was terrifying to be naked and sold like that." My father had probably sent Paulus along with Maya to acquire more slaves and it was likely he who purchased Alonia.

I was pleased with Rebekah's skills as an interpreter and I wanted to hear more. I asked, "Ask Alonia how old she is and whether she has lain with a man?"

Rebekah asked a blushing Alonia and interpreted to me, "She believes she is 28 and was the new wife of a stone mason in the city, which I knew from before my captivity. He was the only man she has known in that way and now she believes he was killed in the siege."

"Tell her I think she is a strong and sturdy slave and I'm sure she works hard in the fields."

Rebekah turned and relayed my praise to Alonia who blushed again and nodded to me, saying something back. Rebekah then quietly asked, "Master, if I may ask you a question from her, please, she wants to know if she will be punished for what happened today."

Punishment in front of the other field slaves was necessary but I planned to make it as light as possible. I replied, "Yes, she will be punished but tell her it will not be the whip."

My hands roved over my slave as this conversation went on and I was increasingly aroused as I felt my cock glide over Rebekah's silky rear and thighs. It was my right to take Rebekah now but still I hesitated. She was stiff in my arms and I sensed her discomfort. Surely Alonia must know what her cousin's role was. "Rebekah, have you described to Alonia what you are in this household?"

As I placed my hand down on her mound Alonia gasped as I ran a finger through Rebekah's sex. Rebekah's legs closed on my fingers at which I bit her on the neck causing a small squeal.

"I asked you a question," I reminded her as I licked the bite.

"Master, I told her I was here for your pleasure. My body is yours to enjoy."

"Yes, my sweet slave, that is correct." Releasing my hold on her I said, "Good, now lets get some food for our guest and then we must take her back down to the slave domicile." With that I walked out of the water to dry followed by the two women. I had decided not to subject my slave to the humiliation of sex in front of her cousin. It would not suit my objectives with Rebekah to humiliate her so.

Our meal in the courtyard, prepared by Maya and the house slaves was eaten quietly by myself. Maya remembered the purchase of Alonia. She always examined prospective slaves carefully for deformities or weaknesses before the bid was made. She was pleased that Rebekah had found family on our estate with the purchase of Alonia. I knew Maya had a very warm feeling for Rebekah.

During the meal the two happily talked of their former life, I presumed. I enjoyed the smiles and light in Rebekah's eyes as she talked to her cousin. In my mind I mused over the possibility of bringing Alonia into the household to serve the family but I knew I would have to first convince my father. Our fields were enriching the family and our financial return was only limited by the work we could derive from the slaves who toiled in the fields. Releasing even one of them for other work would hurt our earnings.

And then I thought about my father's plan to reproduce our own slaves. If he was serious, would a strong and sturdy slave like Alonia be a good choice to breed? Perhaps then she would be allowed to stay with Rebekah and work with Maya in the gardens. I resolved to talk to him about this plan. But first, we had to return Alonia to her foreman.

***

Walking up to Phillipus, the women standing behind me, holding on to each other, I greeted him, "Phillipus, my apologies for keeping your slave for so long. She seemed in need of a good cleaning before I returned her."

"Master Marcus, please, it is of no account. You are welcome to her any time."

I chuckled to him and replied, "My friend, one lusty woman is all I can handle. The two of them would keep me from my work, but thank you just the same."

Turning away from the women I said quietly to Phillipus, "And are you still planning her punishment?"

"Yes Master, the others were restless after the incident. They must see her receive her due."

"I would prefer you spare her the lash. She only reacted the way she did out of joy when seeing my slave running at her. The disturbance was out of excitement at seeing each other. They intended no disruption to the work."

Phillipus nodded and then asked, "What would you suggest I do with her?" In reality I was the supreme master here, only second to my father. He could only do what I wanted of him but I didn't want to undermine his authority. My preference would have been a few slaps on her rear and then be done but the punishment was really to show the other slaves.

I then made my proposal, "I will explain to the other slaves the seriousness of the disruption to the field work but then allude to the circumstances. They will all understand lost family. Then I will have you administer ten strokes with the cane. The strokes must be firm but not full force. She must be able to work tomorrow."

"Yes, Master Marcus, I agree to this. I will assemble the slaves to witness the caning."

I was anxious to get this over with and as soon as the 60 or so field workers were shuffled out Phillipus marched Alonia over to the wooden box, bent her over, tied her hands and raised her tunic exposing her naked rear. Rebekah stood weeping to the side, no doubt awash in guilt over her role in all this.

I stood in front of the whipping box and raised my voice, "Slaves, hear me now. Disobedience to your foreman is not tolerated. You may not stop working unless given permission. This slave broke that rule. However, there was no malice shown to the master. Therefore she will be spared the whip and will be caned instead. All watch and remember."

With that, the foreman slashed down on the naked rear of Alonia who shrieked in pain at the impact. With each successive stroke her cries grew louder until she was crying and screaming continuously with the pain. I gritted my teeth and counted the strokes of the beating. At eight I could stand it no more and I moved in front of Phillipus and held him back. I shouted to the group, "Thank you Master Foreman for disciplining this slave. Let this be a lesson to all of you." With that the ordeal for Alonia was over.

