Against All Odds Ch. 04

Story Info
Riley meets Noah's mother.
6.8k words
4.7
1.3k
2

Part 4 of the 9 part series

Updated 04/23/2024
Created 03/04/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Chancem77
Chancem77
206 Followers

Riley woke up slowly, the morning light filtering through the curtains and casting a warm glow across Noah's bedroom. Blinking the sleep away, Riley stretched his limbs and yawned. The feel of his sleep pants and the soft T-shirt he wore brought back the memory of the previous night. Riley had thought they were going to Noah's home theater to watch the movie but he was wrong. Noah opened what Riley had assumed was a large wardrobe only to discover that it was actually Noah's home entertainment center, complete with a 75 inch flat screen television.

Riley stared at the thing in awe. It was twice the size of the ancient dinosaurs the motel had and nicer than any TV that Riley had ever seen in his life. Noah had it set up to stream movies so Riley could choose pretty much anything he wanted. He searched through many titles before settling on the sappiest romcom he could find.

Riley had changed into his sleep wear for added comfort and then he and Noah snuggled up on Noah's couch and ate popcorn while watching the movie. There were a lot of funny moments that Noah seemed to enjoy and a few tearjerkers that had Riley sniffling into a handkerchief. By the time the credits began to roll, Riley had fallen asleep with his head on Noah's shoulder. It was the perfect end to an even more perfect day.

Riley didn't remember getting off the couch so he assumed that Noah had been the one to put him to bed. He expected to see Noah sleeping on the bed next to him but when he looked around, Noah was no where to be found. His curiosity piqued, Riley padded over to the sitting area where he noticed the neatly arranged sofa with a blanket and a pillow. So, Noah had apparently slept the night on the couch. Confusion settled on Riley's face as he wondered why Noah hadn't joined him in the bed.

Riley wasn't ready for anything physical yet but a little late night cuddling would have been nice.

With a slight frown, Riley made his way over to his duffel bag near the door. He stooped down and began to rummage through it, looking for his toothbrush, when he noticed that the bedroom door was slightly ajar. Voices drifted in from the hall and one of the voices Riley recognized as being Noah's. Noah was arguing with a woman whom Riley assumed to be Noah's mother, Lilian. Riley paused, listening intently though he knew he shouldn't however, curiosity had gotten the better of him.

"He's just some bum, a nobody looking for a handout." Came the sharp voice of Noah's mother.

Riley's heart sank hearing the words that were so obviously about him. "He's just using you, Noah! You can't seriously be considering letting him stay here. He'll be nothing but a burden. Mark my words, people like him take and take until there's nothing left. He'll break you and then he'll be gone, moving on to the next fool stupid enough to believe his lies."

"I am letting him stay here. For as long as he he needs. And, he's not using me. He isn't like that, Riley is a good person." Noah tried to defend Riley but his mother wasn't backing down. "Look, he's been through a lot, just like me. He lost his parents, he's alone in the world and, well, I feel like we have a real connection. Besides, he makes me happy."

Lilian huffed and while Riley couldn't see her face he could almost hear her eyes roll. "Did you sleep with him?" She questioned Noah, the bite in her words painfully clear.

Riley held his breath as he waited to hear Noah's response. Of course, Riley already knew the answer but he wanted to hear how Noah would handle his mother's invasive question.

"Not that it's any of your business, but no, we did not sleep together." Noah told her, a hint of frustration in his voice.

Riley couldn't bear to hear more. He retreated to the bathroom and closed the door behind him. Riley's stomach twisted with guilt as Lilian's words echoed in his mind. He hadn't meant to eavesdrop but now he couldn't get the conversation he'd heard out of his mind. Feeling dejected, he stared into the mirror, his troubled reflection staring back at him. He had to wonder, was Lilian right? Would Riley just end up becoming a burden to Noah?

That wasn't what Riley wanted. He never planned to use Noah for his money and he wasn't looking for a handout but Lilian was right about one thing, Riley was a no body. He had absolutely nothing to bring to this relationship, he didn't even know what Noah actually saw in him.

"What are you doing here?" Riley asked his reflection though it could give him no advice. He sighed. "You don't belong here. Noah deserves better."

