After All These Years

Story Info
Best friends, exes, a whole world apart... then this.
7.5k words
4.54
9.9k
14

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 02/08/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 1

It was finally the weekend, but Phoenix had made no plans to do anything, so he was sitting on his couch in his apartment, phone in hand. He scrolled through Facebook for a while, but then got bored of that and decided to just take a walk.

It was a nice sunny, warm day. February in Arizona was always nice. Ironically, he lived in Phoenix, so he was definitely living up to his name. He laughed at the thought as he put on his shoes and slipped out the front door. It was early afternoon, people bustling around the little shops in town. Phoenix headed for the outskirts of town, walking toward the smaller parks.

At the park he sat on a bench, pulling his phone out again. Just as he looked at the screen a message popped up that made him smile.

R: Hey, long time no talk! How are you?

He glanced at the name of the person who sent him the message and his smile got even bigger. Rose Black. Sure, this was the same Rose that was his ex-girlfriend, but they had stayed friends for a long time. She lived way across the states in New York, and they had actually never met. Online dating worked for a few years but after a while it just became too much for her and they had to break it off. Phoenix had had a few girlfriends since their breakup, but none of them quite compared to her. He felt his smile brighten as he typed a reply.

P: I'm ok. Better now, anyway. Been a while. What've you been up to?

Phoenix waited silently, tapping his foot on the ground. Memories flooded his mind of the times they would video chat, of all the days he would think about her while working and how excited he would get to talk to her in the evenings. She had even admitted to feeling the exact same way while she was working, too. His phone buzzed.

R: Haha, that's good. Not much, really. Just found out my job is sending some of us to Arizona for a month to teach some new members of the team. So happens I'm one of those people coming there. You still live out there, right?

The smile on his face was sure big enough for anyone to notice now. He typed his reply quickly, but tried to make it seem like he wasn't as excited as he felt.

P: Oh, that's cool. Yeah, I still live here. A whole month, huh? That's a long while.

He waited, watching the chat bubble appear and disappear as Rose typed back.

R: Yeah. I was hoping that we could maybe meet up while I'm there. Seeing as we've never actually properly met. Just a thought.

Phoenix's heart was beating hard in his chest and he paused, thumbs lingering above the screen before he began typing again.

P: I'd like that. When do you fly in? I can pick you up.

The reply came very quickly after his.

R: Awesome! I'm actually just about to get on my flight right now. Haha. I have two layovers, but I should be in around 7 this evening. I can always get an uber if you don't want to drive into the city. I'd actually like it if we could meet somewhere for dinner...

Fuck, she's going to be here today... I've got no time to even process this. His mind was in a frenzy now as he typed back.

P: Actually, yeah. If you're getting in tonight, probably get an uber. It's the weekend so the city will be pretty busy. The outskirts of Phoenix is where I am, so it's not too crazy, and there's a great pizza place just down the road from my apartment. I'll send you the address and we can meet there if you want.

R: Sounds great. See you then...

It felt like it was happening so fast. He hadn't spoken to her for a few months since she had gotten her new job and since he had started working overtime, so seeing her that evening felt like everything suddenly was piling on top of him. He stood up from the bench and made his way home. In just a few hours he'd be seeing one of his best friends for the first time in real life. His heart pounding harder and harder, thoughts going through his mind. What were they going to talk about? Work? That was boring.

Once he reached his apartment he spent the next hour off and on staring at himself in the mirror, practicing what he was going to say when he finally met her. He had changed his clothes about three times, trying to find something that looked really good on him. Thoughts of their past relationship flooded his mind again. He was single and really missed her, but he didn't even know if she was still single or not. Clothes changed again, and again... mirror conversations... phone buzz...

R: Hey, my layover is going to be a little longer than I thought... and being me, I forgot to make reservations at a hotel. My boss made reservations at this fancy-ass expensive hotel, but I really don't want to be with the work crew if I don't have to, and it's all the way on the northern side of Phoenix so... I can still get the uber to that pizza place, but would you mind looking for a hotel for me to stay tonight? Preferably in the area.

Phoenix looked at his phone, then sighed, thinking. No great hotels near him and honestly he just wanted to tell her she could stay at his place, but he didn't want to go that far just yet. He knew he wouldn't be able to keep to himself if he offered it. Maybe he'd hint at it...

