All Comments on 'A Summer By The Lake'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 629 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I laugh at the”similar stories“ section above. There aren’t any stories similar to this one. They all fall way short of this.

Bill S.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

my 2nd or 3td reading as this story is always good. thanks.

Hornydevil47Hornydevil47over 1 year ago

You write the best stories on this site. THANK YOU SO MUCH. This is the second reading of this one as I am reading some of your stories again and also for the first time. Only ever found one that I was not sure about, will have to reread it. By the way you do know how to make a 75 year old cry. I have always been emotional so I should really stop reading your stories, not a chance on that, Thank you again for your talented writing. Mel B known as Hornydevil47

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A stupendously wonderful story. Loved it. 10 stars for you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Love the story and gave it five stars.

My only criticism relates to the last segment beginning with "Life went on. Our daughter ..."

Somehow I found it unsatisfying - too much like a fairy tale where after the story (and action) is over it finishes with "And they lived happily every after. The end." There's obviously another story there - BB growing up and going to college, bringing boyfriends home, and so forth.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

hmmmmm i think i am i love with this story perfecto

Savannah13Savannah13over 1 year ago

Now that the name calling is over with by those who may not understand this story we can get on to what made this story work. After Sarah threw his camera in the lake there was little, if any, hope that Harry and Sarah would ever have a relationship. Both had been physically injured by former mates, Harry's history was older and better understood. What made this story excellent was the brilliant introduction of BB. BB made friends with Harry and then made it work with her mother. Very smart young lady who knew what she wanted and got it. BB is the glue that made this story excellent. An outstanding effort by the author.

Ravey19Ravey19over 1 year ago

Another read through this fabulous story. No more to be said.

LivingWordsLivingWordsover 1 year ago

Great story, but you’re obviously not trying hard enough. I mean, seriously, you got called “Boomer”, condescending, AND a misogynist in one comment- put some effort in already!

I don’t understand the haters and ranters; I’m pretty sure it is just jealousy and awareness of their own inadequacy.

Keep up the excellent stories!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I love the story, but at some points it was a little bit confusing. For example when they confess their love for each other the paragraphs are nothing but speech. There is no indication who of them is currently speaking and sometimes one character has multiple paragraphs. That's why I am still not sure who is saying these paragraphs:

"So you've got two hearts to consider here. If we don't work out, they'll both be broken."

"I'm sure I love you, I just don't know how to handle it. Help me, please? Please?"

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I think this is a great, well written story. I think AngelRider’s comments sound like Sarah at the beginning of the story. Hopefully she will find someone like HH to show her what love is really about between two people.

SlowerclamSlowerclamover 1 year ago

It’s “eminent domain,” not “imminent.”

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

Clearly written by a man who thinks that women require men to correct their behavior.

Here is the thing. This dude writes the same type of characters in every story. No variation. He absolutely believes men are better than women when it comes to relationships. I find it offensive and it's clear this dude is a boomer.

He is good at writing a story that seems lovely on first read. The more you read the story, the more the condescension appears. The more self assured arrogant morality appears.

Well, I am no longer fooled. You may see yourself as some modern romance great but your misogyny is showing.

Oh sure, you absolutely don't think you are. I would go so far as to say that you go out of your way to pretend otherwise. And yet it's always the man who teaches the poor simp woman. Every fucking time.

You can fool some idiots by your writing but it's clear to me that you don't think much of women unless they match your ideal exactly

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

"You know what I want, Mel. Large veggie, mushrooms, red onions, red bell peppers, basil and tomatoes, light on the sauce. Heavy on the garlic. Extra cheese."

She gave me a disapproving look. In her world there was something wrong with a man who didn't subsist on meat. I wasn't a vegetarian, this was just the type of pizza I liked."

I agree 100% quite frankly the story should have ended there. No decent woman would ever date let alone marry someone who has zero clue how to eat pizza.

The absolutism. The definitive writing, suggesting that the main character is somehow better than others because he has shitty taste. It rankles. I was cheering for him but now I think the mother is right. He is a gross.

