Against the Odds Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At the partnership proposal meeting Molly presented the figures which including the forty-three buildings being integrated into company assets but with everything being presented at current book value.

"Book value," Molly emphasized looking at Troy. "I wanted market value but was instructed to cut back to book value."

Ellis said she was acting as guarantor to Molly and her husband for bank credit up to seven million dollars. She had also arranged to restructure her company, making herself chairman and director of legal services, Molly as director of administration and Troy as director of property holdings and management. The three of them would form a board with two outside directors she would appoint from the end of the month – a financial consultant and a business development specialist. "I want this company to grow lean and mean while still providing client interfacing second to none," she said.

"Me a director?" Molly asked,

"Why not – I'm taking the long-term view with you two."

"Thank you for your confidence in me," Troy said.

"And me – sorry to sound ungrateful."

"No I don't regard genuine surprise as being ungrateful," Ellis smiled. "Molly, you were the first person I hired and you have enthusiastically upgraded academically to keep ahead of the expanding roles I have given you and you know I have always commending you for that."

"Welcome aboard board," Ellis giggled. "Troy – you've seen the figures. Are you interested in buying in for cash on these figures?"

"Yes."

"Have you done the math?"

"Yes, but first Ellis have you considered the advantages of converting your company into a public company?"

"Yes and it was very honest of you bringing that up at this point. However, I or at least the new board is two years' away from making that decision. We first need to have the properties fully integrated into the company and showing at least one year's cash flow before going public. Even then I propose only forty-nine percent of shares being released on the market."

"That's good thinking – it's certainly not something to be rushed," Troy said. "I have returned from South Africa with a good nest-egg and with the facility my bank had offered me I can comfortably finance a fifteen percent stake."

"Fine, that's great partner. Molly, please have Grant Newby prepare the papers to action this transaction including statutory approvals. I want Troy installed as my partner before the first meeting of the board."

"Right up to the bar folk. I'm taking you out to dinner Troy if you're available and then home with me if you are available for that," Ellis said, turning and looking at Molly.

"That's fine with me, I approve," Molly smiled, holding out her hands as if declaring 'Look, no hatchet'. "In fact I thoroughly approve and am happy for you both."

* * *

Showering in preparation to meeting Troy at the restaurant, Ellis thought she had now acquired a future as well as being in the process of reclaiming something of a past. Sunday's dedication of the memorial by Pastor Vickers would be something honored by most of the Elliot and Jefferson families – it would be too much to expect everyone to have such emotional feeling. The ceremony would also recognize her as being bound to both families. She'd ask her mother to stand beside her – if her mother declined she must not dwell of that rejection. But the ceremony meant much more than that to her: it was a tribute to an incredibly brave and unyielding young pioneer who thought up a plan and had the guts to initiate it without even giving detractors the chance to allege that she was crazy or to try to persuade her it couldn't be done.

* * *

Sunday dawned fine. "No, there's no time for that," Ellis giggled, "but some little kisses won't go amiss. Good boy."

"Let's have a leisurely breakfast and then you to off to Molly's sister's place where she'll be waiting to dress you – and don't forget to take your new black riding boots. Then you are to be on the Market Street reserve at 7:30 for the arrival of your black pony. I'm so excited about this – it's like a home-coming I never had."

"Of course it's a big day for you darling and will look great. Molly told me that the condition for family to be served breakfast was that must be dressed to look like settlers. She's expecting up to thirty to turn out."

Neither of them was aware that was Molly at her deceptive best.

Troy realized something was up on the way to Molly's elder sister's home. The streets were as busy as a week day and this Sunday 7:20!

Megan, her husband and children were dressed up like original settlers as were Molly and her husband. "This looks big."

"It is big – the Mayor is expecting a crowd approaching 10,000. It's all been done by hand-bill promotion just like the old days and all media sworn to secrecy as a huge surprise for Ellis and the real guest of honor, Jed Jefferson. A train of open wagons will bring Jed and fellow residents of the Home through past you at Market Street corner and then you'll lead the main parade down to City Hall."

"What main parade."

"Oh almost five hundred people are in the parade including bands in old costumes, horse-drawn carriages – our museum and pioneering museums up to two hundred miles away are contributing vehicles and paraphernalia. The Governor will be taking the salute."

"What salute?" Troy asked.

"Oh a few present day police, firemen and military personnel dressed up in old uniforms of any era – about two hundred of them. We have no hope of quietly conducting the ceremony – the chief parade marshal estimates it will be 9:30 before the tail of the parade passes that point. Then there is the declaration."

"I won't ask, you are going to tell me anyway," Troy said, pulling his jet-black Levi's over his new riding boots."

"The story of Irene Jefferson has been distributed to newspapers along with her marriage photograph for publication in the morning. The Governor will declare Irene Jefferson as a Heroine of the State for her famous single-handed action in 1888 to save her young community."

"Famous – but no-one but Ellis and Jed seem to know about it."

"Well that changes from today doesn't it," Molly said. "Come on, get your ass into gear – you have a parade to lead. Your darling in black will be waiting for you outside the library."

"City Hall."

"The Library – you'll see when you get down there. Are you going to marry her?"

"Yes."

"Good – your fly is undone. Heh-heh – caught you. Come on."

"Geeze have you seen all the people – look at all these floats, this is awesome," Mitch said. "How did they get this organized without us knowing?"

"Word of mouth and hand bills."

"What are hand bills?"

"Printed versions of word of mouth Mitch," Troy grinned, taking the reins of Midnight; he was shiny, beautifully groomed. "I brushed him with love, thinking of you," Gabriel said, pushing in against Troy's ankle-length black coat and kissing him hard on the mouth."

"God I needed that," she panted. "I'm wet," She wiped the lipstick from Troy's mouth. He was still trying to focus on her tits – much of which were exposed as she was dressed appropriately as a saloon girl, probably descended from one, Troy mused, but he thought she was lively and great. She gathered in her two children – the daughter about eight proudly dressed as a saloon girl and the six-year old boy practicing the narrow-eyed look of a gunslinger and reaching for his two wooden guns.

"Troy – this is Stan Gray, director of the pioneering museum," Mitch said, and turning to glare at Gabriel he yelled, "Gabriel for goodness sake put those tits away – you're in the city."

"Don't be a jerk," she called back, lifting the front of some of her petticoats at him."

"Troy – these two Colt 45s are from my personal collection," Stan said. "For all we know they could have been the gunman's although it was more likely he would have packed a single gun and carried a shotgun."

"Geeze this belt is heavy."

"Yeah, that's live ammo in the belt but the guns are not loaded. Easy how you go."

"Thanks, Stan. I'll hand them over as soon as the unveiling is over."

"No, they're yours pal, a gift of the city. You and Ellis will be sorry you've triggered this day – you'll both be into visiting schools and attending important historic events."

This was becoming too much for Troy. He mounted Midnight to get out of the way. Midnight reared and people scattered – Troy just having time to notice Gabriel attempting to pull herself back into the top of her dress. Then Midnight's feet hit the ground.

"Give him a work-out," Mitch yelled. "He's shoed."

More people scattered as Midnight crossed into the other side of Market Street which fortunately was almost deserted. Troy allowed him to have a short burst and then slowed him down; he was so beautifully groomed it seemed a pity to allow it to be sweated out. He was sweating under all his clothes. He felt giddy knowing he now possessed a pair of genuine Colt Single Action Army's.

At last they were underway, a drummer provided the slow walk beat. Troy was positioned twenty yards ahead of the parade to give an authentic looking impression of the lone gunman. He had mixed feeling. In his top right pocket was an engagement ring – he'd intending proposing to Ellis but not with all these people about. He though I like this city; I've never had a real hometown and I think this will become it. I pleased to see Ellis becoming a celebrity in her own right: she will have pulled her family around her now, thanks in no small measure to Molly – Fat Lady. He almost chuckled in regurgitation that awful name and thinking her intelligence and heart were the biggest things about her. He hoped Ellis would choose to have Molly as Maid of Honor at the wedding. He narrowed his eyes and looked grim, as Mitch and Gabriel's boy had practiced as being the right 'look'. People were waving and cheering at him so it was difficult not to wave and smile back, but he dipped his head at the females and they shrieked in delight.

City Hall came into view and he could see the lone figure of his darling, Emotion hit him. Ellis looked vulnerable standing there alone. Irene Jefferson had been a slip of a girl, only nineteen when she was in that very position waiting for her gunman. She was heroic – no question about that; long live the memory of Irene Jefferson.

He noticed that Council workmen had been busy. Overnight they'd attached a reasonable replica of the front of a typical tiny pioneering days' library across the entrance to City Hall. Well done boys.

* * *

As promised, Molly arrived for Ellis who thought she looked great dressed up and Molly reciprocated with "Just look at you – oh my, that gunman will topple off his mount.

Ellis went out and immediately realized something was not right; they had a police escort.

Molly came clean: "Something I best tell you love, this whole thing has kind of gotten out of hand. It's become bigger than big."

A TV helicopter swooped low overhead, banked and returned filming them.

"My God is this necessary," Ellis protested.

"Sorta gotten out of hand, as I said."

"You'll be given a chair – there's also a parade that is expected to take one and a half hours to pass."

"One and a half hours – no parade is that big."

"You may have to change your mind."

"No chair. Irene would not have waited sitting on a chair."

"Fine, Troy is leading the parade to this point. He will be brought to the side facing you, about thirty feet and will remain sitting on his horse."

"Pony."

"Horse."

"Oh, does it really matter. Perhaps you can flash your breasts at him to ensure he doesn't become bored; this is not a family thing to him you know."

"Irene would not have flashed."

"Of course not – it was the 1880s."

"Then I'm not flashing."

"Of course not, I was only joking."

"Was joking invented by the 1880s?"

"I'm sure bad joking came into being as soon as the first two original men met."

Molly agreed and was asked what had that last comment to do with today.

"Oh God, you're nervous."

"I'm terrified."

"Well that's okay. I guess Irene would have been terrified as well."

"Until she saw him."

"Yes, I guess so."

The city CEO introduced Ellis and Molly to the Governor and his wife. The women both knew the Mayor and his wife. The VIPS were seated in tiers in a small covered stand

"Please join us for champagne and nibbles," the CEO invited.

"Thank you but no – I'll stand in the spot but first I wish to greet relatives."

"Hi Uncle Philip, Uncle Richard and ladies. Hi mother; mother will you do the honor of standing beside me?"

"Thank you dear, yes but I'll stand a couple of paces away; this is your day. I'll just finish my drink."

Ellis was taken to the spot. The CEO said it had been arranged for the clock to strike noon as soon as they were ready to start the ceremony when the last of the parade went by.

Alice came and stood within easy chatting distance away from her daughter. She looked elegant in a black floral-topped hat and a simple and very tight black dress and riding boots. "This dress came to me through mother – it easily could have been Irene's dress but we'll never know. It wouldn't fit you of course – you women today have such big boobs and wide hips but you do have a lovely figure."

"Here they come – is that you man leading the parade."

The loudspeakers boomed out, "Here is the Parade led by Miss Ellis Jefferson's fiancé Troy Gardiner on the magnificent stallion Midnight from the Elliot's ranch where he stands for Mitch's Elliot's breeding program."

"Are you engaged Ellis?" enquired her mother.

"That Molly – I'll strangle her."

"I thought Molly was a really good friend."

"She is mother – she just doesn't know when enough is enough."

"That sounds very much like you describing yourself Ellis."

Ellis's knees felt weak when she saw the man in black approach and stop in the spot marked 'Horse'. Obviously Troy must be able to ride because not even a fool would put him on a stallion around seventeen hands high. Ye gods!"

But she calmed when their eyes met; he seemed to pour strength back into her legs. It was a wonderful moment. "Oh Irene," she whimpered.

"I feel the same way dear," said her mother. "I should have had the nous and courage to do this. Thank you my dear on behalf of Irene's parents and her descendants. I have been a terrible mother to you but that's just me. I should have been an Elliot."

"No, Jefferson."

"No Elliot – Irene was Irene Elliot."

"Oh of course, I see what you mean. Just look at this parade will you and look at the people across from us – they must be fifteen deep."

"At least twenty deep. Your man looks big and powerful and very handsome – much like the horse I think."

"Mother!"

"Good stud material in my opinion."

Ellis sighed. "I don't think I could give a modern girl the name Irene."

