Adrienne's Duet Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm planning to," Juliet assured Nadia. "That is, if the invite still stands," she added, looking over at Adrienne with a playful grin.

"Of course, it does," Adrienne smiled back. "Though it's open to the public so you don't really need an invite," she added, as if it were no big deal. As soon as she said that, Juliet gave her a mock pout. Fortunately, Nadia, who was very good at reading body language, hadn't missed a beat and came to Adrienne's rescue.

"That's Adrienne's way of saying she'd be upset if you didn't show." She gave Adrienne a sly look and with a wink, said her goodbyes. "Okay you two, have a good rehearsal," Nadia called out, as she left Juliet and Adrienne to practice their duet.

They set up their stands and chairs, had their bottles of water, their scores and pencils ready and got to work. There was no preliminary chatting or gossip, and for the next hour it was all work and no play. Adrienne was relieved to see that Juliet was not one to waste rehearsal time. She also made notes in the score as they worked. Adrienne was impressed with her musical insights and willingness to work a section until it felt right. The two got along with no arguments or ego tripping. Their approach to music seemed to mesh well, and just as with Nadia, Adrienne was able to draw inspiration from the girl's talent and energy.

"The vocalese flows so much better now," Juliet said with a satisfied exhale as they packed up. "You are so easy to work with, Adrienne," she complimented her partner as they went to the washroom to freshen up.

"Thanks. It's easy working with you too," Adrienne said, washing her hands at the sink.

"I just need to take a quick pee, and then I'll be ready to go" she said, stepping into one of the stalls, as if it were no big deal.

"Oh, okay," Adrienne said, her voice catching in her throat. She thought about using the adjacent stall for herself, but decided to hold it until she reached the restaurant. And so, she stood at the sink and listened as this girl she hardly knew peed into the toilet.

"All set," Juliet cheerily announced as she emerged from the stall and washed her hands. "I thought we'd try that new Thai place, on Sixth. You okay with that?" she asked.

"Sure," Adrienne agreed, struck by how Juliet just took control. "I love Thai food. Let me lock up my cello in the back room, and we can head out."

Once on the street, Juliet locked arms with Adrienne as if they were old friends, and the two girls walked the three blocks to the restaurant. Adrienne enjoyed walking arm in arm, and secretly wished the restaurant had been a few blocks further away. They got a table near the window and after having placed their orders, including a glass of wine each, Juliet leaned in and asked her in a seductive, husky voice...

"So, what's your story, Adrienne Sokol?"

Adrienne gave a short laugh. "The condensed version, or two-volume set?"

"I'll go with condensed. For now." Juliet seemed like a child about to hear a bedtime story.

"Well, I've lived here my whole life. And I have studied cello since I was ten. I've always wanted to be a professional musician, and was lucky to get a full scholarship to study music here at the school, which is great because I couldn't afford it otherwise. Right now, I live at home with my mom. No brother or sister, so it's just the two of us, since my dad passed away last year. He suffered a heart attack."

"Oh Adrienne, I'm sorry..."

Adrienne shrugged. "Thanks. It was pretty intense. There was no warning either. Anyway, I live at home to save money, because even with a full scholarship, it's pretty tight without Dad's income. But I do have a car to get to and from campus. What about you?"

"Well, I live in an apartment block just off the boulevard, with one other roommate, Trisha. My parents are paying for the place, as well as funding my schooling. While I love theatre, and want to try and land some professional work, I'm also studying to be an environmental lawyer. My dad knows people in the field who can provide me internships. So, I guess you could say, I'm a spoiled rich girl."

Adrienne tilted her head. "Well, you seem pretty nice to me... for a spoiled rich girl," she added jokingly.

Juliet didn't seem to mind her dig, and smiled. Adrienne then continued, "I'm studying Environmental Science, so maybe we can share ideas sometime?"

"Sure," Juliet replied cheerily. "We should do that." Then Juliet leaned in. "So... any boyfriends?" her face had taken on that conspiratorial expression, as if they were about to share state secrets.

Adrienne huffed awkwardly. "Nope. Been too busy for that, especially with my recital coming up. Someday...And you? You probably have lots of them, huh?"

"Oh yes, I go through a couple a week," Juliet retorted, with a dramatic flick of her hair. "Just call me the Energizer Bunny."

Adrienne cringed. "Sorry, that came out wrong. I didn't mean it like that...."

"I'm teasing you," Juliet laughed, smacking Adrienne on the arm. Then she asked pointedly, "How DID you mean it, then?"

Adrienne was surprised. Juliet was putting her on the spot. "Well, guys would be interested in you because you're talented and smart and...." Adrienne paused, hoping to leave it at that, but Juliet was having none of it.

"And...?" she pressed Adrienne to continue, clearly enjoying Adrienne's efforts to artfully get out of the embarrassing moment.

Adrienne laughed. "Well, since you're not letting me off the hook, I was going to say that you're very attractive," she bravely finished.

Juliet beamed. "Okay, I was fishing, but thanks for the compliment."

"Well, you are," Adrienne insisted, rolling her eyes as if it were the quite obvious. "I bet you could be a model if you wanted."

"I'd much rather be an actress," Juliet stated firmly. "But to answer your question, I'm not seeing anyone at the moment. There is this guy, Randall, who's interested in dating me, but he's more my mother's doing than mine. She knows his parents, who are very well connected, and that carries a lot of weight in my family. Oh, he's good looking enough, and has a nice car, expensive clothes, knows all the right people... But you get the picture."

"Wait, she's fixing you up with this guy because of his family connections and money?"

Julia shrugged in resignation. "To my mother's way of thinking, people with money, i.e., moi, should date and marry people with money. It's like a secret club you belong to. My mom's a bit of a social climber. Trust me, nothing would make her happier than to throw a lavish wedding, and invite all her rich friends."

"Wow. Juliet, that's...."

"...selfish and heartless? Yep," she noted with a curt nod. "But don't forget, she only wants what's best for me," she noted punctuating the word 'best' with a stab of her fork.

"Oh, absolutely, I can see that," Adrienne played along, nodding her head in mock agreement.

After a moment, Juliet continued, only this time with the histrionic flair of an actress, "And if my husband turns out to be a douche, I'll let him have his mistresses while I enjoy a string of elicit affairs and pursue my career in film and stage."

"Sounds like a plan," Adrienne joked.

Juliet laughed. "Don't I know it! Now my dad stays totally out of it. He's this global financier, World Bank level, who travels all over the world making obscene amounts of money and pretty much let's my mom rule at home. Like I said, spoiled rich kid."

Adrienne could sense that her dad's absence was a sore spot with Juliet. And the 'obscene amounts of money' placed Juliet in a whole different socio-economic class from Adrienne. Jet setting, rent free houses, fully paid education and arranged relationships.

After dinner, Juliet took out her phone. "Who are you calling?" Adrienne asked.

"I'm phoning Uber."

"Don't do that. I'll drive you," Adrienne insisted. "I mean, you bought dinner. It's the least I can do."

"Okay," Juliet replied cheerily. Adrienne drove Juliet to a complex of Townhouse buildings just north of campus.

"This is it. Thanks for the ride."

"Wow, those look nice," Adrienne noted, leaning down to take in the whole scene. Juliet came around to the driver's window.

"Wait until you see the inside. You'll have to come over some time. We can watch a movie and pig out on gourmet popcorn. I usually have the place to myself as Trisha spends a lot of time at her boyfriend's."

"I'd like that," Adrienne said. "Next time, maybe." Juliet leaned down and hugged Adrienne through the open car window. "'Night," she said, into Adrienne's shoulder.

Adrienne then watched Juliet make her way up the long walkway to the front door. Just before heading up the few steps, her new friend turned around and waved her fingers at Adrienne. Adrienne waved back and watched her go inside.

Once back home, Adrienne felt charged with energy. And giddy, as if she'd just gotten home from a good date. And in a way, it was. A fun date with someone she really enjoyed being with.

That night, while lying in bed, Adrienne felt the need to release some sexual tension. She removed her panties and slipped under the sheets wearing only her bedtime t-shirt. It had been several days since she'd last pleasured herself, and she was feeling a pressing need. Unlike other times, this wouldn't take her long at all.

Adrienne didn't often need a specific person to serve as inspiration. For her it was a matter of focusing her mind on the task at hand, as it were. However, as she idly played with her sex, feeling it moisten, an image of Juliet sitting at dinner appeared before her mind's eye. It was like something out of a movie. Juliet was gazing at Adrienne from across the table, her toothy smile and her blue eyes glowing. It was truly beautiful the way she laughed, and equally attractive when she squinted her eyes and chewed on her lip during a more contemplative mood. Adrienne's fingers were working some magic, when an image from the past appeared out of nowhere. Juliet was onstage as Cecily Cardew in The Importance of Being Earnest. She was smelling some flowers while sitting on a garden bench. And to Adrienne's surprise, she brought herself to a quick orgasm.

On some deep level, Adrienne sensed that something significant had just taken place. She'd never used another female to sexually jump her battery, and it was confusing. It also left her feeling a bit uncomfortable. But before long, she slipped into a deep sleep.

~*~*~*~*

With her recital looming and upcoming exams, Adrienne had little time to schmooze with her friend. The girls barely saw each other during the next rehearsal, and there was little free time for socializing with them both managing their respective class assignments.

However, they did meet for one more private work session, as well as doing dinner, this time at the campus pub. Again, despite Adrienne's protests, Juliet picked up the tab. After Adrienne gave Juliet a lift home, Juliet invited Adrienne in for gourmet popcorn. The apartment was quite elegant with large windows and high ceilings. There was a wall-mounted entertainment center, and a rather large kitchen area with a prep island and state-of-the-art appliances. The walls were decorated with some theatre posters and art prints. But no family photos as far as Adrienne could see.

Juliet streamed some music, got them each a bottled water and then as promised, cooked them up some gourmet popcorn. The two then sat on a leather sectional with their own bowls of popcorn and learned a bit more about each other, taking turns sharing childhood adventures, with Adrienne talking a bit more about her father's passing, and how it disrupted their once happy lives. While Juliet provided more entertaining stories that involved traveling to exotic places.

"So, where did you learn to sing like that?" Adrienne asked.

"I always liked singing, you know Disney tunes and musicals. And then my mom had me take private voice lessons for a while. And when we were abroad, I studied with a Miss Gauthier, while our family was stationed in Toulouse, France. And that was mind blowing. I learned so much from her."

"Wow, France," Adrienne couldn't imagine such a life. She hoped that her musical abilities might enable her to travel the globe and visit such historic places. "Did you learn to speak French?"

"Un petit peu. Mais comme pour le reste? Disparu." She finished with a snap of her fingers for dramatic effect.

Her little performance made Adrienne laugh. "Okay, smarty-pants, what did you say?"

"I said, 'A tiny bit. As for the rest? Gone!" This time when she snapped her fingers, they both laughed. "We spent two years in France, and it was fun, but I was really glad to finally come home. Since then, my dad's been traveling on his own."

Adrienne then shared a little bit about her upbringing. "The name Sokol is Eastern European, where my ancestors came from after the First World War. The region, which is now known as Belarus. My dad was an ophthalmologist at a clinic, and my mom works as an administrator for the school system. I have some Jewish ancestry, but I was raised in the Christian faith," Adrienne explained. "We observe the main holidays, such as Easter and Christmas, but we aren't regular church goers. And you?"

"Oh, one of those waspy sects, complete with utterly boring hymns. But as far as I can tell, my family's faith revolves around money."

The girls poked fun, raved and ranted about the arts, the imperiled environment, their classes and even shared a few childhood stories. And as before, it was fun and easy. The time together flew by, and soon, it was getting on toward ten o'clock.

"I should probably get going," Adrienne yawned, then stretched tiredly.

"Aw," Juliet pouted.

"Can I use your bathroom before I go?" Adrienne asked.

"Sure, go ahead," Juliet replied. "Down the hall, on the right."

As Adrienne peed, she couldn't help but admire how nice the bathroom was. The fixtures were all quite expensive looking, including a tub with a glass door for taking showers. Next to the stall, she noticed a pair of satin green panties draped over a towel rack, and before she could stop herself, she imagined Juliet setting that pair of panties on the rack and then stepping naked into the stall.

She put her hand over her eyes and felt terribly embarrassed, silently berating herself for thinking of her friend in that way. She quickly washed up and exited the bathroom.

"Thanks to much for having me over. This was a lot of fun," Adrienne said.

"I liked having you over," Juliet answered, giving her a warm hug. "See you at rehearsal?"

The girls said goodbye and Adrienne made for home, once again full of energy. Juliet just made her so happy. Though this time, she refused to let her mind stray into any sexual realms of fantasy.

~*~*~*~*

It was Opening Night, and everyone's nerves were on edge. The tech and dress rehearsals had been tiring affairs thanks to a boatload of light cues, and some awkward set changes, along with the occasional flubbed entrance and dropped cue. Fortunately, Adrienne didn't have much to do other than play the duet with Juliet, which she had grown to love. And despite the chaos, she was ready for the show to open.

That evening while dressing for the theatre, Adrienne found herself feeling a bit jittery. She wasn't worried about the duet. The girls had that down! But she was excited for her friend, hoping for her sake, that her performance was well received. She wanted Juliet to be a success.

She also realized how happy Juliet made her feel. The girl always managed to energize her. There was something about her friend's spirit that made her want to open up. And despite their differences in upbringing, they seemed to see the world in a similar way. Of course, Juliet was absolutely gorgeous, and Adrienne tried not to compare herself to Juliet in that way. But it was hard not to do. Either way, Juliet was fast becoming Adrienne's closest, best friend.

Adrienne had long come to the conclusion that she was average looking. It was her talent that would carry her through life. Not her looks. However, that evening as she stood before the floor-length mirror making final adjustments to her outfit, she thought she looked rather spiffy in her silken white blouse and black striped trousers. She had pinned her hair up, not only to show off her face and neck, but to make playing easier, and as always, she wore her gold necklace with the bass clef pendant. For good luck.

But the big change was going with a red lipstick, as well as a dab of perfume. Though she had no proof, she assumed Juliet was pretty savvy when it came to cosmetics and such. "It will be nice to show her that I am capable of looking elegant, when I want to," she told herself, while downplaying any wish for Juliet's approval.

As she slipped into her low-heeled black patent leather shoes, her desire to have Juliet's approval began to nag at her. But worse, was her having second thoughts about the roses. Earlier that day, Adrienne had delivered a dozen roses, along with a note, to the stage manager and had her place them on Juliet's dressing table. The impulse to buy them seemed totally fine at the time, being opening night and all, but now as she thought about it, she wished she hadn't.

"I hope she doesn't freak out, and think I'm romancing her or something weird like that," she fretted. That Juliet might think she had inappropriate feelings for her, was the last thing she wanted. A misunderstanding like that could really put the kibosh on their budding friendship.

The very idea of it made her queasy. And she who usually displayed nerves of steel, saw that her hands were shaking. "Shit! Get it under control, Sokol, or you're going to make a mess of the music," she admonished herself.

Adding to her agitation was knowing her mom would be at the opening. Even though Adrienne really didn't have that much of a role, her mom insisted on being there in support of her daughter. And to hear this wonderful duet Adrienne kept talking about.

~*~*~*~*

Adrienne made her way to the orchestra pit to join the other musicians. She would have liked to have wished Juliet well, but she figured the roses and "Good luck" card would take care of that.

Once the lights dimmed, Adrienne slipped into performance mode. She played a few bits during the first act, but mostly she spent it listening to the show. Whenever Juliet came on stage, she'd get lost in the young actress's character as well as her lovely singing voice.

During intermission, Adrienne decided to remain in the pit. She could feel her nerves starting, and thought it best to stay put. When the second act began and the time for the duet drew closer, Adrienne willed herself into her 'zone.'

And then the duet began. The playing was effortless, and before Adrienne knew it, it was over. What she remembered most about that first live performance, were the tremendous cheers that followed. She remembered Mr. Drexel looking over at her and giving her a double "thumbs up." She even got a pat on the back from one of the string players. She felt giddy with joy, not only for herself, but for Juliet as well. It was something they'd achieved together.

After Juliet took her bow onstage during curtain call, a light shined down on Adrienne who stood and took her bow from her place in the pit. She looked up to see a smiling Juliet at the stage's edge, staring down at her and patting her breast two times with both hands, in a gesture of affection. Adrienne mirrored the gesture, with a tap of her bow, and felt a lump form in her throat. It was one of the most memorable moments of Adrienne's young life.

Show over, Adrienne quickly packed up and met her mom at the front of the stage. She shared a warm hug with her mom who said how much she enjoyed the show, though quick to add that the duet was, by far, her favorite piece of the evening.