All The Young Punks Pt. 44

Story Info
Punk rock Penny.
7.5k words
4.67
343
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

---- Punk Rock Penny is another example of my self-indulgence. It is a short story I wrote within ATYP that I recently considered cutting for purposes of reduction. I'm not good at reduction. Like part five, Whip It, this is a writing tangent I grew attached to. I could cut Penny from Joe's tale without affecting the larger story. Sometimes, as a writer, you know what works. Sometimes you swing and miss. That Whip It chapter is the highest-rated in this series, which supports my instinct that it should not have been cast aside. I applied that experience to Punk Rock Penny. Then I chose to rewrite her story as scenes in two chapters. ---

---- SEPTEMBER 1983 ----

When the airport limo arrived at Jones Street early on a Tuesday morning, Joe and Tina were waiting on the stoop. The large, frizzy-haired driver got out to take Joe's bags.

"Good morning, Lonnie." Joe greeted him.

"Morning, Joe," the wide Samoan nodded. "I hear we have an extra stop to make before JFK."

"Two actually," Joe opened the limo door. "I'll fill you in on the road. Lonnie, this is my girl Tina. T, this is Lonnie, Eddie Bag's best limo driver and baddest bouncer."

"I've seen you there," she smiled. "Hard not to."

"Nice to meet you, Tina." The broad-shouldered man shook her hand. "I recognize you too." motioning to her hair. "Hard not to."

Tina blushed, appreciating his repartee, and ducked her head to get in the limo.

Lonnie made the rounds, picking up Nate and Sal at The Hotel Chelsea and Simon at his place. He then drove to Brooklyn. When they arrived at their first destination, Lonnie honked the horn a few times and then climbed out to open the door. Joe and Tina exited the limo as Frank Costello came out first, then Aunt Lisa, with a smile. Joe looked up and saw Penny in the upstairs window.

The rest of the band exited the long Lincoln limo and walked up the front steps to join Frank and Lisa on the now-crowded porch. Joe introduced Sal, Nate, and Simon. As he did, they heard Penny flying down the stairs. "Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!" The front door flew open.

"Hey Pens," Joe smiled. "How ya doin'? I wanted you to meet the whole band. I'm not The Young Punks, we all are. He put his arm around her shoulder and faced the guys.

"Penny Anne Costello, this is Sal Mancuso on bass."

Sal took a bow.

"This is Simon MacManus on lead guitar."

Simon took her hand. "It's a pleasure milady."

"And finally, our beat keeper, Nate Gordon."

"Good morning. It's nice to meet you." Nate tipped an invisible cap.

Penny was lit up, her eyes and smile wide. She hugged Joe. "Thank you. This is so nice, but what are you doing here?"

"We're on our way to the airport and figured we'd pop by to say hello."

Frank was confused. "You detoured your JFK trip to come here?"

"Why not Frank? You're family. I know Penny has her first day of school today. She's short on time and can't hang out with us too long. So, the band would like to escort her to school in our limo..." Joe nodded. "With your permission."

"Oh, my god, yes! That will be so cool." Penny excitedly jumped up and down. Then she stared at Dad as if he could stop Joe from his mission of mercy.

Aunt Lisa's eyes misted up. Tina was feeling it too. Frank didn't have anything to say. As he stared at the four young men on his porch, he felt a lump in his throat.

"Don't cry Frank," Joe poked his arm. "My mates might think you're a pussy."

Laughs kept some tears at bay, but not all.

"He is a Yankee fan, " Sal chimed in. "I assume the pussy thing is a given."

"Whoa!" Frank said. "Are you the punk who pissed on the stadium?"

"In the flesh." smiled Sal.

Mom put her hand on Penny's shoulder. "Finish getting ready, you have fifteen minutes." She opened the door. "Please come in guys. I have coffee on."

The band crowded around the kitchen table with coffee while Tina helped Penny fix her hair and get ready for school upstairs. Mom and Dad were beside themselves thanking the band. Sal explained their motive.

"We have a problem with bullies," he gestured to Joe.

"You have a problem with bullies?" Frank was surprised that big, scary Sal was bullied.

"I didn't get picked on, but I smacked a few for picking on other weaker kids. Joe went through that shit too. In his case it was revenge."

"It hurt to hear about Penny's problem," Joe said. "I know how she feels. So we want to make a show about how cool she is. The band will walk her to class, or as far as we can until they stop us."

When it was time to go, Frank and Lisa hugged each band member trying to not be emotional. When they stepped outside, a dozen neighborhood kids were two doors down waiting for the school bus.

"Slow walk it, guys," Joe said. "Let them see Penny getting in the limo."

They strutted into the street and stood around the limo to soak in the stares of kids waiting for the bus in their new school clothes, including Janet Landry. Penny looked at her classmates, then climbed in, followed by Tina and the band. Joe went last, staring down the high school kids as his mates got in.

The ride over to the school wasn't long, Joe instructed Lonnie to park out front with the band's latest record blasting, tinted windows up, sunroof open to let the punk rock out.

"Don't get out of the car until we have a crowd wondering what's going on. I want as many eyes on this parade as possible. Lonnie, you'll stand outside the door for a minute letting everyone wonder who's inside."

He then explained in detail how he wanted to pull this stunt off. Penny was beside herself. "I can't believe this!"

"Pens, do you know what the warden, I mean principal looks like?"

"Yes, we had orientation a few weeks ago. Mr. Jackson."

"And the Vice warden?"

"Yes, there are three. I know what they look like."

"Okay, we all walk heads held high with the serious fuck-you-punk attitude and blow right past everyone. I wore my boots for this. Walk loud and they'll get out of our way." He looked at Penny. "We'll try to make your homeroom if possible. Are we good?"

Penny was getting emotional and trying to keep it together.

"Pens, you can't be weepy and a badass punk rock chick."

"This is so amazing?" she said.

"Take a deep breath," Joe said, taking his own breath. Penny followed his lead. He exhaled slowly. Penny copied him. Joe looked up front at Lonnie. "Did you just breathe too?"

Lonnie looked in the rearview and shrugged. "I'm getting choked up too."

"Do you think any kids will know us?" Joe asked Penny. "We're not that famous."

"The punk kids for sure, maybe some rockers, but not everyone." she made a 'sorry' face.

"Fuck them," Simon laughed. "Wankers."

"I feel like I'm going back to high school." Tina said lowly, "This is gonna be weird."

The limo rolled up on over a hundred kids in front of the main entrance, all heads turned to the stretch limo with punk rock blasting. School buses were unloading in an adjacent driveway. Kids exiting buses gawked at the commotion a short distance away. The big Samoan driver got out, walked around the car, and stood by the door looking very professional. Kids from farther away strolled over. The crowd size doubled in under a minute and students kept coming. All eyes were on the massive man. As the kids inched closer to the limousine, Lonnie put a hand up. They stopped. He reached for the door.

"Okay, let's do this," Joe said.

As Lonnie opened the door, the music got louder. Tina emerged first, and Lonnie took her hand. She got out slow and dramatic like a celebrity, flipping her blue hair back. He then helped Penny out of the car. She had her Young Punks Resistance tee shirt on. Lonnie kissed Penny's hand and passed her off to Tina. He then stepped back holding the door open wide.

Joe emerged first. He hoped playing their music might give someone a clue to who they are. So far, crickets. He stood beside Penny. Everything was done slowly. The crowd gathered closer, and students murmured in a low buzz. Then Nate followed Joe. Two girls called out to Penny. Simon followed Nate, looking at the kids moving closer with Billy Idol menace.

Finally, a boy in the crowd blurted out loudly, "It's the fucking Young Punks!"

'Whew, we needed that.' Joe thought. A few punk chicks and dudes pushed through the crowd to the front. A girl with green hair said, "Holy shit, the Young Punks are here!" Sal exited the car slowly and cooly. Lonnie closed the door and the seven stood tall, soaking up the attention of dropped jaws and googly eyes.

Joe looked at Lonnie. "Nice touch with the hand kiss."

He winked. "If it's okay, I'm going in behind you guys." Lonnie smiled. "This is pretty awesome. I want to see it all."

Joe nodded. Tina went forward with the camera. Joe pulled Lonnie into the frame. More kids called out to Penny.

"Okay," Joe said. "Give T your best badass punk pose."

They flashed their hand signs, sneers, and bad punk attitude. The crowd cheered as Tina clicked, clicked, and clicked again.

Lonnie reached out. "You get in the photo, Tina. I'll shoot some." They quickly switched places. Tina draped herself on Joe's side like a model, flinging her full blue head of hair back.

"Everyone, punk rock on three," Lonnie said. "1 - 2 - 3."

"Punk Rock!" they all shouted, including some onlookers.

"And we're good," Joe said. "Let's roll." He smiled at the scene they had created out of thin air.

Joe had already given marching orders in the limo. Penny was to guide them to her homeroom. Tina and Penny took four paces hand in hand, and the band followed. The crowd parted as if on cue. There were a few more "Penny" shouts as they moved through the students towards the entrance, boots clomping. They marched heads held high in full punk regalia, leather, studs, Sal's chains, denim, black boots, Simon's spiked hair, and a badass attitude that told everyone... 'Step aside.' Their driver walked close behind carrying the camera. The only ones smiling were Penny and Lonnie.

At this point, the mission was accomplished but the plan was to push as far as they could go before they were stopped by authorities. Joe wanted maximum exposure for Punk Rock Penny.

In the corridor, Penny led the way with all eyes on her and the punk crew. Most kids had no clue who they were, but it was a spectacle just the same. There was a gasp or two, "Oh my god that's The Young Punks."

Joe enjoyed the dumbfounded gapes and calls to Penny from her fellow freshman. They caused a ruckus. Kids came out of classrooms, some trailed in the band's wake creating a parade in the school corridor.

As they turned a corner. A teacher tried to stop them, "Excuse me, where do you think you're..."

The punk parade blew right by him. Another teacher just watched them march past her classroom. "Someone call Mr. Jackson."

Around another corner, they passed dozens of gawking kids at lockers. Penny put up her hand. "Stop. This is my homeroom."

Her smile was electric as she turned to Joe and the band. They gathered around her. Joe took a knee beside Penny. Lonnie was like a fashion photographer moving around clicking photos from varying angles.

"Penny, you're a smart punk rock girl. Keep your head held high with a badass attitude, even when you're not feeling it. And dye your hair any fucking color you want. Frank owes me." He winked at her.

She flung her arms around his neck and squeezed so tight it hurt. The guys and Tina moved in for a group hug, and even Lonnie leaned in. Her homeroom teacher came out to see what the commotion was; a youngish dude, with super short hair and spectacles. He tried to break up the group hug.

"Excuse me, can we get things under control here," he said as the band came out of their huddle. "Hey. I know you." He pointed at Joe. "You're The Young Punks."

Joe smiled and let that sit for a moment. "Yeah, we're here to drop off our good friend Penny Costello." He offered his hand to the teacher. "I'm Joe, pleased to meet you."

He reached out to shake. "I'm Mr. Jacobs. Leonard. I know who you are. I saw you at Gravesend a few times and at Flatbush Records."

"Well that's fucking cool," Sal said. He looked at Penny. "Your teacher is a fan too."

"Yes, it is cool," Joe said. "Then you won't mind doing the band a personal favor by making sure Penny has a great Freshman year."

Mr. Jacobs nodded. "I'll do my best."

"Fair enough," Joe smiled. "Thanks."

Principal Jackson arrived and was struggling to get through the commotion surrounding the band. He made the mistake of putting his paw on Sal's shoulder.

"What's going on here? Who are you?"

Sal turned fast and barked. "Hands off the leather, Warden!"

The principal leaned back, removing his hand.

"Nothing going on, sir," Joe said politely, "Except us delivering our friend to her first day of high school. It's a pretty big day so we made it special for Penny."

"You can't be here," protested Mr Jackson.

"But we are, kind sir," Simon said loudly, playing up his accent. "The Young Punks are definitely, bloody here."

"But you shouldn't..."

"We're leaving," Joe nodded "Our work is done." He leaned into Penny. "You have a great day Pens. We love you."

Penny hugged him. Tina hugged Penny. The guys waved goodbyes and they marched out of the path they came in as the homeroom bell sounded. The corridor cleared as the stomp of boots passed by. The music was still blasting in the limo when they got back outdoors. As the limo rolled off school property, they felt like the greatest band in the world, for a moment.

"That was amazing," Lonnie shouted as he drove away. "I'm so glad I was part of this!"

"Thanks guys." Tina said, "That was fun."

The band flew to Seattle, did two shows in Washington, two in Oregon, and then headed south to California. In the middle of their west coast swing, Joe called T from Los Angeles. She was in good spirits considering he had been gone for two weeks.

"Guess what I'm doing tonight?" She asked.

"I have no clue."

'I'm going to Frank and Lisa's for dinner and then I'm coloring Penny's hair."

"That's cool. She must be excited."

"Joe, you have no idea what that stunt did for her. Every kid in school knows Penny.

Frank and Lisa are so happy for her."

"Good for them."

"I have one regret about that day."

"What?"

"I was so proud of you. That night I wished I could have given you something extra special to show you how much I love you."

"I'll take a rain check."

---- LA LA LAND ----

"What are you doing?" Sal asked Joe after overhearing him say something to their bus driver.

"I'm renting a car."

"What for?"

"We're in LA for six days. I don't want to cruise the city in this beast. I want a convertible."

"If you get a convertible," Simon raised his hand. "I'm with you."

The band had arrived in LA the night before from a gig in San Luis Obispo. Before that, it was Santa Cruz and the Bay Area, Berkeley, San Fran, and San Jose. Three gigs in LA over six days had Joe feeling he needed to get away from this bus and his bandmates. He was okay with Simon tagging along, but he wasn't interested in Sal and Nate. They always wanted to do dumb shit, like strip clubs.

The Left Coast trip was going well. Their driver was okay. Roman was better than the old drivers with too many rules, but he was no Larry. Roman knew LA. He dropped Joe off at a rental car office near LAX with the plan to park The Whale in the lot of their first gig, one night away.

As Joe stepped off, he looked back. "I'll bring the car by later." Simon joined him. As Joe walked into the rental office, he looked back and exhaled. The bus was leaving.

"Thank you," he leaned on the counter. "I'm so glad Sal didn't get off. He's making me crazy."

"You're too bloody sensitive," Simon asked. "Yes, Sal can be a dick, but you let that get to you."

"I'm trying, Si." Joe looked up to see the rental agent. "Hey, what do you have for convertibles?"

An hour later, Joe was cruising up La Cienega Blvd toward Sunset Strip in a 1983 Mercedes 380SL convertible, soaking up the California sun. Simon looked over at him.

"I can't believe how much you paid for this."

"It's the fucking insurance!" Joe said. "They raped me because I'm not twenty-five."

Joe turned right on Sunset, going east toward Hollywood.

"Sal is gonna lose his shit when he sees this."

"I don't give a fuck." Joe looked over. "Are you hungry?

"Yes. I can eat."

"Mel's Drive is up here somewhere. Keep an eye out."

When Joe saw the two-seater Mercedes convertible was available, he jumped on it. That solved his Sal problem. He couldn't fit the whole band, and Sal wasn't a driver on the contract. Only Joe could drive. He and Simon had burgers, fries, and shakes at Mel's. When they met up with The Whale very late in the day at The Roxy, Sal bitched about the two-seater.

"This is the only convertible they had," Joe said. "And you didn't seem interested in a car."

"We want to get a bite to eat?" He gestured to Nate.

"What have you been doing all day? Simon and I had burgers."

Sal huffed and climbed back on the bus. Nate gave Joe a look of suspicion and followed Sal. Simon looked at Joe, shaking his head.

"You're a little prick."

"I need this for my sanity."

The following day, Joe and Simon spent the morning at Santa Monica Pier. From the pier, they watched The Whale enter the beach parking lot. They ran to the Mercedes and drove south to Venice Beach. That's where Joe felt the calm of the coast. He and Simon walked the Venice Boardwalk, taking in the sites, browsing the beach shops, the weirdness of California beach culture, the surfers, skaters, and street performers. Joe bought postcards and souvenirs for his sisters.

"How many postcards does she need?" Simon asked as Joe wrote his notes while having a beer at the Surfside Lounge near the Venice Pier.

"I've been doing this from the start. I've sent hundreds. Jeanie loves this. It lets my sisters know I'm thinking of them, always."

"You're sending three from Venice?

"I like this place. So each sister is getting her own postcard." Joe raised his hand to get the bartender's attention. "Can we do one more round?"

He looked around the bar. "This place is kinda sad. It's seconds from the beach and look at these guys."

"Where are the beach babes?" Simon asked.

"I was expecting surfer dudes and bikini girls," Joe said. "It's just a bunch of day-drinking old men."

After a day with Simon and a gig on Sunset Strip, Joe took Sal out for breakfast the next day. Then he cruised up the PCH, just to keep the peace. Nate got a top-down tour of Mulholland Drive on day three. Joe got his break from his band without shutting them out entirely. He had the car and he had control.

After three club gigs in LA, the band had one night off before a theater show in San Diego. Roman had a hotel room for the night, a perk drivers took advantage of when they needed to get away from the band. The following morning, Joe was awake very early after a late night partying with L.A. chicks in Santa Monica. Each bandmate paired up with a girl, and Joe was left with two short-straw girls, Susie and Tabatha. Everyone was drinking. The girls had weed. It was one of the best nights ever on The Whale. While Sal, Nate, and Simon retired to their quarters with beach-clubbing babes, Joe remained road celibate.

Susie was a smart and funny blonde with a nice rack who dreamed of being an actress. "I moved from Au Claire to LA and had no clue what I was doing. It was a culture shock."

"That's Wisconsin?"

"Yes. I love Au Claire, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life there."

"That's how I feel about Providence. I love my city, but I feel I've outgrown it."

Susie said she'd been in town for five years, did clerical work, and took acting lessons. She claimed to have been on a daytime soap and a Hallmark movie. Joe was drawn to her sweet girl-next-door quality.