All The Young Punks Pt. 24

Story Info
Boccuccia di Rosa.
8.4k words
4.66
433
0
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

---- OCTOBER 1979 ----

Joe hung around Providence for a few more days, giving his sisters more time and resisting the urge to take the train to Penn Station. He had a band-related project. He just wasn't sure what band, his old band or the next band. He noticed a pattern with Tina. They spoke every evening, sometimes for hours, late into the night. She was good for four days, maybe five, then she'd start whining that she missed him and began asking when he was coming back to New York. By day eight or nine, she was sad and weepy on every call. Joe hopped on the train on day ten. This time, Tina knew he was coming and on what train.

When Joe walked into Penn Station, he heard a yelp and noticed a commotion to his left. He saw purple hair coming through the crowd, against the flow of passengers getting off the train. She split a couple in two, trying to reach Joe, and lunged into his arms.

"Take it easy," he said. "You almost killed those people." The woman looked back, glaring at Joe, who had T's arms around his neck and lips on his face. "Sorry!" He waved at the older lady.

"I missed you so much," Tina said. "The last few days were awful. I hate sleeping alone." She kissed him again, took his hand with a huge smile, and happily walked to their subway connection. She was a chatterbox the whole way.

On the crowded rush hour subway, she leaned against Joe, looking up at him with love in her eyes. This is what Joe imagined it would be like to be in love. He was so happy to see her so happy to see him. The strange thing was; that coming home to Tina was exactly like coming home to his sisters... except for one huge difference.

"I have good news," Tina stood on her toes to speak into his ear. "There's a big faculty event at school. I have no classes tomorrow and no work. We're not leaving the apartment. I've already stocked up on groceries. I'm going to fuck you silly."

Joe noticed a proper-looking older gentleman behind Tina slowly turn. He met Joe's eyes. Tina didn't whisper quietly enough. Joe smiled. The old man smiled, nodded, and winked.

---- ANDY CAPP ----

After being held hostage in the purple and pink sex sanctuary for a day, Tina was back in class and Joe stopped in to see Simon. Six weeks had passed since the attack. When Joe had a week or more between visits, Simon's improvement was obvious.

"So you can play?" Joe smiled when he walked in on Simon fiddling with his guitar. "This is good progress."

"I'm bloody awful," Simon said. "And I can only mess about for fifteen minutes. My fingers are all pins and needles, and then pain. I pound the painkillers before I play so they'll kick in at the right time."

"What do you say we get out of here for lunch? You could use some sunlight."

"Nah. I'm good." Simon said. "Jett dropped off some groceries. I'm cooking for myself."

"A walk would do you good. You didn't break a leg."

"Not because they didn't try." Simon lowered his head. "Not today, Joe, but keep asking."

"Okay, buddy." Joe put his hand on Si's shoulder. "Show me what you can play. Just a little."

Days later, Joe asked again. Simon declined, he had food in the fridge.

"I just checked your fridge."

"I'm not hungry."

Joe reached into his backpack and pulled out a paper bag. He presented Simon with a gift. This is for you. Simon opened it and removed a garment.

He nodded, "This will work. He placed the cap on his head."

"I have never seen you with a hat," Joe said, "but this is the only style I could imagine you in."

"It's a good choice," Simon smiled and went to his mirror. "It covers the worst of it."

It was an old-style wool cap, the kind English and Irishmen wear, like Andy Capp in the Sunday comics. When Joe saw Simon's smile while he looked in the mirror, he felt like a million bucks. The Brit was coming back.

"You're coming out for lunch. That's not a request."

Simon scrunched his nose, then looked back at the mirror. "Yeah, give me a minute."

It was a little painful watching Simon walk the blocks to the subway, and then from the subway to the Parkside Grille. They hadn't broken his legs, but he had deep bone bruises from the beating and hadn't walked any distance in weeks. Joe slowed his pace to match his. On this day, Simon was in good spirits in public. That, and the fact he could play a little bad guitar, made Joe feel his friend had reached a milestone. For the first time, he felt truly hopeful about Simon's progress.

*****

While T was in class, Joe was hanging around Jones Street. He popped in at Strider Records, just a half block from 3C. He grabbed a coffee and Rolling Stone magazine at a corner market and went home to write music. He had ideas in his head, words, and sounds. He sat on the living room sofa strumming his white pawn shop tele with his amp on low. Lana walked in.

"Are you gonna sing to me again?"

"Sure," Joe smiled. "But let's wait for T. It's more fun when she's here."

