Altering the Plans Ch. 03

Story Info
Maya and Toby make new plans and some progress.
10.3k words
4.86
8k
7

Part 3 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/04/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers

Content warning: this story features a main character who leaves an abusive relationship, and whose ex engages in harassment post breakup. I would characterize it, in terms of storytelling, as "mild", although I realize that no abuse is mild or justified.

Chapter 3

"Any plans for the day, Maya?" Lacey asked as Maya came downstairs. It was her day off, but Lacey had still risen almost before sunup.

Maya found that astounding. She could do it if she had to, but she preferred at least some sunlight before starting on her day.

"I'm going to take my camera and find some places to photograph," Maya said as she got some coffee, "and maybe look for a sewing machine." It would dig into her savings, and she had no current projects, but Maya missed having a machine around. Just knowing it was there and she could work on something if she wanted to always gave her a little sense of comfort.

It had been about three weeks since she'd broken up with Dean and Maya was feeling better, mostly. She liked living with Lacey and Krista, and no longer felt tense all the time. It irked her not to have a job, but she'd managed to make something of a routine, cleaning up after the others had gone to work and putting together a job search. Today, though, she needed to get out of the house.

"Would you mind some company?" asked Lacey. "I wouldn't mind getting outside for a bit. Sometimes it seems like all I do is get up, make coffee at work, then go to bed."

"That would be great," Maya said. "I was a little nervous about going out by myself. I know it's been a little while, and it's not too likely, but sometimes I worry I'll run into my ex."

"I don't think that's unreasonable, at all," said Lacey. "Chicago's a big city but it can be a small world. Have you seen him recently?"

"I don't know." Maya sighed. "Maybe. It's so frustrating. I don't know if I'm paranoid, but I swear I think I've seen him a few times. Just around. Like when I met you at the coffee shop last Tuesday. I thought I saw him but when I turned to look, he was gone. Or hadn't been there in the first place."

"That's rough," said Lacey, "and I don't think you're being paranoid. If you think you see him today, let me know." She smiled. "You're not alone, you know. We'll help."

"I appreciate that, a lot," said Maya. She did, but she didn't want her new friends dragged down into her problems. She hadn't told anyone that in the week or so it had taken her to get a new phone, Dean had kept up a steady stream of calls and texts until she'd blocked him. She'd answered once, out of habit, only to be hammered with a rant she couldn't even follow before she recovered and hung up. She shook her head to clear her thoughts.

Lacey changed the subject. "Say, do you care if the sewing machine is new or used?"

"I don't, as long as it does what I need," Maya said. "I wouldn't mind a good used one at all."

"Cool, I know some thrift shops. I know it's hit-or-miss with their stock, but it'd be worth a look. Plus I love looking in second-hand shops." Lacey gestured at the crocheted vest she wore over a blouse. "Can't say I have any real fashion sense, but with this at least I can say it's retro. Then it seems like I have fashion sense." She grinned.

Maya laughed. "Your fashion sense is just fine. I like second-hand shops, too. It was always fun to find clothes I could adapt into something else, or duplicate. I haven't been to one in a long time."

"Great, then. What time do you want to go?" Lacey asked.

"Anytime, I suppose. I don't have anywhere else to be today." She sighed. "Still working on finding a job."

"Don't worry about it," said Lacey. "You'll get there, and sometimes it just takes a while."

"I know, but I don't like feeling like I'm not pulling my weight."

"You're doing fine." Lacey smiled. "Krista and I really appreciate the help with cleaning and cooking. And if I may say so, you had a lot of things change quickly. I know my head would still be spinning."

Maya laughed. "You sound like my cousin, Allie. She said almost exactly the same thing."

"There, see, that's two in favor of you not being so hard on yourself," Lacey said. "Give me a minute, and we can head out."

Maya gathered her camera and equipment while Lacey got her jacket and purse. Outside, Maya took a deep breath of the cool, fresh air and reminded herself to enjoy the day.

"I love this little park," said Lacey. "It's almost never crowded and it's so nice. See, there's a gazebo, and a little pond."

"It's wonderful," Maya agreed. She couldn't wait to take some pictures. Sunlight fell softly through the trees, there were plants in and around the pond, and flowers around the base of the gazebo. "Let me just get myself set up."

Maya pulled out her camera and sorted through her lenses and found what she wanted. She chatted with Lacey as they followed the walking path, occasionally stopping to get some shots.

"I don't know how you get up so early," Maya said, squatting down to get closer to a bush. "I only do it when I can't sleep."

Lacey laughed. "A lifetime of habit. I was raised by my aunts for the most part, and they were firm believers in early birds getting worms. I used to get up and do my homework before school, at least until school started too early. Even I wasn't going to get up at four in the morning to do homework when I was in high school."

"I was more the type to do it as soon as I got home," Maya said. "Or at the library before I went home."

"Did you parents hassle you about homework?" Lacey asked.

"No." Maya shook her head. "My parents divorced when I pretty young, so it wasn't an issue there. When my mom remarried, I wanted to stay out of the way."

"Did you not get along with your stepfather?"

"I guess we had something of a détente," Maya said. "Mostly we left each other alone. I had hoped it'd be different, but Roger is not a warm and fuzzy type."

"Family can be tough," Lacey said with sympathy.

"Sounds like you've had some tough times yourself," said Maya. "You said your aunts raised you?"

"Yeah, they're terrific." Lacey smiled. "My father decided he didn't want a wife and kid, and then my mom decided she didn't want to be a single mother." She shrugged.

"Lacey, I'm sorry. That's terrible."

"Thank you. I can't say I didn't feel the loss, but my aunts were everything I could have asked for. They let me be angry about it all when I needed to, made sure I had someone to talk to. In some ways, I was pretty lucky."

"It sounds like you were," said Maya. She wasn't sure she could have seen the silver lining in such a situation.

"They let me be upset, because let's face it, that's a pretty shitty situation for a kid," Lacey said. "It's a difficult lesson to learn that you matter, when the people that you're supposed to matter the most to don't care. But they wouldn't let me dwell on it, or spiral down. They always let me know I mattered to them."

"I like that," said Maya. "And I'm glad you had your aunts."

"Hey, look at this," said Lacey. "I didn't know this was here." She pushed aside some vines to reveal a small statue of a mermaid with a plaque on the pedestal. "It's a little memorial, I think."

"Neat." Maya knelt down and took some shots. "Lacey, could you get next to it? Just so I can show some scale? You don't have to look at the camera."

"Sure, how's this?" Lacey knelt next to the statue and turned partly away.

"Perfect." Maya hit the shutter and snapped a few pictures in succession. She stood and reviewed the pictures. Lacey looked beautiful in the partial profile as she looked down at the statue, and Maya told her so.

"That's sweet of you to say, but I'm sure it's more the camera angle than me," Lacey said.

"You're too modest," Maya told her. "Say, what do you think of a little photo shoot?"

"With me?"

"Sure." May grinned. "Think of it as helping me practice. Seriously, though, I won't do anything with these and I'll delete them afterwards if you'd like. Just a few, and then we can find a thrift store."

"All right, I guess." Lacey hesitated, then nodded. "Yes, why not."

"I'd try to bribe you with coffee, but you get enough of that already. Okay, stand right there, and lean on the railing." Maya snapped more pictures, guiding Lacey through different poses.

"Do you ever work with film?" Lacey asked.

"Yeah, I've taken some classes, and learned how to develop and everything. I wouldn't mind having my own place with a darkroom someday, but digital is a lot easier." Maya took one last picture. "Okay, we can call it done now."

"That was fun. I've never modeled before." Lacey smiled. "You'll have to show me the pictures later."

"Sure." Maya yawned. "I think I'll be the one needing the coffee."

"We'll stop and get one on the way to the thrift shop," said Lacey. She nudged Maya. "I like to check out the competition."

With a latte in hand, and sugar in her system, Maya felt more awake. It had been a good day so far, she thought. For the first time in what seemed like forever, she'd been able to do what she wanted, without worrying what anyone else thought. There'd been no one to roll their eyes or heave big sighs when she stopped to compose a picture or study a scene.

It was an amazing feeling of relief. She realized she'd even forgot to worry if Dean was around, and put it out of her head since at this time of day, he should be at work.

"Thanks, Lacey," Maya said.

"You're welcome, and it's been fun." Lacey smiled. "With my schedule I don't always get to hang out with everybody." She stopped in front of a shop called Third Chances. "This is the place, let's go in."

Maya switched her backpack to her other shoulder and followed Lacey in. Like a lot of such stores, it was crowded, but it was clean and well-organized. There were lots of clothes and some housewares. Lacey wandered over to look at the jewelry while Maya decided to see if she might be able to find a sewing machine.

"Hello, can I help you?" A woman with dirty blond hair up in a bun, wearing jeans and a plain black sweater, came out from a back room.

"I was wondering if you might have a used sewing machine," Maya said. She slipped her backpack off her shoulder to hold it in her hand so she wouldn't knock anything over.

"No, I'm sorry." The woman shook her head and Maya noticed her eyes kept flicking to Lacey. "We tend to be primarily clothes and knick-knacks, that sort of thing."

"Sure, just thought I'd ask," said Maya. "Do you know of a store around here that might carry them?"

"No, I'm sorry," the woman said hurriedly and strode over to the cabinet where Lacey was browsing. "Can I help you?"

"No, thank you." Lacey smiled at the woman. "I'm just looking." She went back to browsing the jewelry.

The employee backed up a couple of steps and pretended to straighten a rack of shirts. Maya watched, eyes narrowed, as the woman stared at Lacey more than the clothes. When Lacey wandered over to a shelf with some decorative glassware, the woman moved to another rack and pretended to neaten that.

Maya walked over to Lacey. "Come on, we should go."

"Yes, you're right." Lacey nodded. "I don't like to be places where I'm not wanted."

"I don't like to be places where you aren't wanted either," said Maya. "I prefer places where my friends are welcomed, not followed."

The woman gaped as they left.

"I'm really sorry about that," said Maya.

"It's not your fault, and I'm glad for the backup," said Lacey. "That doesn't happen a lot, but it's always so frustrating when it does."

"I can only imagine."

"Let's find another store." Lacey pulled out her phone and did a quick search. "There's one a few blocks away."

"Sounds good." Maya yawned. "At this rate, I'll need more coffee."

"You should work at the store," said Lacey. "At least then you'd get an employee discount."

"You hiring?" asked Maya.

Lacey looked at her, surprised. "We are. Well, we almost always are, but yes, right now we are down a couple of people."

"Tell me where to apply."

"Really, Maya? I mean, I was kind of kidding."

Maya bit her lip. Perhaps Lacey didn't want to work with a roommate. "I was serious, but it's okay. I need a job. I appreciate the fact that you guys haven't pressed me, but I can't take it too much longer. I need a job partly just to keep myself from dwelling on things. But I understand, it's not always the best to work with friends."

"No, no, that's not it." Lacey shook her head. "I honestly wasn't sure if you were joking. But if you'd like, sure, come into the store tomorrow and we'll get things moving. Have you worked that kind of job before?"

"Yeah, for a while in high school and college," Maya said. "I'm sure I'm rusty but I think I could catch up."

"I'm sure you can. Come on, let's try this store and then get some lunch. I know it's a little early but I'm starving. The perils of an early breakfast."

By the end of the day, Maya was feeling better. She'd found a used sewing machine in almost mint condition and had bargained it down to an even lower price because the store owner wanted to clear out the space. With the prospect of a job on the horizon, she had a respite from her constant worry about replenishing her savings and inability to pay rent.

She wouldn't have done it without Lacey's help, she thought as she climbed into bed that night. Accepting help wasn't so bad, she was discovering, nor was offering it when she could. She'd have to remember that.

x-x-x-x-x-x

A week later, Toby was hanging out at Krista's place, waiting for Sunday dinner. Lacey's aunts would be joining them, and Jackson. If he made it on time, Toby thought.

"Toby, can you get the door?" Krista called from the kitchen. "It's probably Auntie Clara."

"Sure." Toby walked over as the bell rang again. He opened it and smiled at the petite black woman in front of him. "Hi, Auntie Clara."

"Hello, Tobias," she said with a smile of her own. She stepped in and raised her cheek. Toby obediently leaned down and gave her a kiss. "How are you, hon?"

"I'm fine." He closed the door behind her and led her to the living room. "Same old, same old."

"You have any new art?" she asked, peering at his arms.

"No, not lately," he said, then grinned. "When are you coming in for some?"

Clara gave a full-throated laugh and shook her head. "Tobias, you know I'm far too old for that sort of thing. What would people think?"

"Like you care what people think, Auntie." Lacey came in and hugged her aunt. "Where's Auntie Delia?"

"She'll be along. How's my favorite niece?"

"I don't know, I haven't talked to Michelle in a while," Lacey said.

Her aunt gave her a shocked look, then laughed. "You are so bad."

"Would you like something to drink, Auntie Clara?" Toby asked.

"I'd like a shot or three of whiskey." Clara dropped into a chair. "I just got through with a meeting at the arts council that I thought might not end until tomorrow. I was ready to go through the window. But I suppose I should start with water instead."

Toby came into the kitchen to get the water. "Hey, Kris. Dinner smells good."

"Thanks. Figured I couldn't go wrong with a chicken pot pie. Everyone seems to like that." Krista cleared some space on a counter and opened a tub of flour. "Now for the biscuits."

"You make the best biscuits," Toby said. He filled the glass with ice and then water while Krista rolled her eyes.

"You're just saying that so you can get an extra."

"Well, yeah, but can you blame me? I said they're the best."

"All right, you can have an extra one," Krista said and laughed at Toby's fist pump.

"Here you go, Auntie Clara." Toby handed her the glass.

"Oh, wonderful." Clara took several swallows, then gave Toby a mischievous look. "You forgot the alcohol, and I even gave you a blatant hint."

Lacey tsked. "Auntie Clara, you're terrible."

"Hi! I'm here! Hold back the crowd!" came a voice from the front door.

Toby, Lacey and Clara all shared a look. "Jackson," they said in unison.

Jackson walked in, with Maya on one arm and Auntie Delia on the other. "Look. I'm a chick magnet. What can I tell you?"

Maya and Delia both smiled, and the latter gave Jackson a peck on the cheek.

"Hi, Auntie Delia." Toby gave her the requisite kiss as he had Clara.

"Hello, Tobias." She squeezed his hand.

"And who is this?" Clara asked, looking at Maya.

"This is Maya Stone," said Lacey. She stood and put an arm around Maya. "She's our new roommate I told you about. Maya, these are my aunties, Clara Carmichael and Delia Woods."

"Hello." Maya looked a little dazed, but she held a hand out. "Nice to meet you, Miss Carmichael, Miss Woods."

"You can just call us Auntie, hon," said Clara. "Everyone does."

"All right, thank you. I'd like that." Maya nodded. "Excuse me, I need to hang up my coat."

Toby followed her out to the hallway, where a row of hooks hung on the wall by the door.

"Hi. Are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm fine," Maya said. "I'm sorry. I didn't know there'd be anyone here today." She slipped her jacket off and found a hook for it.

"Nothing to be sorry for." He shook his head, pleased that she was talking to him without appearing scared. He supposed she was getting used to him. "Lacey's aunts come every couple of weeks or so and we all have a sort of family dinner. They were on a cruise, though, so we haven't done it in a while. I thought Lacey or Krista would have told you."

"I see. That's nice that you all do that." She smiled and raised an eyebrow. "Tobias?"

He cleared his throat and averted his eyes. "Yeah. That's my full first name. They're the only ones that call me that, though."

Maya chuckled. "That's kind of sweet. I always wished I had a name you could make into a nickname. But my mom didn't go for that."

"Maya's a pretty name," Toby said. "I like it."

She blushed. "Thank you. Excuse me, I need to take my camera upstairs."

"Sure." He nodded and watched her go, then wandered back into the living room. That had gone well, he thought.

Krista pulled Lacey, Toby and Jackson in to help finish the dinner and table prep, and soon they were all sitting around the table.

"Wait," said Lacey. She glanced around the table. "Where's Maya?"

"She took her camera upstairs," said Toby. "I'll get her. Sit, Kris; you did all the work."

"Thanks, Toby."

Toby went up and knocked on Maya's door. "Maya? It's Toby."

"Come in."

He opened the door to see her sitting on the bed, her computer open and her camera to one side.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She looked puzzled. "Is something wrong?"

"No, it's just that we were all sitting down for dinner and you weren't there. I figured someone forgot to tell you," he said. "So here I am. Are you ready? Don't want it to get cold."

"Oh." Maya sat back and bit her lip. "I, um, I didn't know, I—"

Toby stepped in and closed the door behind him. "Is something wrong?"

Maya stared at the bed. "I didn't know if I was invited."

"To dinner?" Toby was stunned. "But, I mean, of course you are. It's your house." How and why would she think they didn't want her to come to dinner?

"That's nice of you to say, but it isn't really. I'm just trying to get myself together here, and it's taking longer than I'd like and—sorry. I'm rambling." She took a breath. "You said it was a family dinner, and I didn't want to intrude."

Wow, Toby thought. Someone's really done a number on her.

"Maya, you're not intruding. We want you to come." He thought. "You have to come or Krista will think I did something to upset you and then I'll be in trouble, and then she'll worry about you and you'll have to explain this all over again." He was glad to see Maya huff out a small laugh.

"Come on," he said. "Krista made enough chicken pot pie to feed an army, and her biscuits are fantastic."

PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers