After the Second Fall Pt. 01.2

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Actually, Doc, that's why I stopped by early: I would like to have an answer in case the topic comes up. It doesn't have to be definitive, but I've found that it always helps to have a plausible explanation in my back pocket."

"As you like. Would you like the detailed explanation, or the layman's version?"

"Simple is fine for now -- I'll get the details later," said John with a trace of sarcasm, which was entirely lost on the doctor.

"In the simplest terms, we can measure electrical pulses in the brain. The quantity of these pulses in Pip's brain is larger than typical."

When the doctor didn't say anything else, John prompted him. "That's it?"

"Yes, but that is quite something," responded the doctor with atypical enthusiasm. "More pulses may mean that he perceives events more quickly, as you suggested: it could certainly explain his improved reaction time, although it is only a hypothesis at this point."

"Okay, I guess that makes sense to me. How many more pulses are we talking, Doc?"

"That would be very hard to say based on the relatively poor resolution of our equipment. An educated guess would be three to five percent better than Adam standard, which is already significantly better than a typical man."

"Huh," grunted John, disappointed. "Any idea what causes it?"

"Unfortunately not. It's not likely to be a brain chemistry effect; more likely it is something structural, but without physically examining the brain itself, I won't be able to say with certainty."

"Alright, Doc, thanks. If some of this comes up at the Council, will it put you in a bad position?"

The doctor thought about it and then shook his head, "Not likely."

"Thanks again, Doc -- see you there."

Walking out the door he motioned to Max and the two walked toward John's office. "What did he say?"

"Pip's brain is more active than normal; Doc thinks that could account for a few percent improvement, but that certainly doesn't explain the entire Effect."

"Agreed. Nothing else then?"

"He also said it's probably structural. My interpretation is that means genetic, rather than environmental. In other words, it was something the R&D guys did round about nineteen batches ago, but I doubt it was intentional -- probably a side effect of their experimentation."

"Do you think it has something to do with Pip's size?"

John paused before he replied. "If I had to guess, I would say the two are related, but who knows -- the real question is how much to share with the Council."

"You're still planning on hiding this, then?"

"Not hiding, but definitely being circumspect for now, at least in front of the full Council."

"What are you afraid they'll do?"

"For starters," replied John, "cut Pip into pieces to see what exactly is different. From a program perspective, we've been moderately successful in recent matches, so we don't need to make huge strides. It might be the prudent path to sacrifice Pip the individual to replicate results for the next generation."

"I'll agree that the Council doesn't care about individual Adams, but you think they would give up such a short-term advantage? I'm not convinced. My four consecutive wins increased the area of Rieckenburg by more than five percent; with Pip's abilities, we could be looking at expansion beyond what's been seen in the last four or five decades."

"Maybe you're right. Tell me, Max -- is it wrong that I'm hoping that the Council are more greedy than they are patient?"

"Not wrong necessarily, but perhaps a bit unconventional. What's your plan? You always seem to have one."

John shrugged. "I have a couple ideas, but I won't really know until I see which way the discussion goes. I just hope Pip has other friends in the room."

John's concern for Pip's immediate future, it turned out, was largely unnecessary. Discussion in the Council meeting focused on Dr. Shepard's autopsy report, the repeated killing strike, and not at all on Pip himself. Director Jacobs talked about a research project on how to increase bone strength, while Director Jacobs argued for a research study to pinpoint as many fatal strike points as possible; both proposals were accepted without serious opposition, although each had been tried before.

As the Council meeting was dismissed, John's retreat was halted when the Executive Director called out to him. "Mr. Rogers, stay and talk with me for a moment."

When the room cleared, John sat down at the Executive Director's right hand. "Hello, John. How have you been?"

The Executive Director would have been an imposing figure to nearly anybody, being only two fingers shorter than John, but he had known her for his entire life, so it was only her intellect that actually intimidated him. "Good, Cass, thank you. How is life at the head of the table?" he asked, hoping he wasn't overstepping. "Everything you wanted?"

She smiled ruefully. "It is what I expected, and that is enough. What do you think of our two new paths of study?"

Familiar as he was with her, John had the sense to remain guarded. "Truth be told, I don't think either will yield very much."

