A Tale of Two Sisters Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tammy yelled down, "We can watch it while we play with the girls."

I stayed the whole time until Mrs. Milano said Tammy had to go to bed. Then I stayed a little longer and had a talk with Mrs. Milano. I found out a little.

Mrs. Milano told me Marty was still having a tough time. She said Virna was mad at me because she thought I should be trying to help her get through the separation. I didn't say anything. I was having my own postpartum blues. I asked her how she and Mr. Milano were doing. Though I'd just exchanged emails I still asked about Dominick. I also asked after Virna.

Mrs. Milano gave me something of an earful. Marty had quit her job and just sat around the house all day eating junk food and crying. Mrs. Milano said she and her husband were arguing a lot. They were worried about both of their girls; Marty because she was so listless, and Virna because they didn't like this Morgan fellow. Mrs. Milano said she and her husband, though they weren't prejudiced, thought Morgan was. They'd heard through the grapevine he'd been married before to another white woman, and he'd dated a few other women, all of them white.

Mrs. Milano said Mr. Milano said Morgan acted like a pimp. She said they were afraid to say anything to Virna because lately, especially since Marty and I'd separated, she, Virna, had become increasingly belligerent. She said they'd hoped Dominick would have talked some sense into her when he was here, but the two of them never got hooked up long enough to really talk.

I definitely got the message. I remembered when I was in high school how 'jungle fever' had swept up some of the white girls. I never fully understood it at the time, but I eventually realized a lot had been going on. For one thing there was a lot of societal pressure. The media kept pushing the gay rights thing, the homosexual thing, and interracial relationships. It was like if someone disagreed with the most extreme liberal idea they were a bigot.

Then there was the cold hard fact that a lot of white boys were just too damned awkward and backward when it came to girls. I remembered how shy I was. Add to that more than a few of the black boys weren't age appropriate, and some of them were really aggressive when it came to getting at that 'white nookie'. I can remember hearing some of them bragging when they thought no one was listening; they'd brag about scoring with this or that 'white' girl. It was tough enough for a lot of white boys to get up the courage to ask a girl out, but then to have to compete with some black kid who was two or three years older and in the same grade, man that was a daunting task. And of course last, a lot of girls just did things to piss their parents off, and for a great many families on the Eastern Shore nothing could piss some white parents off more than to have their sweet little daughters go out with some 'Negro'. I refuse to consider the word they really used.

I listened to everything Mrs. Milano had to say. I felt bad about Marty, but that was something she'd have to work through. I hated to admit it, but I still missed her. I missed her more than I ever thought I would. I still broke down now and then, but I knew we were over, I could never trust her. I thought maybe I'd call her every now and then.

The deal with Virna; well I'd seen firsthand the fruits of what Mrs. Milano was worried about. Virna already had one child out of wedlock, and if Mr. and Mrs. Milano's suspicions were accurate I thought Virna could be playing with fire. But was I my ex-sister-in-law's keeper? I thought not! Still, as long as I was in the area I owed it to myself, and I guess to Dominick, to try to be friendly. I guess I should try to stop in at the Eagles Nest a little more often. Yeah I'd do that.

++++++++++

My first move was to email Dominick. He was still in port, and though he was taking classes and doing maintenance he still had enough time to spare for me. We back and forthed several times, and he filled me on what he knew. He told me some things I wished I hadn't heard.

I guess my biggest question had been how a Western Maryland girl like Virna ever got to know a Johns Hopkins heart specialist. Dominick told me Virna had been born with a mildly irregular heartbeat; it was a kind of arrhythmia I had some familiarity with and I knew it could easily become life threatening. In fact according to Dominick that is exactly what happened.

It was after Tammy had been born, and Virna was working at some warehouse. She'd been up all night working and guzzling caffeine. Well she apparently collapsed right in front of a tow motor as it was unloading a truck. One of the workmen recognized her problem as cardiac arrest; he administered CPR, and saved her life. They called in an ambulance and got her to a hospital. A few days later after being released her dad took her to Baltimore for further analysis. They made a complete diagnosis, prescribed the necessary drugs, mostly anticoagulants, and her dad brought her home. Of course she changed jobs, changed her diet, and since then she's been compelled to make regular visits to local health care facilities where they track her blood and thyroid. It was when she went through the procedures at Hopkins that she met Dr. Morgan Benedict, and he'd been sniffing around ever since.

Honestly, her warehouse crisis had occurred before I ever showed up, and though the doctor and Virna had been acquainted for at least three years I'd never seen or heard of him before the party at her parents in October. He must have been traveling well below the radar, but then I remember hearing from Dominick he was divorced. I suppose his separation must have been fairly recent, and he probably remembered Virna's single status.

Dominick and I continued to email, but Virna's medical condition was the only thing that came up that was of any significance. I thought I might be able to use it as an opening if I ever got a chance to talk to her; that chance did finally come but not through anything I did.

Tammy was more than just another pretty little girl; she was a precocious ball of fire just loaded with talent. I'd seen some of the things she liked, but dancing seemed to be her true love. I knew she'd been taking dancing lessons, but I never knew just how good she was. Anyway she was good enough to be considered for a slot in a private dance school. It would cost a little money, but I knew Mr. Milano was a middle manager at an electronics corporation, Sierra-Nevada Corporation, or something. I know he did a lot of traveling. Actually he was more on the technical side than the management thing. He made good money.

One of Tammy's teachers had set up a performance for Tammy; actually it was an audition but Tammy didn't know it. Tammy insisted that I get an invitation.

The performance was scheduled for a Saturday. My schedule had changed so I had to arrange to get off. I got to the location early; it was set up to take place at the Maryland Theater, a facility in Hagerstown where the Maryland Symphony played. Tammy had been scheduled for two different performances, a lyrical thing and some kind of acrobatic skit. Her two acts were just a part of dozens of things to be done by more than thirty different children.

Even though I was early the place was nearly filled up. Virna was backstage with Tammy, but Mrs. Milano had told me to save two seats down in front; one for Tammy and the other for Virna. The Milanos and Marty planned on sitting further back. I smelled a set up.

Tammy's first performance came almost right away, but her second wasn't scheduled until near the end. Tammy did her lyrical and the two of them came out. We had at least two hours before they had to go backstage again. I thought this could be good; we had two things we could talk about, Tammy and Virna's condition.

They came out. Tammy was still in her costume; she looked adorable. Virna was wearing a dark green blouse, a soft wool sweater, jeans, and tennis shoes. Virna saw me and the empty seats, but started toward the rear of the theater. Then Tammy saw me and insisted they sit where I was.

They squeezed between the other patrons till they reached me. Virna plopped Tammy in the middle seat and proceeded to look in every direction but mine. Tammy had no such reservations; she left her seat and climbed on my lap. Then she turned to Virna and said, "Come on mommy move over and sit with us."

Virna had no choice but to move over. Lucky for me someone else asked to take the seat Virna vacated. There was no way she could escape.

I smiled at Virna, "She did a nice job didn't she."

Virna avoided eye contact, "I thought so."

Tammy interjected, "I missed two steps in my routine."

I chuckled, "You could've fooled me."

Tammy squirmed; she had the hardest elbows and knees, "The judges saw it."

Virna said, "Maybe not."

Tammy added, "I'm not worried I'll kill them when I do my acrobatic routine."

I asked, "You're good?"

Virna caught my eye, "Good? You just watch."

I asked Virna, "You ever do anything like this?"

"I used to," she curtly replied.

I gave her a serious look, "Yeah I guess that wouldn't be a good idea now would it?"

Tammy proffered, "My mom has a bad heart."

I smiled, "I know."

Virna got agitated, "Who told you?"

"Dominick," I said.

Virna looked angry, "Why are you so nosy? There's no reason for you to be snooping into my life."

Tammy was watching us talk; her head was going back and forth like a ping pong ball. She looked at me, "You like my mommy don't you."

It wasn't a question, more a statement of fact, "Yes I do Tammy. I like her very much."

Tammy grinned at me, "My mommy likes you too."

Virna scowled, "That's enough Tammy."

This was great, I asked, "Does she talk about me? What does she say?"

"She talks about you all the time," replied Tammy, "she says your very kind, and I'm lucky to have an uncle like you."

That sounded good, but kind of generic. Not that I cared, but I wondered if there might be more, "does she say anything else?'

Virna warned, "Tammy."

Tammy looked from her mother to me, and then she said, "I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I think you're my mommy's Mr. Right."

Virna got up, "Come on Tammy we need to go to the ladies room, and then get you changed," she pointedly avoided looking at me.

Tammy surprised me as much as she surprised her mother. At a loss for words I asked, "Should I save your seat?"

I got a brusque reply, "No."

I stayed and watched till the end of the program. Tammy did wow everyone with her acrobatic routine. When it was over I went to the back to meet up with Mrs. Milano, Marty, and hopefully Tammy and Virna. Once in the back I got a disquieting message. Mrs. Milano told me Virna and Tammy were hooking up with Morgan Benedict for an early supper. Marty asked me to join her and her mom, but I begged off. I lied and told them I had to work the late shift. I told them that had been the trade-off I'd made to get to see Tammy. Marty looked disappointed, but Mrs. Milano seemed relieved.

I drove back to my apartment and thought things over. I knew Dominick didn't like the doctor, and I suspected much the same was true with Mr. and Mrs. Milano. I also knew Dominick expected me to find a way to head the doctor off. I knew I had no business sticking my neck into Virna's personal life and though I knew I shouldn't I still had this disquieting feeling that if I didn't I'd be sorry for it.

++++++++++

I got off work at 6:00 Monday and drove over to the Eagles Nest. Virna was already there when I went in. I pulled up a stool at the bar right in front of her. She started to walk away. I called to her loudly, "Virna don't walk away from me."

She turned and looked, but continued to move toward the other end of the bar. I got up and followed her. When she stopped I stopped, "Virna we have to talk."

She looked right through me, "Pabst?"

I replied, "Jim Beam, straight."

That got her attention but only for a second, "You want a water chaser?"

I said, "No I want to talk."

Virna looked at Mel her boss, "I'll only be a minute," she got me my bourbon and water. She poured herself a water, walked around the bar and pointed to an empty booth. I followed her over. We sat down opposite each other.

She glared at me, "I resent you hanging around. I want you to leave me and my daughter alone."

I responded, "Can't do that."

"Yeah, you better. I could get a restraining order out on you for stalking."

I got mad. I answered, "OK. I hear you." I quaffed down my bourbon, stood up and started toward the door.

That's when I heard her, "Wait a minute."

I turned back around and returned her glare with a steely gaze of my own, "What for?"

She tapped the side of the table where'd I been seated, "Come back and sit down."

I hesitated a second and saw her genuine desire to see me come back so I did. After retaking my seat I said, "I didn't cheat on Marty; she cheated on me. I couldn't live with that. I didn't chase you to the dance recital, Tammy invited me. I didn't go to your parents for Christmas to see you. Dominick called me. I'll admit it bothers me that you hate me. I guess I just wanted to understand why, but I see now it doesn't matter. If Tammy asks about me just tell her I'm busy with work and school. I promise. I'll leave you alone," I started to get up again.

"No wait," she proffered me a seat again. I didn't take the offer this time. I just stood there.

Virna said, "Look I have to work right now. When are you off next?"

"I go in late tomorrow, not till 6:00."

She tried to hold my gaze but I wouldn't let her, she said, "Look I'm done my day job at 4:00, maybe we could meet someplace."

I didn't want to make this easy, "I'll stop by your house."

That surprised her, "No...I meant."

"I know what you meant. No I'll see you at your house or we can just forget it."

"Why my house," she asked?

"I like Tammy; it might be the last time I'll ever get to see her."

She was flustered, "No that's not..."

I interrupted her. I leaned down on the table and firmly and not very kindly told her, "I don't need this shit Virna. Dominick asked me to do him a favor and I said I'd try. Well I tried. I said I liked your daughter, and I do. I really do. I'm still struggling with Marty issues, and though I don't know why, I even like you. You want to play house with a Hopkins doctor, well good for you. He can't fuck up your life any more than it already is. Like I said I'm sick of the whole fucking mess," I turned to go.

She said, "OK, my house tomorrow. I'll bring home a pizza."

I started to walk away, "Don't put yourself out."

She called after me, "You'll come. You'll be there?"

I glanced back, "Yeah," and I stalked on out of the bar.

++++++++++

I got to Virna's at 4:00 sharp; she was already there. When she let me in I could smell the pizza.

I asked her, "You already ordered the stuff?"

"No, I took the day off; you're getting homemade."

"Why all the trouble," I asked?"

"Tammy likes it."

Just then Tammy rushed in, "Uncle Gary!" I got a big hug.

I scooped her up and kissed her, "How's my girl? I enjoyed your dancing. You really did wow them with the acrobatic didn't you?"

She laughed, "You stayed? Mommy said you left."

I gave her a squeeze, "I wouldn't have done that, not for the world," I put her back down.

Tammy said, "I already had some pizza. I have to go in the living room now. Mommy said you were going to have a serious discussion," then she skipped off to the living room.

I looked at Virna, "Serious discussion?"

"Come in the kitchen. You want a beer?"

"No coke or coffee is better. I have to be at work at 6:00."

We went in. Virna handed me two slices of cheese pizza on a plate, and poured me a coke. We both sat down.

Virna said, "It's not whether I like you or not; it's just that I don't see any future in being around you."

I agreed, "I don't see any future in it either," I took a bite of pizza; it was quite good, still hot, it burned the top of my mouth.

"Gary you married my sister and it didn't work. Now all she does is cry and apologize. My dad and mom are at their wits end. I get emails from Dominick warning me about Dr. Benedict. He says Morgan just wants to get in my pants. I'm not sure. I think the doctor's sincere. I know he cares about Tammy. You're a nice guy Gary, a great guy actually, but you need to get away from this family."

I didn't say anything. I just put the pizza down and watched her. All this that I was hearing from her was just nervous blather. She stopped and just sat there. She kept fiddling with the edge of the table. She started drumming her fingertips on the tabletop. She was wearing a white blouse and a lacy white bra underneath. I could see her dark aureole; her nipples were pressed against the material. I realized that was certainly why she'd picked the outfit. She looked up at me and kept blinking her eyes.

I don't know which one of us got up first, but I suddenly found my arms around her and my lips were on hers. She had her hand on the back of my neck. It was a long slow languid kiss, and then it was over.

Virna stepped back, "Maybe you should go."

I nodded, "Maybe you're right," I got up, grabbed my coat and left as quickly as I could.

++++++++++

I didn't drive away. I walked down to the delicatessen where she'd bought me the corned beef. I ordered another and sat down. I had to think this through. I did try to think. I tried to think about what had happened. Hell, I didn't like Virna. I didn't hate her, but I sure didn't like her, not that way. But that kiss, that kiss was something else. I felt something, and I knew she felt something too. I figured it would probably be best if she hooked up with the doctor. Who knows, he might even marry her. Yeah, that was the best thing. He could provide for Tammy. He might even become a good husband.

I sat back and looked out the window. It was just another grey wintery day. Did I really think Morgan Benedict was a good choice for Virna? Though my family held some pretty strong views, I never considered myself a racist, but the idea of his black hands groping all over her body, his lips covering hers, his...I put those thoughts out of my mind.

I thought about the two of them getting married. I bet he'd buy her a big diamond, maybe two or three carats. Her mom would probably re-alter her wedding gown again. She'd get a new long veil; it would be starkly and beautifully white. I felt my stomach knot up at the thought of her walking down the church aisle, the church where Marty and I were married, the church I still attended. That doctor would be waiting at the other end. He'd take her hand; he'd lift that veil. He'd kiss her. I felt sick. He didn't belong there. He didn't fit the picture. Somebody else needed to be there waiting for her.

I thought about the sight of Virna in that over-long black leather coat; it just didn't suit her, it wasn't her. I couldn't help it I saw Virna in a much shorter suede with an open fur collar. Virna didn't get it; she was a short mid-thigh brown suede not a long ankle length black leather.

I realized this wasn't getting me anywhere. I was stuck in Western Maryland at least until June. That hit a nerve; if they got married it would most likely be a June wedding. If only for Tammy I'd be expected to show up. I just didn't see Virna marrying him. The thought of him lifting her veil, kissing her, me shaking his hand as I passed through the receiving line; it all revolted me. He just wasn't the right man. I couldn't finish the corned beef.

I checked my watch, 5:30. I pulled out my cell phone and called in sick. I put my coat back on and walked back up to Virna's. I knew she'd be going to work soon, but I still had to say something.