"She was not happy about L-A-N-A Lana."

"I know. It's cute now, but someday..." Joe winced.

"Oh, have you had jealous girlfriends?"

"Not really a girlfriend, but sort of." Joe set his Tele down and went to the fridge for a drink. "So that lessened her claim. We had a non-exclusivity deal."

"When are you going back to Rhode Island?"

Joe sighed. "I don't know, maybe next Monday. I have to deal with band shit." He popped open a bottle of orange juice and took a big, long drink.

"Hey, don't drink from the bottle."

"Okay, Mom," he smiled. "I paid for it. I have bottle privileges. Just so you know." He took another sip and returned the bottle to the fridge.

"I thought your band was over," she said. "You gave up."

"It's bad, but I haven't completely given up."

Lana leaned, hip out, one hand on the hip. "Do you consider me a friend?"

Joe leaned his back against the fridge and smiled, seeing another woman with a hand on her hips move when she had something to say. "Yeah, we're friends and part-time roommates."

"Then why haven't you talked to me about that?"

"About what?

"Your band... and Johnny."

"Because it's embarrassing. We're just a bunch of loser punks who can't keep a good thing going." Joe shrugged. "I'm not gonna bore you with my problems."

"If what Tina says is true," she scrunched her nose. "It ain't boring. It's some serious shit."

"And it's stupid. This happens to so many bands, but that doesn't make it hurt less. I never thought it would be my band because I keep drugs..." He paused, thinking. Joe moved his hand out, away from his body and up. "I keep drugs out here. There's a place for them. I like weed, but I have no interest in anything else. I didn't think..."

"Joe, there are three other guys. It's not just your band. You can't control it all. Tina told me what you're going through." Lana moved closer, put her hand on Joe's forearm, and looked up at him. "You're a good guy, Joe. You care about your friend more than your band, and maybe even yourself. I'm no longer concerned about Tina. I know you'll take good care of her."

"Were you concerned about her before?"

"Well, yes. When I heard you were a musician I wondered what kind of guy you were. She seemed too into you too early, and I was worried." Lana stepped back, "And maybe someday I'll see this fucking band I'm hearing so much about, Young Punks, blah, blah, blah, sideshow, blah, blah, blah, singalongs." She smiled. "That girl believes in you. She says you're gonna be famous someday."

"I did tell you she's delusional, didn't I? I have years of therapy behind me, and I read shit. I know stuff about..." he pointed at his temple.

"Yes, you did."

*****

A few days after he arrived, Joe called home to check-in. Mom answered, which was rare. The girls usually ran to the phone. Mom and Joe talked for a minute. She passed the phone to Jules, who then handed it off to Jeanie, who passed the baton to Jackie.

"Sal has called twice looking for you," she said. "He called the day you left and again yesterday. He wants you to call the garage."

"He has my number here. If it was really important..."

"Do you think maybe he lost it? It is Sal."

"Good point. Maybe he did."

"Would you like me to give it to him if he calls again?"

"No. I don't care what Sal has to say. When I get back in town, I'll go to the garage."

"Are you dicking around with him?"

"No, I'm not fucking around. We have problems he won't deal with. I'm giving him space and time to figure it out."

"You did this to Mom when she read your journal. You froze her out, wouldn't talk, and gave her nothing... for weeks."

"It wasn't that long."

"All I'm saying is," Jackie paused. "I know your head games, Joe. And you're playing them with your band."

"You're too fucking smart to be fourteen."

"I'll be fifteen in three weeks. You better be home for my birthday."

"I'm not making any promises, but you know I'll do my best."

----- UP AND COMER ----

Tina had to work a long shift because there was a Von Something German Gallery event. She had helped plan and organize the event, which showed that Magaret had some faith in Tina's abilities. T was nervous, so Joe popped in on the public showing of a French couple's work to lend support. The male artist was a painter, the woman a sculptor. They were lovers. She was the subject of many of his works. He was the inspiration for hers.

Tina's eyes bugged out and she smiled when Joe walked in. He waved but stayed away as she was busy with patrons. He walked up to a twelve-inch phallic sculpture, looked back at Tina, and smiled. He pointed at the plaster cock. She excused herself.

"So this is what you do for a job." he smiled as she pecked him on the cheek. "Display pornographic art, front, and center?"

"She wanted this to be the first piece anyone sees."

"Mission accomplished." Joe gestured to a painting of a hairy pussy with fingers holding the lips apart to show her clit and vagina. "I'm no art critic, but something tells me this schlong is intimately familiar with that... grand opening."

A lady standing behind Joe laughed. Joe turned and made a face. "Sorry."

"Oh, no. You're fine." She placed her hand on Joe's shoulder while looking at Tina. "And who might this dashing young man be?"

Tina smiled, "Joe, this is Gail Mortensen. This is my boyfriend, Joe Theroux."

"Ah, a Frenchman." Gail offered her hand. Joe accepted. "You must meet Claude and Claudia."

"Are you serious," Joe smirked. "Claude and Claudia? Are they twins? Is this an incest exhibit?"

Tina gasped, a little shocked, looked up at Gail Mortensen, then relieved to see Gail snicker while sliding her fingers down Joe's sleeve until she reached his hand. She looked at Tina, taking Joe by the hand. "Let me show him around. I'd like his thoughts on some of the other works."

Joe looked at T with a smile as Gail put her arm under Joe's and gripped his hand tighter. He shrugged. He had no clue who this lady was, but she was attractive and dressed elegantly. Her auburn hair was up, but he could tell she had long hair because there was a lot of it. Gail was slender, older than his Mom, he was guessing... but not much older. She had beautiful eyes and expensive jewelry.

"So, you and Tina Costello, huh?"

"Yes."

"You're a musician?"

"Yes."

"And you're from Rhode Island."

"Yes. I guess Tina filled you in on the basics."

"No," Gail smiled. "I just know things."

She stopped in front of a painting of breasts alongside a sculpture of the same breasts. "What do you think of these?"

Joe pondered for a moment. He noticed Tina was looking over, keeping tabs on him. "I prefer my breasts to be three-dimensional, so I like the sculpture." He leaned toward the painting. "Although he did make these nipples very enticing?"

"You're not afraid to say anything, are you?"

"I'm stoned, had one shot and one beer, and I'm not just a musician," Joe bowed. "I am a clown."

Gail stared at Joe. I heard that about you too. She and Joe walked the exhibit, which was not big, talked about the art on display, and looped back to the beginning where Margaret was standing. Joe stopped, "There's Mags, the art Nazi."

Gail laughed again, "You are not wrong." She leaned close. Joe could smell her perfume. It was very pleasant. She whispered in his ear. "She's a snob, a bitch, and she can't be trusted. I didn't come here for..." Gail smiled. "Mags. I like that name because she would absolutely hate it."

"Wow, you're awfully catty." Joe made claws.

"I've had a couple of cocktails myself. Come with me. I need another martini."

At the bar, Gail ordered two dirty martinis, insisting Joe have one with her. Tina was still watching from afar as she was showing patrons around. He shrugged again. Tina smiled and made kissy lips.

"Tina is a very bright young lady with a big future. I met her last year at an NYU fundraiser and was immediately impressed. I bought several of her urban prints for our summer cottage in Connecticut."

"Architectural photography? That's her best stuff, but she's great with people too."

"Yes. She is very good with people. If she can hang in here with Mags, and prove she has the toughness to deal with that... Nazi, as you called her." Gail held her fresh martini up. Joe raised his glass. "Your girl will have her pick of jobs in this city. Here's to Tina."

"The woman I love," Joe smiled at Gail, then looked across the room at T. "She's incredible." He sipped his gin.

Gail sipped her cocktail. "Yes, she is, and I love her too. Your girl is an up-and-comer in this art game."

Another older patron of the arts pulled Gail away. Joe waited for Tina to complete her rounds, not approaching Mags who clearly saw him speaking at length with a woman who appeared to be her rival. Mags made no attempt to speak with him. And that was fine with Joe.

Once he saw the exhibit, and Gail moved on, Joe was left to his own devices and the event was rather dull. Most patrons were grandparents. The younger attendees were his Mom and Dad's age. Joe hung near the bar, making small talk with the young lady bartender.

After the event, Tina pushed Joe against the wall of a building three doors down from VSGG. She forced a kiss on him. "Do you have any idea how hot you looked hanging out with Gail Mortensen? I bet she wanted to fuck you. I'm not guessing. She said you're the most charming young man she's ever met... and I agree." She kissed him hard again.

"Thank you so much for coming to this thing. It means a lot to me." Tina kissed him again, long and slow. "I'm sorry I couldn't spend time with you. Let's get home." She pulled him by the hand. "I'm so fucking horny right now."

She pulled him by the hand, "I love you so much."

--- CALLING IN A CHIP ---

Joe phoned home a few days after his first call, and Jackie answered. "Tony Mancuso called."

"Pops called the house?"

"Yes. He wants you to call the garage. He said something about chips. What's that about?"

"Nothing."

Joe phoned the garage the following day, during the afternoon hours Sal typically works the liquor store. Pops answered.

"Pops, it's Joe. What's going on?"

"Okay, kid. A few weeks back you said if I need a favor, something you could do, I should call in a chip. Well, I'm calling one in."

"What do you need?"

"I need you to come home and have a sit down with Sal, Johnny, and Nate. I'll be here to keep things civil. I don't want you guys arguing. There must be some compromise we could agree to. I'm asking you to meet them halfway."

Joe exhaled audibly. "Sal got to you?"

"No, he didn't. He has no clue I've reached out to you. This is me. I'm speaking for myself. I'm asking for the favor, not Sal."

"Okay. I'll come back on Wednesday. My girl will not be happy. I need a day to deal with that."

"All I ask is that you come with an open mind," Pops said.

"Okay. I'll take an early train after T is off to class."

Joe definitely upset Tina by leaving Wednesday when she thought he was staying through the weekend. The conversation got more than a little whiny. He assured her he'd come right back.

"Before Pops called I wasn't too concerned with what Sal is doing. The matter was out of my hands." He put his hand on hers. "Pops asking me to come talk means something changed. I hope so. I have to go find out why he's involved."

"But I changed my Friday schedule so we could have a long weekend," she said, sadly.

"I know," he said. "and I'm sorry. I have to work on this project."

"What project?"

"My plan for the future."

"How long will you be up there?"

"I'll come back in a few days. This isn't a big deal. I just have to be there for Pops."

Joe surprised his family by arriving midweek, unexpectedly. His sisters pouted that he didn't arrive bearing gifts.

"I didn't know I was coming home today."

He did not go to the garage first. Joe wanted to speak to Dad before he saw Pops and the guys

After dinner. When the house settled down late in the evening, he and Dad talked privately.

"I came back because Tony reached out. He's asked me to meet with Sal and the guys. Pops has done so much for us that I can't say no. I feel I owe him."

"Is he trying to mediate?"

"I guess so. I'm concerned he might push me to take Johnny back without rehab, which is taking Sal's position. I hate that I'll have to say no to Pops."

"Okay," Dad said. "I have something to tell you. Back in August, when you hadn't called home for almost two weeks, your Mom and the girls were worried. I went to the garage to ask Tony if he'd heard from Sal and if everything was okay in New York."

"I didn't hear about this."

"Yes, because I asked Tony to not tell you. I wasn't meddling. I was just checking in, as a concerned father."

"Okay. Why the secrecy?"

"He and I had a long talk over a beer. That man thinks the world of you. He said you're a smart kid, you're ambitious and hard-working, and we shouldn't worry about you. You'll be fine."

Joe didn't respond, so Dad continued.

"Tony said something funny. I laughed at the time, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized he was trying to make a serious point." Dad paused. "He said, 'Joe is the rocket ship and my kid is just the monkey astronaut going along for the ride. He said the band is yours. You run the show and those guys are just living in your dream."

"Well, I like the monkey astronaut line, because sometimes it feels that way. It seems I'm doing all the thinking for the band."

Dad put his hand up. "Don't let it go to your head. All I'm saying is... don't go into this meeting thinking Tony is on Sal's side. He's not. He's one of your allies."

---- THE GODFATHER ----

Joe worked on his project that night. He phoned the garage early the next day and told Pops he'd be there at noon. When he arrived, the band was seated at the kitchen table. Tony was cooking. Italian music was playing on the stereo, Boccuccia di Rosa. Pops usually played Sinatra or Dean Martin, but he had couple of Italian crooners he enjoyed, like Fred Buscaglione.

Joe nodded, didn't say a word, and took a seat at the end of the six-seat set. Pops took the seat opposite Joe.

"Thanks for coming back for this," Sal said.

"I'm here because Pops asked, not for you," Joe said coldly.

"That's enough with the attitude," Pops said. "We get it. You're pissed off at Sal. You can stop now. We're here to talk."

Joe immediately likened this sit-down to something the Italian mob might do to make peace between warring factions within the family. That would make Pops... The Godfather. Tony reached over and touched Johnny.

"You're up, Junior."

That's when Joe realized they had a gameplan and Johnny was to speak for himself. Joe thought that was a smart move. He was sick of hearing Sal's excuses but he was sympathetic towards Johnny. Also, Johnny was less likely to escalate should the talk not go the way they hoped.