A Surprising Two Days

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It would have cost a bundle, so dad just got a new one. You can look forward to that when you come here again. And you can drive next time too. My record isn't very good."

It suddenly struck me that our conversation was about when we got together next time. I was a part of that conversation, but a lot could happen between now and then. Plus, it was so different from the usual Arianna. Would it be like a second week, or just finishing off the first one that was cut short? Did it matter? Was I being ridiculous?

We talked for another twenty minutes until Noah had to leave for work...the evening shift that he disliked. We said goodbye with nothing mentioned about getting together again, on the phone, at least, which was fine with me. With no classes or studying, I had plenty of time, so there was no reason for avoiding it. I'd just wait to see what happened.

Noah

Damn job. Well, not really the job but just the evening shift and having to cut short the conversation with Arianna. I knew she'd call; she seemed far too sweet and considerate to ignore what I'd done. And when she'd switched to facetime, things got even more enjoyable. She was, well, very pretty, and those hazel eyes were easily seen, even on the phone.

We hadn't said anything about contacting each other again. Maybe that's the way she wanted it. Someone who looks as good as she does and is working on a degree in theoretical physics was probably way out there, and beyond anything I could offer. Maybe when she became famous, I could brag to my friends about snuggling with her bikini-clad body on a deserted island.

My days were fairly normal now with work and helping around the house to try to "earn" my free rent. My old habit of relaxing in the evening with a jet ski ride was still very prevalent, except that each ride reminded me of the one with Arianna. It was annoying because our whole time together was just a few hours, and I was anxious to forget her...at least I thought I was, but she kept intruding into my thoughts.

I debated for several days before doing it. I didn't like to think of myself as a stalker, but maybe I could look on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook to see if I could find additional information. Nothing on the first two, but I did find her on Facebook...sort of. She clearly wasn't a social media addict, as there were only five posts in the last year, but there were a few pictures, one of them showing her with three other girls snowboarding.

Snow. I'd seen snow maybe three times, and that had not really been snow. One time it had nearly covered the grass but was gone in about two hours when it warmed up. I checked out some internet information on snowboarding, even watching several videos. I knew it had to be cold, something I was not used to at all, but everyone seemed to be laughing and having a good time. As I watched, I realized I was picturing myself learning to snowboard...with Ari. Maybe someday.

Several days later, I'd just gotten home from work, ready for my evening ride, when my phone buzzed. A message from Arianna. I couldn't keep the smile from filling my face.

I said I was going to do this, so here it is.

Attached to the message was a photo--it was the turtle tattoo, but there was something different about it. The question mark was there, but under it were two initials--NB. My heart began beating faster almost immediately. Why had she included my initials on the tattoo? They'd be there for the rest of her life. I stared at the photo, my index finger poised to spring into action. She'd sent the picture, so...

A couple of quick punches, and I could hear her phone ringing.

"You got my text?"

Answering like that told me she'd put my number into her contacts. It warmed me.

"I sure did. It's just like you said it would be, except for one thing,"

She giggled. "Yeah, I decided to add something so that when I'm old, I'll remember who I was with."

"Wow. When you win the Nobel Prize, and the reporter covering it asks about the initials on the tattoo, I'll be famous too."

"Not sure I'd count on that happening, but I like to be thorough."

To another subject. "We'll see about that, but listen, I don't follow Pennsylvania weather, so have you guys had any snow yet?" I felt a little devious, but not enough to keep from saying it.

"It's still a little early, although we are having some cold weather, and I understand a couple of the ski areas have had some snow. They make their own snow anyway, but the cold weather keeps it from melting."

"Describe to me what it's like to be out in the snow."

There was a small pause. "Wait, you mean you've never been around snow?"

"Not really. Just a couple of dustings." When there was a pause on her end, I wondered.

Arianna

Handling theoretical physics problems was much simpler than this. He'd never been around snow. Was he hinting that I should invite him to visit so he could see some snow? I mean, I enjoyed being with him for sure, but if I invited him, would he think it meant I wanted to start a relationship? If he was female, there wouldn't be an issue. This gender thing could be a pain in the you-know-what.

I had time, I rationalized. The second semester didn't begin until January, so that wasn't an issue. Mom would be thrilled to have a guy visiting me, and Dad would be very pleased too. I'd dated lots of guys, but one date was the standard, and two was really pushing things. This wasn't a date, but inviting him to visit me seemed like more than a date.

I bit my lower lips and decided, hoping I wouldn't regret it.

"We'll be having snow here before long. Plenty to see for sure."

That certainly left things hanging, and I wondered how he'd respond.

"Maybe someday I'll get north and see it." The disappointment in his voice was palpable.

Maybe if I switched to facetime. I did.

"Hello there, Arianna. It's always good to see your face." His voice sounded different now.

"Yours too, Noah." With a big smile, and a tightness in my stomach, I added, "If you could get a week's vacation in December, you could come here and see lots of snow, I'm sure."

I wondered if he could see the tension in my face.

The change in his expression was priceless but nerve-wracking. What was he thinking now that I'd said that?

"I'd love that," he said very simply. "I have plenty of vacation, so just let me know the best time, and I'll be there. I'll probably have to buy some warm clothes."

The thought of him being cold, rather than me, caused me to smile.

"What's that smile?" he asked with one of his own.

"Nothing," I fibbed. "Just thinking of having fun snowboarding."

"I may use that tattoo picture as wallpaper on my phone."

I tried to look stern. "Don't you dare, Noah."

He laughed. "No one would know," he said, "but I bow to your authority."

I think I was flattered a little that someone would want to use my tattoo as wallpaper on their phone, but it was troubling as well. It certainly indicated that he had special feelings for me, and I wasn't sure I was ready for that. Seven-day feelings were okay, but more than that had always been outside of my limits.

I giggled. "It's your picture--I gave up control when I sent it."

"Now you're putting me on the spot, huh?" he replied with a chuckle. "We'll discuss it when I come to Pennsylvania."

"It's a deal," I said, "and one more thing. Just call me Ari."

"Arianna is a beautiful name, and I enjoy hearing it, although it's usually me saying it. But Ari, it will be."

Somehow, he was usually able to turn my reservations into anticipation. We'd had just a few hours together the last time, but I'd invited him for a week, so that would make him officially one of my one-week adventures. Maybe after that, things would be clearer. I certainly hoped so.

◇-◇-◇-◇

We talked several times between my inviting him to Pennsylvania and the date of his visit. I'd done some planning in order to simplify things and save money for Noah. My grandmother lived within walking distance and had a heated apartment over her garage. She said she'd be more than happy to have Noah stay there. I'd have to warn him that she'd unabashedly question him about himself and our relationship. There were no secrets with Wren Shepherd unless you were very careful.

We consulted a couple of times on warm clothes, a subject that seemed to fascinate Noah. He confessed that he had no heavy coat. His father thought it was a waste of money to buy something you might only wear once every three years.

"So, what do you do when it gets cold there?" I asked. "I assume it does get cold."

"I use lots and lots of layers," he laughed.

"Okay, let's be practical then, like your father."

"Oh, lord," he said with a groan.

"Instead of one big heavy coat, use several lighter layers. That way, you'll have things to wear on cool days at the beach."

There were several conversations like that. None of the calls were simply chats--they all had a purpose if that was important. It seemed to be to me.

Noah

In three days, I'd be leaving for Pennsylvania and some snow and snowboarding. I'd been telling myself that very thing for the past couple of weeks, but I knew there was more. That pretty face with the hazel eyes had lurked in the photo album of my phone until I'd finally gathered my courage and made it my wallpaper. I'd change that before leaving for Pennsylvania.

Something about only being able to see her during our facetime calls after cuddling her nearly bare body on the island had been tormenting me since that very first call. Was it my imagination, some kind of fantasy that held me simply because she was now untouchable? I have to admit I was anxious to find out.

I took two suitcases to the airport; one had regular clothing, and the other was filled with "layers." I was four hours away from seeing Ari again. Finally aboard the plane, I sent a text.

I'm boarded and ready to go

Will see you in Pittsburgh came the prompt reply.

I played games on my tablet and listened to music from the phone. While I listened...I looked...at Ari's photo, now back in my photo files, replaced by the tattoo picture she'd sent me. Seeing the NB there always brought a smile to my face. I wondered if I'd actually see that tattoo since it certainly wasn't bikini weather.

We stopped in Atlanta, which was interesting. I had to change concourses with the train temporarily out of service. I kept moving, and moving fast, and made it without a lot of time to spare. The flight to Pittsburgh was nearly a repeat of the first flight, with less game-playing and more looking.

Once we landed, everything moved far too slowly as I found my way to the baggage area behind ambling travelers. Finally rescuing my two bags from the turntable, I nearly ran to the exit door. As I exited, I saw the smile...and, more importantly, the open arms.

We hugged, and, cliche or not, the aroma of her perfume was intoxicating.

"You're not ready to go out in the cold like that," she said with a giggle, the sound that had become so enticing to me.

"How many layers do I need?" I asked, opening one suitcase.

"Once outside, it's about a hundred yards to the car, so maybe two layers."

"I pulled out a sweatshirt and a jacket. In one minute, I was ready."

Arianna

I could see him through the door, slipping between people to grab each suitcase. I tried to evaluate how I was feeling but gave up, deciding to just enjoy the moment...or moments.

When he came through the door, after the island and the phone calls, a hug came very naturally. I wondered what it would be like to kiss him. Maybe I'd find out before he went back south.

I'd kissed a lot of my one-week guys, but we never got past that. I wouldn't allow more to happen. The specter of my uncles and their issues always seemed to linger in my mind, waiting for a chance to interfere in my life.

I'd worn perfume to the airport, something I didn't often do, and hoped the aroma might affect him. It was me fighting with myself, doing things to make something happen, then hoping it didn't happen. It almost seemed I enjoyed putting myself in dangerous positions, then working to escape them. And I was just beginning a week of doing just that.

"Seeing you on the phone is one thing, a nice thing. But seeing you in person is... so much better."

I couldn't miss the warmth and sincerity in his voice, but the slight pause told me he might have had another way to describe that but had danced around it. His eyes only added to the aura that seemed to radiate from his body...and engulf me. But that look of his was also infectious, and I could sense feelings within myself that I didn't usually experience. They created both nervousness and excitement. I simply needed to ignore the nervousness and enjoy the excitement. There would be a week of it, having a boy that I'd invited to, well, spend the week with me.

"The gods have smiled on you," I said, gesturing outside.

"I saw it as the plane landed. The snow is beautiful."

We hurried to the car, Noah not allowing me to carry any of his luggage. The temperature was about twenty degrees with a cold wind, and by the time we reached the car, he was visibly shivering. We stashed the luggage in the back seat, and Noah climbed into the front, hugging himself in an effort to warm up. On the island, he'd hugged me to keep me warm, but reciprocity wasn't too feasible now.

"I think I should have gone with three layers, but the car will be warm in a few minutes, or we can dig that third layer out of your suitcase."

"I need to get used to the cold. I'll be okay."

I could only imagine how he was feeling since I was used to the cold and anticipated it. It was an almost new experience for him.

We were off to my place as I needed to introduce Noah to my parents before subjecting him to my Grams. I wasn't looking forward to either, mostly due to my reticence regarding relationships. By the time we reached the house, my nerves were on edge, but at least Noah had stopped shivering and was now smiling at me.

"Does that smile have special significance?"

"Two things. I'm warm, but more importantly, when you jumped on the rescue boat, I thought I'd never see you again. Now, here you are."

Had I felt like that? Not exactly, I guess, but here I was, and here he was, in Pennsylvania and not at the beach...at my invitation. Seven days.

It was an hour's drive to the house, and we filled that time with talk, bringing each other up to date on things that had occupied our lives since their last day together. I learned about the new jet ski, and he heard about snow and snowboarding. I even tried to prepare him to meet Grams.

At the house, I introduced him to the parents. Dad shook his hand while gripping his shoulder. Mom opened her arms and hugged him, I'm sure hoping he was the one to help provide grandchildren. I knew my mom better than I knew myself.

My parents probed as subtly as they knew how, and Noah was...well, Noah. Still, it would be seven days, and then he would be gone. I would be back in school, and studying would consume all of my time.

My phone buzzed.

I ignored it.

Moments later, my ringtone sounded. It was Darcy.

I refused the call.

It rang again.

I excused myself and went to another room.

"Darcy, I'm kind of busy."

"Busy with that guy. This is the week, right?"

"Yes, this is the week, and yes, busy with that guy. I hope you have a pleasant day. Goodbye, Darcy."

I hoped she'd get the message and not call again.

Mother gave me a glance and a big grin when I returned. I thought they'd had enough time to probe Noah, and they'd have more time with him as the week passed.

"Ready to head to Grams' and get settled?" At Grams', he'd be anything but settled, at least for a while.

He nodded to me. "I'm sure I'll be seeing you more this week," he said to Mom and Dad.

Another hug and handshake and we were off to Grams.

"How do you stand this constant cold," he asked, laughing as we climbed into my car.

"Well, it's about thirty now, and tomorrow, when we head to Seven Springs, it'll be about twenty, with a wind blowing. We'll be sure you're bundled up well."

It was a short trip to Grams' house. We had barely gotten started when Noah surprised me.

"Do you know the meaning of your name?"

"Um, not at all."

From the corner of my eye, as I drove, I could see his big smile.

"It's from the Greek, and it means most holy."

I looked at him. "You're teasing me."

"Nope. That's what it means."

"Well, it's not biblical, like Noah."

"Do you think it fits?"

I didn't think I was a demon, but I wasn't most holy by any stretch.

"I do my best," I giggled.

"The most certainly applies."

Foolishly, I asked, "How's that?"

"Where should I begin?" Noah asked, taking a deep breath.

"Don't," I cautioned since we were pulling into Grams' driveway.

Grams was waiting for us with hot chocolate and a warm smile. Her hug was the same for Noah and me.

I stayed long enough to get Noah settled in the apartment. I'd forgotten how warm and welcoming it was. I knew I'd be perfectly comfortable living there...under different circumstances.

Grams gave me another hug when I was ready to leave.

"Your turn," she said to Noah, who looked at me, smiled, and hugged me tenderly.

"I'll be here about eight-thirty," I said as I went out the door, leaving him to Grams, hoping she'd be gentle.

Noah

Ari had warned me about Grams. I hoped I was ready. We both sat down.

"So glad you decided to stay in the apartment. It's very convenient."

"It is for sure, and thanks for letting me use it."

"You're very welcome. How long have you known Arianna?"

So much for preliminaries.

"Since early fall. A little over two months, I think."

"And she invited you here?"

"I was surprised too. I've never seen snow, and I think she felt sorry for me."

Grams leaned back, eyes wide. "Never seen snow?"

"A few flakes, but never snow like I see here."

"Whatever the reason, she's never done anything like this before."

What kind of an answer was Grams expecting?

"I was surprised, but I'm anxious to have some fun in the snow." Not good, but the best I had.

"But you two live far apart. She met you during her week at the beach, and there was some kind of a boat accident, right?"

"That's right." I could see where she was headed. "We had one exciting day together there."

"Well, you must be very special then. Arianna is very particular about her men. Are you a student too?"

"No, I'm a pharmacist."

"That's very impressive. You should be able to take care of her very nicely, then."

"Well, that's..." I think Grams was thinking about great-grandchildren. And I wasn't sure how to reply. A subtle change.

"When she graduates next June, I think she should be able to take care of herself with the degree she's getting."

"Eh, I suppose so," Grams said, shaking her head as though she didn't really believe that. "But having someone to share your life with is the best way to live. My Bill and I were so happy until three years ago when cancer took him away."

I thought I could see a tear in her eye.

"Ari needs a Bill to share with her."

Grams didn't beat around the bush."

"Well..." I stumbled.

"Just call me Grams. Everyone else does."

"Well, Grams, Ari and I haven't gotten to know each other very well yet, but what I know about her is great, including her Grams."

That brought a subdued chuckle from the gray-haired lady.

"There must be something about you she likes because she invited you here. That's never happened before. Local guys come after her, but she only has one date...maybe two, and we never see them again."

If Grams was trying to build up my self-confidence, it was working. I wasn't sure Ari was ready to have me as her "Bill," and I wasn't sure I was ready to, well, commit to anything. She was beautiful, had those fascinating hazel eyes, and a near-perfect figure. She was obviously very intelligent too. I was, well, a small-town pharmacist, and I hoped that one day I could own my own pharmacy...probably in a small town. I wasn't sure how that aligned with Arianna.