All Comments on 'An Absence of Trust'

by coaster2

Sort by:
  • 276 Comments (Page 3)
laptopwriterlaptopwriteralmost 4 years ago
I don't like changing POV, but...

I didn't mind it that much in this story for some reason. Also, the constant change from past to present tense was awkward, but I still enjoyed the story and gave it 5*s.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

Great story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

Good story...

Don’t mistake my kindness for weakness

Don’t mistake my love for ignorance

Don’t confuse my accepting for condoning

Choosing the wrong path with me will provide you with the direction right out of my life.

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

Good story, just goes to show that honestly is the best policy which Edith couldn't bring herself to do. 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
My epilogue

In my imagination the happily ever after ending is that he falls in love with a woman with children & becomes a beloved grandfather.

GhostdogginGhostdogginover 3 years ago
Dead

I read the whole story but kind of checked out after finding out he was even considering a Raac after checking out her computer. As soon as he read those messages the relationship would have been deader than dead. To maliciously rob a man of being able to pass on his genetics just because you dont want kids while pretending you do is an absolutely horrible deceitful evil act. You dont do that to someone you love.

MormonJackMormonJackover 3 years ago
Awesome story - 5 stars

Loved the paragraph where Howard wasn't sure he wanted to be "that person" - the dominant, forceful one. Yeah... he needs to be himself. I thought it was a portend of the marriage failing.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago

Denying him children was a deal breaker as far as I am concerned. He needs to find someone willing to give him children.

Dlh143Dlh143over 3 years ago

That's what selfish, cheating whores get! But she still got off entirely too easy!

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Once again

One of my favorite, no burn, BTBs. This is just a great story of emotional loss.

JonDoe315JonDoe315about 3 years ago

the deception of not being able to give him children all those years was a dealbreaker and i am glad he left.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 3 years ago
Read it again. Still very good.

I was very impressed by the thought that the wife is one of those people who finds it difficult to impose limits on herself. It's not so much that she is evil as much as she is always searching for what she does not have. Some people only respond to external forces like her husband threatening divorce. Then she gets it. Until then, she is adrift in thoughts that she fails to anchor with core values and a greater sense of what she has and what she truly needs. I almost feel sorry for her. No matter how successful she is professionally, I doubt she will ever be able to direct her own life in a meaningful way to find happiness in who she is and what she has. She's a pitiful character.

Helen1899Helen1899about 3 years ago

Wonderful story full of raw emotion, so well written, 5*. I don't know were I stand on whether he was right or not. Who am I to judge on such an emotive subject, you can only judge if it's happening to you. Sadly I don't think he enhanced his life by divorcing her. The hurt regarding children would remain with him forever, with or without her. Would he meet another woman he loved like he loved her or one he could really trust, I am not sure that he would

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

This was one of the best written stories on LW. Excellent emotive contrasts. Obviously two mature humans going through a life-changing situation and not knowing where it will end. It ended as it should...she could not bare her marriage-long lie and he could not forgive her dishonesty. It makes me wonder what his reaction would have been if she had told the truth about her child-bearing. Would he have continued the marriage (under the new conditions) or still end it.

Two small points: Excellent editing and I never felt the urge to comment on any other story.

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraabout 3 years ago

Outstanding. Real people, making real mistakes and making real decisions off those mistakes. Well done!! One of the best ever!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

So Edie will get her lover(s) now but Howard will get his pride back. I wonder if his pride will keep him warm at night!

nixroxnixroxalmost 3 years ago

1 star.

The reason, from my point of view, is simple - LIES. Especially, regarding her decision to permanently destroy her ability to have a baby, without talking to him. That and her complete and utter selfishness. What the hell did she expect? I am surprised that you did not allow him to squeeze her for every last cent he was owed. She should have had a more tangible punishment for her lies - other than just her loss of him. It also would have turned out better if you would have allowed him to find a younger black woman and let them have two children. Then casually meet her and Ginny at some public outing, with Howard pushing a baby carriage. That would have been poetic justice and a worthwhile revenge.

numbnutz49numbnutz49almost 3 years ago

Painful to read as this story hit to close to home. Give some women opportunities to control something and they overwhelm and consume everything surrounding it. Great story but I couldn't rate it. But the fact that it has me thinking says it all.

secretsalsecretsalalmost 3 years ago

@nixrox: You're giving it one star because you agree with the reason that he divorced her, but missed the usual clichéd endings from other stories? Weird.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

good, well written Nice to see a black guy as the good guy (I'm white and well wrinkled ) I wanted her to tell him about Children and he then Divorced her.

Signed out as

PGUK

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Boring! The typical cuck cliche story! The brain dead wife says “I take a lover“ ... and is shocked when hubby is pissed ... Did anybody ever see this happening? I guess thus is only possible on planet cuck!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wonderful story, not a lot of anger and no meanness. He divorced her for something she did almost 30 years earlier, it definitely was unforgivable. She knew this was her chance to be totally honest, which was required to save the marriage, but she just couldn’t do it.

servant111servant111over 2 years ago

Excellent but one of the most depressing tales I have ever read. There is nothing left after all the talk and rumble but the sheer limitless desolation of the desert that her sociopathic betrayal engendered. What a future…

MightyheartMightyheartover 2 years ago

5/5, Huge betrayal.

Very well written.

Good to see a normal and good lack guy.

They are always portrayed as large cocked predators.

nixroxnixroxabout 2 years ago

4 stars - I liked this story BUT would you consider writing a story that includes this

- when the wife makes the statement that she wants to have a lover

- or she wants an open marriage,

- or she wants the freedom to find herself

The husband's only reply is 'FINE the divorce papers will be served ASAP'. Without another word, he packs all his stuff and leaves her sitting with mouth open in shock, wondering what just happened.

Helen1899Helen1899about 2 years ago

Was to sad to enjoy, but that's real life. There are no winners in cases of infidelity

Helen1899Helen1899about 2 years ago

Another stupid husband, who lived a lonely life because he couldn't forgive. She was obviously a real bitch doing what she did, an awful deceitful action. However he still loved her and they would have enjoyed a better end to their lives together than apart.

eljj546eljj546about 2 years ago
Oh what a tangled web we weave

When first she practiced to be a deceiving bitch.

FlynnTaggartFlynnTaggartabout 2 years ago

4 stars, not bad but a bit depressing. I know for certain if the marriage had survived Howard would have needed to have a talk with Edith about oversharing with Ginny. To me, perhaps I'm wrong, it seems a bit effed up sharing all their dirty laundry with a friend like that. But I'm partially glad the marriage didn't. Much as I like reconciliation endings I feel her secret about not wanting children was a bit too much to forgive.

AethurAethurabout 2 years ago

A beautifully sad tale. It's a shame that Howard didn't pursue finding someone new. He would have been an old father, but he could have pulled it off. Hope you return to posting stories, Coaster. It's been far too long.

5*

iameaseliameaselabout 2 years ago

Very well written and sad story.

Hubby may have been a bit more hard nosed than need be, but the end did fit the crime. Thats a lot of years to lie to someone when you claimed otherwise way back when. That would hurt any one, even the phony alpha males around here.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A great treatment of the importance of complete honesty between spouses. Thanks for the effort.

Ed

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Powerful, sad story. Beautifully written. Thank you.

Ed

marshamaymarshamayalmost 2 years ago

Very sad. No one to blame but herself.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Edith is a pathological narcissist and always will be... Howard will find a new a fulfilling life and move on.

BlueEyd2BlueEyd2almost 2 years ago

Good story, but not 5 stars. The ending had little emotion in what should have been a very emotional breakup.

Also some great examples of disrepect and of course distrust. But still I was surprised when she just gave up in the end. No effort to try marriage counseling, but then again, she refused Ginny's counsel.

