Alexander's Magazine (Vol. 1, No. 1, May 15, 1905)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“The clerk bustled about and the grocer made out the bill.

“‘It’s a big order,’ he said. ‘Did your mother tell you to pay for it, or is it to be charged?’

“‘My mother,’ said the boy, as he pocketed the neat and accurate bill, ‘has nothing to do with this business. It is my arithmetic lesson, and I had to get it done somehow.’”—In the Boston Herald.

* * * * *

“Oh, dey’s times fu’ bein’ pleasant an’ fu’ goin’ smilin’ roun’, ’Cause I don’t believe in people allus totin’ roun’ a frown, But it’s easy ’nough to titter w’en de stew is smokin’ hot, But hit’s mighty ha’d to giggle w’en dey’s nuffin’ in de pot.”

—Paul Laurence Dunbar.

_An Artist of Rare Culture_

BY S. E. WILSON

“I have no genius; it is only patient, concentrated toil that gives me success.”—Sir Isaac Newton.

It is with the deepest sense of pride that we introduce our readers to one of the most gifted artists of the Afro-American race, Mme. Estelle Pinckney Clough, of Worcester, Mass. Two years ago, on the 11th day of this month, Mme. Clough made her debut in grand opera. She achieved a great triumph in interpreting the soprano role of “Aida,” a production which was presented by the Theodore Drury Opera company in the Lexington Opera House, New York City. Relative to this appearance, the critic of the “Musical Leader” says:

“A performance of remarkable excellence was given by Theodore Drury and his associates, who revealed in a manner most astonishing what talent is to be found among the Colored people. “Aida” was sung and admirably sung by Mme. Estelle Clough of Worcester, Mass. She has a voice of wonderful range, and her high notes are so exquisitely sung that Melba herself need have no shame were she the possessor. The performance was a credit to all and a revelation to many who, like myself, had never seen anything of the sort before. The audience was very large and thoroughly appreciative.”

Last year the Drury Opera company gave a performance of Mascagni’s “Cavalleria Rusticana” and Leoncavallo’s “Pagliacci” at the Lexington Opera House for the benefit of the Home for Colored Musicians. Mme. Clough’s magnificent conception of the character of “Nedda” in the opera “Pagliacci” won immediate recognition. Her rendition of this role was marked by the display of intense emotional power, coupled with telling vocal capacity and expression.

Mme. Clough recalls with interest the singing tour recently made in Baltimore and Washington with the S. Coleridge-Taylor Choral society of Washington. Our artist sang the soprano roles in S. Coleridge-Taylor’s “Hiawatha.” There were 200 voices in the chorus and the music was rendered by the United States Marine band, under the direction of the composer of “Hiawatha.”

We have taken a rather extensive review of work far and near, but now we come home to ask the question whether or not a “prophet hath honor in his own country?” The proof in the affirmative is a matter of so recent date that hundreds of Worcester people are still discussing the marvellous ability of our accomplished musician. Concert by Mme. Estelle Clough. Mechanics’ hall, Worcester, Mass., Thursday evening, May 4, 1905, assisted by a number of talented artists: Mr. Paul C. W. Dufault, tenor, New York; Miss Marion Ward, violinist, Nashua, N. H.; Mr. Ernest S. Valva, flutist; Miss Blanche Kenerson, pianist and accompanist Miss Gertrude Gallagher, pianist; Mrs. Emma La Bonte, alto; Mr. C. Sharp, tenor; Mr. W. Ryan, basso, and a chorus of 40 ladies.

[Illustration: MME. ESTELLE PINKNEY CLOUGH]

More than 1500 persons listened with pleasure to the program so well arranged and including some of the most ambitious numbers which are included in the repertoire of a soprano.

In referring to this concert, the Worcester Post says: “Mme. Clough achieved a distinct success. Her high and resonant tones, flexible and sweet, were heard to advantage in every part of the hall. Her selections were: “Ocean, Thou Mighty Monster,” from “Oberon,” Weber; “Indian Bell Song,” from “Lakme,” Delibes; “The Nightingale,” from “Les Noces de Jeannette,” Masse, and “The Sea Maiden,” Smart.

Her handsome stage presence, her stunning gown of black velvet cut decollete and en train, with necklace of rare pearls and crimson roses in her hair, made a most attractive picture as she stood and received the prolonged applause that is seldom accorded even to a festival singer. She was presented many beautiful bouquets and was forced to return again and again.

The Ocean aria calls for careful management of the vocal organs and this was not lacking. The Indian bell song showed the flexibility and staccato power of her tones which imitated the sounds of the bell at even. The Masse aria, with flute obligato by Ernest Valva, was a number few sopranos would dare to attempt for the contrast between flute and voice would be only too noticeable if the voice should fail to be of the pure quality demanded by the writing. Mme. Clough sang like the nightingale and the hall resounded with applause.

In the “Sea Maiden,” she was assisted by the chorus. This song has been given in Worcester before only by festival artists. The Masse aria has been sung here but once before, by Mrs. Tryphosa Bates Batcheller. The remarkable high tones of the singer last night were noteworthy. Few are ever heard that can so easily reach and sustain high E flat. Altogether, Mme. Clough and her teacher, Mme. Maria Peterson, were fully deserving of the congratulations bestowed upon them by numerous friends and musical people after the concert.

Mme. Clough says that her success is due in no small degree to the inspiration and encouragement given by her most devoted friend and teacher, Mme. Maria Dorothy Peterson, of Worcester, Mass. Mme. Peterson is one of the great European vocal instructors and uses the real old Italian method, having imbibed it from no less an authority than Jenny Lind. Mme. Peterson is a most noble-hearted woman and she impressed me deeply when she said, “I have much in store for Mme. Clough, but it would necessarily mean a European tour. What I do in her interest is for the race. When one rises, others must unwittingly do the same.”

Madame Clough’s thorough knowledge of elocution and dramatic action was gained from the well known, conscientious instructor, Mr. Joseph M. Bergin, also of Worcester.

For a number of years Mme. Clough was a successful teacher on the pianoforte. Thus, being a thoroughly trained musician, she not only has a large number of pupils in vocal culture but also in instrumental instruction.

My dear readers, do you not realize that it is the accomplishment which demands recognition? The world is seeking for the person who can do something to uplift or elevate humanity. If you have a talent, cultivate it. Work hard and work faithfully. The quotation from Sir Isaac Newton which precedes this article is Mme. Clough’s favorite motto and she has a copy of it in a conspicuous place in her studio, where she may often read it and likewise her pupils:

“I have no genius; it is only patient, concentrated toil that gives me success.”

* * * * *

The progress of civilization, the moral and intellectual improvement of society, as well as the psychological enlightenment of the world at large attests increasingly to the value, the justice and the worth of common education for all members of the body politic in whatever station or of whatever condition they may be found or to whatever race they may belong.

* * * * *

Governor W. D. Jelks of Alabama last week appointed Herschel V. Cashin, a Colored lawyer of Decatur, Alabama, notary public. He, Warren Logan of the Tuskegee Institute, and possibly one other, are the only Colored notaries public in the state.

Alexander’s Magazine

_CHARLES ALEXANDER EDITOR & PUBLISHER_

PUBLISHED ON THE FIFTEENTH OF EACH MONTH AT 714 SHAWMUT AVENUE IN THE CITY OF BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS SUBSCRIPTION PRICE, ONE DOLLAR A YEAR, TEN CENTS FOR A SINGLE COPY

_EDITORIAL_

MRS. CARRIE W. CLIFFORD

There are very few women in this country who are accomplishing larger purposes for the uplift of mankind, or who are expending more mental and moral energy in unselfish endeavors, or who have achieved greater distinction on account of a liberal show of exceptional elocutionary talent and rare literary gifts, or greater forcefulness of personality as an organizer and leader of her sex than Mrs. Carrie W. Clifford of Cleveland, Ohio.

Mrs. Clifford was born in Columbus, Ohio, where she distinguished herself in the high school as a student of unusual brilliancy. Mrs. Clifford organized the Minerva Reading club for the study of literature and of course this brought her in connection with the National Association of Colored Women. Being an enthusiastic worker and having devoted her best energies to the development of the Cleveland organization, her ability was soon recognized and when the call for a state organization was issued, she took first place among those who brought about the Ohio State Federation in 1901. In 1903 in connection with her duties as president of the Ohio State Federation she launched “Queen’s Gardens” and later compiled a magnificent little booklet entitled “Sowing for Others to Reap,” containing some of the best thought of the Colored women of Ohio.

Of the 16 federated states belonging to the National Federation of Colored Women’s clubs, the Ohio Federation stands second to none. At the last convention of this organization Mrs. Clifford, having had her full share of the honors of the work, had determined to decline a re-election; but she could not realize how firmly planted in the hearts of Ohio women she had become on account of her faithful service to their noble cause than when the time for re-election came. The women in convention would consider no other candidate because they had learned to love and honor a worthy leader and could not easily be persuaded to try the uninitiated.

[Illustration: MRS. CARRIE W. CLIFFORD]

Mrs. Clifford is in great demand both as a dramatic reader and lecturer but must decline many engagements because of her devotion to her home. She has been the chief promoter of nearly every good work conducted in the interest of Colored people in Cleveland. It was through her efforts that Dr. Du Bois delivered his lecture in that city not long since, and she was largely instrumental in planning and carrying out the magnificent program on the occasion of the Dr. Booker T. Washington banquet. Because she is interested in literary matters she was selected by the publishers of the Cleveland Journal as editor-in-chief of the Woman’s edition and achieved notable success of the enterprise. We consider ourselves fortunate in being able to secure the service of such an able woman on our magazine.—The Editor.

THE LATE JOSEPH JEFFERSON

In the death of Joseph Jefferson the theatrical profession loses the most renowned, the most respected, the most highly esteemed and perhaps the most skillful actor that has played upon the American stage for a great number of years. The chief characteristics of this man’s career points to his simplicity of home life and his ideals, with a view to dignifying his profession in the eyes of the public. It may be that the day of great actors has faded away into the past and that we may never have another who will interpret the vital literature of the past so admirably and with such technique and vividness as did Joseph Jefferson. Where is the man or woman who pretends to know anything about the history of the American stage who is not familiar with Joseph Jefferson in the role of Rip Van Winkle, and what school boy or school girl has not read Washington Irving’s magnificent production in the course of his or her daily studies. The manner in which Joseph Jefferson delineated the character of a vagabond, who was simplicity itself and the pathos of whose life is a tradition in our history, and at once places him in the front rank of the finest and best artists of his day and generation. There was a charm in the portrayal of Rip that never failed to hold the attention of theatregoers wherever exhibited. In the truest sense Joseph Jefferson was an adornment to his profession, and the sweet and delightful memory of his activities will be cherished by generations yet unborn.

[Illustration: THE LATE JOSEPH JEFFERSON]

* * * * *

In the recent death of Mr. Patrick J. Healy, head of the firm of Lyon & Healy of Chicago, Ill., removes from the musical world one of the most successful and widely known business men of this generation. He was a skilled, sympathetic, hard working business man and his unusual attainments were due to his rectitude, love and tolerance—splendid qualities of head and heart—as well as his incessant application to the business in which he was engaged. His honesty, integrity, faithfulness and splendid devotion to his friends and to all who came in contact with him either in a business or social way stamped him as a man of fine quality and a model for young men. As Mr. Haynes, head of the firm of Oliver Ditson company, says, in his splendid tribute: “His memory will be a blessed heritage to his friends and all with whom he has ever been associated.”

* * * * *

The collection of Negro Melodies recently issued by Oliver Ditson company, being transcriptions of Negro and African Folk Songs by Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, form a remarkable contribution to the Musicians’ Library, issued by this deservedly popular house, and the article concerning the work of Mr. Taylor which appears in this issue of Alexander’s Magazine contributed to The Musician by Dr. Booker T. Washington, principal of the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute, is informing and helpful. It must be an exalted position to be rightly credited as the first great composer of a race, and such is the position of Mr. S. Coleridge-Taylor of London, England. His compositions are brilliant and carry with them evidence of scientific research and careful character delineations. The recent rendition of a number of these compositions by Mr. Samuel W. Jamieson of this city, in Steinert hall, evidences the fact that his work is extraordinary and ranks with the best classics of modern times. We reproduce from The Musician the splendid copyright portrait of Mr. S. Coleridge-Taylor by special written permission of the Oliver Ditson company.

CHARLES ALEXANDER

THE NEED OF A MONTHLY MAGAZINE

BY J. M. HENDERSON

As a rule the first news of various happenings is presented in the papers hastily. People want the news and read what is presented as news quickly and pass it along without much thought. This is about all of the attention that a large part of news items are worth but there are constantly taking place events that bear such important relations to questions of great interest that it is essential for the student of events to have the aid of a monthly review.

Alexander’s Magazine will meet an existing need if it takes up important events and questions of vital and present day interest and gives to its readers the outcome of calm, deliberate, and critical thought. The weekly paper has its place, but the race now needs strong monthly journals.

Such men as Judge Straker and many of his class who are seldom heard from of late years would find in a strong monthly publication a means of saying many very valuable things to the race. The earnest men and women now at the zenith of activity would not hesitate to speak through a calm monthly periodical.

The white people who desire to learn something of the Colored citizens beyond what can be seen on the surface or gleaned from the hurried reports of daily happenings would find in a well edited monthly a great aid.

Such a periodical should become a powerful advocate of the welfare of the race. It should review the sayings of the weekly papers of the race and present the rational conclusions that are to be drawn from scattered news that has been hurriedly presented.

A Conference in the South End House, Boston

BY JOHN DANIELS

On the evening of April 27 there was held at the South End House, 20 Union Park street, Boston, an important conference on the position of the Negro in the city. Present were Butler R. Wilson, Esq., Charles Alexander, Hon. William H. Dupree, Dr. L. M. Holmes, Rev. Henry J. Callis, Mrs. Olivia Ward Bush and Mrs. Joseph Lee, R. A. Woods, Prof. T. N. Carver, Rev. Charles N. Field, W. I. Cole, John Daniels, F. W. Leace, Mr. and Mrs. Baker, Mrs. Woods and Miss Mary W. Ovington.

The program consisted of a number of short reports on special topics, and afterwards a general discussion. Mr. Cole, secretary of the South End House association and head of the Men’s Residence, where the conference was held, announced, in calling the meeting to order, that it seemed advisable to certain people interested in the situation of the Negro in Boston to call together a number of those well acquainted with the subject for the purpose of finding out the true situation and to determine whether it called for special effort, and if so, how this effort should be directed.

Dr. L. M. Holmes was the first speaker. His subject was “Negro Immigration into Boston from the South.” Dr. Holmes has charge of the Young Men’s Educational Aid association, and is well informed on this particular subject. He said that the majority of the Colored immigrants come from Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.

John Daniels, who, as holder of the Harvard Fellowship of the South End House, is making a special study of the Negro population of Boston, spoke on “The Economic Situation of the Boston Negroes.” “There are in Boston today,” he said, “probably [Transcriber’s Note: the number is illegible. It’s five figures, and the first is a 1.] Negroes. The percentage of employment among them is larger than that for the white population as a whole, or for any element of it. This statement, however, is not to be regarded altogether optimistically. But turning to the kinds of work the Negroes are engaged in, we find the majority of them engaged in the meaner sorts of labor, unskilled labor for the most part, and commanding only the pay of unskilled labor. We find very few of them in the handicrafts and the trades. The problem, then, is not so much to get more work as to get better work.”

Charles Alexander spoke on “The Negro in the Professions in Boston.” He confined himself to the professions of law and medicine. “Boston has ten Negro physicians, and about 15 Negro lawyers,” he said, “a larger number in proportion to the size of the Negro population than in any other northern city. The color line is not so strictly drawn in the professions. Negroes here get white patronage.” He then went on to name the most prominent Negro lawyers and physicians of the city. He made special mention of Dr. Geo. F. Grant, who in dentistry has won international fame, and Dr. Thomas W. Patrick, head of a most successful school of pharmacy, all the students of which are white. Mr. Alexander expressed himself as optimistic regarding the future success of the Negro professional man in Boston.

Mrs. O. W. Bush, well known as a lecturer and club woman, spoke on “The Negro Woman in Boston.” She mentioned the considerable interest our women are taking in mothers’ meetings, temperance work and literary association. “The most important question,” she said, “is whether the women feel their responsibilities as wives and mothers.” She thought their responsibility is felt in proportion as the women share in the economic stress of supporting the family. “Oftentimes, however, too much of this economic stress falls upon the women. They have to work too much, and the home is neglected.”