A Striking Resemblance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After we ate, I was pecking at my pretzels when Marianne approached me with a plastic container and bag. She handed them to me.

"Vidalia onion pita chips and red pepper hummus."

I tried to look stoic as I nodded and I handed her my bag of pretzels. "Bachman pretzels. Got them at the gas station."

She looked at the bag and then back at me before finally popping one in her mouth. "Delicious. When you have a chance, get me the number of this gas station. I've heard they do amazing things with beef jerky."

By the time she was done speaking, she was giggling, and I was chuckling.

I didn't know what it was about her. She wasn't pretentious, not really. She just liked what she liked and had enough money to indulge herself. The drive from one city to the next was only five hours. We didn't need to stop and have a picnic, but it made Marianne happy, so we enjoyed the food and the view and each other's company.

Kate was with Pop, Ethan was with his wife, Shannon and the baby were with her mother and Marianne's husband, Liz was with her husband and Shelley was with me. We all got back on the road and continued on our way.

As we began to approach the city, we saw signs on the marquees for hotels welcoming the regional championships for college cheerleaders. It seemed as though they were having a meet or a championship in town the same weekend as the senator's retirement event. That was mildly interesting until we realized what it actually meant. Who knew how big cheerleading actually was?

Well, I guess the hotel industry knew.

While everyone else was mature and acted like an adult, I had just winged it. Kate, Ethan, Liz and Marianne had all gotten rooms in the same hotel. I thought I would do the same. Not a big deal, right?

They had made reservations, I hadn't. Shelley and I waited until everyone else got their key cards and set off for their rooms. We had been right behind Ethan in line and Shelley smiled while putting her credit card on the counter.

"Hi. We're each going to need a room for tonight with a checkout on Sunday."

My stomach fell when I saw the frown on the man's face. "Do you have a reservation, ma'am?"

"Um, no."

He made a tsking sound as he clacked away on his keyboard and stared at the screen. "I'm afraid we're sold out. Were you aware of the cheer event? Let me see what I can do."

Shelley turned to me and rolled her eyes. "We're gonna wind up in a hotel away from everyone else."

The man didn't look up as he spoke. "Ma'am, everyone is sold out. All right, some good luck. We just had a cancellation. You don't have a pet with you, do you?"

Shelley shook her head. "No."

"Excellent. Then we have one room available." He looked up from his screen at me. "I'm sorry sir, that was the last room."

Shelley pushed her card towards him. "I'll take it. We'll need two keys."

I thanked Shelley as I looked around for a cart. "I'll pay you back for the room."

"We'll split it."

"You're here for my granddaughter, you shouldn't be paying anything."

She shrugged. "How about I bill it to Marianne?"

"That works." I'd split the cost of the room with Shannon's mom. That made sense, Lucinda's grandmother and grandfather would cover it. I could live with that.

I found a cart; we loaded up our luggage, my Snapple, the pita chips, the hummus and went up to the room. There were teenage girls and coaches everywhere, all of them wearing jackets with their school's name emblazoned on the back. I wasn't too concerned. I was able to sleep through a hurricane if necessary. When we got to our room, Shelley opened the door, walked in, and stopped abruptly. I almost hit her with the cart but yanked it back in time.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, but... there's only one bed."

"Shelley, take two steps forward."

She looked at me over her shoulder. "Oh, sorry."

When she stepped forward, I was able to move the cart all the way into the room. I placed her three bags and my one in the tub and then used the light function on my cell phone to quickly check the headboard and the mattress for bed bugs. Thankfully, there were none. I didn't like admitting it, but they totally skeeved me out.

"Don't worry about the one bed. It's not a big deal. I'll call down to the front desk and get them to send up a cot."

"Steve, half the cheerleaders in the country have to be here. There is no way that they have an extra cot."

I shrugged. "It's not a big deal. We'll get some extra blankets and I'll take the floor. I've certainly slept on worse."

I texted Gus to see if he was free, but he wasn't. They were practicing for that night's event. I didn't think the practice was needed, but what the hell did I know about music? I did know the Marines, and if they were told to stay and rehearse, they were going to stay and rehearse. He wasn't going to be able to join us for dinner, but seeing him at the event would be enough.