SatyrDickSatyrDickover 1 year ago

[10.12.22]

An ION TV worthy story!

Love this exchange:

"Do you like chocolate?"

"Does Justin Beiber use hair products? Chocolate is my favorite."

Also, per the Mayo Clinic, you do NOT have to wait 30 minutes after eating to go swimming, it's an old Wives Tale...you MIGHT get a cramp, but then again you might not.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is my favorite Q story if for no other reason than it was my first of his stories. Loving this led me to all the other great Q stories. Thank you!

somewhere east of Omaha

belseravibelseraviover 1 year ago

Every time I read this story, I give it 1 star so I can turn around and give it 5 stars.

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

Yep nice story up to your usual standard

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Loved it

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a great story.

Thank you...

Tarloso2Tarloso2over 1 year ago

I enjoy this story every time I re-read it.Great little story

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A nit - bottom of page 1 when Harry says there was a woodsprite on his deck he remarks about her green eyes. On page 2 in the diner he says he hadn't noticed before but BB had green eyes.

russ603russ603over 1 year ago

Great story - I especially enjoyed the development of the relationship between Sarah and Harry. B.B. was the key to the relationship actually developing. Thanks for this story.

Cracker270Cracker270over 1 year ago

Awesome story. Well written. Can’t say enough good about it. Oh second time so I can’t vote again

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

We are so touched and sooooo misty❤️

What a beautiful story that warmed our hearts and reminded us of true love deep in our souls!

What can be and should be and came to be!

Please!

More!

Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Lovely and substantive

NitpicNitpicover 1 year ago
Very

A very good story despite the flaws,eg BB ringing her gran every week,when they didn't have a phone at first.

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICover 1 year ago

What a great love story. I really enjoy reading a well written story. Thank you for the time and effort you put in to writing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Third reading and my comments of 3 months ago still stand firm. Thx

5*

BJ

RRC2RRC2over 1 year ago

Excellent. Great story and great characters.

The ending comments about the camera (no poison ivy) and the boxer shorts were expected, and obvious, and made the story all the better by wrapping it up in its own good natured tone.

Thank you. I thoroughly enjoyed

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wrote my accolades 3 months ago; re-reading has not changed my opinion one whit. For those who have the time, Pat Conroy's books Beach Music and South of Broad will give you the same of feeling that..."I'm home..." as this tale by qhml1. Once again, kudos for an outstanding creation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Loved it. Especially the line about what's worse than a woman.

Cracker270Cracker270almost 2 years ago

Great story, one I am looking forward to rereading many times

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

What a great read!

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 2 years ago

A wonderful story, tears at times and also laughter. @nd or 3rd time for this one. I really needed a feel good story and this one did it. 5 stars of course.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I wish you would right more these type stories

MADDOGINTEXASMADDOGINTEXASalmost 2 years ago

Every once in a while, I like to read something NOT full of sex and nastiness...this story filled that need today.

I found this to be well-thought-out, if a little poorly written; that distracted from the plot, which was a real shame.

I Do love the the romantic thing...even from the quite-funny (in my opinion) beginning...Sarah thought he was a pervert!!

Five**5**Stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Re-reading again, always a feel good story. THANKS.

Runner4069Runner4069almost 2 years ago

Great story as always, thanks for sharing. It was a bit hard to follow who was who at times, and I think you got BB and Sarah got mixed up a few times but it was still an enjoyable read!

tonyneatotonyneatoalmost 2 years ago

Thank You Q, Great love story

Master_JonesMaster_Jonesalmost 2 years ago

A wonderful read indeed. I was pleased to see you extend the story past the proposal or wedding.

I do agree with the editing comments, but still an enjoyable read.

I look forward to what comes next.

dasgoodshitdasgoodshitalmost 2 years ago

Can a mod move this to non-erotic please

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Good story with an over dramatic end!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Nice story, lots of feelings, but a fairy tale. He is so damn noble all the time, but on the other hand he does not have the presence of mind to step back when he walks onto her at the beginning. Sparing her the embarrassment.

Then: we could not build two churches. What is that?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

This is a masterpiece plot. You know how to hold the interest of the reader. But you need a serious dose of good editing considering the number of words missing, misspelled, etc. I liked that the characters were equal to themselves at all levels: age, gender, activities, etc. In spite of the editing downside, I grant this story...

5*

BJ

arsenelupin66arsenelupin66almost 2 years ago

There really isn't any excuse for publishing a story this badly edited and proofread, some of the sentences as written make no literal sense.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Very sweet story, richly detailed. Sure hope H.H.’s editor for “A Summer at the Lake” caught the misuse of the word “imminent.” The phrase is “eminent domain.” Imminent domain sounds like you’re just about to select what to put on the x-axis of a graph…. Aside from a couple like that, this was a most enjoyable read!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The problem with trying to write complimentary comments about a story which everyone recognizes as "outstanding" is that they've all been said before...in the preceding comments already on record.

So..."tender", "moving", "insightful" both in its psychological depiction of adult and youthful love and loss...and in the always beckoning glimmer of "hope" on the horizon, "extremely funny", and all-around downright engrossing such that I ignored all other obligations to read it in one continuous sitting.

Your style of storytelling strikes me as an excellent blending of Mark Twain and Pat Conroy.

Kudos on a "tale well told" and a big "thank you" for an evening spent living another life....

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

You stirred this old man's soul with this one. I laughed and cried and then felt anxious ,all within a moments time. Storytelling at its finest.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

What a really nice story. You are a great writer. Had me hooked all the way through it, and I am not much of a reader. Thanks so much for the time you took to write it, and thanks for the entertainment.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Well done! I love happy endings!!

Jim

JacksducatiJacksducatiabout 2 years ago

Loved this, thank you for entertaining me. I’ll be sure to follow you and read your other works

Ravey19Ravey19about 2 years ago

One of my all time favourites.

DeanofMeanDeanofMeanabout 2 years ago

made me laigh and cry also good to see a well written adhd charator in B.B. all be it with some good coping skills

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

a light hearted fantasy is a good way to avoid taking life too seriously. Keep up tghe great work!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Duncanita is totally on point. I totally enjoy your work. THANK YOU!

Be Well and Happy,

Paul

DuncanitaDuncanitaabout 2 years ago

Damnit,your stories really need to be filmed... extraordinairy good story, would give 10 stars if possible...

Bear9428Bear9428about 2 years ago

This was a wonderful story, I could not stop reading it. Just Wonderful, Please keep them coming.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Just read this story for the third time since you wrote it. Still love it! Grateful you have shared the gifting you have for writing with us :-)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Much unlike most stories, this wasn't solely a build up to a wild sex romp. With some serious fleshing out, it could make a serious novel. Excellent, definitely made yourself a fan here!

Laurentius0150Laurentius0150about 2 years ago

Excellent story. Will read again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

One of the beat i have read… ever!

greasedsilvergreasedsilverabout 2 years ago

Thank you for such a fantastic story of life with a positive epilogue.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Makes me think of my late husband. Had he had the money, he would probably have used it quite like Harry.

The start seemed quite unconnected to the rest, but otherwise a lovely story. One of those that make me think of subscribing today this site just to follow-up favorite authors.

ca_daveca_daveabout 2 years ago

This is the 4th story of yours I have read. While all 4 have had minor flaws they all were well worth the 5* rating I gave to each of them. Thank you for your wonderful writing. Please keep writing.

sentiantonesentiantoneabout 2 years ago

Your such a talented and engaging writer. Great story!

LeontheKingLeontheKingabout 2 years ago

I love an old fashioned fairy tale

PurplefizzPurplefizzover 2 years ago

Great story, I first this over a year ago as an anon, it has lost nothing in the reading a second time around, yes an editor/proofreader would have polished it and whittled a page out of it, but tbh I’m not sure it would improve it any, bar a few grammar/punctuation issues. Well written characters, scenery wonderfully painted and pretty fair repartee between the central characters, it doesn’t hurt that in Ms Diamond and Ed Parker we’ve got a pair of proper bad guys to boo & hiss either, all in all a 5/5⭐️ from me! Thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

ChiBoy44ChiBoy44over 2 years ago

Great story. Nice character developement. Heart warming story.. The last 4 pages had many grammer errors, it made me have to re-read those areas a few times to spot what was wrong.

RanDog025RanDog025over 2 years ago

Excellent story a usual. Loved it! Gotta rate this at 5 BIG FAT SHINNY STARS! Thank you qhml1.

SDN1955SDN1955over 2 years ago

Well developed and well told story.

UncertainTUncertainTover 2 years ago

I love rereading this story, it is one of my all time favourites : )

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I've read this story a several times. It always warms my heart.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This was my second Q story to read. It drew me into all the rest and the depth of the writing leaves me in awe. I'm sure that it is obvious when writers have something really special. It would be a mix of heady and scary at the same time to many - heady for obvious reasons, scary wondering if it was in you to top it. You must be fearless because you have done it countless times Q.

Thank you for the adventure, past and to come!

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely the most beautiful story have read on here.

Don't stop writing

tranquilshorestranquilshoresover 2 years ago

Love a well written romance. 5 stars+ for you.

JusteenKJusteenKover 2 years ago

I read quick, I judge quick. If the story is shite I move on. When it isn't I wonder why my imagination is so constricted. Thank you for taking time to put your words out here. Maybe one day.....

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955over 2 years ago

When ever I get bored reading other stories I go back to this gem of a story. I don't comment much about stories. I am not a writer I let you do that. Great story

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirensover 2 years ago

Just reread this again. I’ll have to do it anonymously next time so that I can vote again and give it another 5 stars. Please keep writing!

rruymannrruymannover 2 years ago

REALLY GOOD!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
And....

"You" think about your own life and think...."If only..."!

AA82ndAAAA82ndAAover 2 years ago

Nice "feel good" story

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 2 years ago

great heartwarming story, thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Damn good story. You"re a good writer but you really need a good EDITOR. The last mistake that really stood out was 2 ring bearers and no flower girl.

Anony Mous

Frenchy47manFrenchy47manover 2 years ago

Thank you!

Sweet story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

When I started reading and found out it was labeled "romance" , almost stopped reading. I'm a 65 year old man. I don't read romance mushy stuff. Glad I kept going. This was a wonderful story and I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

When B.B. was on the witness stand, I wanted to adopt her. Incredable job. Some proof reading is in order though.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Just found you and very grateful I did. Really enjoyed the story and the style of your writing. Looking forward to reading more of your artwork! Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I have a favorite stories list, this is front and center. Thank you Q.

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Another great story. you never disappoint.

dgfergiedgfergieover 2 years ago

Another excellent story I just had to read again, I lose track anymore 2nd or 3rd read maybe. I t would be crime to criticize anything because it is a such a good story and so well written, it gave me laughs, smiles and a few tears. What more can you ask after reading a story like this? Please keep writing.

mrdata9770mrdata9770over 2 years ago

(10/22/2021) A nice long enjoyable love story. There were a few missed words and grammar hiccups, but nothing that really impacted the story for me. Maybe an editor would be helpful. 5 stars from me.

BlueEyd2BlueEyd2over 2 years ago

I loved the story. Very special.

BUT, it needed an editor!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

5 for the story.

For future stories:

“Imminent” is near or close, as “he is in imminent danger”

“Eminent Domaine” has to do with government confiscation of private property.

Craig

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is the most wonderfully written and engaging story I have read on here although not strictly Erotica. it really would make an excellent novel. I even felt tears of joy when the extended family joined the family. If you really have written the novel or intent to please email me the details (princelegolas61@gmail.com) Thank you for a great story

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories