After the Second Fall Pt. 01.3

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lilith leaned back in her chair, her fingers drumming on the armrest. "Actually, for my purposes, the situation is pretty close to ideal." John was a bit surprised, but didn't say anything, so she continued. "Pip is just coming off a victory against one of our primary rivals, where he beat an accomplished opponent with multiple victories. That's point one. What's more, he did it convincingly. I didn't even have to push that information out there; the people at the party saw that he was fine and did it for me. That's point two. Next, we didn't really do much marketing pre-fight, because there was so little notice, which means people in the city won't be burned out when we really hype him up. Point four in favor is that Pip was already becoming a folk hero, and this is a chance to really cement him in people's minds: to make him the face of the program, like we discussed when we first started.

"Think about it: in less than a hundred days, the city learned about him dramatically with your bike stunt, then saw how dangerous he is when he killed three men in an exhibition game -- I mean match. Then he beats one of the Big Three with barely a scratch on him, and if he follows this up with a second victory in as many months..." Lilith paused for effect, letting John consider her arguments.

"But perhaps the biggest factor is that, as you said, the risk to Pip is low. Brock-Loren's program is just not as good as ours, and having a chance to annex the remainder of their city -- well, it just doesn't happen very often."

John sighed. "I know. Your arguments are well laid out, and I don't actually find fault in any of them. It's just..." John shook his head. "It seems too easy." Lilith raised her eyebrows questioningly.

John stood and started to pace around Lilith's office, which was actually only big enough for him to take two and a half steps before he had to turn around. "These fights are brutal in the strictest sense of the word. Every one of our Adams, or of the fighters from the other cities, they're all trained from birth -- from birth! -- to be killers. And not just that, they're genetically engineered to be as lethal as possible.

"Lilith, there isn't a man in this entire city that could touch me in a mostly-fair fight, and in the same way, I wouldn't stand a chance in the Arena, regardless of the opponent."

"So you're worried about Pip?"

"No, and that's the thing. I should be worried, but I'm not. I should be concerned that something bad is going to happen. Instead, I have full faith that Pip will walk out of the Arena, probably in even better shape than the last time. What worries me is that I'm taking this as a given: that we're missing something. Do you understand?

"What Pip did against Kobin should not have been possible. The man was skilled, ruthless, and the best fighter in the Marbelo stable. It's likely that his loss will set them back for some time, possibly several years. Did you hear that Northumberland already challenged them?"

Lilith nodded. "Two of the smaller cities as well."

"See? This is a vicious world, and yet, I couldn't be more confident in Pip."

John took a deep breath, calming himself, and sat down again. "Did you know Pip is getting even better at controlling the Effect?"

'Oh really', said Lilith's look, but she remained silent.

John nodded. "His control is strong enough now that he can slow the passage of time so that it is barely perceptible to him." Lilith didn't look as impressed as John expected. "Which means, that his ability to influence his own body is also improving."

Now Lilith's expression changed. "Is the change significant?"

John nodded. "Max has been using a standing jump as a barometer, like we did in his room. His normal jump is almost enough to clear your head. When we first started checking, he could add another three hands to that, which is already unbelievable. Now, he can jump over me. Lilith, that isn't with a running start; that is with him starting next to me, and just jumping up."

Lilith's hand came to her mouth without her consciously realizing it, while her eyes widened. "Really?"

John again nodded his affirmation. "Now picture that kind of power, agility, speed -- all of it -- in every move he makes in a fight. Lilith, there isn't a man alive that could survive a solid hit from Pip. Our only real concern is that he will break his own bones when he hits or kicks people, so we're doing everything we can to fix that. For example, if one of the other Adams takes this fight, we'll increase the intensity of the micro-fracture training we've been doing."

"The girls aren't going to like that."

John waved dismissively. "With three of them, he'll be fine. There will always be someone there to wipe his nose or scratch his back for him."

"Three?" said Lilith, surprised.

"Yeah, Rachel joined the other two, but that's not important right now.

"Lilith, did you know that Pip is still growing?"

"What? How is that possible. Adams reach full size at twelve years old, right?"

"Usually. Pip's pretty close to nineteen now, and his height is still increasing, right about two fingers per year over the last three. I just found out a few days ago when Doc did the post-fight physical. Actually, that may be why he keeps breaking his fingers: because they're still growing.

"Regardless, the key point is that Pip is probably already the most dangerous person in the world, even if not that many people know it, and he's getting measurably better on a weekly basis."

"John, that's not a bad thing for us or for him," Lilith said soothingly. "The opposite, really. Pip's a wonderful young man, beyond all the physical skills. Sometimes I forget, or almost forget, that he's an Adam. I want him to be with us for a long time, and the only ways that can happen are if he stops fighting because he gets badly hurt, or is actually killed. I don't like either option, and I'm certain you don't either." John shook his head. "I can also understand what you're saying about it seeming easy now, but remember all those thousands of hours you spent with him, teaching, training.

"John, I don't want to overstate this, but it was your insight -- your brilliance, if I'm being honest -- that put us in this position. You're the one that spotted an anomaly in that first fight he won, and you're the one that persuaded the Council to let him have a second fight. Don't forget how hard it was to get here. Of course we need to keep pushing Pip, and keep him humble as best we can, but it's time to let him show the world what he can do.

"When you described how Pip's changed, improved -- evolved? -- I got shivers down my spine and my mouth went dry, and I know him well. John, it's time to take Pip from being the most dangerous man in the world that nobody's heard of, to being the scariest man in the world -- the one that makes other cities forfeit matches and our own people line the streets to catch a glimpse. This is what we've worked for: Pip, you and I, the girls, Max." Lilith leaned forward, looking into his eyes intensely. "John, it's time to reap what we've sown."

For his part, Pip was very casual when he learned of the Council's decision. "Sure, I'll be ready. If my hand isn't quite right, I'll try to protect it some. It should be possible to use my left, or my elbows, knees, whatever. I don't anticipate a problem."

"That's what I figured," said John nodding. "The lead up to this fight is going to be a bit different. Lilith is going to do a full media blitz on the city, which means you'll be seen more around town. You'll be doing interviews, or rather, she'll be doing interviews with you there.

"Your training regimen will be primarily focused on fitness to minimize the risk of an injury. If something does happen, Rover is your backup, but that would derail Lilith's plans. Any questions?"

Pip shook his head. "No. Just tell Rachel where I'm supposed to be and she'll make sure I'm there on time."

John grinned. "So I take it she's now a permanent part of your life?"

Pip let out a long sigh. "Yeah. All three of them are, which seems crazy.

"I did what you said, and the four of us talked a lot while I was resting after the fight. I have a feeling any one of them could have their pick of guys, but they're all set on me." He shook his head. "I still don't get it, but I can't say I'm disappointed. I would be pretty shook up if one of them were to leave."

"I'm happy for you, Pip. It's a bit unconventional, but if you're happy, and they're happy, I don't really see a problem. Are they getting along with each other?"

"Sure, at least as far as I can tell. Maggie and Rosie are best friends, and I don't think that has much to do with me. I guess you could say that they're complimentary. Maggie is outgoing and bubbly, friendly with everyone. Rosie is more reserved, but has this really genuine, caring part of her. Somehow they work together. Maybe because they both have similar senses of humor."

"Oh yeah?"

Pip nodded. "Yeah, they're both kind of snarky and quick witted. They like teasing each other, and especially like giving me a hard time."

"So how does Rachel fit? She doesn't seem snarky at all."

"She isn't, but it works. When the other two team up on me, Rachel can just be herself . Then they start in on her, and she just goes with it." Pip shrugged. "So far, no drama at all."

John looked at Pip seriously. "Rachel is absolutely unique in my experience, and has proved that she can fill a role in your life -- even your fighting life -- but I'm concerned that she's not really addressing the nasty stuff in her background. Pip, I'm a bit concerned that she's going to break down and become a distraction, and that's not something you should deal with as you prep for another Arena fight.

"Do you want me to get her an appointment with one of our councilors? I know Bonnie Madison has been seeing one regularly."

Pip started to reply, then stopped, considering. "Actually, that may a good idea, but maybe not exactly like you're thinking.

"Rachel and Rosie have been spending a lot of their unscheduled time together, and I think they are becoming close, but in a different way than Rosie and Maggie. Probably something to do with shared experiences. It certainly seems like they're building real trust together, so I don't think it's a good idea to break up that dynamic.

"Do you think they could go to a councilor together? Rosie would probably benefit from having someone else to guide her as well, and this way they could still be available for each other."

John sat back, a bit surprised at the suggestion, then smiled. "It's a really good idea, Pip. Rosie is such a spitfire that I just assumed she could take care of herself."

"Actually," said Pip, "Rosie's loud, outspoken, confident personality is just her form of bravado. When she's comfortable and relaxed, that swagger goes away.

"Except when she's with Maggie," Pip continued thoughtfully. "They have this kind of competitive thing going on, and the two of them are rarely relaxed when they're together."

"Well, I'm certainly not going to try to analyze this whole situation you've got going on," responded John, "and I've already inserted myself into your business too much. So I just have one more question." John paused for dramatic effect. "You think three is going to be enough?"

"Good Lord, John. Don't even joke about that."

"No? I know a certain Mrs. Madison that might be interested if you have an opening. She was asking about you the other day when I ran into her in the hallway."

Pip shook his head vigorously. "Nope, nothing doing. Not for her or anybody else."

John laughed loudly. "Don't worry, Pip, I'm only kidding. She told me she is still adjusting, but things are going well enough. She did ask how you were doing, but it was probably only because you are our main shared interest."

Pip visibly relaxed. "Not funny."

"Yes, it was. Listen, Pip, you need to keep having conversations with your lady friends. If you're this wound up, you obviously still have some doubts. Let them help."

Pip nodded, putting his head in his hands. "You're right, of course. Who would have thought that the personal side of my life was the one that kept me up at night."

"Actually, if you're doing it right, that's exactly what's supposed to happen."

Pip sat up and gave John a dirty look, but the latter just grinned back, looking very pleased with himself.

Chapter 19

Three weeks of near constant appearances turned out to be more challenging than Pip expected. It had gotten to the point that people stopped and stared, pointed, shouted, wherever he went. It had always been this way to some extent, but in the past people had been more discreet; now they wanted to see him up close, and were often aggressive in their enthusiasm, keeping their ever present security busy. Fortunately, this was the last planned appearance before the fight, meaning Pip could actually focus on training and rest, and spending time with his girls, of course.

According to Director Collins' plan, Pip was dressed in black, as usual. Today he was wearing sleek athletic pants that showed off his physique without restricting movement. Truth be told, they were too tight in the seat, but Lilith had insisted. His shirt was tight to the chest and lacked sleeves; accessories consisted simply of black boots and dark glasses, the latter thankfully giving him some small measure of privacy.

On his left was Maggie, dressed in a flowing dress the color of the winter sky: pale gray with the slightest blue tinge. If he had been asked, which he wasn't, Pip would have said he preferred her in warmer colors because they complimented her complexion. Even so, she looked radiant, smiling broadly and waving as they stood in front of the assembly, thoroughly enjoying the attention.

Just behind him on the right was Max, who had been drafted into the role of bodyguard when John could not be at an appearance. With his size, eye patch, and multitude of scars, even the most enthusiastic fans tended to stay back.

At the front of the stage Director Collins was ready to give her speech, only waiting for the crowd to calm enough that her words could be heard.

It was a true testament to Max's awareness and reflexes that he was the first to see the shooter, who was raising a long barreled gun from within the crowd. With a shout of "Down!" he was moving forward toward Pip.

The younger man saw the motion as well and immediately clamped down on time, even before the cry left Max's mouth. Like Max, he was moving forward as the first bullet started to make it's way toward him. As he dropped his shoulder to avoid the projectile, another one was already on it's way, and Pip began to be concerned because the second was not nearly as well aimed.

More rapidly followed.

On his left, Maggie had begun to turn as events played out in front of her and on his right Director Collins was in the process of diving -- or falling -- to the stage floor. Out in the crowd, city residents were only just beginning to react as the the sound of shots registered.

By this point it was clear that the shooter had adopted a 'pray and spray' approach, as bullets now covered a significant portion of the stage. Seeing that Maggie was in the path of an oncoming round, Pip stepped into her and pushed, sending her well clear of the stage. Even with his superhuman agility, Pip could not avoid the oncoming bullet, which he felt slowly drill through the triceps on his right arm, burning terribly the entire way. Fortunately, it was the last shot fired as the crowd subdued the would-be assassin.

Now kneeling, Pip allowed time to resume its standard pace as he assessed the damage. The bullet had passed cleanly through his muscle, which likely meant little to be truly concerned about. It was bleeding freely so he clamped his huge left hand around both sides, trying to stem the flow some.

In front of him Maggie had landed in a group of onlookers. She was holding her arm close to her side, so she was probably hurt, but was at least moving around.

At the front of the stage, Director Collins was sitting still. He began to move to her, then turned to his head to the right and saw Max slumped on his side, where he had evidently collapsed. His trainer -- his friend -- did not appear to be breathing and the only movement was from blood spreading on the stage.

"Shit," Pip said dejectedly as his arms dropped to his sides. He noticed, but barely registered the medical technician rush up to him with her trauma kit. It wasn't until she started pulling on his hand that he realized the young woman was yelling at him.

"You need to sit down. I can't reach your arm."

Pip nodded absentmindedly and followed her direction. The woman knew her job and soon had the bleeding stopped, his arm bandaged tightly, and the blood cleaned off. Throughout the process, Pip's eyes remained on Max, who was being examined by other medics. As Pip had known, there was nothing to be done. His own helper soon moved off to tend to others, her current task completed.

After some time -- Pip couldn't have said how much -- Director Collins stepped into Pip's vision, not wanting to startle him from behind. Rather than saying anything, she sat down next to him, managing to do so gracefully even in her tight skirt. The two watched as six large men from the crowd were recruited to move Max. After nearly dropping him, two more bystanders were hastily pulled in to help, and the morbid procession moved on.

"I'm sorry, Pip," said Lilith at last.

After another stretch of time, Pip finally spoke. "He must have been trying to get to me. He should have known better."

Lilith reached up to put her hand on his arm. "He was doing his job, Pip, and he did it well. He might not have helped you, but when he yelled I immediately ducked. If I hadn't, I'm certain I would have been shot, too."

Pip slowly nodded. "I'm glad you're okay, Director Collins. Do you know how Maggie is? I think I hurt her when I pushed her out of the way."

"She'll recover, Pip, which is all we could have reasonably asked for given the circumstances." Pip turned to look at her, not letting her get away with such a vague response. Lilith sighed. "Her right arm is broken -- I think they called it the humerus. Whatever the upper arm is. It's not a compound fracture, though, so that's positive. When she landed she broke the collar bone on her left side, and also knocked heads with somebody. The medic's initial opinion was that both of them have moderate concussions."

Pip nodded sadly. "I thought I felt her arm give." He took a deep breath. "I hope she isn't too mad at me."

"Pip, look at me." Pip sighed and looked at the director again, who was already staring at him intensely. "You saved her life, and that's not an overstatement. I looked at the footage from the camera I had stationed behind the stage, and the bullet that hit your arm would have hit her in the chest. No doubt." Pip nodded, having already known this. "She will in pain, and angry, but it won't be at you. Do you understand?"

"Yes, ma'am," Pip replied, looking forward again. "How many people were hurt?"

Lilith sighed. "Four killed, including Max. One of the organizer's people and one of mine here on stage."

"I'm sorry, Director Collins."

"Me, too, Pip. We weren't that close, but I knew Jane for more than ten years. I'll have to go talk with her husband when we get back."

"If you think it will help, I can come along."

"Thank you, Pip, but I think Maggie will need you more."

Pip nodded his acquiescence. "What about the fourth?"

"Well," said Lilith, "it was a man out in the crowd. He was one of the first to grab the shooter, and the man stabbed him in the scuffle."

"I take it the shooter was a professional then?"