Shelley went to Shannon's room to check on her and the baby. While she was gone, I laid down on the bed and closed my eyes. Twenty years ago, I could've easily driven twice that distance and still been fine to stay up all night. Getting older was no fun. I must've fallen asleep and when I woke up, I saw Shelley watching me as she leaned on the wall with a smile on her face.

"Getting some quick shuteye, Marine?"

That was another thing I didn't like about getting older. There was no way that she should have been able to open that door and just stand there watching me while I slept. I was getting soft. Stretching, I got up from the bed.

"Did they say anything about dinner?"

"They did. I don't know what's wrong with these people, but they all wanted seafood. We're in New Mexico. Would it kill them to get chile relleno or something a little more native to the area than Red Lobster?"

I laughed. "I don't think they're adventurous eaters. Why don't you hop online and see if there are any local places that serve seafood and whatever is big locally? I like those cheddar biscuits, but I'm not in the mood for a chain restaurant."

I was outvoted by everybody else, but the cheerleaders came to my rescue. There was a ninety-minute wait at Red Lobster and the place was swarmed with college kids, parents, and coaches. The restaurant was in a shopping center, so I walked two stores over, found someone who was local to the area and got a recommendation for a place. It was busy, but not packed. They were able to seat us immediately, and the food was excellent. If we had waited the ninety-minutes, we would've missed the start of the band's playing, and no one wanted that.

The senator seemed to be a jovial old guy, but he was a politician through and through. He obviously expected to be the star of the show. For our small contingent, he was a side note. My son was the star and screw anyone that said otherwise.

The venue was within walking distance of our hotel, so I felt comfortable having a few beers. The place was wall-to-wall supporters, family, and friends of the retiring senator and everyone was having a good time. I wondered if they knew how privileged they were to be getting a private performance by the Marine Corps band. I didn't have an ear for music. I knew what I liked, and that was pretty much it. I did, however, raise a son who was a bit of a fanatic, so I had random facts embedded in my brain. I knew how talented and how dedicated each of those musicians was and I respected their sacrifice.

That might have been the last night of the senators glad-handing after a long career of politicking. He seemed to enjoy it. There was a relaxed and unhurried feel as he walked around shaking hands and kissing cheeks. At one point or another, he spotted me and Pop.

I'm not going to pretend and say that we blend into a crowd. The old man was a Marine and he could tell his own. My missing arm was obvious and Pop looked like a cartoon Marine brought to life, so there wasn't much detective work being done there. He came over and spent a few minutes swapping lies before Pop put his arm around the man's shoulder and walked him over to introduce him to Gus. The band was on one of their breaks and Gus was drinking something that looked like fruit punch. It was probably Gatorade. I couldn't count how many gallons of that stuff he had gone through while in high school.

While Gus was talking to Pop and the senator, I turned and smiled at Shannon. I croaked my arm in her direction. "Shall we?"

She looked around at the gathered high and mighty. "Would it be okay?"

"Absolutely."

She stood and slipped her arm through mine while picking up Lucinda in the carrier with her other hand. Shelley had taken off the babies' tiny little earmuffs when the music had stopped, and Lucinda had a cute, curious look on her face as she was carried towards her father.

This was the first time that Gus had his family at an event, and it was obvious that he didn't know what was appropriate or not. He looked over at a Colonel who glanced at me, Pop the senator, and Shannon. He nodded at Gus and walked away.

It seemed as if the world had fallen away from Gus. I wasn't there. His colleagues weren't there, the event staff wasn't there. The only ones he had eyes for were Shannon and Lucinda. He kissed his wife and then, almost reverently, took his daughter from the carrier.

Another member of the band approached him. "Gus, is that your family over there?"

"Yes, sir."

The man sighed, but smiled. "I keep telling you, you don't have to call me sir. Want to go sit with them for a while? I'll come find you in plenty of time."

"Thank you..." I knew my son. He wanted badly to put a sir at the end there, but he didn't. To be honest, he should have. The man was senior to him, and Gus was new to the Corp. The guy was trying to be kind, but he wasn't doing us any favors. There were certain things that needed to be ingrained, and how you address your superiors was one of them.

