A Wandering Spirit

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There is no electricity here or plumbing, and I have an outdoor privy. I like coming here to be reminded of the way things used to be."

As Anna opened the wooden door, her lantern revealed a series of elaborate carvings on the door. Stepping inside, a fire was burning in the central pit of a single large room. Above the fire was an opening in the thatched ceiling for smoke to escape. Wooden benches lined the sides of the fire pit, with one covered by furs. Various hand tools and bags of root vegetables hung from the walls.

There was a strong smell of smoke, not unpleasant, but pervasive, as if slowly infused into every part of the farmhouse. The smell reminded me of an American barbecue restaurant but smelled much more mature. I wondered how long, years, decades, or even centuries, smoked and spit-roasted meats added their essence to the continual fires required to keep warm during the long winter nights.

Anna pointed, "If you need to wash up, you can use the soapstone basin over there."

I replied, "Fa-Fa-Fa Fire is what I need! You can call me Leah." I moved nearer to the source of the warmth.

Anna suggested I remove my wet clothing and lay them over the benches to dry. I glanced over at her as she removed her cloak, and saw the glint of golden metal beneath it. She clapped her two silver bracelets together, and there was a bright flash, forcing me to glance away. When I looked back, she was wearing a simple natural-colored linen tunic. A leather tie belt with brass trim, drew the loose fabric tight around her waist, highlighting her shapely figure. She wore a silver necklace with a small pendant hanging from it.

"Did I just see golden armor beneath your cloak? Or am I imagining things?"

Anna replied, "You probably saw the reflection of the yellow fire against my wet tunic." Grasping the bottom of her tunic, she lifted it over her head and laid it over a bench. She was completely naked! Her athletic body looked amazing! Muscles I could only dream of having, with the rest of her physique lean and fit.

I was in awe, "You must work out quite often."

She replied, "Almost daily, since there is much to prepare for. You should remove your clothing, Leah, to allow it to dry by morning. There is plenty of wood for the fire, and until then you can use these furs. Don't worry, they are not real. Wild animals belong in nature. These are faux fur, made from recycled ocean plastics."

I saw the logic of what Anna said and stripped down to my base layer before pausing. This was the second night in a row I would be spending with a naked woman, but pangs of modesty still lingered. I walked over and picked up one of the furs and used it to shield the removal of my base layer. I wrapped the fur around me and returned to sit near the fire. I jumped to a sudden loud popping sound coming from the firepit and ducked as an ember came flying at me.

Anna said, "There are plenty of spruce trees here on my farm now, but no hardwoods. Well-seasoned spruce firewood burns hot and quick, and doesn't give off much smoke, but it will throw many embers."

**********

Chapter 8 - Fish Stew

**********

Anna moved freely about the farmhouse, and I admired her sleek graceful movements, made even more so by her nudity. As I watched her, she raised her arms and used her hands to fluff out her long blonde hair. The motion lifted and highlighted her impressive breasts, perhaps not as large as Ellie's, but I could not help myself as I stared at the perfect round orbs. Anna moved over to a large kettle at the end of the fire pit, hanging from an iron spit.

"I have plenty of Fish Stew if you would like some. It's a simple recipe, with carrots and potatoes, but it is hot, and will help warm you on the inside."

I replied, "That sounds wonderful."

Anna ladled out stew into a wooden bowl and handed it to me along with a two-pronged fork. I looked at the thin soup with chunks of fish and vegetables. "Do you have any spoons?" I asked.

"I visit this farmhouse to remember the old ways. There were no spoons when this farm first started, so I do not have any. You should try eating in the old ways. Spear what you can, and drink the liquid right from the bowl."

Anna prepared a wooden bowl for herself and sat down next to me. I needed two hands to eat, one for the bowl and one for the two-pronged fork, so I was unable to keep the fur wrapped around me. It opened toward the fire, exposing my nakedness to it. As I ate, I basked in the warmth of the fire as it radiated against my bare skin.

"This is delicious stew," I said. "You are a wonderful cook under these conditions."

"Thank you," said Anna. "It is an old family recipe made with local herbs. You must be very brave, Leah, to solo kayak in the fjord in the middle of winter. Even the Vikings dared not cross the seas to raid Ireland in winter."

"Perhaps a bit brave. Perhaps a bit foolish," I replied. "I was so cold and wet before you found me. I began to doubt my decision and wondered if I would survive until morning. But as a woman, I like to challenge myself whenever I can."

Anna replied, "That is a wonderful philosophy for living your life. Is there enough room in your heart for love?"

"There was a guy in Finland who captured my heart. He is the reason I am here. I am writing a story about winter kayaking for his travel blog. He was great, and I suppose he still is. I loved him. But I am a wandering spirit. He wanted to live in Finland, and I wanted to live in Norway. Neither of us gave in. Since we couldn't make it work, we separated."

**********

Chapter 9 - A Heart to Heart Talk

**********

Anna stood up and tossed what looked like herbs onto the fire. The room filled with an odd but pleasant smell. "These herbs and dried flowers will help you relax and sleep tonight. They are not a narcotic. You should think of them as aroma therapy. How did you ever find this cove? The walls of the fjord are steep here, with little shoreline. Building the farmhouse here hopefully offered protection from raiding parties. It must have been difficult for you to locate."

I replied, "You might not believe this, but in the fading twilight, I saw a large falcon fly in this direction, so I followed it."

"Interesting," responded Anna. "It was probably a Gyrfalcon. I have seen them here in the winter, seeking prey. Have you ever heard of a Fylgje?"

"No. What is that?"

"In Norse mythology, Fylgje are spirit animals. They are guardian spirits who help and guide people through life. Perhaps your spirit animal is the Falcon and she led you to safety."

"That's like, kind of unbelievable," I replied. "How do you know about spirit animals."

"I mentioned before that I work at the University of Oslo. I am in the archaeology department, investigating ancient Viking burial sites. I know quite a bit about the Viking Age. I am a Valkyrie!"

I laughed, "No way! You're starting to scare me, Anna. You can't be a Valkyrie, they aren't real."

Anna had a serious look on her face. "There is an ancient way to let you know whether someone is telling the truth. Please stand and stretch out your right hand."

I tried to conceal the smirk on my lips as I stood in response to my benefactor's request. My protective fur fell behind me. I was facing Anna. We were both naked. "OK," I replied, hopefully the tone of my voice did not reveal my considerable skepticism.

Anna grasped my right hand and pulled it toward her, guiding it toward her breasts, before placing my palm between them, right over her heart. Her skin was soft and warm. She looked into my eyes, and I tried not to show any fear. Anna then reached out with her right hand, her arm parallel to mine, and placed her palm over my heart. I felt something strange, an odd tingle. It felt as if a hand was reaching deep inside me and touching my heartstrings, not just physically, but emotionally.

Without moving her lips, I heard Anna say, "Let your heart reach out to mine. Can you hear me?"

My voice was silent, but my heart responded, "I can. How is this possible?"

Anna silently said, "We are opening our hearts to each other. Let them touch. Your mind will hear our words, but your lips do not speak the language of your heart. Hearts cannot lie, and everything that passes between us will be open and honest. I find an unusually strong spirit in your heart. You have much inner strength. Words are not needed for me to know this."

She continued, "You have the slender body and the physical strength of an elf. The skin on your hands and breasts is as soft as velvet. Your blue eyes are clear and deep. You have great empathy and compassion for others, and more than one person owes their life to you. I sense water. In your short life, you have saved seven kayakers from drowning. Defending the natural world is important to you. You are light on your feet with good balance. And you can run long distances without tiring."

"How do you know all this? We just met, yet everything you said is true."

Anna replied, "In my land, we call this a heart-to-heart talk."

**********

Chapter 10 - The Valkyrie

**********

Anna said, "Now it is your turn to reach out your heart and touch mine. See my thoughts. Hear my words. Know that they are true." I locked my eyes onto Anna's and images began to appear in my mind.

I saw Anna here at the farmhouse. There were few trees, farm animals, a large garden, and other people. Her family. A horn sounded in the distance, followed by the angry shouts of approaching men. An older man, Anna's father, grabbed his sword and then yelled for everyone to go into the farmhouse and bar the door. As they fled, Anna remained outside with her father, drawing her dagger. Soon, a large party of men, armed with swords and shields, burst out of the trees and came towards them. Anna and her father fought bravely, killing four of the raiders, but their numbers were too great, and Anna saw her father fall. She rushed to his side, picked up his sword, and continued fighting until she also fell.

Awaking from the darkness, Anna saw a beautiful woman dressed in shining gold armor looking down at her. Anna asked the woman if she was a Valkyrie. The woman nodded. Anna then asked if this meant that she was dead. The woman nodded. Anna looked over at the smoldering ruins of the farmhouse and knew the Fate of her family.

I maintained eye contact with Anna, and saw a tear roll down her cheek, as if she knew what I was seeing and hearing. I felt sorry for bringing this memory back to her, and my own eyes began to water.

The Valkyrie said she was here to carry Anna to Valhalla. Anna protested, proclaiming her father was braver, and should go in her place. The Valkyrie said her father had already met with Odin and entered Valhalla. Anna learned that it was not Odin that sent for her, but rather, it was the Goddess Freyja, and she was inviting Anna to become a Valkyrie. Anna agreed to go, knowing that it was her only chance to be with her father again.

Feelings and emotions passed between us, intense sadness and loneliness mixed with brief moments of joy.

Other images appeared, the Great Hall, battles, flying with wings, feasting, and a conversation between Anna and a stout grey-haired God named Odin. Odin ordered Anna to work at the University of Oslo, so she could learn of newly discovered Viking graves, still being uncovered today in Norway, England, and Ireland. Odin said there were many brave and worthy warriors still lying in hidden places, awaiting entrance into Valhalla once their earthly bodies were found.

Anna lowered her hand from my heart, and the images vanished from my mind.

"So, it is true! I can't believe it. The Norse Gods are real? You are real! You really are a Valkyrie!" The revelation stunned me. I watched as another tear rolled down Anna's cheek. "Anna, I should have believed you. I'm so sorry for making you relive that day."

Anna looked at me and wiped another tear from her eye before it could begin its descent. She said, "It was a violent age in Norway. One that is now past, and one that Norway will hopefully never see again."

I asked, "How long have you been a Valkyrie?"

She replied, "Our calendar was not the same as the one in use today. But I will tell you that I have been a Valkyrie for over 1100 years."

I gasped once I realized what this meant. One of the first things Anna said to me was that she was alone. Anna did not come to her farmhouse to get away from the city, she came because she still misses her family! Fish Stew was not a dinner, it was a memory of her mother. Anna doesn't use a spoon today, because she didn't use one 1100 years ago.

I'm not sure our hearts ever completely disconnected, because at that moment, I sensed Anna knew her loneliness had been revealed to me, and that I understood her pain. I opened my arms and reached them out to her. We silently embraced, the only sound coming from the fire, as it spit and crackled. Our hearts had spoken with each other, and there were no longer any words worthy enough to cross our lips.

Anna released me, and then said, "If you wish to continue your kayaking trip in the morning, you must sleep."

**********

Chapter 11 - Flames of Passion

**********

I went over to the large bench, the size of a bed, and snuggled down between the furs. Laying on my right side, I faced the fire. Anna came over to the opposite side of the bench and joining me, shifted until she was spooning against me. Anna's round breasts pressed against my back, and she draped her left arm over me, resting it against my stomach.

I was surprised, but yet, not surprised. Anna said I had great empathy and compassion. I realized what Anna wanted was someone to cuddle with. As I lay there, I thought about the life Anna had been living for 1100 years. She was immortal, but everyone she met, everyone she befriended, and everyone she loved, were not. Anna lost her family at the farmhouse, and for centuries, watched the people she knew grow old and die, leaving her alone once again. Immortality is a curse, not a blessing! Tonight, Anna wanted to be with another person, to touch them and feel their warmth. I would not interfere.

I stared at the fire for a long time, watching the flames dance, and I wondered if, somehow, I could do more. I opened my fur toward the fire and felt the radiant heat bathe my bare skin. But behind me, I felt something else stirring. Something more than physical, more than mental, a combination of both, penetrating deeper and hotter than even the roaring fire!

Anna noticed my restlessness and asked, "Are you alright, Leah?"

I replied, "Anna, I haven't kayaked since last fall, and my shoulder and back muscles are sore. If you don't mind, could you rub them for me?"

Anna said, "Roll over onto your stomach, and I will give you a quick massage."

