A World for the Taking Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RipperFish
RipperFish
2,516 Followers

"Follow me, son," Bob said. He handed his reins to Deborah, now mounted on the pack steelie, Dumpling. Bob had taken Sandy's saddle along when they had left their downed spinner and Dumpling was about the same size as Sandy had been.

When Yoshi got to him Bob turned up a steep, narrow cut in the slope. Layers of sedimentary stone had been exposed by erosion and Bob used these like a natural staircase. With a quick look over his shoulder at Jean, Yoshi followed the big man.

"What's Pa up to?" Jean asked Tammy.

"Something about the sensors and using their network to communicate through them," Tammy said. "Stay here with Little Gertie. I want to make sure F`reet `du Hom is okay."

"Maybe you should just leave her be," Roy suggested from the back of the line. He had ridden drag with his rifle across his lap since leaving his parents' station.

"I'm just going to check on her," Tammy said and thumped Boudi in the ribs, sending her mount forward until she came alongside the carry pack in which the jZav`Etch pilot was seated atop the extra gear.

"Are you okay?" Tammy asked her.

F`reet `du Hom blinked questioningly at the girl and then gestured around at the forest. Tammy did not know how to tell her where they were, but she did have a map on her pad. She pulled the device from her pocket and brought up a topographic display. She expanded it into a hologram and showed it to the pilot. F`reet `du Hom looked interested.

"We were here," Tammy said, indicating the location of Dodge Station. She began tracing a line over the hologram until she stopped at their current location. "We are here now."

F`reet `du Hom looked at the map more closely and then reached out a finger to point at Waimea. She met Tammy's eyes and made a gesture the girl did not exactly understand. It could have been a question about whether they were going to ride to the town. The pilot might also have been asking how long it would take to get there.

"I don't know," Tammy said. For either question it was true. She had never ridden to Waimea from this side of the valley so she did not know the terrain between them and the town. "Pa hasn't told us exactly what he's planning. I don't think he knows yet. We're still trying to figure out what's going on."

F`reet `du Hom settled back on the pile of gear and flicked her ears in irritation. She looked at Tammy and pointed to herself then at Boudi. Tammy frowned, trying to understand. The pilot pointed at the steelie again and pantomimed holding reins and bounced up and down on the carry pack.

"You want to ride?" chuckled the girl. "We don't have another saddle."

Riding bareback on a steelie, even one as even tempered as Little Gertie, was a dangerous proposition in heavy, unbroken terrain. They tended to hop up on logs and leap over shallow gullies with little or no warning. And if they broke into a run they might choose an eccentric path, bouncing off of trees and boulders like a squirrel at play. Yoshi, who had been riding for a few years now, still had trouble even with a saddle. Bareback, Tammy might be able to stay on a steelie for a while, but not for very long. And she had her doubts this jZav`Etch who had never seen a steelie before coming to Juniper would be able to do as well as the off-world boy.

F`reet `du Hom snorted in disgust, gesturing at the carry pack. She shook her head and slumped forward, resting her elbows on the rim of the cargo wall and planting her chin on her fists. Tammy bit back a laugh and sat quietly beside her until her father and Yoshi returned.

"Well?" Deborah asked, holding Temper's reins out to her husband.

"Yoshi figured it out and I talked with Dan," said Bob. "The Dusig took over the town. Dan hasn't heard from anyone in Waimea since they landed."

"What about the other aircraft?" she asked.

"As best we can tell, six others got shot down last night," Bob said. "After that, nobody tried flying. We don't know how many folks were killed. Dan said he was able to reach Troy Perkins's spinner. Troy is banged up bad, but he's alive. Carol is taking care of him."

"That's something, at least," sighed Deborah.

"So what are we going to do, Pa?" asked Mike.

"We are heading for Kelvin Ridge," said Bob, looking over their little cavalcade.

"You want to risk crossing Transit Bridge?" Deborah asked doubtfully.

"There's a ford about three klicks back that way, Ma," said Mike, pointing.

"Fords are deep right now," said Bob. "That one is damned near impassable. I think we need to risk the bridge."

"Mr. Mackey," called Roy from the back of the line. What about crossing at Kitt's Hole?"

Bob blinked at the teen. He seemed about to say something and then clapped his mouth shut. After consideration Bob slowly nodded.

"There is no ford at Kitt's Hole," said Deborah.

"But there are rapids," Bob pointed out.

"Bob, this side of the river we can ride down onto the rocks, sure," she said, throwing up a hand. "On the far side there's that cliff. I know it isn't a high cliff, but the steelies couldn't climb it. Are we going to leave them behind?"

"Mrs. Mackey, there is a tree down," Roy said. "It came down in the spring thaw. The roots are still in the ground at the top of the cliff and branches are resting in the water near the rapids. My dad... I mean, Mr. Postlethwaite and me went fishing there after we moved our stock. I'm sure the steelies can climb it."

"A big tree?" Bob asked.

"It's that one you marked for early harvest, sir," said Roy. "Eighteen or twenty meters tall and at least one across."

"Plenty big enough," said Bob.

"I don't like it," grumbled Deborah.

"Kitt's Hole is on the way to the bridge, honey," Bob said. "If it looks too dangerous, we'll just keep going."

"Why not go somewhere on this side of the river?" she asked.

"Because I've been putting in supplies up on Kelvin Ridge," he told her. "Just in case."

Deborah looked him in the eye for a second before she realized what he meant and then she looked back at Tammy.

"Right," she said, acquiescing to his plan. "Let's give it a shot."

Hours later the party drew up on the eastern bank of the river and inspected the rapids below Kitt's Hole. Though the water was high and running fast, there were plenty of rocks their mounts could hop onto. In fact, the rapids would have made a very good place to ford the river had the cliff on the far bank not been there.

Looking through his binoculars, Bob said, "It can be done."

"I guess it can," sighed Deborah. "We'll have to go up one at a time."

"Me first," said Bob. "The others see Temper go up and they'll understand what we expect."

"Pa, maybe I should go first," said Tammy. "Boudi is as big as Temper and I'm lighter than you. I can jump better, too."

"But I am your father and you are not going first." Bob put his binoculars away and thumped Temper's sides. The big stud strode out to the nearest boulder and climbed on top, holding his head proudly.

"Ma?" Tammy asked, wanting to argue with her father.

"He's right," Deborah said. "Temper and your pa have been doing this kind of thing for years. They know each other. Maybe better than I know your pa. Sometimes I think they share the same brain, he's so stubborn."

Tammy smiled wanly and followed her parents out over the rocks. Only Yoshi hesitated, but Little Gertie followed in spite of her rider's reluctance. In the carry pack F`reet `du Hom hunkered down as low as she could, staring with wide eyes at the churning white water.

Everyone made it without mishap. They gathered on the narrow shale bank and pondered the best route up the fallen tree.

"Fucking white pines," grumbled Bob. "So many damned branches. It'll be like crossing fences all the way up."

"But they'll work like a ladder, too, Pa," said Mike, not wanting to turn back.

"Roy, you sure the roots are still in the ground up there?" asked Bob, rubbing his chin.

"Yes sir," Roy said without hesitation.

"Mike, give me your picket rope," Bob said, holding out his hand. "Wait for me to give the okay before anyone else comes up. And Yoshi, maybe you ought to ride in the carry pack with F`reet whatever her name is."

"I'll be alright, sir. I've been practicing." Yoshi sounded nervous but he held onto his reins and looked resolute.

"You sure, Yoshi?" Tammy asked, remembering his near disastrous crossing of the ford.

Yoshi nodded and adjust his feet in the stirrups.

Tammy watched as her father took Mike's rope and secured it under his saddle pack before walking Temper to where the branches of the tall pine rested in the water. The tree had been a good one, only it had grown in soil too shallow for its roots. Tammy knew her father had gotten permission from Tyne & Harper to harvest it for boards, but it had fallen sooner than expected. With a little effort she knew it could still be harvested. Well, it could have been. Now that the family's spinner was a pile of junk in the middle of the forest she doubted the tree could be gotten out.

Temper paused when he reached the old pine as if he were examining it. He did not hesitate for long, though. With a determined effort the powerful stud reached out with a forelimb and got a good hold. After that he made it look easy. The pine shook and its branches rattled, but Temper never slowed down. Bob kept himself balanced over the animal's center of gravity and in less than a minute the pair were on top of the cliff and Bob was smiling down on his family. He disappeared behind the clifftop and the tree shook slightly for several minutes before Bob reappeared and called down for the first of them to climb.

Mike on Tico made as short work of the job as his father. Next was Jean, trailing a long lead attached to the pack steelie's headstall. When she reached the top of the cliff and began drawing on the line F`reet `du Hom leapt from the carry pack.

"What's she doing?" Bob called from the cliff.

