Against All Odds

Story Info
Shrouded by secrets, united by Love. The story begins.
7.3k words
4.59
4.4k
8

Part 1 of the 9 part series

Updated 04/23/2024
Created 03/04/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Chancem77
Chancem77
206 Followers

Chapter One

Riley didn't know what to expect when the car had pulled up outside the rundown little motel that he'd been staying at for the past week but he certainly hadn't expected anything close to what he was looking at now. The car, he didn't know what kind it was, was black and expensive looking. Honestly, he'd never seen anything like it before. Other than in movies. It was sleek and impressively comfortable. The driver had gotten out and opened the door for him, which should have been his first clue. Noah, the guy he was going to meet, had money.

He knew Noah was well off, he could tell that just by their video chats. The room he was always in looked bigger than the house Riley had grown up in and the furniture that he could see looked elegant and antique. He figured that Noah lived in a large house. That was obvious. A large estate probably but what Riley saw coming into view as the car turned onto an impossibly long drive lined with ornamental trees was not a house. He didn't even think it qualified as a mansion. The massive structure looming before him was a palace.

Riley leaned across the back seat closer to the driver. "Is this the right place?" He asked.

"I'm sorry?" The driver responded.

"This can't be a house." Riley told him. "Is it a hotel or something?"

The driver chuckled. "No, Sir. This is Reaney Hall."

Riley sat back and let out a deep breath. Reaney Hall. Noah Reaney. It made sense but he was still shocked by the sheer size of the place. From what Noah had told Riley, he lived alone with his mother. Riley couldn't believe that only two people resided in such a huge manor house as this. Of course, he suspected that there must have been a plethora of servants who also lived on the grounds but it still seemed odd that Noah and his mother would choose to occupy such a grand estate. This house could easily have housed half the town, Riley was sure of it. Why would something so grand be kept so empty, and so isolated?

Noah was an eccentric. Riley knew that already. Noah was twenty-five years old and had been a shut in since early childhood. He hadn't gone into many details about what happened but from what he's told Riley, Riley suspected that it had something to do with Noah's father's death when Noah was only eight years old. For the past three months the two had been corresponding via the internet. First meeting in a chat room and then private messaging each other. Eventually they traded cell numbers and in the last month had started video chatting.

In that time Riley had divulged pretty much his entire life story to his new friend but Noah in return shared very little about his own life. Riley knew that Noah lived with his mother, Lilian, and that his father, Stephen, had been killed years ago. Both Lilian and her husband were alphas, as was Noah, and Noah had a younger brother, a beta, named Charlie. Charlie left for university when he was eighteen but dropped out after one year, had gotten married and currently had one child. Noah and his mother rarely saw Charlie or his family. They lived in another state and since leaving college, Charlie and his mother had not been on good terms.

From what Riley could tell, Lilian was a very controlling woman who liked having things go her way. Noah never talked about his mother in a warm and caring way, in fact, he rarely spoke of her at all and acted as though the mention of the woman made him uncomfortable. Riley couldn't begin to imagine what it must be like, living with a mother who was so cold and devoid of emotion as Lilian appeared to be. He wondered if it was the death of her husband that made her so or if she had always been that way. For Riley it made no sense. He would have given anything to see his family again. He barely had any memories of them. He'd been so young when they had passed away.

Riley had barely been five years old. His parents had left him with a family friend to attend a Christmas party but never came back. They said it had been a car accident. The roads were icy and his alpha father had swerved to avoid a collision with a drunk driver. The car careened out of control and flipped upside down in the river. Both his alpha father and his omega father had lost their lives that night. Since Riley had no other family he was placed in foster care, going through many different homes before he aged out at eighteen. There had never been any chance for him really. Each foster family that had taken him in was quick to transfer him after only a month or so.

There were no prospective adoptions in his future either. No one wanted an orphaned, male, omega. Omega's were thought to be trouble. Their heats made them unpredictable and they weren't as strong or as assertive as alphas. Even betas were preferable over omegas. In Riley's society, an omega was only good for two things, service and child bearing. He survived his time in foster care by keeping his head down, his mouth shut, and his legs closed. Omegas had it hard enough as it was without being labeled a whore. Becoming a single teen parent would have diminished his chances of ever finding a suitable mate.

After aging out of the system, Riley was basically left on his own. He had no where to live, no money and no way of making any. No one wanted to hire him. At least no one that paid a decent wage. The most he was able to get were cleaning jobs that paid shit and had no benefits. It didn't surprise him really. Not many omegas worked outside the home. Parents with omega children would have marriages arranged before their child's first heat. By the time the omega child had graduated high school, they were well on their way to becoming someone's mate and then soon after, raising their own children. That was the way society worked. Omegas were property. They belonged to their fathers and then to their mates.

An omega on their own was looked down on and greatly discouraged. When Riley left foster care it was highly encouraged that he submit himself to the local mating house. That wasn't for Riley though. He knew that already. Sure he would have a roof over his head, a bed in a dormitory style room, and three meals a day but for him, the price was too high. Omegas in a mating house were paraded around in front of alphas looking for a submissive mate to cook, clean, and bear their children. The omega was chosen by his or her new mate and expected to be compliant with whatever was demanded of them.

There was no love, no courting period, and the omega never had a choice in the matter. Riley couldn't imagine being forced to spend his life with someone he didn't know and hadn't chosen for himself. Someone that saw him as an object rather than a person. That was the reason he started hanging out in chat rooms. If he were going to give himself over to another person, it was going to be on his terms, his choice, and he wasn't going to settle for the first alpha to show an interest in him.

Riley had spoken to several different men before meeting Noah but none of the others were what Riley had been looking for. Most just wanted a quick hook-up with no strings attached. It wasn't as if he expected to find true love or anything but he certainly wanted more than a one night stand. Honestly, Riley wasn't entirely sure what he expected. What he wanted more than anything was a family, a real home and a stable future. Unfortunately, what you wanted and what you got were two different things. At this point, Riley would settle for a roof over his head and some real food.

The motel had been a welcomed change from the streets but it wasn't a home and the rent was way too high. He'd been lucky enough to get by cleaning rooms for a reduced price and a bit of spending cash but it still wasn't enough. He'd spent the last week eating tuna fish and peanut butter sandwiches, if he even ate at all. Most omegas in his situation would have turned to prostitution by now but there was no way in hell that Riley was going to do that. If he were going to give up the most precious thing he had left, it was going to be for more than a weeks worth of rent and some groceries.

Besides that, he couldn't even fathom the idea of spending countless nights on his back beneath some sweaty, greasy, unkempt slob looking for a cheap fuck. Riley was no ones bitch. Never had been and never would be. Omega or not, he had more respect for himself than that. The question now was, if this thing with Noah Reaney worked out, what was Riley willing to do to earn his place in Noah's life and, for that matter, what exactly did Noah want from him? Companionship? Intimacy? Riley wasn't really sure but one thing he did know was that nothing came without a price. It was just a matter of what Riley was willing pay. Looking up at the house now towering over him, he was suddenly feeling very generous.

***

The car pulled up to the front of the house and the driver walked around to open the door. Riley slid across the seat and out the door, pulling his backpack along with him that he quickly slung over his shoulder. Everything he owned was in that bag and since he'd already checked out of the motel he'd brought the bag with him. He wasn't sure if this venture of his was going to pan out but if he were turned away then at least he had his belongings with him.

The driver ushered Riley towards the large double doors of the mansion and before Riley could even ring the bell, the door swung open and a middle aged beta stood there looking Riley up and down. The man frowned slightly but still stepped aside to allow Riley to enter.

"Mr. Hicks?" The man asked, eyeing Riley carefully.

Riley nodded. "Yeah..uh..I'm Riley Hicks."

"Well, come in." The man said, curtly.

Riley thanked the man then hesitantly stepped through the wide doors and into the foyer. He spared one quick glance behind him to see the car quickly pulling away from the house. Riley took in a deep breath to steady his nerves. If he had any second thoughts about going through with this, it was too late to back out now.

"So, are you like the butler or something?" Riley asked, looking the man over.

"I am Thomas Barns, the head of house and estate manager." He answered, closing the doors.

"So, the butler." Riley shoved his hands into his pants pockets and looked up at Thomas.

"Indeed, Sir." Riley didn't miss the way Thomas narrowed his eyes and the obvious sound of disdain in his voice.

'Great first impression.' Riley thought. 'Haven't been here five minutes and already the guy hates me.'

"You don't look like a butler." Riley remarked, giving Thomas a once over.

"And what is a butler supposed to look like?" Thomas asked, raising an eyebrow.

Riley shrugged. "Aren't you supposed to like, wear a tux or something?" He asked. "In movies, butlers always wear suits or tuxedos, not khakis and a cardigan."

"My employer doesn't much care what I wear." Thomas told him. "So long as I keep the house running smoothy."

"That's cool." Riley forced a wry smile. He was trying to be as friendly as possible but the guy wasn't making it easy for him. In fact, Riley felt down right unwelcome in the house. Thomas wasn't making any attempt to hide the fact that he wasn't pleased with Riley's presence there. "It's cool to have an employer that's so laid back." He clarified. "Makes the job easier."

Thomas gave Riley one last cursory glance then turned and began walking further into the house. "This way." He called back over his shoulder. "Mr. Reaney is waiting for you upstairs."

Riley silently followed Thomas through the main part of the house to a winding staircase leading to the upper levels. Riley had thought the outside of the mansion was impressive but inside well, the only word that immediately came to mind was magnificent. The interior was dark with shimmering hues of browns, blacks, and dark reds. The polished floor glistened beneath his feet looking almost as if speckled with water. Large, imposing paintings covered the walls. Some were portraits, probably ancestors, others were scenic depictions of vast, rolling fields, over grown with wild flowers, children at play, or people on horse back.

The windows were covered by heavy drapes, blocking out most of the natural light leaving the space lit by the glow of ceiling lights that did little to chase away the shadows that seemed to lurk within the house. As Thomas and Riley came to the staircase, Riley could see that it was a strong, sturdy, mahogany structure with hand carved and very intricate designs reaching up the two posts that marked the start of the steps. Taking it all in, Riley thought of a dark and imposing gothic mansion that he'd often read about in the horror novels he loved so much. What he had seen of the house so far was beautiful if not a little saddening. The death of Stephen Reaney must have really taken a toll on the family.

Riley thought to ask about Stephen's death but then stopped himself. It really wasn't his business and with Thomas already not liking Riley, Riley decided it was best not to stoke that fire. Instead, he continued to follow the man up the stairs that seemed to climb higher and higher with no end. When Riley thought they had finally come to the top he was dismayed to discover that they had only reached a landing that lead to yet another row of steps going further up and into the darkness that lay beyond. It wasn't long though before they had finally reached the top. Out of breath, Riley made a mental note to himself to work out more. Clearly he was out of shape.

'Don't huge houses like this have elevators?' He questioned to himself. He couldn't imagine that everyone in the house climbed those steps every single day, several times a day. It was absurd. Without a word, Thomas led Riley down the hall at the top of the stairs and Riley obediently followed. The upper level was as dark and gothic as the lower level but much more sparse when it came to furnishings. Down stairs Riley had seen tables with flower vases sat on them, potted plants, chairs, and other furnishing that made the house look lived in. Upstairs though, it was just an empty hall lined with doors that Riley assumed lead to bedrooms. He'd given up counting them after the tenth door as there were just too many.

He supposed some of the doors, the smaller ones at least, could have been closets, or even bathrooms. Maybe offices. He really didn't know. He didn't have a lot of experience with large mansions such as this. Honestly, he had no experience with them at all. This was the first time he'd ever been inside one. He'd never even been inside of a fancy hotel. It was all new to him. One thing that did surprise him though was how long the hallway was. The house was huge. There was no denying that but this particular hallway seemed to go on forever. Maybe it was just his nerves though. Maybe the hall seemed longer because he knew what awaited him at the other end of it. Noah Reaney himself.

