An Ode to Uncertainty Ch. 25-26

Story Info
The Emperor's Ball.
6.3k words
4.7
2.9k
3

Part 19 of the 19 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/24/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ACDawnes
ACDawnes
64 Followers

Twenty-five

"I cannot believe that we are late for the Emperor's Ball," Else fumed.

Jarl sighed. It was not his fault that his disaster of a wife had spent five bells having an army of maids doing her hair. And it wasn't his fault that there had been an overturned carriage at the bridge over to Palace Hill.

"Are those men setting fire to that building?" Jarl said looking over at a dozen men carrying torches.

There was something truly strange going on in the city. Jarl was sure he had seen a dozen mobs roaming the streets and more than once their guards had had reason to draw their swords to make sure the carriage got the right of way.

"I do not care if they are setting fire to the entire city. We are not stopping. Oh, by the Seventh. I am sure that the first dance has already started. The disgrace," Else moaned.

"Oh. Just shut up. If you only could be useful and suck my cock," Jarl sighed.

The inside of the carriage went utterly silent. Jarl felt Else's burning gaze on his face.

"I said that out loud, didn't I?"

More silence.

"Do you honestly think I would ruin my face and hair to satisfy you," said in a tone cold enough to shatter a mountain. "The face and hair that took the last two bells−"

"Five bells," Jarl interjected.

"The last two bells," Else repeated, her words jarring Jarl's teeth. "Only so that we could get your embarrassment of a rod to finally give us a rest?"

Jarl sighed. Yes. That was exactly what he wanted. Some relief. Even though it was over a week since he had last been with the Mistresses, his cock still ached constantly when it went more than a few bells between releases. The only thing, other than a woman, that gave relief, was working magic. And he was not allowed to do that here, outside of College Hill. It would take another five years until he could legally practice magic in the presence of outsiders. In a way he envied the Matrimancers that could practice their arts at the parlors already in the first year.

"Well. You can't go to the Emperor's Ball like that," Else spat.

Jarl looked down at his proud member that tried its best to escape the dark fabric of his dress pants.

"It's not my fault," he croaked, despising how childish it made him sound.

"You."

Jarl looked up. Else hadn't been talking to him. One of her handmaids that were seated across from them stared in horror at his wife.

"Yes, mistress?" she whimpered.

Jarl wasn't sure he had seen her before. She was a raven-haired girl with an angular face, not too pretty, but not ugly either. Else went through handmaids faster than he went through clean shirts in a summer afternoon. And he never did keep track of Else's handmaids in the first place, at least not their faces. He tried looking at her ass, maybe he had had her once or twice from behind? He wasn't sure.

"Well. What are you waiting for girl? Make yourself useful."

The handmaid blushed fiercely.

"Go on. Relieve my husband with your mouth. And makes sure that none of his seed stains his pants. We are disgraced enough already."

The handmaid swallowed audibly and after another angry glare from Else she got down on her knees in front of Jarl. The other two handmaids did their best to look out the windows as the girl took Jarl's flesh into her mouth.

"Now. Don't make a fool of yourself tonight," Else said looking down at the girl pleasing him. "I am intending to climb the ladder of Eldor society, and I can't do it if you keep making yourself look like an fool."

Jarl sighed, partly in pleasure, partly in disgust. He closed his eyes and focused on the young woman's lips around his shaft. The carriage rocked into motion again, and the girl's face was pressed against him, making his flesh push deeper into her mouth. And it felt so good. He grabbed the girl's head and tried to shut out Else's nagging voice as she kept on about some noble or other. It felt like it took an eternity before he finally released his seed into the handmaid's throat.

***

"Here. Drink."

Jarl took the cup that Master Cerdic offered him and put it to his lips. It tasted strange. But it also tasted strong. Which was just what he needed right now. It had taken another half a bell to get to the palace gate, and yet another to get to the ballroom. Else had been furious when she realized that not only had they missed the first dance; it was well into the second as they entered.

She had disappeared a few drops ago saying something about a countess that she just had to meet with. Without him. He didn't mind being left on his own one single bit. He had been standing by a table when the Master found him.

"Bad princess day?"

Jarl nodded. Master Cerdic was probably the only person in the world who was fully on his side with regards to Else. Even Mirja had seemed to take his wife's side lately. He took another sip of the drink. By the Seventh, this stuff had a kick!

"What is this?" Jarl said holding his cup up.

"My own concoction," the Master said with a smile and a wink. "Nothing better."

Jarl nodded in agreement and took another sip. He looked out over the ballroom dancefloor. A few dozen couples were spinning around out there, but the size of the room made it look almost deserted. Then he spotted Sigrid. She was twirling around a tall man in a dark robe, similar to the one Master Cerdic was wearing. It took him a moment to recognize Master Olgric.

He blinked. The Sister looked absolutely stunning. Her red hair flowed over her shoulders and Jarl thought he could see a smile on her face. His hand went down to his crotch, grabbing his single remaining testicle. For some reason he was not even angry with her. She was the first one who had ever come through on a threat, and it strangely enough made him respect her more than before. And it wasn't like he was missing it. His cock seemed to work fine with the single one.

It had apparently taken him days to realize it was gone. In fact, it had been Mistress Varja who had made the discovery. When Jarl confronted Sigrid about it, she had pulled out the pendant and simply said. You should be more careful.

She caught him watching her and from then on, her gaze settled on him every time that she spun around. And her smile was gone. Jarl sighed and turned to Master Cerdic.

"Great stuff," he said downing the last of his cup. "Got any more?"

***

The bells struck ten. Jarl had downed another two cups of the Master's drink. And the room was spinning in a most satisfactory way. The Master was over by one of the large pillars and talking to a woman in a sparkling green dress that looked strangely familiar, but Jarl just couldn't place her. She did have a large ample bosom that drew Jarl's attention.

He walked across the floor over to the Master and his friend. Some people were in his way, but they were much smaller than him so they either fell over or got out of his way the best they could. He thought he heard a few curses, but he was beyond caring.

"Who is your friend," Jarl said leering down into the woman's cleavage, then up at her face.

Jarl blinked. She looked eerily familiar. Like someone out of a dream.

"This is my friend from the east," Master Cerdic said. "This is prince Jarl of the Stormpikes and the Wild Ranges."

"A pleasure to meet you," the woman said with a wide smile.

Jarl blinked again. He was so certain that he had met her before. But he still couldn't place her.

"The pleasure is all mine," Jarl said his eyes once more dropping to her breasts.

He felt himself stiffen and cursed under his breath.

"More?" Master Cerdic said, holding up his bottle.

Jarl nodded and let the man pour him a full cup which he promptly downed. The room began spinning a bit faster. Turning around he saw Sigrid standing with her arms crossed, not five paces away, glaring at him. Jarl sighed. He turned around and suddenly found himself in a hallway surrounded by people smirking, smiling and talking in low voices. Looking down he saw his cock in the quim of a servant girl bent over a table, his pants were around his ankles. He shrugged and grabbed her hips and thrust hard into her. He smiled over at a noblewoman who blushed fiercely, covering her face with an intricately pattered fan. Looking back down at the bare ass of the servant girl, he grabbed her hips and upped his pace until he finally roared out his delight and filled her up.

"Are you happy now?"

Else was pinching his ear and dragging him down a corridor. His pants were up again. Jarl blinked, trying to get his bearings.

"You just can't seem to keep your dick out of trouble, can you now?"

Jarl tried saying something, but his speech was so slurred that he couldn't even understand it himself.

"Can you. For my sake. Keep your dick in your pants for the rest of the evening? Is that too much to ask?"

Jarl shrugged. They tumbled out into the ballroom again. The floor was filled with people once more. Else dragged him onto the floor. This time by his hand.

"Dance," she said putting her hands on his shoulders.

This at least Jarl could do no matter how drunk he was. The room spun again. Partly from the alcohol. Partly from the dancing. He saw Sigrid flash by now and again. And then. There he was. Jarl froze. Else stumbled almost falling, just barely managing to stay on her feet by grabbing Jarl's arm.

"You!" Jarl growled walking over the dancefloor.

***

The evening had gone surprisingly well until Jarl had arrived. Sigrid had almost been able to imagine herself fitting in. Now her charge was here. And the illusion broken. She had a job to do.

She tried keeping Jarl in sight, which proved to not be as simple as she thought. The prince had been standing talking to Master Cerdic and Irese. Sigrid had been scanning the room once more for threats and when she turned back around Irese had been whispering something in Master Cerdic's ear. Jarl was gone.

Sigrid cursed under her breath, excused herself to Master Olgric, and looked frantically at the dozens of finely clad nobles that were spinning around nearby. She looked back at where the Master and Irese had been standing. Now Irese was there by herself and Sigrid could see the Master disappearing through the crowd.

There is something strange about that man, she thought and hurried after him.

In the end she lost him too. And she had no explanation how. He turned a corner and was gone.

Magic. By the Seventh, I hate magic.

Half a bell later she found Jarl in one of the hallways that went around the large ballroom. The hallways were filled with nobles that wanted to get away from the big room to talk somewhere quiet. Jarl had a small crowd surrounding him and as she pushed her way through, she was met with the scene of Jarl having his way with a servant girl with half the court looking on. Sigrid sighed. And watched. Then she saw Master Cerdic again. He was on the opposite side of the little gathering, his eyes fixed on Jarl. Sigrid studied the old man. Everyone else in the crowd was watching the scene. But not Master Cerdic. No. He was watching Jarl. Not the girl. Not their coupling.

"By the Seventh!" Jarl roared and spasmed, filling the young woman with his seed.

A few of the noblewomen giggled. Master Cerdic just nodded in satisfaction. There was a commotion at the other side of the gathering and princess Else appeared. She looked absolutely livid. The gathering dissembled and a moment later Sigrid was following the unhappy couple down a corridor. The princess was dragging Jarl behind her by his ear. Sigrid did not feel sorry for him. After that she kept close by not to lose him again.

***

Jarl was fuming. The Idiot just stood there looking stupid as usual. Next to him was an older woman that Jarl had never seen before.

"I know that you are laying with my wife," Jarl growled pointing a finger at the Idiot. "I'm not as stupid as you think."

"I have never lain with your wife, good sir. I do not even know who you are!"

Jarl felt his temper flaring from smoldering to a roaring bonfire.

"Do you want me to smack you up. Here. In front of everyone? I will, if that's what you want. I should just have killed you last time around."

"You are completely insane. I have no idea who you are!" the Idiot said, his eyes wide.

Jarl felt the fury build in his chest. Someone was grabbing his arm, but he just pushed them away. The man just stood there. Refusing to even acknowledge him. Jarl clenched his fists. He had hated this man from the very first time he had seen him. And now he was playing some kind of game with him? Making him look the fool.

"Say that one more time and I will rip you apart. Limb from limb," Jarl said, spittle hitting the Idiot's feet.

"Just calm down. You are behaving like a fool," the Idiot said, raising his hands.

Jarl took one step forward.

"Guards!" the Idiot shouted.

Jarl just shook his head. Then there were arms grabbing him from behind. The surge of power from the ground below him pushed the air out of his lungs. He squeezed his eyes shut. Liquid splattered against his face and in his mouth, tasting like iron. The power subsided and he opened his eyes once more. Where the Idiot had stood a moment before now stood a wide, marble pillar tapering upwards. Blood ran in rivulets down the smooth, white stone. Jarl drew a breath. Around him people were screaming. The arms still held him tight from behind, forcing him down to the ground. Jarl raised his head and saw the man impaled on the top of the marble spike that stood thirty feet tall in the middle of the room. The man's body was split in two.

***

Sigrid tried to make sense of what she had seen. The old man impaled upon the marble spike looked familiar somehow. She had tried making her way to Jarl but dozen guards were upon him, pushing him to the floor. Another dozen had formed a ring around the melee, hindering anyone from coming close.

All around people were screaming. Sigrid looked over the room towards Master Cerdic. He was at the back of the room towards the wall. She started making her way towards him, going against the stream of people trying to get out of the ballroom. Then he saw her and turned pale.

I saw what you did. I know it was you, she thought pushing aside a fine lady making her tumble in a clutter of silk and lace. Sigrid almost stumbled herself. She leaned down, the corset making her gasp, and pulled her ridiculous high-heeled shoes off and started running.

The Master fumbled inside his robe and pulled out a flask that he quickly downed. And then he was gone. A shiver ran through Sigrid. She pulled out the compass from inside her dress. The little needle vibrated. Pointing straight towards the spot where Master Cerdic had stood a moment earlier. Then it shifted to the right.

Of course, Sigrid cursed. I should have known.

Pushing past more flailing nobles she ran towards the door that was closest to the right of where the Master had disappeared, glancing down at the compass as she ran.

He's still moving.

Her hands went to the place where her longdaggers should have been but came up empty.

"By the Seventh!" she cursed pushing past a guard that was heading towards Jarl.

She grabbed at the guard's belt and got his dagger out without him noticing. The prince was still shouting loudly behind her.

At least he's still alive. And now I've got a weapon and I'm coming for you Cerdic.

She ran down a long corridor with gilded doors every twenty feet. Just as she rounded a corner, she ran straight into someone. Ducking her head down she got up.

"Sigrid."

Sigrid looked sideways at the woman in the green dress.

"Irese. What are you doing here?"

The courtesan reached a hand up. Sigrid grabbed it and pulled her friend up off the floor.

"I should ask the same of you," Irese said flattening out her dress.

"I'm looking for Master Cerdic. Have you seen him?"

Irese nodded slowly. A strange look coming over her.

"Yes. He went that way," she said pointing towards a door down the hall. "I'll help you look."

Sigrid looked at the courtesan. Irese would only slow her down, but for some reason she couldn't say no.

"Come," Irese said walking towards the door.

Sigrid pushed past her.

"Stay behind me," she said feeling the handle of the door.

Locked. She glanced down at the compass. It was pointing straight at the door.

"Stay back," Sigrid said, taking two steps back, preparing to lunge.

"Wait! That door opens outwards," Irese said, putting her hand in her hair and pulling a pin out. "Allow me."

Sigrid raised an eyebrow as the courtesan went down on her knees and put the pin into the lock. Moments later it clicked open.

Hidden talents, Sigrid thought as Irese stood up once more.

"Stay behind me," Sigrid said, taking a step towards the door.

"What do you want with Master Cerdic? And with a dagger?" said with a concerned look on her face.

"It was him who killed the old man. I saw it. I saw him moving his arms and mouth, just as Jarl does when he calls the earth. He's trying to frame the prince."

Irese stared at her.

"Now. Stand back. He's dangerous."

She opened the door and stepped inside. It was dark, but after a few moments her eyes adjusted. She took a few steps forward, trying to feel the movements of the air.

"Sigrid," Irese said from behind her.

"Not now," Sigrid hissed.

Irese put a hand on her shoulder. Sigrid spun around, the irritation growing inside her.

"Not no−"

There was a screaming in Sigrid's head as the razor-sharp blade was pushed in under her sternum. She knew that voice. The blade withdrew and with it the screaming voice.

"I'm sorry," Irese whispered and kissed her brow. "I did try to find another way. But there is none."

Sigrid looked up into the other woman's eyes. She saw the truth there. Irese was telling the truth. She truly was sorry. It didn't stop Sigrid from wanting to kill her. The dagger she was holding tumbled to the floor, clattering loudly. She tried reaching for it, but her hand refused to move. She glared down at the traitor limb and tried to spit at it but all that came out was a froth of blood.

"I have to go now," Irese said standing up slowly. "There is so much still to be done."

Bitch, Sigrid thought as the darkness took her.

Twenty-six

"Are you sure they will let us in," Mirja whispered, then a giggle bubble up from nowhere.

The sparkling wine had gone straight to her head. It was the first time she had tasted anything like it. And it was wonderful.

"Just leave the talking to me," Leopold said as they walked up to the guards.

The two armed men stood on each side of the heavy oaken door, staring straight ahead. As Mirja and Leopold approached, the guards put their hands on the hilts of their swords. Still not looking at either of them.

"The lady and I would want to see the throne room. My uncle, the archduke Wissgretch, would be most dissatisfied if he heard that we could not gain access."

The two guards exchanged a glance. Then they looked at Leopold and nodded curtly, letting their hands fall to their sides. Leopold grabbed Mirja by the hand and dragged her after him. The door slid open quietly and they stepped into the long room. The door they had entered through was just at the base of the dais on which the throne stood. The room was dimly lit by a dozen orbs of light hanging far above. Mirja had seen them before in the College. These were the ones with variable strength. Somewhere there would be a control to let more power flood into them from the underground conduit. But for now, the lighting was perfect. At the other end of the room she saw two huge doors with the crest of the emperor inlaid in silver and gold.

"We shouldn't be here," Mirja said in hushed tones.

"But now we are," Leopold said taking her into his arms and kissing her.

ACDawnes
ACDawnes
64 Followers
12