I did as Anna asked, and as I rolled, I felt her erect nipples rake across my back. She shifted position, swinging her leg over me to straddle my hips. This was not a bed, it was a bench, with but a single fur beneath me. Anna's weight pressed firmly down on my bum as she rocked forward and back, and I enjoyed the feelings coming from where our flesh touched. Anna applied pressure as her hands touched my back, my shoulders, and my neck. Her hands were strong but rough. I did not complain and began softly moaning to show her my appreciation. Anna varied the pressure, mixing forceful rubs with gentle teasing.

Then, Anna paused and asked, "Would you like to roll over?"

It was decision time. Anna's body was perfection, and my mind raced with thoughts of touching her, and of being touched. If I told her no, then I would be safe tonight, and nothing would happen, except for a sleepless night questioning my decision. But I had kayaked in Geirangerfjord in the middle of winter, survived a fierce storm, almost froze to death, and was now inside an ancient farmhouse with a beautiful woman who happened to be a Valkyrie! It didn't seem like time to play things safe.

"I would like that," I replied.

Anna lifted slightly, leaving enough room for me to roll over onto my back, then once again straddled my hips. She leaned forward, and I wondered how far she would come. Her lips parted, and I had my answer once they reached mine. Our heads bobbed for position as our lips and tongues danced with each other. Anna's tongue broke between my lips, and I forcefully engaged the happily welcomed intruder. We were both breathing harder, and every so often were forced to break for a quick breath. As our lips separated, the air was filled with the sounds of passionate kisses and soft sighs.

I could not see them, but I felt the presence of Anna's wonderful breasts dangling just above my own, as her firm nipples brushed against my smaller breasts. Anna must have felt this too, and pressed her larger breasts down over mine, rubbing them back and forth in a handless massage, sending tingles throughout my body. As our kissing subsided, Anna slid down my torso, pausing briefly to nuzzle my neck, then leaving a trail of kisses on the way to my breasts.

I extended my hand to stroke Anna's golden hair, and Anna looked up at me. "I'm sorry, Anna. I've always had small breasts."

Anna responded, "Your breasts are beautiful, Leah, and you have nothing to be ashamed of. Let me prove it to you."

Eager lips moved to one of my breasts, while a hand found the other. Anna's tongue circled my nipple, while her fingernail circled the other, driving me wild with anticipation! I became lost in the pleasure, and utterly failed to withstand Anna's assault of pinching, biting, and flicking, not that I wanted to. Anna continued working on both of my breasts at once, and it felt so good that I grabbed two fistfuls of fur, arched my back, and moaned loudly as wave after wave of electrically charged sensations shot through me. Anna was right. Size didn't matter, as long as you surrendered your breasts to the right person.

Anna shifted again, returning to a sitting position over my hips. Using her hand, she moved her long hair away from her eyes. Flames from the fire kissed Anna's hair, face, and breasts with a flickering yellow-orange light. What an erotic sight! Very primal. What year was this? Here I was lying on a fur-covered bed, next to a large fire pit, looking up at a beautiful and strong warrior woman. Had I stepped back in time a thousand years? People then faced constant danger and knew every day might be their last. But, here, in their farmhouse was sanctuary, offering a temporary respite. A place for peace. A place for love.

I looked up at Anna's braless cleavage and marveled once again at the twin orbs. I had to touch them. To feel them. I stretched out my fingers beneath one, lifting it slightly, and felt the soft weight resting upon my fingertips. What must it be like to have two of these? To have them be part of you? I never intend to get fake breasts, so I will never know that feeling.

Releasing Anna's single breast, I extended both hands so each could grasp one. Combining palm and fingertips, I caressed them, felt their velvety softness, and watched each as they moved with my touches. I wanted to remember Anna's breasts and how awesome they felt, so I closed my eyes, and let my fingers paint their picture in my brain. I concentrated on every every curve, the small bumps and ridges on her puffy areolas, and the firm shape of her nipples. With total concentration, my mind banning all distractions, the image recorded in my brain was more detailed than any eyes could produce.

I opened my eyes and was surprised to see Anna stroking her pussy. She caught me staring at her hairy mound and stopped rubbing. Extending her hand to me, I took it. Bringing her fingers to my nose, I inhaled deeply, drawing in her scent, a mix of natural feminine smell mixed with the unmistakable scent of arousal. I moved Anna's fingers to my mouth and licked, tasting the smoky-scented saltiness.