Lastly, based on how you wrote it, I doubt the marriage would have survived even if she told the whole truth.

BlueEyd2BlueEyd2almost 2 years ago

The whole premise that she couldn't get pregnant due to a medical condition when it was really due to her being on the pill is ignorant and idiotic. I can't believe he/they never went to Dr's to work to find a solution.

But be that as it may, there should be no coming back from that level of betrayal.

JimmyThePlungerJimmyThePlungeralmost 2 years ago

Such a sad story leaving 2 people who clearly still love each other lonely and expecting to remain so. I find the straw that broke the camels back, the long held secret betrayal entirely believable as the reason Howard could not reconcile. I end up sorry for both, albeit Howard is more deserving of my pity. Well written, thank you.

parenthesisparenthesisalmost 2 years ago

Good story, but I found the ending rather lacking.

Kudos on having a BFF being sensible for a change. Pure fiction of course since that certainly doesn't happen in real life!

WargamerWargamerover 1 year ago

The conniving manipulative bitch got what she deserved, l hope she suffers til the day she dies.

I especially hope she dies alone and shunned.

As to Howard, l hope he finds himself and thrives. He is far better off from such a woman.

What a lowlife bitch she was.

Second time around, excellent story. Scores 5/5 still.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Seriously, if she’d confessed to denying him a family he craved he would have forgiven her? Not a chance in hell!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Take as much alimony as you can get from her higher income, start your own business, and find a 21 year old church girl who desperately wants to be a mother.

Helen1899Helen1899over 1 year ago

Another stupid male, a person who would rather live a lonely miserable life than accept only he is perfect. Sadly in this world most people have flaws, we aren't perfect. Ok what she did was reprehensible, but if she had admitted it, he would have made a go at saving their marriage, but who can blame her for thinking what she did. She was also stupid about wanting a lover, but give her some credit, she was honest about it and never cheated and I bet she had numerous opportunities in her work and socialising life. Thankfully it seems she will live a happy life with Ginny, slowly over many years he will become but a distant memory. Whereas he will go to his grave thinking constantly about Edie, his self centred ego took centre stage over his heart, he would rather be lonely and miserable his pride intact, how sad.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A very honest handling of the emotions. I didn't feel that there was an adequate explanation of the initial issue. It felt like it was simply a springboard into the aftermath.

Often there is someone already in line or at least blain it in aging.

I like that they split agreeable, that happens more often than Literotica would make you believe.

I gave it five stars because it was a real treatment of the emotions involved.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Where did this understanding and sincere Ginny come from? Such a close and sincere friend, confidante remains, for unknown reason, a secret carefully hidden from her husband? Why? Or is the author hinting at a lesbian relationship? It seems, after all, Edith always emphatically claimed that she had not had another man during her marriage. Smells mixed woman`s love juices... And this instant joint cruise after the divorce? And the rejection of any other men?

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

about 1 page too long, too "talkie" without saying anything.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You know...there are so many stupid bitches in the world.

Take Helen1899 posting about a month ago.

According to her...what the wife did here was totally forgivable. And the husband was just a stupid male for not being able to just accept the shit sandwich this cunt of a character served up to him.

Except...what she did early on in their marriage when she unilaterally decided that she would deny him the chance for children and grandchildren and a large family. For her own selfish reasons.

It really was a despicable horrific thing for her to do. Unforgivable. In my book...as soon as I would have found that out? I'd have burned the stupid bitch with zero chance of reconciliation.

But according to Helen...it should have just been forgiven so he didn't live a lonely miserable life.

Uhh...I got news for you Helen.

He has enough money to love comfortably for the rest of his life...in the south of France. He's in great shape. Good looking. Intelligent. Perceptive. Well educated.

I doubt he's miserable for long living in Southern Europe. He'll have plenty of "company" as soon as he wants it dummy.

Just like you said about her...in a few years? She'll just be a distant memory that will fade with time. Especially when he finds a pretty French widow in her 40s to keep his bed warm at night.

He won't even remember what his lying cunt of an ex-wife even looked like.

He's better off living without a woman who would betray her husband and marriage like she did for selfish reasons.

She got what she deserved.

You fuck around...and you get what you deserve. She found out the hard way.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

coaster2:

Can you explain the purpose of the story?

I see none. It was not all that entertaining. Instead of soul-lifting, it was soul crushing.

The reader walks away with now hope, no encouragement, just evidence of a corrupt world and sadness.

I will not rate. If I rated how much I liked it on a 1 to 5 basis, it would be a negative 20. You wasted my time.

Sorry Dude, I trusted you and I was mistaken.

Lesson Learned

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Loved the story. Disillusioned wife spent too much time reading her press clippings, got all high and mighty, thought she could have her cake and eat it too. She treated her husband like a valued pet; he would always be there, loving her unconditionally, making no demands of his own, just thrilled to be part of her life. She was wrong.

.

He'll be fine. He might even find a loving woman who's still of childbearing age. There are a LOT of middle aged women looking for a trustworthy, handsome guy of means. Yeah, he won't be lonely for long. The wife too, good-looking, wealthy, she'll have her suitors. But she hasn't changed, she just thinks she approached it wrong, so I don't see a lot of happiness in her future. 5 stars. Thanks for posting.

Rock82Rock82over 1 year ago

I liked, for the most part, this story. In my aged mind, I feel there is a great effort to paint the action and effect on the various moves and decisions made by all parties. l and yet, in the end, which is the place where the entire story comes to a point and is explained, it was far too concise, too simple and does in no way do justice to the way you laid out so nicely the complexity of the story before it.

She goes on and on in her proposed life change, neglecting to be 100% truthful. He simply says the divorce papers will be drawn up, without letting her know hefully knows her deceit. She laments her position to her friend and he is driving around in France. What happened here to the complete change in your wrighting and careful character mounding. They seemed to have had a love and passion for each other, but there is fight to get back together. Strange.

It would seem you tired of this and just shut it down to start another story. BTW: I have already read several stories listed before this and think you did an outstanding job. I think that's why I was a bit shocked this was so abrupt in it's end.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Well Jeez, this was one hell of a story. I appreciate that neither side was made to look monstrous and that both characters' sides were shown. I come to this site for short spicy stories and it's always a pleasant surprise when I stumble across a well written, short drama.

skruff101skruff101about 1 year ago

Robbing a family oriented man of a family has divorce plastered all over it, even if she had confessed too much damage had been done for the marriage to survive.

ironman1017ironman1017about 1 year ago

She trusted Ginny more than she did her own husband. He gave her every chance to tell him. Hell, Ginny even said to tell him. Even to the end she thought she knew better than everyone else.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

I disagree with anonymous 3 months ago about neither husband nor wife being monstrous. Edith was a monster. She deprived her husband of his most important desire intentionally and fraudulently by pretending she could not have children if she had not prevented it. She showed no remorse at all for preventing her husband from having the family they had agreed to have. Not once did she express a feeling of guilt for her deceit or sadness for her husband she caused by her lying and selfishness.

anon.1

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Her betrayal and lies about wanting children but denying him that gift without the truth is far worse than any short fling. He acted appropriately.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Edith, just another selfish spiteful and deceptive white bitch! No sympathy for her!

He deserves a better life now, no wallowing in misery caused through a selfish bitch wife

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Absolutely no way to continue the marriage. She's a modern woman. They don't need men.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Fatal Hubris. Another one of the great things the Greeks taught us, and we're less cautious of it than ever. This is a genuine, interesting, and emotionally evocative story, which is written without the over-the-top histrionics that ruins so much fiction in this place.

fredbrownfredbrown10 months ago

We never know what the hell is going on in the little wifie's head do we? Is she at fault? Yup! We are all individuals and faulty as hell and little ole me would be a headliner if all my faults were published in the paper. This tale is a solid 5-star but sadly, she's dug a hole too deep to climb out of ......

MasterKoteMasterKote10 months ago

Pretty good and going to nitpick why he didn't say anything say after 5-10yrs of marriage about having a family.

Schwanze1Schwanze110 months ago

Took him long enough. Find a 30 year old Filipina with one child, make a couple more and enjoy life.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Once again the need for total trust respect and honesty is needed to make a marriage work They had it all except those three things (jaybee186)

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

So what started all of this was her desire to have another man yet when the husband leaves she has no desire for any men in her life? WTF? She doesn't have to get married again but instead she says she will just be lonely?

FluidswallowerFluidswallower9 months ago

A well-told tale in spite of being such a sad tale. Sad hut enjoyable it kept my rapt attention. Thanks.

nixroxnixrox9 months ago

4 stars - Yes, this BITCH was about a selfish as I have ever seen on this website. I can't get over the fact that the husband let the wife go past age 30, without at least attempting to adopt a child. Although, tubal ligation operations are in and out in one afternoon - there is an incision/stitches, plus a scar and 4 weeks of recovery. How could she get that done without his knowing? There are a lot of holes in this story.

Have a nice day.

deependerdeepender8 months ago

Every time I read one of these with a sudden 180 I wonder if the author has experienced anything even remotely like it in rl. I know that not everyone has the ability to read other people's unspoken desires and intentions, but how can anyone live with someone for 27 years and end up saying "I never knew ye"? And if they do end up that way whose fault is that? The other person went along for the same 27 years being who they are, utterly revealing themselves and their true nature perhaps grudgingly but no less completely over time. How can there be a story in that? Every single such instance must end in the amazed one realizing their mistake (their many mistakes for failing/refusing to react) and then just driving off into the night. Is there a story in watching someone weeping and wailing, thrashing about gnashing their teeth? Maybe, but it's not one a person needs to read more than once.

remb95remb957 months ago

/Enjoyed it but some of her actions are twisted. 4

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Very wonderful story. Nothing exaggerated nor unnatural in the dialogue . Sorrow for the wasted time and destruction of what could have been except for the wife's selfish deceit.

funperson969funperson9693 months ago

Well written, but a few inconsistencies cut the legs out from under it. 1. Why, out of left field, with no warning signs, her demand to get a lover? 2. Why, for almost 30 years, did she hide her #1 friend from him? 3. Why, when she can so easily see and talk to Ginny, does she leaves this trail of one-sided emails to her? Still, the writing of what's put into the plot pot is excellent. Thanks for writing.

usaretusaret3 months ago

A stupid woman, knew the answer and too full of pride and fear to give it.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

And so the sun sets once again on another failed marriage. Well done! 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Started out ok with a fizz finish

30 years wed and he never cracked a angry rant

Just a 1 vote

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Another selfish bitch, for a while there I was thinking she had an alternate persona or some such. Either way she was a head case.

TrainerOfBimbosTrainerOfBimbosabout 1 month ago

While I understand the need for the "big dark secret" for you to arrive at the ending that you wanted to write, I kind of think it was a really dumb secret specifically. Earlier in the story, you intimated that Edie was more or less a stay at home wife before she figured she couldn't have kids and ONLY THEN went into business. Because of this, her motivation to not have children doesn't make sense - like she didn't seem particularly ambitious or driven and if indeed she was just lazy and didn't want kids, then why would she go out and work so hard? The action basically doesn't really line up with the characters perceived personality and motivations.

<>

Still, it was an OK story. A bit melodramatic, but that's par for the course in this section of the website.

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

KMN!

AnonymousAnonymous11 days ago

At 50, Howard is still young enough to have at least one child. There is no time like the present.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous