All Comments on 'A Summer By The Lake'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 629 Comments (Page 4)
AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Make it a novel

A good short story. Grow the characters and the settings. You do a great job with bb. You skipped through the end and the story falls apart. Embellish the twins. You obviosly do well with kids. Make them characters sooner and continue the family.

I enjoyed it. Keep writing even if you don't follow my advice.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great story

Entertaining read all around. Thanks for the effort. Keep after it.

reader13reader13about 4 years ago
Great

Finestkind! Pleasant, interesting characters, interesting action, just a touch of conflict. Great story.

vcwriter17bvcwriter17bover 4 years ago
Comment

This is a nicely written fairytale. I like it, but let me focus on two concerns. 1. The backend is almost an afterthought. Do we need to know about all the details of the futures of non-central characters? 2. The infinite money detracts from the story line. The characters can’t be creative when all they do is throw money at problems. What’s the fun in that?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Fabulous

Great story, you should write a novel.

cybojicybojiover 4 years ago
This is my go to story

When I need something light and bright. B.b. is a hoot. The whole story is fabulous. Always a 5.

GrimmerGrimmerover 4 years ago

BB made the tale.

Seriously well done.

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955over 4 years ago
5☆

Very enjoyable.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
A romance a day

keeps the doctor away.

Or so they say.

Don't they?

Thanks for keeping me healthy. :-)

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxover 4 years ago
Great Story!!

Very well written and full of surprises. I have always had the idea that the rich should use their excess wealth to help out the less fortunate people around them and donate to charities that they like. This story takes all that into consideration. If I were rich this is the life I would live. Thank you so much for a great story. Loved it!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Rich Peopleq

I really don't like stories about filthy rich people!

MarshallaMarshallaover 4 years ago
Not exactly the typical fare ...

... for this particular Site but, this was a Story, with a Capital "S"!

Well written, and very engaging, without a doubt.

5 Stars, and my thanks for another Instant Favorite.

I'd found this one in the Recommended Stories at the end/Comments area of another Author's stories, and I'm glad I did.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 4 years ago
Exquisite

This was a nice love storm, Thankyou for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
How does a story on Literotica make me cry?

Love this story, that’s all I’m gonna say.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great. Story

5 stars plus. In my favorites and have read it numerous times

ron/cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Nice story with ..

..something for everyone. At the risk of seeming petty: it is EMinent domain and badminton. Five stars.

ibbunkibbunkalmost 5 years ago
Thank you

A wonderful read. Thank you so much for the time you spend giving to others. It's very generous of you.

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 5 years ago
When you love the way we do

Pervert to husband detours on way

Good story

4 stars

BAnde53507BAnde53507almost 5 years ago
The Perfect Story...

I always feel so good after reading a story like this. It’s perfect: the characters, the length & pacing, all of it. Sadly, not enough feel good stories such as this one ore written. You’ve strengthened my hopes for love and relationships. Just what I needed. Cheers.

AutistAdventurerAutistAdventureralmost 5 years ago
Amazingly beautiful story...

...the religion didn't bother me at all (although I don't share the belief system) as it provided the cultural framework for the romance, the overcoming of the implicit tensions and the reason that the untrusting mother could begin, once again to trust.

You can't help writing Romances, can you?

And you shouldn't be bothered by it. You create believable characters who are true to their setting.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Great. Story

In my favorites list. I have read it numerous Times and enjoy it more and more.

cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

etchiboyetchiboyalmost 5 years ago
@gentleman_prince: WHAT!!! 😮 No bacon cheeseburgers?!!! How can you live? Even vegans have trouble with bacon cheeseburgers. LOL

Yeah, I hear ya too. Us agnostic ex-buddhist/methodist/catholics (yeah, weird combination) have trouble with this type of story too, though we did celebrate Christmas, it was more as a Winter Celebration (though us kids still dug the presents), so I have gone through the celebrations and services. Parents knew it was tough on us kids when 99.7% of our friends were going through all the festivities... and presents (did I mention the presents?).

I would have been slightly more comfortable with less of the story hinging on the church, though there are certain nuances of the story that are especially poignant because of them, especially the teens seeing the poverty some of their friends suffer through.

Love this story. It WOULD make a good rom-com. I can really find no fault with this story. Though I’m sure a legal expert might find problems adopting a girl, without her father’s ok, to be not without problems (don’t know N. Carolina laws). No way he could give “consent” while in a mental institution; I’m not sure any state would allow that, though some states may let just one parent give consent.

LOVE B.B.’s character. She really is the pivot the whole story revolves around, not H.H.

5-stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Great

This needs to be made into a movie!!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
WOW!

This is the best I've read on this site,reallygood 👌

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Very Nicely done

Another great 5* story. Keep writing them, your stories are well written. I enjoy them for what they are fiction, never mind the people who don’t realize that is what they are. So what a guy who is very rich wants to use his money to help people, protect what is dear to him. I would to if I had it.

Keep up the great work

flarebel2327flarebel2327about 5 years ago
nit pickers

if they want a perfect story go to a book store & buy 1. try your hands at writing & see how well you do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YvesmiYvesmiabout 5 years ago
Too good

Too muchof a xmas story for me. He throws a little money at every probleme. A fairy tale.

LwcbyLwcbyabout 5 years ago
Pissed off of you cuz you don't write more frequently

I really am upset that you don't write more I leave work in read stories and most of them are yours so quit being a ask monkey and start writing more

CumminginsiderherCumminginsiderherover 5 years ago
Typical....

Another Typically Awesome story by qhml1.

Nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
WOW... A lovely plot. I love it sooooooooooo much

I loved the fact that you added a touch of the warmth of service to God. I loved the church scenes. Lovely. I feel lifted. I am just like Sarah and wish for good man even better than Harry. Lol.

WilCox49WilCox49over 5 years ago
great story!

Thanks for writing it. (A romance in which they sleep in separate rooms and separate houses for three quarters of the story? With the attention being given to their developing affection and relationship? What a strange and novel idea!)

You do need to find a way to control spelling, grammar, typos, and word choice. It's "eminent domain", just for example. Very distracting.

LwcbyLwcbyover 5 years ago
The judge

I'm guessing a wedding picture. Am I right?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
The judge

So... what did BB send the judge??

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Im just a dude, with thanks to give

I genuinely love this story. I'v re-read it a couple times now, and it touches my heart every time. This story gets to my heart when most things can't, so thank you for this work of art.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
spelling

love the story. I just wish you had an editor who could spell . ' closet ' city should be closest and I have to disagree with with one of your readers, eminent means superior or prominent, imminent means close to, which I assume is the legal term. Still I continue to reread these stories so they can't be too bad. Perhaps I should point out that I am English and reading in the UK.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
WOW

Great again. Thank you so much

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Great Love Story first with BB and then Sarah

I have read this several times and really enjoy the story! Keep writing more stories.

BR Cajun Guy

gentleman_princegentleman_princeover 5 years ago
Jewish comment

I'm Jewish and live in a small Midwestern town in which I'm the only Jew. Although I loved this story, I kept putting myself into it and realized that I wouldn't fit. I don't go to church, celebrate Christmas or Easter, and keep kosher to the extent of not eating pork or shellfish; I also don't mix meat & dairy at a meal. I'd love to see a story in which the hero, Jewish, and the heroine, Christian, fell in love and the difficulties her friends and family have accepting him into their lives.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
thanks

I just said it " thank you "

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Great story. Good enough for several retreads. I just had one issue. It's 'eminent' domain not imminent. Now pardon me while I get back reading thru your list of stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wow!

Amazing story as usual from Q.

Thank you for sharing for free here on Lit.

C

TailakaTailakaover 5 years ago
Another reread

I tried to just read the first couple pages and end up rereading the whole thing. Great story.

TarlosoTarlosoalmost 6 years ago
Great read

It's as enjoyable each time I reread it. Well done

cybojicybojialmost 6 years ago
Reread for 3rd time

A great story, thank you!

DoNotPassGoDoNotPassGoalmost 6 years ago

Good story, but needs editing in spelling and continuity.

jesemmojesemmoalmost 6 years ago
Thanks

Was getting ready for bed, but decided to read on of your stories before going to sleep. As I opened the story I checked how many pages the story contained. When it appear to be eight pages I almost decided not to get started, but decided to read a couple of pages. It's now nearly 1am and need to get up at six. Thanks a lot. If you're ears are burning today know I'm cussing for lack of sleep.

It was worth every minute. It's one of best stories I've read and will probably reread it again. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Maths

Enjoyed the story ,but the author needs to work on his maths. He bought two of five lakeside properties when went to live there,bought Sarah dad's property next,i.e three,but when the property developer shows interest,Sarah's dad states there are only two property owners,H.H and Jim what happened to the missing property.?

slickwilliecigrslickwilliecigralmost 6 years ago
Wonderful story!

Keep up the good work! I very much appreciate your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Wonderful Story

Far different fare than I've come to expect in this venue. Needs some editing work, but the storyline outweighs that. Thanks for this fine, romantic tale.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Love the story

Loved the story don’t read many books or story’s loved it

WoodbgoodWoodbgoodabout 6 years ago
Great story and suitable for everyone.

Every time I find a new favorite author I just celebrate. This story reminds me of watching the old black and white movies and saying, “They sure don’t make them like that any longer”. I hope you keep writing till your fingers won’t allow you to write any longer then you dictate your writing. I will recommend this story to everyone I know. Please keep them coming. Your editors are top notch.

Woodbgood

MackBobMackBobabout 6 years ago
Great story!

Very well written, and very entertaining! I found myself laughing and crying throughout! I kept thinking that this is how a great story unfolds! Marvelous! More, please!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
one of the

one of the best if not the best i have read all over the net.. you...have a gift..don,t stop

TalonsreachTalonsreachabout 6 years ago
Once again

The first time I read this was years ago. Having stumbled across and liking another of qhml1's work I was then determined to read more of them which eventually led me to this one. I was rereading a couple of his stories the other day and looking at his list. The title to this one didn't ring a bell so, thinking maybe it was something newer, started to read this. Of course, the classic opening scene with the woman urinating and then getting tossed into the lake instantly let me know I had not only read it before but, like before, was captivated again by a really good story. I don't see this one pop up on recommended readings by the site and it doesn't get much fanfare in other parts of this genre but it really is one of the classics

jrphdojrphdoabout 6 years ago
loved. it

Fantastic story, really one of your best!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Wow

Great again on the 2nd read. It's been awhile but I loved it even more. I REALLY like feeling good and NOT being pissed off at the end of the story. Thank you again. You are a wonderful author.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great for a 4th or 5th reading!

One of my many favorites! Keep it up!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Wording.

Eminent domain.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Very nice story 5 stars

One wanted to turn the lake into a resort the other made it into a kids resort. So which idea is better? Why is one better than the other? Neither if you please. Leave the lake the fuck alone. There are places better suited for both without destroying serenity...

teedeedubteedeedubover 6 years ago
Yeah

I had to re-read this one myself. What a great story. Thanks again for sharing.

KingCuddleKingCuddleover 6 years ago
By my count?

Another Happy Ending every 3/4ths of a page.

This is a repeat reading for me. Still makes me feel warm all over.

Thanks for sharing this loving story!

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdover 6 years ago
Well done

The narrative style reminded me of watching "The Waltons" as a child; loved that show.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
well done

Thank you, it's just before Christmas and it gave me a few laughs and tears and helped me out of a bad place.

PGUK

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
perspectively writing

Story should have ended with the ''Get with the times, Dad...'' sentence.

The rest was superfluous and over the top

Scone134Scone134over 6 years ago
THANK YOU!!

Beautiful story and so well written! TY

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Good

A very good read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Run and find out

According to The Jungle Book "The motto of all the mongoose family is RUN and find out". Don't know how I missed reading this one before.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Great reading one of favorites. Will read all his stories.

BruceWoBruceWoover 6 years ago
Wonderful, wonderful , wonderful

You should be proud of your story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Love it

This is a amazing story to say the least and I love how you made the characters have such good development thank you for making this story

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Editor needed.

It would improve the often disjointed writing, remove unnecessary "filler", remove misplaces commas, fix typos, and repair the ever present malapropism "imminent domain". Since "imminent" and "eminent" are both words (with totally different meanings) spellcheck wouldn't notice but a reasonably literate editor would - "eminent domain" is, after all not an uncommon phrase. Still, the story was a reasonably enjoyable pulp fiction read.