Riley hung his head, no longer able to look himself in the eye. What was he supposed to do now? He cared about Noah, a lot, but there was just no way that this was going to work. They were just too different. They came from different worlds, different backgrounds, and Riley was an omega. There was no way that Noah's family would ever accept Riley. It just wasn't possible.

Riley was startled out of his thoughts by a knock at the door. He turned to see Noah's concerned face looking at him through a crack in the door.

"Riley?" Noah asked softly. "Are you okay? Do you need anything?"

Riley hesitated before speaking, his voice quiet. "I'm good." He said, forcing a smile. "Is it okay if I use your shower?"

Noah's brow furrowed in confusion but he nodded. "Of course, take your time. There are clean towels and wash cloths in the cupboard by the sink."

Riley thanked him then slowly pushed the door the rest of the way closed so he could undress. Walking to the shower, Riley was amazed at what he saw. Sleek, frosted glass walls towered above him. The floor of the shower was made of white marble and was heated to a comfortable temperature. The shower itself was a masterpiece of modern design. A rainfall shower head, plated in gleaming chrome, extended from the ceiling. Surrounding the shower space were multiple body jets embedded in the walls.

Riley had never seen body jets in a shower before but he could just imagine what it felt like, standing under the shower head while the jets massaged his body from different angles. He was a bit put off at first by the controls. The touch-sensitive panels and polished metal looked more like a console in a spaceship than a shower. Riley hesitated for a moment, then tentatively began adjusting the water to the perfect temperature. He decided that if this was going to be his one and only chance to use a shower like this then he might as well indulge himself.

As the water began to flow, Riley couldn't help but think of all the times Noah must have stood, naked, inside this marvel of a shower. Riley could even detect the faintest scent of the expensive shower gel that still lingered in the air. Had Noah showered earlier, while Riley was asleep? He wondered. An image of Noah standing in the shower suddenly popped into Riley's mind and he smiled. He suddenly found himself wondering what it would be like to shower with the man, to have their naked bodies pressed against each other in an intimate embrace beneath a cascade of water that mimicked the soothing patter of rain.

Riley stepped under the waterfall-like stream. He could feel himself relax under the droplets of water falling from above. The spacious shower was large enough for two and again he pictured Noah, standing before him in all his glory. Riley closed his eyes and tilted his head back, running his fingers through his hair, imagining it was Noah's hands gripping his hair. He imagined Noah's hands sliding down his body, caressing him, pulling him close as they shared a passionate kiss. Riley let out a soft moan, feeling himself become hard, poised, and ready for something he would never have.

Looking down, Riley sighed, frustrated with himself. He knew it was extremely rude to jerk off in someone else's shower but what choice did he have? It wasn't like he could go back out into the other room sporting a raging hard-on. Riley took himself in hand and began slowly stroking his erect organ. Thoughts of Noah once again filled his mind and he realized suddenly that Noah had probably pleasured himself, more than once, in the very shower that Riley now stood in.

Dirty thoughts of Noah, his cock in his hand, working it frantically, raced through Riley's mind, bringing a smile to his face. He couldn't help his lustful thoughts, Noah was just so gorgeous. There were so many things that Riley could imagine doing to Noah if he'd had the chance. Things he'd only read in books but was willing to experiment with, but only if it was with Noah. No other man ever invoke such strong feelings of desire in him as Noah Reaney had and likely never would. With a pang of regret, Riley realized that his fantasies would remain just that, fantasy. He and Noah were just not meant to be.

As the warm water flowed over his shoulders and down his back, Riley couldn't dismiss the conflicting emotions he felt. His mind replayed the events of the previous day--the romantic pizza dinner, and the connection he felt toward Noah--but then Lilian's words came back to him and once more that familiar feeling of doubt crept in, gnawing at him,whispering that he didn't belong here. Riley turned the water off and stepped out of the shower and onto the thick, fluffy, rug outside. As he grabbed a towel and began to dry himself, a sobering thought entered his mind. "Will I ever belong anywhere?"

***

Riley dressed quickly, brushed his teeth and hair then exited the bathroom, stepping into the sitting room where he found Noah, waiting for him on the couch. Noah was sitting with one arm stretched across the back of the couch and the other resting on the cushioned arm of the couch. One leg he had propped up on his other knee and his head was tilted back against the soft cushions behind him. His eyes were closed and at first it looked like he was sleeping however, his eyes popped open and his head lifted the moment he heard Riley exit the bathroom.

"I'll be out of your hair in just a minute." Riley said, going to his duffel bag to put away his belongings. He paused for a moment, not looking at Noah, and said, "I'll need a ride back to town though, if that's alright. Or at least to the bus stop."

Noah sat forward, watching Riley fiddle with the bag. The look of shock and distress on Noah's face had gone unnoticed by Riley who still refused to look at the man. "You...you want to leave?" Noah asked, his voice full of concern.

Riley sighed, then turned, braving a look at Noah. Uncertainty clouded his pretty features. "I think it would be for the best." He said.

Noah was on his feet in an instant. He crossed the room to stand in front of Riley and the two of them locked eyes. "What's going on, Riley?" Noah asked, his voice tinged with urgency. "I thought everything was going so well, why do you suddenly want to leave?"

Riley found it difficult to meet Noah's gaze but he forced himself not to turn away. The gravity of his decision weighed heavily on his heart. Of course he didn't want to leave. He'd stay with Noah forever if he could. He just didn't want to cause Noah any more trouble than he already had.

"Noah, it's not easy for me to say this because I do really like you, I just don't think this is going to work out between us and I don't want to end up becoming a burden to you, or causing you any trouble."

Noah's eyes softened with understanding. He reached out and took Riley's hand. "You heard what my mother said, didn't you?"

Riley nodded and Noah cursed Lilian under his breath. "I understand her concerns." Riley said. "And, she's right. I am a no body. I don't belong here, you and I both know that."

"No, I don't know that." Noah told him, his voice a bit more stern. "What I do know is that we had fun yesterday. We enjoyed each other's company and we seemed to to be heading in the right direction before my mother opened her big mouth and ruined everything. For me, nothing has changed and I don't give a damn what my mother thinks, I want you here. Her opinion doesn't matter."

"But it does matter." Riley told him. "Her opinion matters because she's your mother, she loves you and only want what's best for you. It's what any mother wants for their children. How can you and I form any kind of meaningful relationship if your mom never accepts me. I don't want to be the reason that your relationship with your mother is strained."

"Riley," Noah sighed heavily then led Riley over to the couch where they both sat down. "My relationship with my mother was strained long before I ever met you. Ever since my father's..." Noah paused, taking a deep breath to calm his nerves before continuing. "Ever since my father's death, my mother has been cold and shut off, even with me. I think it's her way of coping with what happened. She's built a wall around herself so thick that no one can penetrate it and she lets absolutely no one in. That's how she protects herself and, in her own way, tries to protect me."

"If she's so closed off then there's really no chance that she'll ever accept me. Evan as just your friend. She'll never trust me or see me as anything but a gold digger." Riley diverted his eyes to the carpet so Noah wouldn't see the years that were beginning to form in his eyes. Riley couldn't help it. He'd been so happy the night before but now he felt that happiness being ripped away and it was breaking his heart.

Noah ran a hand through his hair as he watched Riley who was on the verge of breaking down. He placed a comforting hand on Riley's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I don't know if my mother will ever accept you or not. I don't know that she would accept anyone. She's suspicious of everyone, especially new people and given what she's been through, it's understandable. But, I'm not going to let her fears dictate my life. If I did, I'd be alone forever, and that's not what I want."

"I don't want to be alone either but I just feel like we're setting each other up for heartache." Riley wiped at his eyes but still couldn't bring himself to look at Noah and see the hurt in the alpha's eyes.

"Riley, we can't control what others think or feel. There will always be someone, somewhere that doesn't approve, or won't accept one thing or another. That's just how the world is. The important thing is to not allow fear and doubt to control us. I believe in us. I believe in what we have and what we could have later on, and I want to take a chance on us, if you're willing to as well. Let's prove my mother wrong and, maybe, she might come around. If she doesn't that's on her because I refuse to allow her fears to ruin what we've built together so far."

"You really think we can do that?" Riley asked through his tears. "Prove her wrong I mean?"

Noah smiled. "I do. Like I said, I believe in us."

Riley still looked skeptical. He wanted so badly to believe, as Noah did, that they could make it work but there was still the nagging doubt the back of his mind that refused to leave him in peace.

"How about this?" Noah said, putting an arm around Riley's shoulder and pulling him him in, closer. Riley melted against Noah's touch, loving the feel of the man's arm around him, holding him close. "Join me for breakfast. You'll get to meet my mother in person and you'll see that she's not so intimidating. Afterward, if you still want to leave, I'll have Boyd drive you anywhere you want to go."

Riley considered it for a moment then agreed. "Just breakfast." He said, giving Noah a stern look.

Noah grinned. "Just breakfast. Don't worry, I never lock away sexy young men in my tower before noon."

Riley blinked, a teasing smirk playing across his lips. "You think I'm sexy?" He asked.

Noah shook his head and chuckled. "Why do you think I slept on the couch last night?"

***

As Noah and Riley entered the family dinning room, Riley was struck by the grandeur of the room. It reminded him of a fancy restaurant that caters to members only. He couldn't believe how sparkling and clean everything was. It definitely did not have the same lived in look that nearly all of his foster homes had. With so many children running around, the homes he'd stayed in were always a mess. Toys cluttered the hallways, tables and countertops were always sticky, and there was always a sink full of dirty dishes. As soon as one mess was cleaned up another would miraculously appear. It was a never ending job. Riley knew this because most of the time he was the one cleaning up after everyone.

This room though was pristine. Among the antique furniture and mahogany walls, not a single thing was out of the place. The table was set with absolute precision. The floors polished to a blinding shimmer, and all around was the scent of fresh flowers. Even the table cloth was a perfect, stark, white with embroidered roses along the edges. A chandelier even hung from the ceiling above the table, casting a warm, ambient, glow over the room.

Lilian, Noah's mother, sat at the head of the table, an epitome of elegance in her early forties. Her dark hair, flawlessly styled, framed a face that seemed to have defied the passage of time. She was dressed in a tailored, navy blue dress, accentuated by a pearl necklace and matching earrings that gave off a kind of old world charm. Looking at Lilian now, Riley suddenly felt very under dressed in his old and faded blue-jeans and worn out, pale blue, T-shirt. Even his shoes were old and scuffed.

"Mother, this is Riley." Noah introduced with a hesitant smile. "Riley, this is my mother, Lilian, Elizabeth Reaney."

Lilian looked up, appraising Riley carefully, her gaze piercing and cold. She scrunched up her face in disapproval as she stared down her nose at the young man before her. Riley offered his hand which Lilian reluctantly accepted though her shake was weak and lacked enthusiasm. "Riley." She uttered, her tone devoid of warmth. "I've heard so much about you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Reaney." Riley said, giving her the warmest smile that he could manage.

"Oh, I'm sure." Lilian said, dropping Riley's hand as if merely touching it caused her pain. Her eyes, ever critical moved over him, taking in every detail. Finally she turned her gaze away and began to neatly unfold her napkin, placing it gently in her lap. "Sit, both of you." She ordered. "Tina will be serving breakfast shortly."

Noah pulled out a chair for Riley which Riley graciously accepted. The gesture itself caused Lilian to huff and shake her head. Noah ignored his mother and took the seat next to Riley. Riley found it a bit odd that Noah, being the master of the house and his father's heir, would not be at the head of the table. It seemed that place of honor should be reserved for him, not his mother. Riley decided not to dwell on the seating arrangements too much though, every family had their own rules and traditions and it wasn't Riley's place to question them.

As soon as they were seated, Tina, the maid, glided into the room with a silver tray of fresh orange juice and three steaming cups of coffee that she placed in front of Noah, Lilian, and Riley. Baxter, the cook, followed with a platter of eggs Benedict, crisp bacon, sausage links, English muffins, a tray of assorted fruits, and yogurt. Riley's eyes became as round as saucers when he saw all the food. It was more than he'd eaten in a week.

"Thank you Tina and Baxter." Lilian acknowledged her staff though her voice retained an air of detached politeness.

"Will there be anything else, ma'am?" Tina asked.

"No." Lilian said sternly, "You are dismissed."

Tina gave the woman a quick curtsy then hurried out of the room. Once they were alone again, Lilian turned her attention back to Riley.

"So, Riley. I must say. I was rather shocked to learn of your arrival yesterday. My son apparently forgot to inform me that he'd invited someone to our home."

"I didn't forget." Noah said as he cut into his egg. "I just didn't think it was necessary."

Chancem77
Chancem77
206 Followers
12