***

While Alonia's punishment was over mine had just begun. Rebekah stopped speaking to me unless asked a direct question. When I fucked her she just lay there and didn't move, her eyes fixed on the ceiling. Even when I licked and kissed her sex I could barely get more than an involuntary shudder out of her. When I left her to her own she sat with my mother painting. Forced to go on a ride to the meadows or stream she never looked or spoke to me. My frustration was rising and I wanted to beat her black and blue. But I knew that while I could literally rip her heart out if I wanted to, it wouldn't get me what I wanted. How could I open her heart again for me? She was my courtesan-slave but I couldn't force her to willingly give her body to me. Must I get down on my knees to a slave and beg?

After more than a week of her withdrawal and silence, I decided to approach my father about my thoughts regarding Alonia. If I could bring her to the Villa to be with Rebekah perhaps I would be spared my purgatory if my slave had her cousin by her side. I might be forgiven the caning she received on my orders. Owning a slave was much more complicated than I ever imagined.

The thoughts revolved around my father's plan to breed certain slaves to secure the long term supply of workers. I could suggest that Alonia be one of them and that she produce future house slaves.

***

Several days later I saw my opportunity to raise the issue. Mother had travelled into the City to visit friends and the Senate had adjourned for the remainder of the month.

During dinner I broached the subject. "Father, I've been thinking of your plan to secure a supply of slaves for the future."

"Oh, and what specific plan were you referring to," he replied. I believe he knew what I was speaking of but he wanted to hear me say it.

"Your plan to breed our females and raise their children to eventually work for us."

"You didn't seem in favour when I first mentioned the plan. What has changed your mind son?"

"I now see the wisdom in it despite the time and money that will be spent raising the slaves' children. If the supply of new captures dries up the price of slaves may become prohibitive."

"And does this also have something to do with your own slave and her cousin. I heard of the commotion they caused and the punishment. When I see your Rebekah she seems rather grim and distant." 'Grim and distant,' I thought, more like total hatred and withdrawal from me and I had no idea of how to beat it out of her. My father was one of the most respected Senators and I knew he was very perceptive. I decided to express my wishes plainly.

"Yes father, the incident was unfortunate. The two women were overjoyed to see each other and they had no intention of causing a disruption. Phillipus believed he had to make an example of the older one and Rebekah took it very badly. She thought it was her fault mostly and the field slave took the caning.

"Did you beat your slave?"

"No, not then and there. I spanked her when we returned here but I don't think it effected her at all. She was too distraught and became livid about Alonia's caning. Father, why are these women so difficult?"

"Son, despite their status as our property they are still human and act accordingly. This is also why we are afraid of them. But tell me what you want to do with those two?"

"I want to bring her cousin to the house. Despite her age, she still might breed strong children. And if that's not enough perhaps I could buy a replacement for her in the fields."

"How old is she?"

"She is 28 years but is still strong and useful."

"Would she not be more valuable if she was bred by a male slave and her offspring kept in the fields?"

I knew my father was most concerned about field workers but I wanted to bring Alonia to Rebekah. I wanted her to be a house slave. If my father impregnated her the offspring would be kept in the Villa. They would still be slaves but it was expected that his child would be kept in the household.

"Father, we should breed our slaves for both duties and yes, having Alonia in the house will make my slave happy again, I hope."

"Perhaps the time is right for us to proceed. I have spoken to our foremen about a new domicile that would be for the children and mothers. I have chosen the location and I am prepared to start construction. Once built we would need some of the mothers to raise the children. This is if the gods bless our efforts with conception and birth."

I pondered this for a moment and then asked, "Father, would you choose Alonia to impregnate?"

He replied, "Possibly, but Phillipus and I have notionally selected some of the females for breeding. I have chosen two that I wish to mount, your mother willing. She thinks laying with the slaves beneath my dignity. I have explained that children who are half mine will be more loyal and safer to have in the Villa."

"Does she see the value in sibling slaves?"

"Reluctantly, but she doesn't want the women near her or our bed so I will have to arrange to fuck them away from the Villa. Phillipus and I will set up something."

"But what about Alonia, will you mount her as well?"

Father, walked over and poured himself a tumbler of wine. He moved over to the window looking out on the garden and stood there contemplating his domain. Turning to me he said, "If I let you bring her to the Villa I will want her to produce a child. I have only so much energy and I have taken on two slaves. I will leave this task to you. Are you willing to keep her with you and impregnate her?"

"Yes Father, I agree to those terms."

****

Rebekah was sitting in front of an easel when I entered the courtyard. She turned, and seeing me, looked away. I ignored her lack of greeting and pulled a chair towards where she was sitting. I took her hand and then a deep breath. Never in all my expectations of having my own courtesan slave did I ever expect to be making an apology to her. As her master I should not have to do this. But I wanted her back and I hoped I had the key to this.

"Rebekah, I want to say something to you," I began, trying to summon the courage.

"Yes Master?" she asked flatly.

"Rebekah, I am sorry for the beating Alonia took for you and her." Her eyes snapped to me in some amount of surprise, maybe even astonishment. Her mouth opened and then closed. I inwardly chuckled that I could cause this loss for words. No slave ever expected an apology.

"Master ... I ... I am ... I hear your words and I thank you for them," she finally managed to get out.

I took her hands in mine and she didn't recoil or stiffen. I continued, "And I have good news for you about Alonia."

"Good news Master?"

"Yes. I have agreement with my Father that she be brought from the fields and into the Villa where she will live and work for the family. You will be allowed to be with her often through the day and at night or in the baths. She will be your friend."

Rebekah's eyes bulged and her jaw dropped as she stared at me. And then in one swift motion she moved off her chair and knelt in front of me, wrapping her arms around my waist and placing her head on my chest. "Master, master I am so grateful. I thank you with everything I have. You have made me so happy."