Riley had anticipated the moment he would meet Noah in person. Had even dreamed about it but now that he was actually there, in the man's home, he began to have doubts. They had video chatted for a month, but seeing someone on a screen was a far cry from seeing them in person.What if Noah was disappointment? What if Noah turned Riley away? The worst thought that plagued Riley's mind though was what if Noah had been gaslighting him this entire time.

What if he wasn't the kind, thoughtful, and respectful man that he appeared to be online? People lied about themselves on the internet all the time and made themselves out to be better than what they actually were, all in an attempt to lure some unsuspecting and naive young omega into their confidence. What if Noah Reaney turned out to be some psycho predator? This encounter could turn dangerous very quickly, maybe even deadly. Riley tried to push those thoughts out of his head and instead chose to trust his instincts. He was seldom wrong about people and his instincts told him that he could trust Noah. After all, Riley had put in a lot of time and effort getting to know the man.

Thomas had come to a stop in front of a large set of double doors at the end of the long hall. The doors weren't anything overly fancy. Off white, rectangular doors with silver handles. A fairly simple design but still impressive in their own right. Nothing like the cheap and flimsy doors of the motel that could have been easily kicked in and broken. These doors were sturdy, strong, and immaculately clean. Honestly there wasn't a mark or imperfection on them. No aging either. They looked practically new.

It was a bit odd compared to the aged and antique look of the rest of the house, to have something that looked so modern stuck in the middle of it all but then, Riley suspected that maybe Noah wanted his personal rooms to look more modern. He was still a young man after all and probably had more modern tastes. It didn't matter really. Riley had more important things to worry about than the decor. He was standing there, outside Noah's door, about to make a decision that could potentially change the course of the rest of his life. Riley could feel his heart beating in his chest. His hands shook and for a moment, he considered turning and running back down the hall and out the front doors.

He stopped himself though and held his breath as Thomas reached a hand out and knocked on the doors. A moment later, he pushed one of the doors open and peaked his head inside. "Noah?" Thomas called out to him, his tone steady and professional. "Your guest, Mr. Hicks, has arrived."

"Show him in." Noah's familiar voice called out from inside the room.

Thomas held the door open for Riley and Riley sucked in a ragged breath. It was now or never.

***

Thomas gestured toward the open door. Riley swallowed nervously, his heart pounding in his chest. He smoothed out his long auburn hair and took a deep breath, trying to calm his racing thoughts. With a slight nod of gratitude to Thomas, he stepped carefully into the room.

The room beyond was lavish with rich tapestries, dark mahogany furniture, and a king-sized bed with intricately covered posts. At the center of it all, Noah Reaney, the master of Reaney Hall, stood by a large window, gazing out into the waning light of early evening.

"Thank you, Thomas." Noah said without turning around, his voice deep and commanding.

Thomas nodded then wordlessly exited the room, leaving Riley standing just inside the door way. The door closed behind him with a soft click, and Riley found himself alone with Noah.

Noah turned to face Riley, his piercing blue eyes meeting Riley's with an intensity that made Riley's breath catch in his throat. Noah's chiseled jawline and confident demeanor accentuated his alpha presence.

"Riley." Noah said, a warm smile playing across his lips. "It's good to finally meet you in person."

Riley managed a shy smile in return, his cheeks tinged with a soft blush that Noah found absolutely adorable. "Yeah, it's...um, it's great to finally meet you too, Noah." The words caught in his throat briefly and Riley had to suck in a deep breath. Noah had appeared handsome on video but now, seeing him in person, he was absolutely gorgeous. From his blue eyes and sandy blond hair to the straight nose and his broad chest. The man was absolute perfection.

He stood about 6'2, a stark contrast to Riley's 5'9, and he was built like a line backer. Alpha just rolled off him in waves, without him even doing anything, he seemed to just leak pure masculinity. Riley suddenly found himself weak in the knees as he looked up at this total Adonis of a man. Truly, he was a sight to behold and Riley began to wonder if he were even worthy of such a man.

Noah seemed to have no objections though by the way he looked over Riley, devouring the smaller man with his eyes. He stepped closer, closing the distance between them. "I've been looking forward to this," He admitted, his eyes never leaving Riley's, "for a long time."

Chancem77
Chancem77
206 Followers