The jZav`Etch pilot was shaking her head and making gestures suggesting she would not ride the carry pack any further.

"Pa, I'll take her behind me," called Tammy and walked Boudi up to the gesticulating jZav`Etch. She held out her hand but the pilot shook her head, turned to the pine and climbed it in four leaps. Everyone just stared for a second and then broke into laughter.

"I guess she didn't need to ride," called Bob, extending his hand to the pilot with a wide grin and merrily glinting eyes. F`reet `du Hom looked confused by the laughter at first, but she extended her hand and took Bob's, looking pleased with herself.

After the pack steelie had made it to the top of the cliff it was Yoshi's turn. Jean stood above him, looking concerned. Tammy drew Boudi in close to Little Gertie and gave the boy an encouraging nod.

"Just keep your weight in the middle," she told him. "Balance with your toes. Carry your weight with your thighs. And don't be afraid to grab the pommel. Even my pa has to do that going up a cliff like this."

"If I fall, just let the river take me," he said, licking his lips nervously. "I don't think I want to be around your dad with him thinking I'm useless."

"You will do just fine, Yoshi," Tammy said firmly. "Pa is starting to take a liking to you."

Yoshi considered her words briefly, gave a nod and turned Little Gertie towards the tree. The mare took her time, selecting a route that suited her. She even paused to snap off a small branch she did not like. When she reached the top of the cliff Little Gertie stepped off the trunk with what could only be interpreted as dignity. Yoshi was obviously relieved and he grinned wide when Bob clapped him approvingly on the thigh and waved him away.

Tammy was tempted to try climbing the tree like F`reet `du Hom had done, but she decided to stay with Boudi. Sure, the steelie would follow her, but maybe Boudi would be insulted. You never could tell for certain with steelies and it was always best to consider them before doing something rash.

After Tammy came Roy. Deborah waited until he was clear of the fallen pine and then made short work of her own ascent. Dumpling was the oldest of the steelies in their group, but she was hard and tough and had no hesitation on this climb. She didn't even bother looking at the tree before climbing onto it. She just put her claws where Temper had and went up like it was a Sunday afternoon stroll.

"Well, that's done," said Bob, gathering in the ropes he had used to tie off the roots of the pine. He looped one into a tight coil and gave it back to Mike. The other he stowed in his saddle pack before mounting. "We need to get going. I want to be on Kelvin Ridge by nightfall. I doubt we'll make it, but I want to try. It's all hard riding. Most of the trails are well broke, though. We're going at a canter. If you start getting sore, grit your teeth and hang on. No stops unless I say so. You need to pee, do it now."

*****

Dark had long since enveloped the valley by the time the group made it up to the spot on Kelvin Ridge Bob had picked out for his secret hiding place. It didn't look like much. Tammy had difficulty telling there was anything there, actually. Of course, she was as tired as everyone except F`reet `du Hom who seemed glad to be able to get out of the carry pack and stretch her legs.

Tammy dismounted. She removed her mare's tack and poured a pile of feed pellets on the stony ground for her. Boudi immediately bent her head and ate with vigor.

"As soon as your mounts are finished eating, bring them into the cave," Bob said, waving his flashlight at what looked like a rock shelter. Nothing more than a hollowed out place under an overhang of stone that sloped back up towards the top of the steep sided hill.

Trusting Boudi not to run off, Tammy hauled her gear into the rock shelter, discovering a fair-sized passage off to the left. It was easily large enough to allow their steelies to get in out of the weather. She went to the back of the shelter and set her saddle and packs alongside her father's.

"What now, Papa?" she asked, stretching and twisting at the waist to relieve the ache.

"I need to call your Uncle Dan," he said. "While I'm gone get some food ready and eat. There's a stream off to the south about a hundred meters. You can fill the canteens in the morning. I'll be back in a bit."

He leaned in and gave her a peck on the cheek before heading out. Tammy was worried. She did not like her father going off alone with those Dusig flying around blowing things up. But then again, they had not seen the Dusig since their ships had passed over the barn that morning. Maybe they were just hunkering down in town.

Bob returned about an hour after he left, coming quietly into the rock shelter. Jean and Yoshi had dropped off to sleep near each other and Roy was dozing with his back against the cave wall where the steelies were housed. The big brutes were quiet, as tired as their riders after the long day's travel.

"Thank God you're back," said Deborah, rising to greet her husband with a hug and a kiss. "What did you learn?"

Those who were awake crowded around the camp heater to hear the news.

"Wake them up," Bob said, indicating Yoshi and Jean. Roy had already roused himself and was joining them in the glow of the heater.

"You want some food, Pa?" Mike asked, holding out a ration pouch.

"Thanks, son," said Bob and settled himself next to Deborah. "Those Dusig bastards rounded everyone up in town. Yoshi! Hold on a second, son. Don't go trying to run off. Dan says as far as he knows, nobody has been hurt since last night. Nobody in town is hurt. They've just been put in the meeting hall under guard."

"How did Dan find that out?" Deborah asked, putting a comforting arm around the off-world boy.

"Larry and Cindy Dunkin took off out the back of their store as soon as they saw the ships coming up the valley." Bob tore open the ration pack and pulled a food bar out, taking a large bite. He spoke with his mouth half full. "They snuck off a ways and watched. When they got spooked by some of the aliens getting too close, they slipped on down the valley to that cabin of theirs. Called Dan and Carla after I spoke with him and let them know what was happening."

"But why are they doing this, Mr. Mackey?" Yoshi asked. He looked frightened and angry.

"Son, I'm pretty well certain it has to do with our lady right there," said Bob, nodding at F`reet `du Hom. The jZav`Etch was listening intently and looking from one Human to another as if in hopes of gleaning something from their conversation.

"Why take over the town if they want her?" Jean asked.

"Same reason they knocked out our communications, sweetheart," he said and ate another mouthful of food. "They're isolating us and by doing that, isolating her too."

"Makes sense," Roy nodded agreement. "They don't want us talking to anybody. If they know her ship doesn't have any communications they have to assume she would try for ours."

"The uplink tower isn't the only one on the planet," Deborah said. "Do we know if any of the others are working?"

"Dan heard from a friend of his over in Jonestown," Bob said. "Their tower was destroyed about the same time as ours. And from what Dan gathered, so were all the other operational towers."

"What about the one down by Big Lake?" asked Yoshi. "And there are others. My dad hasn't finished installing all the communications gear, but Big Lake had its power plant and main coil installed."

"I don't know," said Bob thoughtfully. "If it wasn't complete, they might have ignored it. Doesn't do us any good right now. Aside from the uplink towers, only OS1 had a transmitter powerful enough to call for help."

"And we're pretty sure they took that out before they got to us," said Tammy.

"Why do you think they're after her, Bob?" Deborah asked.

"She must know something, I guess," he said. "Dead body on her ship. Mike said they didn't see the head anywhere. I'm thinking her crewmate was executed and she got away somehow."

"They executed him by cutting his head off?" Mike asked incredulously.

"People used to do that way back when," Bob said, nodding.

"Oh God." Jean looked disgusted and she rubbed her throat as if imagining what it would be like.

"We need to do something," said Yoshi. "My folks are in town. Who knows what'll happen to them."

"Dan and I discussed that," Bob said. "In the morning me, Deborah and Mike are going to ride out to meet up with Dan and some others. We're going to see if we can get those folks out."

"I'll go too," said Roy.

"And me!" Yoshi volunteered.

"No you won't, boys," Bob told them firmly. Before they could protest he held up a hand. "You two, Jean, Tammy and Ferret Doom are going to stay here and wait for some of the other kids in the valley. There are about twenty going to come here. Roy, you'll be in charge. I'm counting on you to take care of them."

Roy obviously did not like being left behind, but he reluctantly nodded and held his piece. Yoshi only bit his lip and scowled at the heater.

"Son, don't get any ideas about following us," Bob said, seeing the boy's expression. "You did good earlier with the software and all, but you don't know the forest, and you aren't good enough on a steelie to keep up. When we get them out, I'll make sure your folks are safe and let them know where you are. They would not want you riding off to try a rescue. Got it?"

Yoshi sighed and looked at Bob out of the corner of his eyes. "Yes sir."

"Good," said Bob, clapping him on the knee. "You that are staying, go ahead and settle in for the night. Get some sleep. We'll wake you before we go in the morning."

No one wanted to sleep, but Bob would not be gainsaid. He watched them settle in and did not object when either of his daughters snuggled up to their boyfriends. F`reet `du Hom looked questioningly at him and Bob motioned her to join the teens at the back of the rock shelter. She gave him an even look, apparently not liking being ordered away, but as there was nothing she could really learn from their conversation, she submitted.

RipperFish
RipperFish
2,516 Followers