Adventure of Rekka Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bill gave Rekka a wink, turning his attention back to Larry without focusing on his hands, the spell broken.

“Dunno. Think I did it to myself. He just stood there pissing himself while I shoved my hands into that forcefield of his,” Bill replied, “He’s alive because I’m not the hard motherfucker I hoped I was. Couldn’t do it. We’ll interrogate him, find out if I’m as stupid as I feel. I’ll hang him myself if that’s the case.”

“Tabby’s watching him. He’ll probably die of a heart attack soon and save us the trouble. Not what I expected from a guy who could throw up a magic shield and toss some kind of deathray your way in the time it took me to pull a trigger,” Larry said. He tossed the other bracer away, with a fair bit of Bill’s flesh.

“Yeah, guess being a priest must be pretty easy, surprised the hell out of me when I got close enough to see how scared the kid was. Pretty sure he was about to cry for his mama, not even joking. Be nice if it’s an act, killing him would simplify things,” Bill replied.

“I doubt it, he looked like a kid with a dead puppy back there and I don’t think it was because his wrist was at a ninety degree angle,” Larry said.

He was pretty sure Bill had given the man a serious case of PTSD. The priest would be having nightmares about berserk rednecks chasing him for the rest of his life. However short that might be.

“Alright, man. Now for the fun part,” Larry said with no small degree of unease.

“Good to go. Worse comes to worst you can have those dwarves hammer me out some hooks.”

Bill could see that Larry wouldn’t have much trouble handling any nitroglycerin they might put together. He could probably perform brain surgery with a steak knife with hands that steady. Eventually Bill felt something.. give, and the gauntlet began to slide free.

“Hey, great news. There’s five of them, whatever they are,” Bill joked. It was either that or cry, and he couldn’t do that to Rekka.

“Jesus. Helena..” Larry began, but saw she was deep in concentration with her singing. If she stopped Bill was very likely going to pass out from the pain. Larry could only compare the burns to leaving a hotdog in a microwave too long.

The other gauntlet came off easier, now that he knew it was only caught on the slightly less crispy flesh of Bill’s wrists. Helena’s song became more intricate then, her horn glowing brighter. Bill watched with fascination as the burns seemed to reverse, slowly crawling down his forearms towards his hands as she moved her palms over him.

When her hands reached his own the charred bits of him began to crumble away as healthy flesh and skin pushed out. A few minutes passed and she lowered her hands, her horn slowly losing its brilliance.

“Gross, man,” Larry said.

“You got that right,” Bill replied. He clapped his limp hands together, clearing away the char and ash that remained.

Rekka threw her arms around Helena, her body shivering with relief as her tail swished through the air.

“Thank you, thank you so much, Helena. I wish I could do somethin’ for you half as good,” Rekka told her.

“Yeah, Helena, words can’t express. You ever need anything, just ask. Whatever it is, I’ll get it done,” Bill promised. He just hoped she’d want something broken, he was good at that.

Bill was only a little disappointed he wasn’t going to be able to sit Larry down with those dwarves and design some cool medieval cyborg hands. This was almost as good.

“You are quite welcome, both of you. I am only ever happy to help, do not concern yourselves,” she replied, her horn glowing brighter. She smiled gently at Rekka when she pulled free.

Bill twisted his back and flexed his shoulders, impressed that Helena had whisked away all his burns back there too. If his barbarian had someone like her in the party he’d have driven the DM mad with his antics.

Well, more mad. He was sure his old friend was still feeling regret for allowing an immovable rod to fall into his very wrong hands.

“We should finish this. Helena, please stay here and rest. Rekka, could you watch over them? Felix, try and get the sword out of there, please?” Bill asked. He’d have to remember to tell Felix he was now the Prime Minister of Canada if he managed it. Rekka nodded unhappily, but knew the importance of keeping Helena safe.

“I’m going to go check on that priest. Stay behind me, Larry, I don’t know if he’s got any fight left in him but apparently Merlin’s still got my back when it comes to holy shit,” Bill explained.

“Oh fuck!” Larry blurted, “Right, about that. Now I know why my wizard is such a dick. He’s a fucking priest.”

“What?”

“Yeah, those knights are just like the guys that beat the shit out of me when I first got here, I’ll never forget it. Same style armor, got that stupid wing on their chest. Makes sense, I guess. It sure looked like a church,” Larry explained.

“No shit? Holy war it is, then,” Bill muttered as he stomped back towards the fire.

Ignoring the priest, who hadn’t moved an inch and just stared at him with an expression he couldn’t place, Bill walked over to the knight he’d killed. He wanted a good look at his breastplate. The other one wasn’t going to give much detail. Unable to use his hands yet, he flipped the body over with his boot and squatted down for a better look. As he’d expected he felt absolutely no twinge of conscience as he looked over the man he’d killed.

Taking up most of the center of the breastplate was a stylized gold engraving showing wings in profile enfolding and protecting a kneeling figure. It looked pretty benevolent until he thought about it. Obviously this god didn’t think his worshipers could take care of themselves. He could see how that might not be too healthy in the long run.

He looked up at Larry, who nodded his head at him in confirmation.

“Yeah, that’s it. If they had those on their boots I’d have my own tattoo to show off.”

Bill couldn’t remember if Flavius had the wing motif on his breastplate. He hadn’t been looking for such things and Rekka had dented the shit out of it in any case.

“They sound like real decent god fearing thugs. Looks like we’ve made enemies with an overprotective Father here,” Bill remarked, “Let’s go bully His kid some more. Stay behind me.”

They walked over to the priest who’d stopped shaking in terror and now just stared at Bill with what looked like awe. He was incredibly pale, though Bill couldn’t tell if it was due to the injury, fear, or if he never got much sun. Mousy brown hair clipped short to his skull, soulful brown eyes, and soft features gave him the full package of some harmless dork. Bill looked around the camp then at Larry who was wisely standing behind him.

“Where’s Tabitha?” he asked, “I thought she was watching him.”

“She is. I didn’t want him watching her, though. Don’t know what else the guy can do, just told him if he moved she’d be on him before he could regret it.”

“Good idea,” Bill said, nodding. He returned his attention to the priest.

“So, kill many “monsters” lately?” Bill asked him.

“No, I only ever killed you,” the priest replied softly. He had a dazed look on his face and didn’t seem to be paying much attention to what was happening now.

Bill chuckled, saying, “Sorry to disappoint you, and probably a whole helluva lot of other people, but I’m still among the living.”

“Oh, no, I meant I thought I killed you. It was awful. Could I see them, please?” he asked, clearly distracted.

“See what, now?” Bill asked. The kid was confusing him as much as Bill usually did others.

“The patterns! Please, turn around,” the priest begged, he started to sit up before he froze, looking around for tiger women.

“Shit, I think he may have hit his head when I threw him down,” Bill sighed.

“I think he means your tattoo,” Larry said, waving Tabby back. She’d darted forward as soon as the priest started moving, well out of the man’s field of vision.

“What do you know about it?” Bill asked, jerking a thumb over his shoulder. Well, he tried to. The reflex gesture almost caused his limp hand to slap him in the face.

“Nothing! Everything! I’ve never seen so many, not ever! So many in one place, overlapping, and moving, and patterns I’ve never seen before! I have only learnt those the divine messengers have revealed to the Church. Please, how were they placed on you? Why did you.. why would the Chief God allow this?” he asked. He looked around at the bodies, beginning to shake again. Then his eyes latched onto his holy symbol behind Bill.

“Don’t even think about it,” Bill ordered, sighting it himself and nodding at Larry to grab it. He couldn’t pick anything up right now. Larry retrieved it, looking it over then showing it to Bill.

It was a sturdily crafted golden idol of the symbol on the deceased crusader’s breastplate, attached to wooden rosary beads. Bill wondered if it was real gold. Maybe he’d gift it to Sarah to add to her hoard, a little souvenir for missing out.

“No, sir! I wouldn’t, I couldn’t. It.. it is blasphemy to even consider it. Just.. why? I don’t understand why someone beloved of the Chief God would do this..”

“Hah, sorry man. I’m pretty sure this god of yours considers me public enemy number one. Well, close second to that Demon Lord of yours. What’s he got to do with my tattoo?” Bill asked.

“But, but the patterns! My Lord’s will is writ clear! You are under His divine protection. They.. we.. are the Order of the Chief God, surely there has been a terrible mistake! We are not your enemy.”

“Wait, this shit makes sense to you?” Bill asked, indicating his back with a nod.

“Yes! No? I don’t know. Nothing makes very much sense.. Please, please let me see them,” he begged.

The young man seemed to focus for a moment, looking down at his broken wrist. While Larry had exaggerated the angle of the break, it was still very ugly. Bones could be seen pushing against the skin. The priest turned away and vomited noisily. Bill and Larry backed up quickly, not wanting to receive this holy offering.

“Wha.. when did..?” the priest mumbled. He looked up at Bill with shame. “I’m sorry,” he apologized softly. Then he slumped onto his back, slipping into unconsciousness in self defense.

“Dammit, what a cliffhanger. Guess we’ll have to keep him alive, now. At least he should be easier to control than those other goodly fuckheads,” Bill finished with a sigh, hoping the angel and hero were distracted screwing their brains out.

He looked around for Tabitha, but apparently she’d tucked herself back behind a blade of grass again.

“Tabitha, could you come here please?” Bill called. She faded into reality from the other side of the trees than she had appeared from before. Bill chuckled and shook his head, always impressed with the herculean cat burglar.

“Yes, Bill? Do you need me to..?” Tabitha asked quietly, raising her claws. Her feelings broke through her mask, and she looked deeply unhappy at the prospect. The priest’s pitiful demeanor was an admirable predator deterrent. Bill was almost certain he could travel safely back home just by whimpering at everything that might threaten him.

“Nah, I think he might be a little more harmless than first thought, we’ll just have to keep an eye on him. Hopefully he needs his knock-off crucifix there to bother his god with,” he reported, “I wouldn’t ask you to do anything like that, anyway. If I need someone executed I’ll do it myself if at all possible, you and Rekka don’t need this shit on your conscience. Don’t hesitate to tell me to get fucked if you disagree with any of this, but thank you for being here.”

“I’m glad. I don’t enjoy this.. but it was necessary. That man does not seem like these, and he is very young,” Tabitha replied, breathing easier. She would have cut him down if he threatened Larry or her friends again, but simply murdering him would have weighed on her.

“I get you. Doesn’t seem like he was fired up to fight, in any case. If you wouldn’t mind carrying him over to Helena?” he asked, “I don’t want to call her back here. If we don’t enjoy this shit, she’s got to be pretty fucked up about it. She’s good people, I wouldn’t have been surprised if she’d taken one look at this and run off with Felix to get away from me. She still might, once she knows we’re all ok.”

“No, she wouldn’t. You’re a good man, Bill. I know it, she knows it. We all know,” Tabitha said, stepping close and placing her great paw on his shoulder. She smiled at him encouragingly, a sure sign she meant what she said. Once Tabitha made an expression you could trust it.

“Thanks, Tabitha. I’m not sure I agree with you, but thanks all the same. I’m trying to not let all this turn me into something I don’t like,” he replied. “If you ever want out of this, you say the word. I won’t hold you and Larry back. I will warn you now, I’ll do whatever it takes to keep Rekka and y’all alive. Even if I have to become the Devil this Chief God seems to want me to be.”

Bill looked down at the young priest. He’d been moments away from snapping the kid’s neck. His fear for his loved ones and fury of what the priest represented had pushed him to kill a scared teenager with every fiber of his being. He was thankful he’d managed to step back from the edge. This time.

“You won’t,” Tabitha stated. She gave Larry an amused smile, which he returned, rolling his eyes.

“Yeah, dude. Now you’re the one that needs to relax, we’re the not-so-bad guys. Hell, these are the good guys. Can’t get much worse than them,” Larry said.

Bill huffed out a laugh, losing his dour mood. He’d spoken truly to them, but if they stuck around thinking he wasn’t a piece of shit he’d try to live up to their expectations.

Tabitha patted him once more on the shoulder before turning to gently lift the priest, careful not to jostle his broken wrist. They walked back to Helena and Felix, Rekka faithfully keeping vigil over their less dangerous friends.

“Oh! The poor boy, his wrist must be so painful. Quickly, lay him here. Thank you Bill, I knew you would not allow any further harm to him,” Helena cried, beaming a smile at Bill as her horn lit up.

She really was too good to be hanging out with him.

“Uh, yeah, you got it Helena. If everyone would back up a bit? I hope you can do this with me between you and him, Helena. He might look like a newborn kitten, but he’s got claws. He tries anything else, we'll have to split up and find the biggest part left if you want another go at healing him,” Bill replied, carefully kneeling on one knee before Helena.

Rekka ignored him, placing her paw on his back. He couldn’t say anything, he had promised and this was pretty stupid. He was going to drop his knee onto the kids neck the moment he saw any golden light.

A worry struck him then.

“Just a sec, Helena, maybe we should hold off anyway. He’s not dying, and I don’t need you straining yourself. Regrowing my hands had to be pretty taxing,” Bill told her.

“No, I am fine, really. Now that you mention it, healing you has never been any exertion whatsoever. How strange. I agree, your hands were simply.. I would expect to be somewhat overtired, I do not know why this is so,” Helena said with an air of wonder.

“Well damn. Now, don’t go touching it again just in case, but I’m guessing the Rorschach test on my back has something to do with it,” Bill said, “Go ahead and fix him up, he seemed to have an idea of what it is.”

His guardian-Merlin sure had pulled out the stops. It was suspicious as all hell. If it turned out to be some kind of leash he’d rather take his chances as a vulnerable free man. Despite likely saving his life more times than he knew, if it threatened Rekka at all he’d burn it off without a second thought.

“I am sure everything will be fine, Bill. This will only take a moment, please do not.. do anything hasty if he should wake suddenly. He was so terribly frightened,” Helena beseeched, looking over the young man.

“Don’t worry, Helena. I won’t do anything I don’t have to. Just stay behind me, I don’t want to hurt him, but he’s not going to get a chance to hurt you or anyone else,” Bill replied, his balance shifting forward over the priest. He wasn’t taking any chances, and that scrawny neck of his wouldn’t take very much effort at all to snap. Felix remained kneeling by Helena’s side, he was holding the sword and Bill gave him an approving nod which he returned with a shaky smile.

Helena reached her hands between Bill and Rekka to hover them over the broken wrist. The light of her horn illuminating the young priest’s face as she sang. The priest let out a happy breath, almost a laugh, as a smile spread across his face. Helena finished shortly, a broken bone simple to heal, a task she had performed more often than she could recall.

Helena shuffled awkwardly to observe the priest’s face, careful to keep Bill between her and the poor boy. She was touched by how protective her friends were, though she was certain this young man was no danger to them any longer.

Bill could see her horn was still lit, obviously she was happy the kid had survived his run in with him. He almost felt the same, but only time would tell if his survival was mercy or weakness. The priest began to mumble softly as he woke, a smile still on his face.

He was sure to lose that once he came to his senses, Bill thought.

“Mm, wha..?” the priest began, his eyes cracking open, turning his head to look at the light source to his right. His eyes widened upon seeing Helena’s horn, then he met her eyes as she smiled encouragingly down at him. Surprisingly his smile grew as he took her all in, raising his wrist to see it no longer appeared broken.

“Forgive me, I doubted, I should have had faith my Lord would not do this without reason.. Thank you,” he whispered, before turning to look at Bill, surprising him as his smile remained in place as the man sighed with relief.

“My, you are most welcome. I am so very relieved you are well,” Helena told him happily, her voice growing somber as she went on, “I am sorry your companions did not fare so well, truly.”

“Yes.. I too. I believe I understand the why of it. My Lord would know they would be unable to accept this. I am sure He will understand, and grant them peace at His side,” he responded, closing his eyes for a moment in prayer.

“Yeah. You’re going to have to explain all that. Glad to see you’re not throwing any golden deathrays around, but I gotta say I didn’t expect you to wake up smiling. Me and your God don’t see eye to eye, you know. These ladies, they’re on His hit list and I’ll be damned if I allow Him to harm them,” Bill broke in.

“He has not revealed His plan to you? But.. you are His avatar. The patterns.. the miracles! They are nearly the same as I know. They would not remain, not protect you without His will. I would not dare to know His plans, but I believe He must want peace, an end to this.. terrible fighting. The proof is in your companions, men and demons working together. I do not know why He saw fit to only bless me with miracles of war, but I am sure He has His reasons..” he trailed off, looking over at Helena with yearning. “I so wish He had chosen me to heal.”

“Shit,” Bill swore, falling heavily on his ass.

This had to be a joke. He really hoped his Merlin wasn’t some dickhead god, much less the one with the big G. From what he’d learned of this world’s history from Rekka and others he had spoken to, the Guy was a complete Fuckup.

“What’s up, Bill?” Larry asked, the priest had spoken too softly for him to make out the conversation next to Tabby, well out of the way. At least they had the sense to stay away from what might have been a very rude awakening.

1...678910...21