Accessory to the Crime

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yup," the attendant smiled. "You two have fun! Nice meeting you, Lee."

He nodded acknowledgement of the greeting, waiting for Anne to lead the way.

"Okay. Thank you, Kelly," she concluded. Turning to Lee, she asked, "Where do you want to start?"

"How about the big cats? We can leave the snake house until it starts getting warm."

Nodding, his partner agreed. "Makes sense. I like the lions and tigers. You?"

"Leopards and servals, although I'm fond of pretty much any wild cat. Love cougars and jaguars."

"What kind of cougars?" she asked, turning an uplifted eyebrow and an impish grin on him.

Lee shook his head. "Behave yourself, officer. You're still young enough to get spanked, and I'm big enough to do it."

"Yes, daddy."

They walked slowly through the zoo, stopping to look at an elephant cow with her calf taking a bath in the moat surrounding their enclosure. It was early on a weekday morning, so there weren't a lot of others about yet. They were able to get right to the retaining bar, giving them a close look. Just past the elephants they saw the hippos, the rhinos and finally, for that section, the camels.

When they reached the big cats, Lee listened attentively as Anne explained the difference between a white tiger and an albino tiger. She then described the rare and beautiful tigron and liger.

Shortly thereafter, it was Anne who stared in fascination as Lee talked to a large female leopard, being rewarded by a rolling purr from the usually aggressive feline. Progressing from the big cats to the medium cats, he

again stopped to talk with a cougar, getting another friendly reception from the mountain cat.

Harrison had, to the best of her memory, never seen a serval. She was amazed by the beauty of the small wildcat, about twice the size of a big domestic cat.

In the bordering enclosure was a caracal, another small feline. A solid tan, the color of the cougar they had seen earlier, she found that it, too, was delightfully attractive.

The morning passed quickly as they reveled in the display of handsome and impressive wildlife. Lee noted with both amusement and satisfaction that, when he reached for her hand, she slid it inside his without hesitation. She didn't even look. The action seemed almost instinctive.

As the temperature climbed, they moved to the reptile house. Once inside, they encountered Doctor Morris. He greeted Anne cordially, welcoming her back to his 'domain'. She introduced him to Lee and inquired about the curator's wife and daughter.

At the conclusion of the social amenities, the tour of the herp-house commenced, beginning with the introduction of 'Anne's' cobra.

Parker had always had an interest in snakes and lizards. He found it immensely satisfying to have so knowledgeable a tour guide, finding all of his many questions answered immediately and completely. He didn't see Anne's smile of amusement.

They spent nearly three hours in the snake house. By that time both were tiring and getting hungry.

"Where would you like to eat?" Lee asked. "My treat."

"You like Chinese food?"

"Yeah, a lot," he admitted.

Anne smiled. "There's a good Chinese restaurant across the street from the precinct. You wanna try that?"

"Sure. Lead the way, m'lady."

They got there before the dinner rush started, so they were immediately seated. This was a traditional restaurant as opposed to the more popular buffet style, so they got to read over extensive menus before ordering.

Lee was impressed with his options and ordered a sizeable meal. Anne was a bit more conservative, but not much. Both ordered hot tea.

As they ate, Anne couldn't resist revisiting something they'd spoken of the night before. "Lee, why aren't you dating?"

He sighed, blowing a deep breath through his lips in a long hiss. "I dated for the first couple years after we graduated. But it felt so artificial to me. There were a couple of nice girls who dated me, but there wasn't any real connection with any of them. It bothered me that some of them felt like they 'owed' me something because I'd taken them to dinner or a movie or something. I didn't like the feeling that I was taking advantage of them. Then there were the police groupies. That really turned me off. I just couldn't do it anymore."

Harrison lowered her head, hiding her frown. She knew exactly what he was talking about. But she didn't know what to say. It was a little confusing to hear a man say he was uncomfortable with anything that led to a sexual encounter.

"I think I understand, but couldn't you have just had platonic dates?"

"I suppose so, but I never found a girl who didn't think I wanted sex. It was almost like they were insulted when I didn't try to seduce them."

She reached for her tea, taking a slow sip. This was so different from what she was used to. She'd only dated a few men other than Neal. Most of them seemed like their only interest was how fast they could get her into bed. Neal hadn't been that way until recently, but he was becoming more than obvious about his desires. Looking up at Lee, she couldn't hide the sadness in her eyes.

"Yes, I do understand, maybe more than you realize. I wish I could have found someone like you to date."

That brought an odd expression across the man's face. He regarded his companion like he didn't know what to say. Finally, he settled for the simplest and most straightforward. "Well, I'm here now, and I'm unattached."

Anne looked at him with an almost vacant half-smile, looping her teeth over her lower lip. She didn't answer.

Conversation died at that point and they concentrated on their dinner. When they finished, Lee drove her across the street, dropping her beside her Escort.

"Hey," Anne brightened, "why don't you come to my place for dinner tomorrow? I'm not a great cook, but I can put together something edible for us."

"Sounds great, but where do you live?"

"Just meet me here at about four. I'll take you there."

Lee smiled. "Okay. See you tomorrow, Peanut."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Appletree is a huge, gated rental community on the Southwest corner of Raleigh. It's bordered on the south by the City of Memphis and on the west by the Shelby County National Forest.

The property includes townhomes and apartments, from studio to three-bedroom, in a variety of floorplans and rental costs. Additional features are both an indoor and outdoor pool. The indoor pool is open year-round, the outdoor pool dependent on the weather. There is also a running track in the middle of the property, and tennis courts.

During the winter months, Anne relied on the indoor pool and the weight room to stay in shape. Despite what many people think, Memphis gets bitterly cold during the winter. Strong winds coming off the Mississippi River can make life miserable.

She lived near the back of the complex, in a comfortable one-bedroom, ground floor apartment on Bosc Court. It was a nice place. The unit was small but well-designed, granting her all the room she needed to be comfortable, with a number of slightly more than basic amenities.

The kitchen featured a small dining alcove, large enough for a table that seated four. She and Lee were there at the moment. He was rending the meat from a chicken thigh, his third piece, following the leg and breast. A large baked sweet potato sat partially eaten on his plate, along with his second serving of broccoli. Dinner rolls filled a small bread bowl in the center of the table.

Anne wasn't one for alcohol, so the beverage of the moment was sweet tea, a traditional staple of the Southeastern United States. She wore a small smile as she watched her guest inhaling the meal.

She had already asked if he liked her fried chicken. His answer had been a sideways grin and a mumble as he continued to devour the breast he was chomping on at the time. She took that as a yes. She didn't get to cook for company often, and she enjoyed it. She was having as much fun watching him eat as he was having eating.

When dinner was over, Lee insisted on helping with the clean-up. There would be cold fried chicken for lunch tomorrow. Then they retired to the living room to watch television. He tentatively eased his arm around her shoulders and, to his relief, she snuggled into his embrace.

"You're one hell of a cook, girl. That was outstanding. You ever think about getting married?"

Her lips pursed as her forehead creased. Marriage had never really crossed her mind. She'd never had a relationship of that intensity and she didn't think marriage was particularly compatible with a law enforcement career.

"No, not really. Never met anyone I was that interested in. Why? You thinking of applying?"

"Oh, I've thought about it," he admitted. "What are the requirements?"

"Just leave your resume on the table. I'll take a look at it."

She was surprised to feel his hand grip her by the back of the neck. He gently but firmly pulled her head to his. She expected a hard, passionate kiss. What she got shocked her.

Lee's lips closed on hers gently. They pressed in a soft, affectionate massage, his tongue staying in his mouth. He held the caress for less than a minute before backing away. "Will that do for a starter?"

Anne had felt a jolt of electricity shoot through her at the delicate graze of his kiss. A soft smile crossed his face as she whispered, "I'll keep it on file."

When the evening ended, Lee gave her a gentle peck on the cheek. He didn't ask anything, didn't suggest anything, just smiled at her and headed for his car.

The woman watched him walk away. As he got into his vehicle, she turned back into her apartment with a sigh.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dinner became a weekly event, generally on the second off day, the day before they returned to duty. Anne got to try a number of different recipes, from basic to not-quite-advanced, getting surprisingly honest and helpful appraisals from Lee. To her amazement, he had a general knowledge of food and cooking and frequently made small suggestions that she implemented. The meals became an enjoyable partnership.

She had contacted Neal, telling him that she had entered a relationship and that it would probably be best to end their association. To her amusement, he chuckled and admitted that he was about to contact her and suggest the same thing. They parted on amiable terms, wishing each other the best of luck.

Anne wasn't a big fan of spectator sports, excepting college football, but she didn't object when Lee took her to a Memphis Grizzlies game. He even had good tickets, surprising considering that the NBA team drew well. It was an entertaining evening, even though the home team lost.

She had just walked into the precinct when she heard Lee call her to the bulletin board. Looking at the poster he indicated, she nodded and they headed for the Lieutenant's office.

"Lieutenant, you got a minute?"

Sitting at his desk, the shift supervisor looked up. "Sure, Lee. What can I do for you, to you, with you or in spite of you?"

Allowing himself a bit of a chuckle, the officer asked, "You looking for people for that Special Olympics detail?"

Gillespie showed sudden interest. "Yeah, we sure are. You interested?"

"Yeah. I think Anne and I would both like it. We've worked with Special Olympics kids before."

The supervisor picked up a folder from one of several baskets on his desk. Opening it, he found the roster sheet and wrote two names on it.

"How many you got, sir?"

"Counting you two? Two."

Anne laughed. "Well, it's better than none. What shift and when?"

"We don't know exactly just yet. It'll be sometime in mid-January. They're still finalizing the schedule. But I do know that it will be on one of your off days. We can't afford to take officers off patrol. The good part is that it pays double time."

Parker nodded. "That's a great incentive, sir, but we're in it for the kids. Just let us know where and when."

"You got a deal. Thanks, you two."

- - - - - - - - - - -

The early November weather was turning nasty. The temperature was cold and a heavy rain was falling. As the pair drove up Frazier Boulevard they heard their beat partner being dispatched to an accident with injuries. Activating his lights but not the sirens, Lee headed for the wreck.

They found 3114 surveying a nasty two-vehicle collision, using the shoulder mike on his radio to talk with the dispatcher. Even as they approached the third officer, distant sirens became audible. In just moments, a Fire Rescue unit arrived, followed by an Engine and then the first of two ambulances.

Anne started directing traffic while Lee began gathering witness statements. That gave their associate the chance to start on his report. It took more than an hour to get the victims on their way to a hospital, get the damaged cars onto wreckers and out of the roadway, and to clear the area to go back in service. By that time, they were all soaked, despite their heavy rain gear.

Lee returned to the precinct where they could take hot showers and switch into dry uniforms. He noticed that Anne was coughing, and he didn't like the drawn look on her cheeks or the shadows under her eyes.

"Hey, girl," he asked, "you getting sick?"

"Nah," she quipped, "just my nastiness coming out. I'm fine."

He didn't agree with that assessment but knew better than to argue with her.

It was a week later when he walked into Lieutenant Gillespie's office to ask for five days of vacation.

"What's going on, Lee? You know we need some lead time on a vacation request."

"Anne's sick, sir," he revealed, "real sick. I'd like to be able to take care of her for a while."

The supervisor nodded, already aware that Harrison was on sick leave at the moment. He pulled up his calendar to check the current schedule. "Alright. Take the rest of today off. We're off the next two. I'll put you on emergency leave for the seven after that. That way it won't chew up your vacation time. With the two off days following the leave, you'll have eleven days to nursemaid her. Does she need to be in a hospital?"

Parker shrugged. His mouth drew into a tight frown. "I don't know. I asked her to go in a few days ago and she refused. She's stubborn as hell."

"Yeah, she is," Gillespie agreed, "So you be more stubborn. If she needs to be in a hospital, get her there. I don't care if you have to carry her. Or call an ambulance. Won't be much of a Christmas if she's too sick to enjoy it."

"She'd hate me if I did that. I'm just gonna nurse her for a few days and see what happens. I think it's just a bad cold or a tough of flu."

Gillespie stared at the officer for a long minute. His concern for a fellow officer was commendable, but it seemed to be a bit more than a professional interest in a patrol partner. Finally, he asked, "Lee, are you falling for her?"

Parker snickered. "No, sir," he admitted, "it's too late for that. I've already fallen. I think I was in love with her before we graduated. But she never noticed."

"Does she know that?"

"I don't think so."

"Well, don't be too sure of it. She's a smart girl. She'll figure it out sooner than later, if she hasn't already. I know she's sweet on you."

Parker's eyes widened. "You do? How?'

"It was obvious the day you checked in. You're just too close to the situation to see it. Take good care of her. You've got a keeper there. Now, get on out of here."

- - - - - - - - - -

He didn't go directly back to the apartment. Detouring into a supermarket, he picked up ginger ale, Gatorade and several cans of beef and chicken broth. From there he went to the pharmacy section, gathering basic cold and flu remedies. Then it was back to Anne.

It wasn't exactly ethical, but the last time he'd visited, she was already sick in bed. He had seen her keys laying on the dinette table, so he took the apartment key. She'd given him the gate code earlier. He took the key to a hardware store and had a duplicate made. Then he returned the original to her keychain.

Opening the door, he heard a weak voice from the bedroom. "Lee?"

"Yeah, it's me Peanut. Go back to sleep."

"You can't stay here. I might get you sick." The statement was punctuated by a throaty cough.

He shook his head, stifling a chuckle. That figured; she was sicker than hell and she was worried about him. Maybe the Lieutenant was right. Maybe she was sweet on him. He hoped so.

"Just brought in some supplies. I'll put them up and then I'll be in there."

Among the items he'd purchased was a new type of thermometer. This one didn't go under the tongue or into more sensitive areas of the anatomy. Rather, it was touched against the forehead and registered immediately.

When he placed in on her, she looked up tiredly. "What's it say?"

"100.6. This gets any higher, I'm taking you to the hospital."

"I don't want to go to a hospital." She was under two blankets but still shivering.

Lee frowned, his forehead creased with concern. He circled to the far side of the bed and proceeded to remove his clothing, all but his briefs. Then he lifted the covers and slid in behind her, rolling her into his arms.

She stiffened momentarily then relaxed, snuggling against his warmth. "You're going to get sick," she repeated groggily.

"Be quiet, Peanut. I'll be fine. Now go to sleep." He kissed her forehead, feeling the heat against his lips. What he focused on, though, was the soft, contented sigh he heard.

She woke up several hours later, still wrapped in his arms. He slowly extricated himself and reclaimed the thermometer. He took another reading, hissing at the result.

Anne registered the odd noises but it took her a moment to realize that he was rummaging through her closet. When he came back to the bed, he pulled the covers off and lifted her to a sitting position. The cotton bed shirt she was wearing was removed. He then lifted her arms straight up. Before she could protest, she felt one of her warm velour pullovers sliding over her head and shoulders. Then a pair of soft sweatpants eased up her legs.

"You're putting my clothes on?" she mumbled.

He sighed and shook his head. No doubt she would have expected him to take her clothes off, not put them on. He didn't give her a chance to ask anything else, sliding into his own clothes and heading for the door.

She heard it open and close. A minute or so later, it opened again. He came back into the bedroom, this time putting a heavy jacket on her. A pair of warm slippers followed. "What are you doing?" she asked, becoming somewhat alarmed.

Lifting her from the bed, he walked through the apartment and out to his car, where he belted her into the front passenger seat. He locked up the apartment and returned.

"Lee, what are you doing?" she coughed.

He looked at her with a grimace. Fortunately, she couldn't read the worry in his eyes or in his frown. He shook his head. "Your temp is 102. You're going to a hospital before you end up with pneumonia. I'm taking you to Methodist."

"I don't want to go to a hospital," she protested.

"That's too damned bad," he replied. "You're going. Now be quiet and try to rest."

It was a twenty minute drive to Methodist. By the time they arrived, she was nodding off. Lee picked her up and entered the Emergency Room door.

The ER was crowded but, when the triage nurse took her temperature, she was immediately taken to the treatment area. The assigned RN took her vital signs and started an IV. Apparently she was badly dehydrated. "I'll get you a doctor as soon as I can, but we've got a lot of flu and pneumonia cases in here. She'll probably be on IV anti-biotics shortly."

A lab tech walked in next, drawing two tubes of blood. When she left, the room became quiet. Parker watched silently as his partner's eyes closed drowsily.

About thirty minutes later, a doctor came in, holding a clipboard with several papers attached. He looked up to see Lee and nodded. "You her husband?"