"Agreed, but as her second name Irene would still be fine."

"It's what I first thought, aged about seven, when grandmother first told me the story of Irene Jefferson nee Elliot as she used to describe her."

Alice said, "That was mother attempting to pull the families together again through name and historical associations. When she told me the story about her mother she always called her Irene Elliot."

"It doesn't really matter does it – we should all be happy to claim an association."

The Governor made the declaration of Irene Elliot-Jefferson, Heroine of the State to huge acclaim.

"Elliot-Jefferson – brilliant Molly, you are forgiven," Ellis said, hugging her mother who was crying.

"Step back into position Ellis, you're on," Alice said.

The clock began to peel twelve and Ellis stepped out on to the road as Troy began riding towards her. As Troy brought Midnight to a halt, ten mortars fired, sending cotton packs high into the air to scatter small lengths of ribbon over the crowds packing the city centre precinct.

Midnight reared high, frightened by the explosions. Completely unrehearsed Troy raised his Stetson to Ellis as she disappeared from view below him while Ellis stood her ground holding on to her hat with one hand, the other calmly holding her unfurled parasol. It was one of those great shots loved by news-gatherers and within minutes the image would be beamed around the country and film strip already being cut from recorded live TV filming to be distributed by satellite to news agencies.

Midnight dropped back to his feet, Troy hauling in rein to arch the horse's powerful neck while fighting to keep him under control.

The miniature remote microphone below Ellis's right shoulder switched on with a buzz which was her cue: Good afternoon Sir. I am Irene Elliot who has hired you to rid our land of human varmints."

Troy then delivered his line: "I'm Casper Jefferson at your service ma'am. Why, you look pretty as a picture."

The crowd went wild. Troy dismounted and led Ellis by the arm to stand in front of the black velvet cover over the memorial. He reached out and pulled his prospective mother-in-law to stand beside him.

In clear, true voice Ellis said began her short speech: "This is truly a great day for the City of Clyde-on -Wide River especially for the Elliot's and Jefferson's, First Families who settled in this part of the territory. Before coming here today I thought this day is a wonderful a tribute to an incredibly brave and unyielding young pioneer Irene Elliot who thought up a plan and had the guts to initiate it without even giving detractors the chance to allege that she was crazy or to try to persuade her it couldn't be done. Since I was a young girl I have attempt to model myself on that indomitable spirit displayed by my great-grandmother. Our families of the Elliot's and the Jefferson's thank you dear people for turning out so enthusiastically and spectacularly. We are over-whelmed. Thank you Governor; thank you Mr Mayor and Council and thank you for all those who helped to promote this great day."

Pastor Blake gave a short dedication and he and Ellis working together unveiled the small bronze memorial set into the stone paving slab.

* * *

After the formal late breakfast and special guests had departed, Jed Elliot presided over a meeting of the two families.

"First, I must say that I have invited our honorary gunman to stay for this meeting. Troy has requested permission to speak, saying he had something to deliver that could perhaps especially interest the ladies. Troy, the floor is yours.

"Ladies and gentlemen, today show is not quite over. The following is also symbolic but at the same time very real. Ellis Jefferson please step forward."

Then Ellis reached his side Troy took her hand and dropped to his knee.

Ellis Jefferson – you know that I love you although I'm still a bit of a learner and I know in my heart that you love me. Will you please marry me?"

The room waited silence and then erupted into shouts and cheers as Ellis replied yes.

Troy reached into the pocket above his heart and pulled out the ring and placed it on Ellis's ring finger.

"Kiss, kiss, kiss" chanted the assembly.

Ellis knelt down and she and Troy kissed.

"Well every one, that finishes this sweet little interlude," said Jed. "If you don't mind save offering your congratulations to the lovely couple after we finish with the following formality. As it may be know I have been the honorary head of the Elliot and Jefferson families for thirty-eight years – in fact since the death of my predecessor, Frank B. Jefferson. History suggests that it is the turn of a Jefferson to take this mantle as spokesman and initiator on behalf of the two families when need arises but there is no ruling in place which I think it's how it should be – the most appropriate person should hold the position. I wish to retire from the position as from today, retiring on a high note if I may say so. I now invited nominations.