P: I'll look online. If I can't find anything, do you want me to drive you back to the city with your work crew? Or?

Anxiety to the max. He felt it pulsing throughout his body. No way to take back that "or", which basically meant "Or stay at mine".

R: Ok. I mean, I guess so. If there's nothing else.

P: I'll let you know what I find. Did you get the address I sent you?

R: Yep! Can't wait! It'll most likely be more around 8pm, now.

P: That works for me. See you later.

Phoenix closed his phone and shoved it in his pocket. He wanted her to stay with him, but another part of him was telling him not to even mention it. He decided to spend the rest of the afternoon just trying to calm himself down before he had to head out to meet her.

He laid on his bed, staring at the ceiling, which eventually lead to him falling asleep. It felt like a short nap... he was wrong. He woke to his phone buzzing. A phone call. He quickly answered it without looking at the number.

"Yeah?" he said groggily, rubbing his eyes.

"Hey, I texted you like five times," it was Rose's voice. God, it was good to hear her voice. "I landed a bit ago, heading out your way now. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm almost there." Her voice went distant as she asked the driver where they were, then she got back to the phone. "Yeah. Like five miles or so."

"Ah shit," Phoenix stood up quickly, looking around the room. He looked in the mirror and fixed his hair quickly, then made his way out of the room and then out of the apartment. "Yeah, sorry. I fell asleep. I'll be there."

"Okay, see you soon," she hung up, leaving him to put the phone back into his pocket.

Phoenix got his keys out of his pocket and walked to where his car was parked. He had a 2008 red Honda Civic that he kept in good condition. It was a great ride around car, especially for city travel. He hopped in and started it up, backing out and drove down to the local pizza place. Once there, he parked and got out, looking around. The pizza place had an outdoor seating area, but no sign of Rose there. He wondered if she had even gotten there yet. Traffic was picking up, a lot of people going out for the night and heading for the city. He sat outside at one of the tables, waiting, and sure enough a car pulled up with an uber sticker on the side. It sat there for a moment until the back door opened and he saw her. Rose was just as he remembered from all of the times they video chatted and from all of the pictures. Her blond hair was done up in a low ponytail and it blew slightly in the warm air. She pulled a suitcase from the seat beside her and sat it down on the sidewalk.

"Thank you," he heard her say to her driver, then she closed the door and the car drove off. She turned around and looked at the pizza place, not looking over to where he was sitting. He smiled at her thoughtful look, then waved at her to get her attention. The smile on her face when she saw him made his heart race again, another huge smile on his face.

"I beat you here," Phoenix stood up, grinning and folding his arms.

Rose laughed as she walked over, then stopped in front of him and put the handle down on her suitcase. "Well, if it weren't for that crazy-ass traffic I would have been here a lot sooner."

It was silent for a moment, which felt kind of tense and awkward. I've never even properly met her before... what do I do... Phoenix thought, trying to avoid eye contact, but failed and looked directly into her bright blue eyes. "Good flight?" You idiot. That's probably the last thing she wants to talk about.

"Actually, it was decent," Rose shrugged, sitting down at the table next to them. "The only sucky part was the layovers. My co-workers are morons, all talking about work and stupid shit. Like, yeah I'm here for work, too, but I would like to enjoy my time by not talking about it."

Don't talk about work, got it. "Ah," He nodded, sitting across from her now. "So besides all that, how awesome is it that we finally are meeting in person?"

The smile on her face told him she was really excited about it. He glanced down at her hand. No ring, so she wasn't married or engaged. No way of knowing if she was single without asking, though. Later, he thought, taking notes in his mind. "Absolutely exciting!" She sounded so enthusiastic. "I never thought I'd get out of New York, and I know you probably would've never made it to New York either. Honestly, I didn't even think about it until my boss said we'd be coming to Phoenix... odd that you live in a place that's the same as your name."

"It just makes me all that much cooler," Phoenix shrugged and smiled. "I'm glad you messaged me. Are you hungry?"

"Starving," Rose stood up from her seat and so did he. "We go in to order?"

"Yeah," Phoenix took a few steps over to her, grinning. "Do I get a hug, by the way? You came all this way."

Rose grinned and threw her arms around him, catching him slightly off guard, but then returned the hug tightly. I don't want to let her go, he thought, but did anyway. If only she could hear how hard his heart was beating in his chest. They walked in together and ordered a large pizza to share.

"Dine in or carry out?" the cashier asked.

Rose looked at Phoenix and shrugged. "I'd kind of like to get carry out and go somewhere else, if that's okay with you."

"Carry out, then," Phoenix said, then they went to sit and wait for the pizza to be done.

"So, did you end up finding a hotel nearby, or?" Rose asked.

"Ah, shit," Phoenix had somewhat intended to at least look for one, but because he had fallen asleep he didn't even get a chance. "No, sorry. The only place I know of is down the street, so we can stop by after food and see if they have rooms available. They usually do."

"Oh, okay," was that disappointment he heard in her voice?

"So, what have you been up to over the last few months?" Phoenix changed the subject.

"Mostly work, honestly," she shrugged. "I rarely get time to do anything fun. My friends try to get me to come out on weekends, but by that time I'm just tired and want to stay home and watch tv or sleep. What about you?"

She didn't mention a boyfriend, this is good... "Sounds boring. About as boring as what I've been up to. Just work, and when not working usually home. Sometimes I'll go out, but not very often."

"Remember when we'd spend all of our free time talking about the most random shit?" Rose laughed, smiling at the memories. "And the old group of friends we had. Jeez, I'm glad we aren't friends with them anymore, though. Way too much drama. I mean, not that there wasn't with us-"

"There wasn't really any drama between us, though," Phoenix cut in, shrugging. "The best friendship I had with anyone was the one I had with you. Still have. And finally meeting you, actually meeting, has made that friendship stronger, I think."

"Yeah, I agree," Rose was a little quiet now, but she still carried on. "I mean, sure there were some awkward times between us. After we broke up and all..."

"A few, I guess," Phoenix shrugged, not wanting to think about all of that. "Mostly because I missed you like crazy and was jealous of anyone who breathed near you."

"Honestly, I was the same when I heard you were with that Amalie chick like right after we broke up," the tension was getting weird now.

"Well, I messed up there," Phoenix needed that pizza to be done now. Right now. "She was a bitch and I was just stupid for not seeing it. Honestly just stopped looking for a relationship after that."

Rose nodded, biting her lip and looking down at her hands. "So you're not with anyone now?"

Perfect opportunity. "No. Like I said. Stopped looking." He watched her facial expression, then asked the question he'd wanted to ask. "What about you?"

"Ha, yeah, right. I don't have time for that," his heart beat faster at her answer. "No guy would want to be with my lazy ass."

I like your lazy ass, though. "I'm sure there are loads of guys who'd want to be with you," fuck, don't ruin this, idiot. "I mean, New York. Sure there are loads of guys that notice you. You're pretty and smart and all."

Rose smiled slightly but he was sure she didn't want him to notice this because she quickly hid it. "Nah," she sighed and shrugged. "I'd just mess up any relationship I got into."

"Beg to differ," he whispered.

"What?"

"Nothing," he glanced up quickly to see someone bringing a pizza box out to them. "Ah, pizza!"

With the tension broken, Phoenix grabbed the box and unlocked his car, opening the back seat door for Rose to put her suitcase in. "We can stop by the hotel, you can run in and I'll wait for you," he said, going around to the driver's side.

"Okay," Rose shoved her suitcase into the back and closed the door, getting into the passenger side. "Nice car."

"Thanks," Phoenix started it up, handing her the pizza box and pulling out of the parking spot. He drove to the hotel, which was only about a mile away, then stopped outside the front lobby. Rose got out and went inside.

Fuck, I really hope there's no rooms left. His mind went places he had only ever been able to imagine before. Now that he knew she was single... Fuck. No, stop thinking about that. She said no relationships.

The car door opened and Rose got back in, heaving a sigh. "The guy said they just sold their last room. Are you sure there's nowhere else?"

"Well," Phoenix bit the inside of his cheek, hoping she would agree. "I've got room if you just want to stay the night and look again tomorrow. It is getting pretty late to find a place anyway."

"I suppose," Rose smiled, closing her door and holding the pizza on her lap. "If it's not too much for you. I don't want to impose or anything."

"Nah, it's fine with me," Phoenix pulled out of the parking lot and headed for his apartment. The drive was quiet until they arrived.

"Thanks," Rose looked over at him, a small smile on her lips. "We should probably get in and devour this pizza. I'm starving."

"Same," He smiled and got out of the car, then grabbed her suitcase from the back seat and carried it for her.

They walked to his door and he unlocked it with his key, kicking it the rest of the way open. He switched the lights on and realized that he hadn't really cleaned up before. Yeah, because you fucking fell asleep.

"Forgive the mess," Phoenix kicked aside a few things and pulled the suitcase in, Rose following right behind. He closed the door once she was inside and sat the suitcase next to it. He picked up a couple of things and tossed them into a small box, making the room somewhat cleaner.

"Don't worry, I won't call the clean police," Rose laughed and sat the pizza box on the kitchen table. She moved aside a few dirty dishes to the sink, then sat on a chair and opened the pizza box. "Let's eat."

Phoenix walked over to the table after the room was a bit more clean, then grabbed some napkins and handed her one. The pizza smelled so good. They both took some slices and ate in silence. It was a very filling meal, quite satisfying. Once they finished, Rose got up from the table and went over to her suitcase, opening it and grabbing a few items of clothing from it.

"Mind if I get a shower? Airplanes make me feel so gross," She looked so cute standing there.

"Ah, uh," Stop thinking about her all wet in your shower and answer the damn question. "Yeah. Sorry. It's just inside the bedroom on the left."

"Thanks," she walked into the bedroom and out of sight.

Phoenix heard the bathroom door shut and the water in the tub turn on. He thought about the sleeping arrangements and decided to give her his bed. He walked into his room and flicked the light switch on. Of course this room was a mess, too. He quickly tidied it and then grabbed an extra pillow and a blanket and took it out to the couch for himself. He kept hearing the water running, his imagination running wild with the thought of her in his shower. Now look what you've done to yourself.

"Shit," Phoenix whispered to himself, glancing down at his bulging jeans. "Not now."

Just then, the water turned off in the bathroom and he heard the curtain open. He quickly sat on the couch and covered his lap with the blanket he had brought out. Even though it was quite warm inside, he had no other way to hide his raging boner. He tried to think of other things, but nothing was making it go away. He heard the bathroom door open, then saw her walk out of his room. She was drying her hair with a towel and didn't notice him looking at her, so he took the opportunity to look her up and down. Her red pajama shorts barely covered the bottom of her ass cheeks, and her black v-neck top hung loosely on her. She wasn't wearing a bra, so things were moving very freely.

"Hey, thanks," she turned and saw him sitting on the couch. "I feel really refreshed after that."

"Airplanes make me feel gross, too, so I understand," Phoenix needed to calm himself down or he'd be sitting there all night. "I've made up the bed for you. Figured you'd want to sleep in an actual bed."

"Oh, you didn't have to do that," Rose walked into the bedroom for a second, putting the towel on the drying rack and coming back out. "I'd be fine with the couch."

"Nah, you'll take the bed," He insisted, smiling.

"Well... thanks," Rose smiled, then went over to her suitcase, picking it up and taking it into the bedroom. She came back out and walked over to the couch. By now he wasn't as hard, so he didn't have to sit so awkwardly. He scooted over and she sat down next to him.

"Want to watch a movie?" He asked, turning on the tv. As soon as the screen was on there was an animal documentary on, talking about how lions choose their mate and then talking about the mating process. Fumbling, Phoenix switched the channel and glanced over at Rose who was laughing silently. "What?"

"Weird thing for that to just be on right now," She said, giggling. Has she been thinking the same things as I have?... no, no she's not. Stop.

"I'll find something better," he flicked through a lot of channels before settling on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. "Ah, nice. One of the best of the films."

"It's my favorite one," Rose leaned over against the arm of the couch, making herself comfortable. She looked over at him and grinned. "Aren't you hot under the blanket?"

Hot for you. "Not really," he shrugged. "I was a little cool. You have to remember, I've lived here for a long time so this weather doesn't feel quite as warm to me as it does to you. I couldn't wear shorts right now like you so easily can."