A Surprise Lunch Crush

Story Info
Focus on living a good life.
17.9k words
4.72
3.6k
12
15
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A Surprise Lunch Crush

©Copyright 2023 OldBrigantine

This story has been rattling around in my head for a long time.

After reading well over a thousand Literotica stories, how hard can it be to write a story? A hell of a lot harder than I ever expected. The last time I did creative writing was in the '70s for college Freshman-Comp. I am now a retired engineer, a HAM Radio operator, and Vietnam Veteran, so I can tend to be techno-geek; I hope it does not distract to much from the story. Some of the items in my stories are real experiences, some embellishments, and many wishes. If you seek lurid sex then I'm not a writer to read, as I allude to sex but I leave much to your imagination; as I find less-is-more. All names and likenesses are all fictitious or coincidences.

As you may notice I've not been very active. This story took me over three years to write as I've been fighting cancer and Covid. My mental focus has been elusive due to treatment side-effects. This story was written piecemeal over the years when I could focus. I've started three stories but only completed this one, so far.

I need to profusely thank my first-ever editor kenjisato, who had to wade through my dribbling mess of story tenses. I did not know just how bad my writing was until I saw all the blood. My mild dyslexia is still with me.

A Surprise Lunch Crush or The Last to Know

Upon my arrival at XYZ Corporate headquarters to start another day of work, the security guard told me to report to the CEO immediately. My mind went into overdrive; what-the-fuck did I do now? Who did I piss off? Who ratted on me and for what? Since I had a rather blunt and direct personality, I did not suffer fools lightly. I was a manager with a talent of pissing co-workers off. It came from being in the US Navy for ten years leaving at the rank of Chief Petty Officer. Since before my discharge I'd been college night-schooling, what felt like forever, and just completed my Master's Degree of Engineering with an MBA, while being a department manager.

At work, I was a senior manager of a twelve-member sustaining, manufacturing, and R&D engineering group. My group was known as the 'getter-done' group. All my engineers were handpicked and very good. Morale was great, they all loved pranking each other. Every Friday, I took them out for a three-hour lunch planning-meeting to let them unwind, get crap off their chests, and set the tone for the upcoming week. My group was not required to work more than eight hours per weekday, but we all seemed to do eleven to thirteen hours per day during the week depending on the projects' needs. I enjoyed my engineering kids; they were fun, sharp, witty, inquisitive, and eager to learn - no problem was unsolvable.

I let them steer their own project, or ship, only giving them minor course corrections via my method of asking leading questions. They enjoyed the challenge in obtaining answers which usually put them back on course opening the CPA (closest-point-of-approach to a disastrous ship/project collision/failure).

I took the elevator to the penthouse (our Mahogany-row executive offices). The CEO's secretary (we are still an old-school company titles) spotted me, handed me a cup of coffee (that is a first) and told me to go straight in that he was expecting me (my mind just kept resaying WTF, WTF, WTF? As I very rarely get called to the big mans office.)

Frank looked up from his CEO desk giving me a big ear-to-ear grin.

This is looking good, I thought, saying, "Good morning, sir. You wanted to see me?"

Frank pointed to the 'comfortable' chair in front of his desk.

(I thought this was good, as the other chair was the uncomfortable one, also known as the hot seat. I sat down feeling relieved, as I was told to sit in the good chair.)

Frank opened with a softball. "Dale, how things going?"

My response, "Good, actually very good. All projected tasks are on schedule if not ahead of schedule. I've got a great bunch of kids!"

Frank's smile just got wider and said, "Like always with your group."

Frank stated that he was very proud of my double Masters in Engineering and Business. "That was no easy task!" Rhetorically, Frank asked, "What are you going to do with all your free time now?"

Frank then followed up stating, "Oh hell, Dale, I imagine your head is spinning and you're trying to think what is wrong and how much of your ass will leave this office. You're doing damn good! So good that I need your help in solving a problem XYZ is having at our New Zealand plant."

"You're my best problem solver, you run a tight ship, and everyone likes how YOU captain your ship...eeeer group! I need your help getting the New Zealand plant operating to what we know it can do. I suspect the problem is in who is managing the plant, as reports say the workers are about to mutiny with their morale being in the shitter. I need you to find out what is wrong and get it fixed, ASAP. That being said, you need the power to fix the problems and I suspect there is more than one issue. I'm sending you to New Zealand as acting general manager, replacing Curt, with full authority to hire and fire, while I pull Curt back to HQ for, let's say training. I think he is having marriage problems and needs to get back here to be near his and her families. And how is your wife? Will she like a temporary move to a foreign country?"

I told Frank that we just had our tenth anniversary and we were talking of starting a family. She was a lawyer so a move to New Zealand might cause her some issues, as she is not licensed or trained to be a solicitor in New Zealand. But it would give her a focus on getting our family underway. I'd have to talk to Anita to see what she would say or what she would do.

Frank had a worried look forgetting she was a practicing lawyer. Frank said I got an idea. "Would Anita be receptive to working on the US Embassy legal team, if I were able to arrange it? Let me make a call and put out some feelers. What is Anita's specialty?"

I stated, "She specializes in corporate and foreign contracts."

Frank told me what my new salary would be as well as the bonus, what the bonus conditions were, a profit-sharing increase, and other perks of being an executive in the company. He also stated, the Board is in full agreement with making you a GM, which now is a corporate position of Jr. Vice-President." Frank asked, "Who from your group should fill your vacancy?"

Now that was a dilemma, as it could be a morale hit to the group. My most-senior engineer was not a people person and neither was the next-most-senior engineer. But the third in seniority, she would be my recommendation. She was a go-getter and worked well with everyone. On occasion, I used her to smooth over frustrations within the group. She was going to be my first choice, but I needed to announce it in such a way that it would not create a rift. I told Frank of my choice and asked him to let me announce it tomorrow, so I could condition the potential blow to the other more senior engineers - I did not want to create a problem for her.

Frank smiled and said, "You are the right man for the job - do as you need to. I back you one-hundred-one percent."

I just realized I had spent nearly the whole morning with the CEO - the time really flew. I told Frank I'd be checking in with my group and then would be going to take my wife out for an extended lunch. Frank told me to take the rest of the week off, if needed.

As I was leaving, Frank's secretary, Karen, said, "Good morning, Mr. Vice President," with a big smile. Damn, it just hit me that one of these Mahogany-row offices would eventually be mine, wow, hot diggitty damn.

I found my group in our conference room. All of them fell to their knees and bowed to me - the bunch of clowns. I asked how the hell did they find out so fast? Then I remembered Karen's brother was one of my engineers.

"Thank y'all, but I still have to fix the problems to keep the position."

Every one of them piped up asking if they could carry my bags to New Zealand... And we all laughed at that line, then I said, "MAYBE one of you, if I get home sick." Again, we all laughed, but I saw some serious pondering. I then asked the group anything that needs my attention today, if not I would be taking the day off.

My top two senior engineers buttonholed me, as I was walking out of the conference room and asked to have a private chat before I left. We went to my office and they closed the door.

Both of them started talking and I had to slow them down. They knew I'd be recommending one of them as my replacement. Both said they did not want the management role; they felt they would micro-manage the group into chaos and feuds. They told me that Lizzy was the best organizer and people-person in the group, that she often settled disputes and was a natural leader.

I could not have gotten a better break - my perceived rivalry problem was moot. I'd hand off the group to who they wanted and she was a very good natural leader that already had the respect of all. Very few engineers can lead people, but she had that rare quality while still being a sound, smart engineer. I told the two to ask Lizzy to come to my office.

Lizzy entered my office with a look of fear. I asked Lizzy to have a seat, then started to tell her I'd be leaving soon and that the group needed a leader. Her face morphed from fear into a smile. I told Lizzy, "YOU are my choice to succeed me, and I've already got you approved by the CEO." She started weeping and I thought I had done something wrong. But soon realized it was happy tears. She stated she never thought she would get the opportunity to manage, or get this promotion.

We then had a heart-to-heart discussion reaffirming my total confidence in her. I could see how conditioned female stereotyping had shaken her into believing that she would never be considered in an almost-all-male company. That actually made me look at myself and the messages my actions could have contributed; what perception was I giving? I told Lizzy the group came to me and wanted her to be their leader. "They see your abilities as I have; you have been my de facto-lead of the group for the past two years. It is my failure as your boss for taking you for granted, and not telling you how irreplaceable you have become to this group and the company. I'm truly sorry you felt forgotten."

She jumped up and into my arms hugging me and kept telling me, "You're the bestest boss I've ever worked for."

I did not micro-manage them, but allowed them to fail or win without penalties.

She continued, "We all know when you ask questions it is your way of letting us know we are going off course or schedule - and need to rethink the problem. You let us solve the problems; do you know how rare that is in an engineering environment with an engineer as a boss?"

"Lizzy, this is now your office. HR will get with you on the other details." I walked to my office door announcing to all loudly, "Please just stand up from your cubicle - I have an announcement to make."

I started seeing heads popping up but for one. Linda, our resident clown munchkin, was too short to see her head. So I stated "Linda, please wave your hands so we can see if you're home," - the room burst out in chuckles. Linda mocked me but was waving, getting another round of laughing.

To all of you, as of this moment, Lizzy is taking my place and office - she is the new group manager approved by the CEO. A bunch of whoops and 'that-a-girls' and more, came bellowing through the room. Then each of them marched to my office and bowed to Lizzy, as she was blushing so hard, a tomato looked pale.

After the last one went to their cubicle, I whispered to Lizzy, "They just showed you their allegiance to your leadership - don't blow it."

Lizzy just got a worried look and said, "This job is harder than I ever thought."

My comment was, "And you have barely seen anything yet wait for budget time."

Special lunch:

I left work to take my wife out for a very special lunch. In the years I've been working, I think I've only taken her to lunch twice when I saw the inside of her mahogany office. I cannot remember when that last lunch was, as it'd been so long ago.

I walked into the building entrance and to the front desk where a security guard was posted. I did not know if I had to sign in or call her office number. Just as I got to the desk and started to ask my question, I saw Anita coming off the elevator arm-in-arm with a man I had never seen before. She was so engrossed in their chatting and looking into his eyes while walking to the front doors, Anita never saw me and actually brushed against me at the desk. As they went through the front doors I saw Anita kiss this guy on his cheek. It was not a peck, it was a lipstick-marking kiss.

The guard then asked me if he could help me.

I asked, "Who was that couple?"

The guard told me that was Mr. and Mrs. Palidin. (I thought to myself 'I did not know I looked like that as I'm Mr. Palidin, Dale Palidin). The guard further stated that the couple had lunch together at least two to three times a week, they were a very loving couple.

I asked if that was Anita Palidin.

The guard said, "Yes, why?"

"Oh, I had a meeting scheduled with her at noon." It was then 11:55am.

The guard said they might not be back for some time, as they usually took a long lunch on Wednesdays. I just told the guard I'd wait.

I kept running our lives through my head. Was I that gullible that I did not see this? Has our sex life tapered off over the last few years? You cannot be bunnies forever. Well, it looked like she never brought her paramour home and our offices are forty minutes away in the opposite directions in the city. But maybe, she did bring him home when I was traveling. But what the hell was all this talk about family and her making a big show of dumping the remaining birth-control pills in the toilet? Am I being set up to raise someone else's bastard - that other Mr. Palidin looked very similar to me, but he ain't me.

I saw two women in Anita's office leaving for lunch who I've met before. They both looked at me trying to place me. Upon their return, almost two-hours later, seeing me still seated at the entrance, they came to me, asking if I needed help.

I said, "No thank you, ladies, I was waiting for my wife Anita Palidin."

Both blanched with blood draining from their faces, as they marched to the elevator. I was sure the cat was now well out of the bag and in a few moments via cellphone, Anita would be informed I'm in the lobby.

It was now 2:30pm. I knew all I needed to know. When I got up and told the guard that I'd come back another day. He asked me if there was any message he could give Mrs. Palidin?

I told him, "YES, please let Mrs. Palidin know that Mr. Palidin was here to take her to lunch. Thank you, have a good day."

The guard realized that he spoken too much and displayed an 'awe-shit' look. I just smiled and walked out.

I returned to work and walked into Frank's office. I told him what had just happened. He was pissed. I was enraged. He asked me how I wanted to play it. I asked Frank to have flight tickets cut for late tomorrow, and that I was resigning from XYZ and wanted to be rehired into the New Zealand XYZ branch. The company would acknowledge I resigned, and left for other opportunities with no forwarding information.

Frank said, "Done. Your public HR file will reflect that, and our executive files are company confidential private. Nothing will actually change but your XYZ location."

I asked Frank to please call Lizzy up to his office, so I could tell her what I was doing. I wanted to assure her that I was not abandoning her or the group, I consult for her anonymously from afar when needed. Lizzy was devastated and hugged me hard, promising me she would play along with the rouse, without question. Frank told me Anita would not be allowed inside the company buildings either.

I went home to pack and made a few phone calls. My parents died in a car accident years ago and my brother is a Marine Gunny special-ops. I never knew what the hell he was doing nor where he was, but he would drop in once a year to give me his manly bro hug and we would swap truthful lies aka BSing.

Lo and behold, this time, he was at Camp Pendleton when I called him.

I asked Mikey if he'd like to have a guest for this coming weekend.

"Hell ya, squid. Get your ass out here."

I stated back, "That is Chief Squid to you, pollywog."

His retort was, "Pollywog my ass. I'm a Crusty Trusty Imperial Shellback and even a Blue-Nose. How's my favorite li'l sister, Anita?"

And here, I stumbled for words, leaving a big pregnant pause; then stating that was what we needed to talk about.

"Oh shit, what did you do?"

"Not a damn thing that I know of..."

"Hmmm, just get your butt out here now. There is nothing Dalwhinnie cannot fix."

We both chuckled ending our call.

I stopped at the bank, cancelling all our joint credit cards, where I discovered a charge today for Embassy Suites Hotel. I know this hotel; there is no bar or restaurant in it. I'm even paying for her whoopee time too. I was hardening very quickly.

While waiting for the bank to take care of me, I texted Frank's secretary to add in a flight layover for three days in LA or San Diego.

I pulled all the savings into a bank draft leaving her the CDs which was about half of the savings; got my passport from the safety deposit box, and grabbed my mom's wedding rings. I set up a new account at my old bank, that on the first of every month, would make an automatic escrow payment in my name, covering half of the mortgage, home insurance, and property taxes. This way, Anita could not claim abandonment as there was no law saying I must live with a cheating slut and my credit rating would not get dinged. Eventually, we would divorce, but I wanted her to suffer humiliation.

I went across the street to an international bank, opening a new account ensuring that I would have access from New Zealand and deposited all my checks totaling just over five-hundred-thousand dollars, but for nine-thousand in pocket cash. I couldn't take over ten-thousand dollars out of the USA, or customs would nab me - as a likely drug dealer.

I was going to pack up most of my clothes, so I picked up two wardrobe boxes on the way home. I put some special mementos in the bottom of the boxes, that I'd leave at shipping tomorrow morning when I picked up my tickets. Loaded all my tools and guns into my pickup truck and headed for storage rental. I put my tools, cased guns, and more into an inside-heated humidity-controlled rental, paying for one year in advance. I paid for extra security, so they put their lock and mine on the unit. I gave them the secret verification password and a lockdown password code and then went seeking a hotel room for the night.

I went for my last American steak at Texas Roadhouse. While eating, I turned my cell phone back on and found twenty or more messages and texts. I first scanned for work-related messages finding many. I was confirmed to have a three-day layover at LAX and a rental car ready. Damn Frank's secretary was good. Tickets would be waiting for me by 9:00am tomorrow with some extra.

Frank left me a message to see him first thing in the morning to say goodbye and good luck. My bro called back and told me he got my texts about when I should arrive at the Camp Pendleton San Onofre gate. Lizzy told me she talked to the group and that they were all mum, and if I needed any help, to please call them. She said that many of them really hated cheaters and would go out of their way to bring hell upon her.