"Nor I. Do you know why we will proceed regardless?"

John shook his head.

"Because they might. Small advantages are so crucial in matches now, we have to look under every stone, even if we've done so before.

"John, consider the four foremost world powers: ourselves, Northumberland, Gracia, and Marbelo; over the last decade, do you know the actual win percentages for matches among these four cities?" John had a pretty good idea, but not the specific numbers, so he shook his head again.

"Northumberland is best, winning fifty-two percent of matches; Marbelo is worst, winning forty-seven percent. Against the rest of the world, our four cities win more than eighty percent of the time. What does this say to you?"

John, unsure of the point to which she was building, opted to stay silent.

"It means that there is, practically speaking, no difference between us and our closest antagonists. For any given match, we expect the chance of victory to be equivalent to the chance of defeat. Consequently, there are only little changes: borders swap back and forth so often that the impacted people hold no particular allegiance. Meanwhile, trade between the four languishes due to lack of trust, so that each of us lack adequate food and water, medicine is scarce, and most of the population grows up uneducated.

"Now I want you to imagine one of those nations with a decisive advantage. Think of what could happen if one power could rise up above the others. You know that a better standard is possible for the world; this is evident when you walk around the Complex. We simply don't have the means to feed, clothe, and care for almost one hundred thousand people, but if we had the resources of the surrounding areas, this would be much more achievable."

John was becoming increasingly uncomfortable as the Executive Director continued her soliloquy, starting to get a sense of where she was going. When she wound down, he tentatively ventured, "Yes, I can see how circumstances are frustrating for one in your position."

"I expect so," she returned. "I also expect that you will do anything in your power to improve the lives of so many. Am I correct?"

Sensing a trap, John deferred. "What can I do?"

"You can start by telling me about your charge."

John willed himself to stay calm, surreptitiously slowing his breathing to maintain his heart's current cadence. "Of course. What would you like to know?"

"John, I've known you since you were born, so don't act dense. I know Pip is different, but not how or why."

He paused, weighing his options. "How much do you already know?" She gave him a warning look, so he quickly added, "It's just that I don't want to waste your time on details that you are already familiar with."

"I have nothing more important to do than this, John."

"Yes, ma'am," he replied, and started recounting what he knew about Pip. He started with his observation from the fight with Hammer, provided overviews of his conversations with Directors Humbolt and Collins, the training with Max, and also his own conclusions from the fight with Ranger. He went on to describe his most recent conversation with Dr. Shepard, but specifically did not mention anything about Pip's altered perception of time. "There are more details, of course, but that's most of it."

The Executive Director was quiet for some time. "You did excellent work, John. I doubt other handlers would have identified Pip's promise from that first fight, and I'm certain that none would have risked their charges as you did. Do you personally think this increase in ability is genetic?"

"Yes, ma'am, I do."

"If that is the case, it should be possible to create more like him. Do you agree?"

John considered before replying, "In theory, yes, but I'm not sure it will actually happen. My hesitation is because Pip wasn't meant to be different, or so I'm told, and the white coats in R&D still haven't managed to explain why. If I had to, I would guess that something happened prior to fertilization, but I couldn't tell you what."

The Executive Director stared at him emotionlessly, waiting for him to continue. John, having told her his honest opinion, stared back. "Very well," she said at last. "I will have Director Jacobs reexamine the files surrounding his fertilization and gestation. Thank you for your time, John."

"Thank you, ma'am," John said before leaving the room. Back in the hallway, he found Max once again waiting for him.

"Did you crack?"

"Like an egg," John replied, feeling quite exhausted, "but I held a little back. What's more, I think I managed to convince her that Pip is unique; that should keep anyone from getting any ideas about experimenting on him."

"Hmm. So what now?"

"Keep doing what you're doing, just tone it back some. I have a strong sense that Pip's going to see the Arena -- big 'A' -- before too long, but we will have some notice. Keep pushing, but don't burn him out."

"You're the boss."

"Yeah, that'll be the day."

Shortly afterward, John was walking into Director Collins' office for their prearranged meeting. "So you survived the interrogation -- how bad is it?"

John, who hadn't yet made it to a chair, stopped mid-stride. "Well... it could have been worse."

"That's not particularly encouraging. Did she change our plans?"

"You mean, did she veto using Pip as your poster child? No -- it didn't come up, actually; but I did tell her most of what we know, excluding the whole time thing."

"Really?" Lilith asked, surprised. "How did you manage that? Any time she stares me down, I sing like a songbird."

John finally reached his chair. "I tell her the truth, just not all of it. Besides, I've known her always, so she's not quite so scary to me."

"Yeah, so tell me about that -- why do you know her?"

John replied casually, "It's not really that complicated. There aren't that many of us that had Adams for fathers. Her Majesty is about five years older than me, and looked out for me when I was growing up."

"Okay, but what's with the 'Her Majesty' thing, and also, how much looking out for did you really need? You had to be the biggest in your class by a lot."

John sat back, surprised at the personal nature of the questions. "Okay. Let's start with the second question.

"You're right, of course, that nobody really intimidated me physically, but kids are observant, and I didn't look like the others. I don't know that it was anything intentional, and I did have some friends, but I felt like an outsider growing up. Cass helped me to come to terms with that over time; sometimes it was listening, or giving advice, pretty much like a big sister."

"Cass?"

John shrugged off her interruption and kept going. "As for the first question, I've called her that for a long time. In the same way she took being an honorary big sister seriously, I did my best to annoy the hell out of her. It was always obvious she would go far, so somewhere in my early teens I said, 'Yes, Your Majesty,' and just kept doing it. Sometimes it just comes out now when I'm not thinking about it. For what it's worth, that probably means I trust you," John finished with a self-conscious grin.

Lilith was actually touched. "Thanks, John -- that means quite a lot to me, especially since we haven't really known each other for very long."

The two looked at each other, grins breaking out on their faces. John found himself staring at her pink lips, wondering if she colored them, or if that was their natural tone; against her pale skin, they were striking. Moving his gaze up to her eyes, he was drawn into their depth, the darkness reminding him of an approaching thunderhead. His smile increased, thinking that 'stormy' fit her personality well.

"What?" she asked self-consciously, her smile faltering.

John shook his head, still smiling. "Sorry, got lost there for a moment." Lilith cocked an eyebrow, but John decided to pretend he didn't notice. "So... any concerns about moving forward with your plan?"

Lilith didn't look convinced, but also decided to let it go. "Actually, no. The Council meeting couldn't have gone better for us, or for Pip. They're so focused on what this means for the program that they're going to leave him alone."

"Well," interjected John, "that's not entirely correct. The Council doesn't care, but the Executive Director does, and I think she sees Pip as a key piece of her plans."

"Fuck," Lilith exhaled.

"Yeah, not ideal."

"She'll put him in real matches?"

"Almost certainly, if I understood her right." Before Lilith could get too excited, he continued, "But I told you this would happen, or at least that it probably would. This might move up the timetable, but maybe not much else. For now, Pip will keep training with Max, and you'll have him for your purposes, as well."

Lilith sat back, crossed her arms, and partially closed her eyes, deep in thought. Eventually, she nodded, mostly to herself, "We can make this work. I don't think I ever really thought Pip would fight in the Arena, but it will give him a chance to become a real life superhero. Do you think it would be just once?"

John shook his head sadly. "Not unless he is so beat up he can't stay in the program, like Max. Given Pip's size, I don't think that's very likely. If he gets hit hard enough to do that, he's probably not going to survive."

"So what happens then? He'll fight until he dies?"

John shrugged. "That's generally the idea. Keep in mind, though, that our Adam is a little different -- he may have a really long run, and that's why Her Majesty is so keen on him."

"Well... shit," Lilith said, frustrated. "I guess we'll need to build him up quickly then. How much of his time can I have?"

John gave his characteristic shrug. "I'm leaving his training from this point on up to Max; talk with him, then talk with Pip. As long as your demands are reasonable," Lilith glared at him, "it should be fine."

"John, I'm going to make Pip the most famous person in the city. I know you're not entirely convinced, but this will be really good for him: it will give him something besides his pending death to think about. You told me earlier about feeling isolated from your peers, and I would imagine Pip feels the same. He's not a regular man, and yet he doesn't look entirely like an Adam. Think what improving his self image will do for his confidence -- he'll walk into every fight knowing that he's the best."

"Point taken, Lilith, but don't go too far. Pip needs to maintain adequate respect for his opponents, or he'll get caught off-guard."

"I thought that was Max's job," Lilith quipped.

Outmaneuvered, John gaped at her for a moment, then grinned. "So it is."

"John, tell me you'll support me in this and not just give lip service," Lilith said seriously. "Pip trusts you more than anyone, as he should, and this won't work if he's not fully on board."

John's first instinct was to immediately confirm his support, but he decided to thoroughly think through the implications. Reaching a decision, he looked back to Lilith, who might have been holding her breath. "I'll support you, but you need to give Pip some control. Talk with him about your ideas, and listen to his. If you make him a partner, he'll get behind it -- he's a sharp kid and I think he's entirely capable of seeing the bigger picture that you can paint."

Lilith nodded, "Deal."

Chapter 10

"Hello, Director Collins."

"Good morning, Pip. Excited to be here?"

"Yes, ma'am -- I've been looking forward to getting started."

Lilith looked up at him skeptically.

"John and I had a long talk after you stopped by yesterday, and I think this could be fun. I'm still not entirely convinced I'm the best choice, but you're the expert," said Pip, smiling. "I promise I'll do my best to be whatever you need."

Lilith was pleasantly surprised and nodded. "I tell you what, Pip -- you just be you and the rest will work itself out, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am. So what are we doing today?"

"Today is actually pretty straightforward. We need some publicity photos, introduction videos, and the like. I have a team through that door," she said, pointing to the entrance of the dressing suite, "that will figure out how to polish up your look and get you prepped. I'll warn you now that today is going to be a long day; I hope you're ready for it."

"I guess we'll see, ma'am," he replied.

Much later, Pip walked wearily into his room, kicking off his shoes as he passed the threshold, and fell face down onto his mattress. Just as he started to drift off, a knock at the door roused him.

Rosie entered the room, shutting the door behind her. "Hi, Pip. You look worn out." Pip's reply was lost in his pillow, seeing as how he hadn't bothered to lift his head. "Poor little Adam," cooed Rosie as she climbed onto the bed and started rubbing his back. "Was Director Collins mean to you?"

Pip rolled over, careful not to squash his lovely therapist. "I had no idea I could be this tired. She was harder on me than Max or John have ever been." Rosie gave him a mocking look, then broke into a broad smile, stealing Pip's breath. "You are so beautiful, Rosie," he said softly.

Rosie blushed, but didn't turn away. "Thanks, Honey. Do you want to tell me about your day?"

"Not really -- there was primping and prodding, wardrobe changes, posing, acting... it wasn't bad, it was just a lot, especially given that it's all new."

Rosie looked at Pip more closely. The haircut was obvious when she first walked in: his unruly curls had been trimmed short on the back and sides of his head, but left longer on top, finding a wonderful balance between clean-cut and mischievous. His skin, however, also looked different -- almost blemish free, and slightly darker than before. While her eyes wandered, memorizing details, she noticed a black line peaking out from his right shirt sleeve. Pip saw where she was staring and looked away shyly. "It was Lilith's idea. She said it would up the sex factor, whatever that means. She also thought it would appeal to the more patriotic people in the city; she's trying to make me into a symbol."

"Can I see it?" Rosie asked quietly.

Pip sat up and pulled his shirt off self-consciously, setting it aside. As the large black design came into view, Rosie gasped and put her hand to her mouth. On Pip's right pectoral was an intricately drawn spider, clearly derived from the Rieckenburg mascot, but less stylized. The arachnid was perched on its web, which covered most of his chest and wrapped around his shoulder. The webbing connected to branches at his left shoulder that continued around to his back. Rosie made a twirling motion with her finger and Pip rolled over, showing that the design wrapped all the way around. Starting at his waist and covering his entire back was a large tree with branches that extended around both sides, where the off-center web attached. Like the spider, the tree itself was left mostly unshaded; it ended abruptly at the base of Pip's neck, and looked shattered, as if struck by lightning. Despite the macabre tone, the drawing was not overly dark, allowing most of Pip's skin to be visible.