"Enjoy yourself, Gus. I remember when my kids were that age. You have a beautiful daughter."

"Um, thank you again."

We headed back to our groups of three tables. Shannon couldn't pull the smile off her face as she stared up at my son, and I was glad she wasn't the jealous type, because she wasn't the only woman doing so. He looked sharp in his uniform.

I leaned over to Shelley and spoke in a low voice. "Do you know how long ago it was that Lucinda was changed?"

She looked over at the baby in Gus's arms, frowned, and raised her eyebrows. "No."

I caught Shannon's eye, nodded towards Gus, and patted my suit jacket in the same place where Gus was holding the baby. She looked over at him and then nodded at me. Shannon gently took Lucinda from her husband and he smiled as she did so. I thought of myself and my wife when she held Gus. I imagined that the feeling was much the same. There was a certain peace in comfortably watching the two people you love most in the world.

Thankfully, Lucinda decided not to add anything to her father's uniform. He eventually had to go back and play, but we all had a great time. Back at the hotel, Pop coerced me and Ethan into joining him at the bar and toasting to his grandson and his great-granddaughter.

I had paced myself well during dinner, the event and then in the bar, but I was feeling pretty loose by the time I got back to the room. Shelley was already in the bed, and the requested blankets were sitting on the chair. Making a mental note to take care of the people from room service, I went into the bathroom and changed into boxers and a T-shirt. Within a few minutes, I had a blanket under me and a blanket over me as I tried to get some sleep. Trying to get everything done by the light of the window in the neon signs was annoying. I hadn't wanted to bother Shelley, so I didn't check the bed for extra pillows. I was using a phone book that I had found on the desk next to the chair, and I was amused by the novelty. I hadn't seen the Yellow Pages in probably twenty years.

The events of the day kept racing through my head, and I couldn't fall asleep. Eventually, the light next to the bed went on and Shelley sat up.

"I can hear you from all the way over here, and you're on the ground. It doesn't creak or groan like a couch or chair, so what the heck am I hearing? Is that just you rolling back and forth? Look, this is ridiculous. Let's just split the bed. It's not like we're teenagers with no self-control. You stay on your side, I'll stay on my side."

"I'm fine, really."

"Well, I'm not. I'd like to get some sleep, and you fidgeting around on the floor isn't helping. Get up here, Steve."

I knew it was a bad decision as I stood up. As she sat on the bed, her blankets shifted down to just above her waist and whatever she was wearing didn't do much to hide her breasts from view. Yeah, definitely a bad idea. I left my blankets and the Yellow Pages pillow behind as I walked over, lifted the sheet and got in the bed. I felt her warmth and was again able to smell her perfume. Shelley rolled over and watched me for a second.

"Good night, Steve."

My mouth was dry as I replied. "Good night".

She rolled over, turned out the light and then rolled back, this time landing a little closer to me. Okay, maybe it actually wasn't a bad idea.

I focused, concentrated on my breathing, and put thoughts of having a beautiful woman in the bed next to me out of my mind. That and the too many drinks I had earlier helped me to fall asleep. I probably would've been overly proud of my amazing restraint if I hadn't woken up ninety-minutes later.

Either Shelley had backed up or I had inched forward, I couldn't tell which. What I did know is that my hand was on her breast, and I was pushing up against her butt. She was spooning up against me and seemed to be asleep, but when I valiantly tried to back away, she held my hand in place and shifted her hips back towards me.

She lifted my hand from her breast to her lips and kissed my palm. I could barely make out her face from the lights seeping into the window, but I thought I saw her smile as she rolled onto her back, sat up and shimmied out of the shirt she was wearing.

I had tried to do the right thing. I thought of how awkward it would be for her working right next door and with my family if things didn't work out. I had been concerned about Lucinda, who might miss a carer after we had been concerned about her heart for so long. The way things were, Shannon had a healthcare professional with her when she needed it most. All of that went through my mind in a flash, but I wasn't a monk, and I didn't have a will of steel. When her shirt came off, the interplay of shadow and light revealing her breasts held me captive until I finally found the resolve to lose my boxers.

What happened next was repeated an hour later.

If I hadn't had as much to drink the previous night, I would have gotten up and gotten cleaned off when we were done. Instead, I waited until after I woke up. Feeling grungy, I watched Shelley sleep for a few minutes before gently getting out of the bed, grabbing some clothes and heading to the bathroom.

My travel bag was in there. I brushed my teeth, used some mouthwash, got a quick shave, and jumped into the shower. I heard the door open while I was under the water.

"Is there room enough for two in there?"

If I was gifted in any fashion, it was that I was good under pressure. I didn't get flustered, and I was able to think and act under pressure. I wasn't some skilled lothario, but I knew that I could get by. That lasted until I pulled back the shower curtain.

Shelley stood there, completely naked. I hadn't gotten a good look at her the night before, but my glib, smooth talking nature saved me.

"Uhm."

She smiled and shook her head. "Cat got your tongue? I'm sure we could find a better use for it. Move over."

I moved over and we indeed found better uses for our tongues.

Shelley felt guilty about not being there enough for Shannon and the baby on the first day of our trip, so after our shower, she texted either Shannon or Marianne, kissed me, and said she would reach out with information about breakfast.

After she left, I texted Gus to see if he could join us or we could join him before he had to be at the venue. He got back to me quickly and said that as long as we were having breakfast at the hotel, he could join us for forty-five minutes. I rounded everyone up, and we enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Before Gus had to leave, I saw a Pop slip him some cash and speak to them privately.

The public retirement ceremony was held at a local park. Our seats were in a reserved section, so although the place was packed, we were able to have a great view. The event was long, and it was boring, but we got to see Gus, so nobody complained. They played before the senator was introduced and then they played for the closing of the ceremony. Once that was over, things loosened up and they played for the crowd.

During one of the breaks, Gus grabbed some stuff from below a table and rushed over to us, handing Shannon a bouquet of flowers and a stuffed animal. It was a pink elephant for Lucinda. Pop gave him a thumbs up, and I realized what the cash was for.

We had a great time. With the seriousness of the ceremony over, the park had a town fair atmosphere. His superiors let Gus stay once they were done for the day. Other bands came on and eventually, Ethan, Shannon, and Gus had an impromptu reunion as the Poplin Family Jug Band.

I had noticed earlier, but everyone's stares became more obvious as I danced with Shelley. It didn't bother me. Let them look and wonder. I was in a good place. I had my arm around Shelley and was listening to people that I loved play.

The next day was a private closing ceremony, and it was tinged with sadness. I didn't know when I would see my boy again, and that always hit me hard. Shelley and I weren't stumbling through the night to find each other Saturday evening. We'd been slow and deliberate while enjoying ourselves, and that deepened what we'd had the previous night. I'd stripped the bed for the people doing house cleaning, loaded up our vehicles and watched as Shelley spent time with Lucinda and Shannon.

I assumed it was her years of nursing that helped her to know exactly what to do at all times, but she was unobtrusive and yet present, reassuring with an air of competence.

We again danced when the band played, but this time, it was gently interrupted by Shannon. The next few songs I danced with my daughter-in-law. There were times when I could delude myself into thinking that I could pick out and listen to only Gus, but I couldn't. She probably could.

I didn't show it, but I was shocked when her mother asked if she could cut in. Shannon kissed me on my cheek and stepped away to dance with Ethan. Marianne was a surprisingly good dancer. As the song drew to a close, she smiled up at me.

"You deserve to be happy, Stephen. She's good for you."

I wasn't sure what to say. Maybe I wasn't as glib as I thought I was. "Thanks."

It hadn't been so long since Pop and I had demonstrated that we could take more than twice our number in jackasses from the Army. I was confident that if anyone claimed that my cheeks were wet as I accepted my son's hug goodbye, nobody would believe them.

"Thanks for coming, Dad. And thanks for looking out for Shannon and Lucinda."

"Don't thank me for that, Gus. Never that. Nothing is going to stop me from looking after them until the day I die."

The drive home was a quiet but comfortable affair. It had been a good trip. A very good trip.

After I pulled into the driveway, I got out our luggage and turned to kiss Shelley. Our lips meeting, we stood there under the light of the moon, finding it almost impossible to get enough of each other. When we finally separated, I said goodbye.

"Say that tomorrow morning."