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 6 years ago
This is my second read.

And it was even better than the first.

One of my favorites of all LIT.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Loved it!

Couldn't put it down. It would make a beautiful movie.

penneydog55penneydog55almost 7 years ago
A BEAUTIFUL STORY THATS WELL WRITTEN

Top shelf story! It's like Chocolate! Loved by all

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
What can I say

To say it is an excellent story would be a lie, because it was so much better than anything that words can describe. Thank you for sharing.

Buddy1945Buddy1945almost 7 years ago
Very. Good. Story

It seems so real to life. Two broken people meet and finally fall in love with a lot of help from her daughter. B. B just stood out in the writing of this story. In my favorites have read it numerous times. Top Shelf as stories go. I did research it but could not find a movie. So Sue me I was curious.

Ron

OverJackOverJackalmost 7 years ago
A Study in Character

So glad you told this story the way you did. The story built upon the Character of your characters and was done in a very entertaining but real way. Really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A Great Story

Very moving and very enjoyable. As pretty much all your stories are. This is definitely a 5 Star + story. And thank you very much for it, Q.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Wonderful !!!!!

Very very nice. How can you beat a story that leaves you feeling better than when you started. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A love story.

I don't know if this was actually made into a movie or not but it should be! A truly great love story. First he fell in love with the daughter then the mother. A neat twist! You have a real talent never stop writing. You have made your characters come to life. I feel like I want to meet them. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Fantastic

They both had a lot to overcome but they did. B B was the shining star in this story although all three just jumped off the pages at you and the supporting cast was great. In my favorites numerous times to read it. It all seemed so factual.

Ron/cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

TalonsreachTalonsreachabout 7 years ago
Like a good cognac

Believable characters. Great pictures painted in the mind. Decent dialogue. At times the emotions run high and then low and back high. Fantastic circle back to the beginning. A very good story. Thank you!

oldpoet451oldpoet451about 7 years ago
What can I say.

Every time I come back to your work and read another story I'm amazed. 10+

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
a gentle tale

a tale of love, told with with consummate skill and gentleness. I am reading this for the umpteenth time in the middle of the night, knowing it will send me back to sleep in a happy mood; thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
awesome

kept me glued it is fantastic

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
tears

there were a lot tears while reading this story, where can I buy the books he wrote at the lake???

ukdukeukdukeover 7 years ago
Not enough stars!

Not enough stars to show how good this story is.

It should be published for a wider audience!

Thank you.

KingCuddleKingCuddleover 7 years ago
What a wonderful fantasy!

Never touched the ground of reality, but I LOVED it! Several Happy Tears!

With a readership here almost of entirely of writers?

We all got to live out our Happy Endings...in all ways!

Bravo! Thanks!

Horseman68Horseman68over 7 years ago
Exceptional Story....

..... that had me hooked from the beginning to the very end. 🏆

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Well done.

Nicely written, well thought out, a very good read! Please do more of the same!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Amazing! Please keep writing.. ☺

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
Re: Idiots

To the moron who sent me feedback chewing me out for my "shitty" comments here, what the fuck are you talking about?

My comments, outside of a few nitpicks, are positive!

I even said that I bought the book version!

Where are you getting the drugs you must be on?

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 7 years ago
Excellent story

I enjoyed this and hate to make a negative comment (eminent domain not imminent) sorry but Harry is a writer so this should accurate. Otherwise, this is a very touching story 5*!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Best story i have read on LLiterocia yet

WOW IS RIGHT

I could not put my cellphone down till i read all of a remakable story

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Wow

Wow just wow

Truly outstanding work.

JJMemaw0623JJMemaw0623over 7 years ago
You've done it again!

You've done it again!! I love it, keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
You make me work

looking up the historical references so it takes me hours just to reread this story.

Well done, thank you.

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 7 years ago
you never know

when I get down a little bit after losing my wife a few years a go I come back & read this story. it always gives me a lift. if I could would give it 9 stars + . 1 of my favorites to read again.

TrishieldTrishieldover 7 years ago
Book into a movie

You know I sometimes don't rate stories, no reason in particular. I will say I am still astonished by the quality of writing here.

My only wish was that some of these stories could actually be made into movies, they are that good.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories